*Official* Nixeus Fusion XS Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 116 Old 12-07-2011, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by royadams View Post

MitsuHelp

I would not bother.If you read this thread you will see that Nixeus has a proven track record of making many promises , but not delivering.

avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1265806&highlight=nixeus

They only developed their last product (The Fusion) for six months or so before moving on , leaving many users upset,despite many promises to the contray.

Suggest that you look at one of the many other Andorid players that other people are bringing to market - Nixeus has many let down customers me for one!!

Well who hasn't promised then stuck it to us (Boxee for a good example).

I will keep watching and since December 15 is my wife's birthday....maybe I will get her one! hahahahha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 116 Old 12-07-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Well who hasn't promised then stuck it to us (Boxee for a good example).

I will keep watching and since December 15 is my wife's birthday....maybe I will get her one! hahahahha

Loaded.....Cocked........Trigger Pulled!

We will see what happens! Just ordered from Amazon

Items Ordered Price
1 of: Nixeus Fusion XS (NX-500) Network Media Player [Electronics]
Condition: New
Sold by: Gdget-N-Gizmo (seller profile)

I just bought: 'Nixeus Fusion XS (NX-500) Network Media Player' by Nixeus
www.amazon.com
From the Manufacturer The Nixeus Fusion XS is powered by the Award Winning Marvell ARMADA 1000 (88DE3010) chipset. Featuring a dual-core processor combined with an indepe....
post #33 of 116 Old 12-18-2011, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Just ordered mines today... hopefully it arrives by Xmas because that will be the only time I get to play with it... going to test my files with this Qdeo thingy and compare it to my other players....work is killing me

Cheers!

Cameron

post #34 of 116 Old 12-20-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Firmware needs to grow a lot.

I received mine saturday and hooked it all up and I had zero audio going to my avr, got ahold of support Monday, firmware that I had did not support passthrough. New firmware on monday fixed audio issues. But there is no sort options. When you open up a network folder. The first icon could be zzzzzzz.mkv and the 50th item could bot a.mkv It randomly puts the file list for you to view and I have some items missing in the view also,

As for other things none of my upnp servers show up not sure if this is supported or not have not herd anything, The UI is nice the apps are nice, upscaling is good. getting to the media horrible.
post #35 of 116 Old 12-20-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfelite View Post

Firmware needs to grow a lot.

I received mine saturday and hooked it all up and I had zero audio going to my avr, got ahold of support Monday, firmware that I had did not support passthrough. New firmware on monday fixed audio issues. But there is no sort options. When you open up a network folder. The first icon could be zzzzzzz.mkv and the 50th item could bot a.mkv It randomly puts the file list for you to view and I have some items missing in the view also,

As for other things none of my upnp servers show up not sure if this is supported or not have not herd anything, The UI is nice the apps are nice, upscaling is good. getting to the media horrible.

I second your views How is your luck with external HDDs? I have had the review unit for the last 1 week, but only able to play media off my NAS / Samba shares. USB drives (external HDDs) either don't get recognized or get recognized as LOCALHOST with only root level folders visible. Firmware needs a lot of fixes. It looks like Nixeus rushed out in order to get some holiday season sales (can't blame them!)

As always, I suggest people wait for reviews from non-partisan sources before committing to a purchase

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #36 of 116 Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have not used usb drives everything in my house is on my NAS

I was disappointed they took away all the options under setup from the review unit you had and posted the screenshots on anandtech.
post #37 of 116 Old 12-20-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I have not used usb drives everything in my house is on my NAS

I was disappointed they took away all the options under setup from the review unit you had and posted the screenshots on anandtech.

Yes, that was a surprise for me too The firmware developers have a lot on their plates right now, but I expect that many of the options will return in a couple of updates [ except for the Blu-ray related items like BD-Live ].

I am more worried about the fact that none of the Marvell based media streamers have got good reviews (the Kaiboer K860i, in particular). Companies like Zinwell, which took up the same SoC for their STBs, have also dropped out from the race. I think it is now left to Nixeus's firmware devs to save the day.

Ganesh T S
Sr. Editor, AnandTech Inc.
post #38 of 116 Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

I don't have anything on UPnP except my Smart Phone... I use SAMBA and everything is either on my NAS (4TB), external USB HDD (2TB), PC, and my Fusion HD's internal HDD... tracking shows mines going to be delivered tomorrow. Will see how it goes if I have some time tomorrow...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #39 of 116 Old 12-24-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Have you guys tested any anime fansubs encoded in the newer 10bit format? Do they play back?

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #40 of 116 Old 12-25-2011, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think they had some videos on Youtube showing this unit playing 10 bit samples. The stylized subtitles weren't handled very well though as it ignored the font and styling the fansubbers used. It did better than the Dune though as it at least displayed the multiple subs at the same time but it was not as good as the Boxee Box which does the best job of handling anime subtitles.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #41 of 116 Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

Have you guys tested any anime fansubs encoded in the newer 10bit format? Do they play back?

I tried several 10bit files I got from anime subbers over the week and they all playback including ones with 720p with 16 Reframes (With some artifacts). I'm getting the 1080p versions now - some of them are quite large and almost the same as a regular 8bit in size, isn't one of the reasons why the subbers went 10bit was to reduce the file size?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 6 Pack View Post

I think they had some videos on Youtube showing this unit playing 10 bit samples. The stylized subtitles weren't handled very well though as it ignored the font and styling the fansubbers used. It did better than the Dune though as it at least displayed the multiple subs at the same time but it was not as good as the Boxee Box which does the best job of handling anime subtitles.

I'm not sure exactly what you are talking about - but, all the English subs showed up on the 10bit anime files I tried out so far and they look fine to me..

Cheers!

Cameron
post #42 of 116 Old 12-25-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

i tested a few this is the report from nixeus on the 10bit stuff

1080: If it has over 10 Reference Frames it may not play and you get that error message (Same for MKV files)... We tested it with up to 9 reference frames and some playback.

720p and lower resolutions: It should play up to 16 reference frames.

But with no options to output aac to multichannel pcm and strange audio issue its still a buggy product needs some lovin to it.,
post #43 of 116 Old 12-25-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 71
No multichannel aac support and I imagine the same holds true for multichannel flac. This is a not ready for prime-time product. I'll wait.

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #44 of 116 Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi View Post

No multichannel aac support and I imagine the same holds true for multichannel flac. This is a not ready for prime-time product. I'll wait.

That kills it for a lot of anime viewing since most of those files usually have AAC tracks or 5.1 FLAC audio. I saw a couple videos online that were showing the subtitles and they didn't have the styling or fonts just basic system subtitles. I left a comment on one of the videos and someone from their team responded saying they were still working on it so they might have fixed it. I was just going of what I saw in the videos they had on Youtube.

Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand.
post #45 of 116 Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been in contact with nixeus through phone and there forum trying to hammer out these audio issues so hopefully we can get a nice working product going.
post #46 of 116 Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 AM
Advanced Member

An unboxing from Linus Tech Tips YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfcu75I5nI

Cheers!

Cameron
post #47 of 116 Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster View Post

An unboxing from Linus Tech Tips YouTube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHfcu75I5nI

This guy needs to test this before he reads and says (mistakenly) that you can install any android app that you want! I have found very little that actually work, some don't even install!

I hope to see some serious improvement SOON!
post #48 of 116 Old 01-02-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

changing the device profile will help a lot of apps install. Im still waiting for audio to be fixed before i mess with that much. but its very easy to make the device seem like its another device.
post #49 of 116 Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:

changing the device profile will help a lot of apps install. Im still waiting for audio to be fixed before i mess with that much. but its very easy to make the device seem like its another device.

According to what I see when logging into the market via browser, the market says it can't find a compatible device.....if you look at the supported devices, it's NOT there!!
post #50 of 116 Old 01-03-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

According to what I see when logging into the market via browser, the market says it can't find a compatible device.....if you look at the supported devices, it's NOT there!!

that is why you edit build.prop to make it show as a different device. I do the same with my hp touchpad. The best option would be if someone knew the information from a googletv 2 device that had the market as im thinking it ran arm also and would have the dpi set and everything.
post #51 of 116 Old 01-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't had a chance to play with the Android Apps yet... I will try after work today now that I have more time after the holidays. So far the the picture quality is one of the best if not THE best I have seen so far - none or rarely any jagged edges on some of my m2ts and mkv files that I saw were present in my Sigma and Realtek players...no color banding either

Cheers!

Cameron
post #52 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 999
I've got a de-interlacing torture test file here:

http://www.multiupload.com/880P1R6N5N

Can someone please test it? It fails on all Sigma based players (lots of stutter and combing artifacts in the ticker). Realtek partially works but not very good upscaling quality.

Thanks.
post #53 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post

Can someone please test it? It fails on all Sigma based players (lots of stutter and combing artifacts in the ticker). Realtek partially works but not very good upscaling quality.

Thanks.

Just downloaded it... what am I suppose to look for? For it to pass are you saying the ticker part has to be smooth and clear like the non moving texts on the show? I'm watching it on my PC right now with WM and VLC and the words in the moving ticker look jagged and stuff... my brother has the Fusion XS in his room - so I will test it tomorrow when I have a chance...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #54 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Just downloaded it... what am I suppose to look for? For it to pass are you saying the ticker part has to be smooth and clear like the non moving texts on the show? I'm watching it on my PC right now with WM and VLC and the words in the moving ticker look jagged and stuff... my brother has the Fusion XS in his room - so I will test it tomorrow when I have a chance...

That's right. The text should flow smoothly across the screen without changing speed or stuttering randomly. You should not see jagged or ghosted edges as seen in the images here:

http://neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

Thanks for checking.

-Mark
post #55 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Just noticed this product on the NCIX advert. and got interested because it ran Android and can do YAMJ.

I haven't been able to find much info on how the UI works with YAMJ. When you select VIDEO does it do what all the other media players do and list the devices (USB, network, etc) and then you have to go into each device to find the movie? Or will it be able to do what YAMJ can and aggregate all the content from the devices set in the YAMJ config and display a movie wall as soon as you select VIDEO?

I would be nice to be able to configure it like this so the wife doesn't have remember what kids movie is on what device.
post #56 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:

That's right. The text should flow smoothly across the screen without changing speed or stuttering randomly. You should not see jagged or ghosted edges as seen in the images here:

http://neuron2.net/LVG/interlacing.html

Thanks for checking.

-Mark

WOW! That was an Awesome test!

I first tested it on the Fusion HD (NX-1000) and my Realtek players and I got the same results that you had.

I then tested it on the Fusion XS (NX-500) and for the first few seconds I got the same jagged, stuttering and ghosted edges on the stock ticker - BUT after a few seconds I guess the Qdeo kicked in and corrected it because it started flowing smooth and the quality was perfect!
Seeing it in action was pretty slick!

Is it okay for me to forward this test file to Nixeus so they can confirm for themselves?

Cheers!

Cameron
post #57 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckl_88 View Post

Just noticed this product on the NCIX advert. and got interested because it ran Android and can do YAMJ.

I haven't been able to find much info on how the UI works with YAMJ. When you select VIDEO does it do what all the other media players do and list the devices (USB, network, etc) and then you have to go into each device to find the movie? Or will it be able to do what YAMJ can and aggregate all the content from the devices set in the YAMJ config and display a movie wall as soon as you select VIDEO?

I would be nice to be able to configure it like this so the wife doesn't have remember what kids movie is on what device.

If you don't have YAMJ or Movie Flow set up, when you select the Video icon it list the devices (USB, network, etc) and you can go into the devices to select the movie.

If you have YAMJ or Movie Flow set up - when you select the VIDEO Icon it prompts you to activate it (index file) and it auto brings up the movie wall that is linked to the YAMJ index file that you selected. You could also set the path for the index file in the settings of the Fusion XS if you have multiple index files on the network or multiple usb drives... at this moment I think you have to set the index file you want to access in the settings for the storage device you want to access...

Cheers!

Cameron
post #58 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

WOW! That was an Awesome test!

I first tested it on the Fusion HD (NX-1000) and my Realtek players and I got the same results that you had.

I then tested it on the Fusion XS (NX-500) and for the first few seconds I got the same jagged, stuttering and ghosted edges on the stock ticker - BUT after a few seconds I guess the Qdeo kicked in and corrected it because it started flowing smooth and the quality was perfect!
Seeing it in action was pretty slick!

Is it okay for me to forward this test file to Nixeus so they can confirm for themselves?

Sure, you can forward to whoever you like. It's a very old 480i clip of Bloomberg channel I recorded from a cable QAM tuner back in 2007. Back then, I also forwarded it to Sigma. I guess you saw yourself that they never bothered to fix it, even on their latest chips and players.

I'm very glad that Marvell is getting into the media player business. Sigma has been selling the same buggy junk for the last few years. They keep introducing newer models instead of fixing basic functionality. Realtek is even worse since they target the extreme low-cost market with even less regard for image quality.

I may look into picking up the Fusion XS once the firmware has stabilized and I see more reviews.

Has anyone tested any proprietary web based flash video's through their web browser? Does a site like http://weeb.tv/channels work? It's a foreign site that some of my relatives like to use. Try different channels in case some of them are overloaded. Thanks.
post #59 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sure, you can forward to whoever you like. It's a very old 480i clip of Bloomberg channel I recorded from a cable QAM tuner back in 2007. Back then, I also forwarded it to Sigma. I guess you saw yourself that they never bothered to fix it, even on their latest chips and players.

I'm very glad that Marvell is getting into the media player business. Sigma has been selling the same buggy junk for the last few years. They keep introducing newer models instead of fixing basic functionality. Realtek is even worse since they target the extreme low-cost market with even less regard for image quality.

I may look into picking up the Fusion XS once the firmware has stabilized and I see more reviews.

Has anyone tested any proprietary web based flash video's through their web browser? Does a site like http://weeb.tv/channels work? It's a foreign site that some of my relatives like to use. Try different channels in case some of them are overloaded. Thanks.

I've been playing Justin.tv, Network (NBC, FOX), and some Asian streaming sites and it works - but some sites are blocked though (like hulu and some shows on CBS). I recommend using a mouse and keyboard so you can navigate to change the video to 1080p (if it is auto streaming at SD)... - but if there are overload of annoying pop-ups the Fusion XS kicks you out back to the main menu. This may be due to the pop-ups overwhelming the system memory (512MB). But I'll test your website to see if it works.

Cheers!

Cameron
post #60 of 116 Old 01-05-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, can someone please test this file (it's pretty old so try different download links if some have expired):

http://www.multiupload.com/DC13OD67UK

Check if seeking/skipping within the file is allowed during playback. The timestamps in this file wrap around because there is only room for about 26 hours of continuous broadcast possible in transport streams. It's very simple to handle the wrap-around, yet Sigma still can't do this after 5 years. From what I remember, Realtek reports the wrong time but at least allows some limited form of skipping.

Here is another 480i de-interlacing test that also uses telecine repeat flags. Originally recorded on my Tivo which played it just fine.

http://www.multiupload.com/PZGUDS9338

Check for stutter in the background as the camera pans across the scenery behind the eagle.

All these files come from various tuner cards I've been using the past few years. My HTPC file server records from cable/ota but I like using media streamers as quiet/low-power extenders to view in different rooms. Unfortunately, so far, all the various players are buggy when playing legitimate broadcast recordings. They all seem optimized for playing pirated MKV's, AVI's, etc.

-Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Nixeus Nx 500 Fusion Xs Network Media Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page