Cutting the cord, but how can I watch local news? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-16-2011, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, with the ever increasing cost for my cable, I want to dump cable and use some type of device to stream news, movies etc.

Done some research and have looked at products like roku, boxee, popcorn hour, googleTV as well as things like playon.tv, tversity and others.

At this time I am not interested in running a media server. This is just purely streaming of shows and movies.

With that in mind, are there better options that can take advantage of watching, not only local news but news channels as well, like BBC, Fox, CNN etc...

Secondly, any particular product perform better at HD streaming?
I have netflix and hulu plus accounts, so would like to take advantage of that.

I am testing out boxee right now and it seems pretty decent. Interface is nice, but seems like it is a young product.

Not interested in GoogleTV.

Thanks.

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-16-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
you'll want to look in this forum as this is the place to discuss internet based streaming.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=184

As for watching local news, use the tuner in your TV. It's free too.

-Suntan
post #3 of 10 Old 03-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Don't. lol. Sorry. It is my personal hell to watch the local news and I'm a bit of a news junky. Local news crews are some of the most idiotic buffoons. It is absolutely painful. /rant off

Yes, the tuner works. Sorry for the rant.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-16-2011, 02:45 PM

You can get local news with a digital antenna connected to your TV's coaxial/RF hookup. Reception quality and number of channels will depend on your distance from the nearest broadcast tower, and line-of-sight on that tower. You can use AntennaWeb.org to determine what the over-the-air digital TV options are for your location. You can just enter in your ZIP code if you don't want to give specific location details.

BBC, CNN, and Fox News are customarily limited to cable or satellite services. The Roku (and likely others) has access to unofficial channels that will add BBC and CNN International. The picture quality is pretty bad, but the content is free. The Roku officially has access to pre-recorded video and audio "casts" for all three of those news outlets. You can also watch the previous day's episode of the nightly news of the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC).

As for HD streaming, Boxee and Roku do 720p and 1080p. Apple TV is currently limited to 720p. However, there is currently not a lot of 1080p streaming content anyway. Both the Boxee and the Roku support Netflix and Hulu Plus. The Roku also supports Amazon VOD and Amazon Prime subscriber streaming. The Boxee costs about twice as much because it can also act as networked media streamer, and it has an SD card reader and two USB ports. A list of the Boxee's supported media formats can be found in the FAQ on their website.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

you'll want to look in this forum as this is the place to discuss internet based streaming.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...ysprune=&f=184

As for watching local news, use the tuner in your TV. It's free too.

-Suntan

Unfortunately, I dont have a tuner in my TV. I bought a commercial line TV with no builtin tuner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuri View Post

You can get local news with a digital antenna connected to your TV's coaxial/RF hookup. Reception quality and number of channels will depend on your distance from the nearest broadcast tower, and line-of-sight on that tower. You can use AntennaWeb.org to determine what the over-the-air digital TV options are for your location. You can just enter in your ZIP code if you don't want to give specific location details.

BBC, CNN, and Fox News are customarily limited to cable or satellite services. The Roku (and likely others) has access to unofficial channels that will add BBC and CNN International. The picture quality is pretty bad, but the content is free. The Roku officially has access to pre-recorded video and audio "casts" for all three of those news outlets. You can also watch the previous day's episode of the nightly news of the major networks (CBS, ABC, NBC).

As for HD streaming, Boxee and Roku do 720p and 1080p. Apple TV is currently limited to 720p. However, there is currently not a lot of 1080p streaming content anyway. Both the Boxee and the Roku support Netflix and Hulu Plus. The Roku also supports Amazon VOD and Amazon Prime subscriber streaming. The Boxee costs about twice as much because it can also act as networked media streamer, and it has an SD card reader and two USB ports. A list of the Boxee's supported media formats can be found in the FAQ on their website.

Thanks for the help. SInce I dont have a builtin tuner, it makes things a little more interesting.

Boxee, Roku and Popcorn hour are interesting.
AppleTV looks good, but I dont want to pay 99 cents an episode.
GoogleTV, im just not a fan of google.
Still debating if I want to have a media server to hold my personal stuff for streaming. As of now, want to stream TV and drop cable.

Thanks for the help!

J
post #6 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.williams14 View Post

I am testing out boxee right now and it seems pretty decent. Interface is nice, but seems like it is a young product.

Try here...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20002438

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #7 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
You can get an external ATSC tuner for monitors that don't have them built in.

Newegg has a couple I know.

-Suntan
post #8 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Check out the websites for your local news. One of my local stations streams a live telecast. When they go to commercial they switch to city traffic cams.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM

I have two external tuners that put out HD. One of them is connected to a computer monitor in the basement, the other is waiting for a projector to feed. I bought each of them for less than $100, they are probably cheaper now.

Old Samsung dish tuners had built in HD recievers that still work fine, that is what I have in the basement. They were still being sold on fleabay the last time I looked.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-17-2011, 11:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.williams14 View Post

Unfortunately, I dont have a tuner in my TV.

The best deal out there on a new, standalone, HD model that I know of right now would be the RTC DTA1100HD, sold on ebay under the item #130476536503.

It's better to get a recent model than an older one, as the older ATSC tuner's reception chips aren't as advanced (the newest are more sensitive and better at handling multipath). And you're likely to pay as much for an older, used one, anyway.

There is a dedicated thread for it in the "HDTV Technical" forum here (search under "Centronics" - it's the same box sold by a different company). It's probably the most popular seller of the current models on that forum.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page