Which is best wireless router choice? Netgear N450 WNDR4000 or N300 WNDR3800 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 416 Old 09-04-2011, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP999
Does the Clear Channel work with any laptop that has N capability? Or do I have to buy a new wireless adapter?

ALso, same question about the dual bands - will it work with any laptop that has "N" wifi?

Thanks

Frank
Yes the clear channel works with any n laptop or device. But note that clear channel is operating in the 2.4ghz band only. Which is the crowded band where you need it.

Dual band requires a device that supports the 5ghz band as well as the 2.4. Most MacBooks do. iPads do. Apple tv does As well as most but not all current non budget laptops. The primary advantage to 5ghz is it is less crowded then the 2.4 so it is ideal for things like media streaming. The 3800 has a video mode that really majestic the most of the 5ghz band that really does a good job streaming video But it also has the downside in that it's range is not as good as 2.4ghz.

If you don't have a dual band device don't fret. You will soon I am sure and the 3800 will have everything you will need.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 416 Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. I ordered a 3800 from buy . com and cannot wait!
post #273 of 416 Old 09-05-2011, 04:07 AM

Bob,
Can I use a USB port extension hub- (not sure that is the right name) - that turns one USB into 4? buy com shipped my 3800 - will be here Thurs

Thanks
post #274 of 416 Old 09-05-2011, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankP999 View Post

Bob,
Can I use a USB port extension hub- (not sure that is the right name) - that turns one USB into 4? buy com shipped my 3800 - will be here Thurs

Thanks

Sure you can use a USB hub for a drive and printer as example.

Bob
post #275 of 416 Old 09-05-2011, 09:07 PM

That's great Thanks

Frank
post #276 of 416 Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammiepak View Post

Having read this whole thread it all seems to be about compromise, everybody having to prioritise different features of the 3700, 3800 and 4000.

Next time you have a chat with the guys at Netgear Bob, can you ask them if they could manufacture one device, charge a slight premium for it that has all the benefits of:

3700 built in Modem
3800 great features people want
4000 faster speed.

There have to be huge benefits in economies of scale and support of selling one device. I would be happy to pay more than the $150 it looks like amazon will be selling the 3700 for if I could have it all.

I would just like Netgear to support the owners that have 3700 v1 and v2.

My 3700 v2 constantly drops internet connection, even though sometimes it shows it connected, requiring reboot every several days or sometimes several times each day. This seems to be an ongoing problem for a lot of owners of these modems and is discussed in the Netgear forums. Some say it is not recognizing the DNS automatically after awhile for new sites, but will still work on open connections in the browser and suggest putting in your own DNS primary and secondary address to keep the connection open when looking up new sites versus obtaining automatically, but I am finding this still does not solve the problem 100% and Netgear needs fix the glitches with an update.

I should have a router that works correctly, especially a common function like accessing websites.

I shouldn't have to go out and buy a new router with new firmware that supposedly is the newest and latest fix since I just bought this one a few weeks ago and this new improved version wasn't available.

I have heard some owners are flashing their V2's with the 3800's firmware since it is essentially the same modem inside except for ram configurations and they are working correctly with the 1.0.0.16 firmware. Is that what I have to do to get it to function correctly?
post #277 of 416 Old 09-07-2011, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1701 View Post

I would just like Netgear to support the owners that have 3700 v1 and v2.

My 3700 v2 constantly drops internet connection, even though sometimes it shows it connected, requiring reboot every several days or sometimes several times each day. This seems to be an ongoing problem for a lot of owners of these modems and is discussed in the Netgear forums. Some say it is not recognizing the DNS automatically after awhile for new sites, but will still work on open connections in the browser and suggest putting in your own DNS primary and secondary address to keep the connection open when looking up new sites versus obtaining automatically, but I am finding this still does not solve the problem 100% and Netgear needs fix the glitches with an update.

I should have a router that works correctly, especially a common function like accessing websites.

I shouldn't have to go out and buy a new router with new firmware that supposedly is the newest and latest fix since I just bought this one a few weeks ago and this new improved version wasn't available.

I have heard some owners are flashing their V2's with the 3800's firmware since it is essentially the same modem inside except for ram configurations and they are working correctly with the 1.0.0.16 firmware. Is that what I have to do to get it to function correctly?

Well you are having a rare problem with youtr 3700. 100,00's have been sold and there is no indemic issue. I have been using a 3700 V1 unit for years without these issues.

A lot of it is tied to your isp. As example I have 2 homes with 3700's in each. My 2nd home has Wild Blue and I often get the internet dropped error. But my main home has Verizon dsl and that never happens.

Might I suggest this. Make sure your 3700 is updated to the latest firmware just to be on the safe side.

Download the Netgear Genie SW http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_f...TGEARGenie.asp which will work with the 3700. That will give you a good picture of what is happening. And you may try and use the Google DNS servers which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If that doesn't help your 3700 is under warranty and you may just ask for a replacement. But again I assure the router design itself is solid as evidenced by the thousand here on AVS.

Regarding the 3800 firmware that will be a surefire way to brick the 3700. It may look like it works but many things will be erratic or not function properly. The 3800 and 3700 are very close cousins but are not the same. So beware. Oh and 3700/3800 DO NOT have modems.

Bob
post #278 of 416 Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Well you are having a rare problem with youtr 3700. 100,00's have been sold and there is no indemic issue. I have been using a 3700 V1 unit for years without these issues.

A lot of it is tied to your isp. As example I have 2 homes with 3700's in each. My 2nd home has Wild Blue and I often get the internet dropped error. But my main home has Verizon dsl and that never happens.

Might I suggest this. Make sure your 3700 is updated to the latest firmware just to be on the safe side.

Download the Netgear Genie SW http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_f...TGEARGenie.asp which will work with the 3700. That will give you a good picture of what is happening. And you may try and use the Google DNS servers which are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If that doesn't help your 3700 is under warranty and you may just ask for a replacement. But again I assure the router design itself is solid as evidenced by the thousand here on AVS.

Regarding the 3800 firmware that will be a surefire way to brick the 3700. It may look like it works but many things will be erratic or not function properly. The 3800 and 3700 are very close cousins but are not the same. So beware. Oh and 3700/3800 DO NOT have modems.

Bob

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I had read where others in the Netgear forums were having similiar issues and most were cable modems. Nowhere did anyone mention their modems being in the bridge mode. I had started a thread and several said they were having the DNS issue also and had put in DNS addresses like you suggested for Google and it seem to help.

One person asked if I had put my Westell modem in bridge mode. I had not given it much thought since I had come from 2Wire gateways that I bought from ATT over the past 6 years.
Funny thing was I remembered the 2wire gateway was setup in a bridge LLC, which I supposed was because it was a router and modem combo but never gave it another thought on the Westell since it was a straight or I thought it was, modem. When the 2nd one started having problems I asked if they had anything based on the N protocols and they said no, not yet so I got the Netgear router for the N capabilities.

Seems it, the Westell is also a router and can be configred in a Bridged Ethernet mode, but I never went that far in the menu so I didn't see it until KevTech pointed me to a Westell link talking about it and problems with DNS and Nat being duplicated if hook up to a Linksys or other routers.

They quote:****The Westell DSL modem is also a router with full DHCP functions and may not function correctly when connected directly to another router or router/IAD. Not changing the modem to Bridged Ethernet will result in a double NAT translation, which will cause increased latency, possible IP conflicts, and/or routing issues, and can lead to one-way audio or dropped VoIP connections.

So I made the changes and we will see if that was the problem. I hope it was because I like the router and we are getting great speeds out in both wired and wireless. I might eventually get a 3800 and would have if I could have waited or had known they would have been out this soon, but this is serving its purpose.

Ping rates are low 28ms and 0-1 jitter and 6100 kbps down and 432 kbps. Our ATT connection usually shows 8000kbps down and 512 kbps up and we are on the 6.0 extreme package with fiber optic up to the house so I think we're doing good to get that speed.

One thing on the Netgear Genie, it shows that router does not support Guest Access capabilities when I know it does and also no traffic meter capabilities. Any ideas why it does this and why can't you get into other function areas like setup, media, etc. I have more access in the other software that comes with the 3700. Am I missing something on how to access these other function areas?
Thanks,
Al
post #279 of 416 Old 09-08-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Bob

From what I have been reading, owners of the wndr3700v2 are having great success loading the most current 3800 firmware on there routers. I hope this is not the case that I just spent $150.00 for a router with a tad more memory and a red face plate, and owners of the 3700v2 are getting all the same features for free. There was even posts on the netgear forum asking about when the current 3800 firmware would be back up for download before the 3800 was even released. I hope netgear does something quick to stop this practice before purchaser like myself feel gigged by the system. Users are reporting all features work and the firmware is stable on their 3700v2 and are loading 1.0.0.16 per TFTP. The whole bricking thing, non-stability, and non working features is not turning out to be the case from users reports in the real world.

A post "August 5th" (prior to release date) on the Netgear forum:

"weeeeeee, thanks Team NG, wndr3800 firmware V.1.0.0.16 is live!!
flashed and rockin, i lubb my rangemax"!

A post today on Netgear forum:

"I was considering the 3800 firmware since I had read the 3700 v2 were similiar in build except for RAM and others had flashed them and they were working, but Bob over on AVS forum said it could brick them even though they seemed to be working fine., that outwardly they are similiar but inside there are some differences, so I don't know. Maybe someone will actually take a 3800 apart to compare them and find they are the same they just don't want us to know that so we don't flash them and get a 3800 essentially working in a 3700 box".

Posts on dd-wrt forum:

"thanks to team NG, the latest firmware for the wndr3800 is now live on the support page (finally) so go get your V.1.0.0.16 and enjoy the new features,, oops i tftp it to my 3700v2, walla, its now a premium router,,. thanks"

"clear channel is working just fine, and usb printer on readyshare works too,
so i guess the netgear av consultant was wrong, or is he just hoping we buy 3800's for the pretty new color plastic,,, this upgrade works very well for my 3700v2, i say go for it, upgrade to 3800, imo, you will like it"

"it did work fine for me and my router is running stable,.
a friend of mine flashed his 3700 intitially with the v1.0.0.13 wndr3800 fw from the NG FTP, then he was able to use the fw web interface to upgrade to v1.0.0.16, so it not only shows its a 3800 now, it acts like one too"!

In other words Bob: I hope you get the word of this practice back to Netgear. At least Netgear should find a way to stop non purchasers from using the cloud service on high jacked firmware, then I could sleep at night! Hope I did not pay $150.00 for nothing, and could have got an upgrade to a premium router for free. Maybe they should yank the firmware for download sooner rather than later until they figure out how to protect us who purchased the product legitimately and in good faith....
post #280 of 416 Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl326 View Post

From what I have been reading, owners of the wndr3700v2 are having great success loading the most current 3800 firmware on there routers. I hope this is not the case that I just spent $150.00 for a router with a tad more memory and a red face plate, and owners of the 3700v2 are getting all the same features for free.

That sucks. I'll wait for official response. I have a 4000, so I doubt I'll try the firmware.

There are 75 on ebay now. Word will get out.
post #281 of 416 Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Yay--just got a note from Amazon saying my 3800 has shipped!

It'll be here Monday, if the tracking stuff is to be believed...
post #282 of 416 Old 09-09-2011, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

In other words Bob: I hope you get the word of this practice back to Netgear. At least Netgear should find a way to stop non purchasers from using the cloud service on high jacked firmware, then I could sleep at night! Hope I did not pay $150.00 for nothing, and could have got an upgrade to a premium router for free. Maybe they should yank the firmware for download sooner rather than later until they figure out how to protect us who purchased the product legitimately and in good faith....

Go back and finish reading the comments on the thread. Flashing the 3800's firmware apparently does not give all the functionality to the 3700v2. In fact, some of the changes are bad, such as revealing one password to anyone with access to the LAN and also not requiring an admin password. I don't consider those to be "upgrades".

If you believe one part of the thread, which is overpopulated by those with low post counts or pumped up with post counts from that thread alone (yeah, I know I have a low post count too), then you should give the same credence to those who later on discuss the limitations of this "hack".

Because some people found a neat little trick with their box doesn't take away from the rest of us enjoying what we will have in the 3800. There does not seem to be parity between the two models. Otherwise, your ire should be directed solely at Netgear for what would have been charging more for a firmware upgrade to an existing platform. Yet that is a perfectly acceptable practice as well.

There will always be people who work angles and shortcuts. Don't let them get you down. Be happy that you are getting exactly what was promised to you. The others may eek out some new functionality but not as much, or potentially as stable, as your new 3800, especially considering potential future upgrades.

Otherwise, return your 3800 and get a 3700v2.
post #283 of 416 Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 PM

This is not a rag on Bob, just a hope with his connections he may get this info back to Netgear, due to a fact that trying to explain this to their farmed out tech support would be all but impossible. I still believe that Netgear has a responsibility to those that purchase and support their products the right way, in addition they will lose sales due to firmware highjacking. I have no doubt that all Bob's posts have been in good faith and honest in regards to information as he knows it.
post #284 of 416 Old 09-10-2011, 08:32 PM

Hang in there NightOwl. I received my 3800 today and it is sweet. Installation was smooth and fast. There was a firmware update available, from v1.0.0.16 to v.1.0.018 which took a couple minutes to complete.

Somewhere along the line tonight, and I don't know where or when, I saw that this firmware also brought functionality to other Netgear wireless router models, so Netgear would appear to know what "cross-flashing" accomplishes.

So far so good. Clear Channel works. Controls are fairly intuitive if you've set up a wireless router before. There is brief documentation built into the GUI. Will be checking out more functions and settings over the coming days. This is going to be fun!

***EDIT***

Read another thread of a Mac user having problems with his installation. One problem he had was with NETGEAR Genie. you are prompted to download it soon after opening up a browser window during the router's installation process. I ran this saved Application installation manually later on after checking out the browser GUI that is also called NETGEAR Genie just like the application you download. After installing the downloaded Genie application, it places an icon on your desktop, starts up on boot and places itself in the system tray, and has some added functionality. You can tweak it to not autostart.

Unfortunately, the separate Genie application conflicts with something and causes the wireless connection to drop. I can see my network, I can connect to it, but I get disconnected as soon as I close the Wireless Network Connection window used to (re-) connect. This occurs even if I exit the system tray Genie icon, presumably stopping it from running. I did try a "repair" of the wireless network connection which said it didn't work because it could not complete "Cleaning the DNS cache" but I ended up with a functioning connection. Go figure. No joy if I restart as the Genie App disconnects the notebook's adapter all over again.

The kicker is, once the Genie application is uninstalled, the connection works as expected without messing around. I can use the browser GUI to change settings but I don't have the extras the separate Genie application provides.

Anyone with ideas on what's going on?
post #285 of 416 Old 09-11-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Stratmanx - remove the wireless device from your device manager. Reboot and let it find itself again and then see if that resolves anything.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #286 of 416 Old 09-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Stratmanx - remove the wireless device from your device manager. Reboot and let it find itself again and then see if that resolves anything.

Thanks for the tip, cburbs. No joy. No change.

Uninstalled wireless device, rebooted, installed wireless device. Still same problems with the Genie application. No problems with the browser GUI Genie. The Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility usually sees the 3800 will lose and then re-aquire the signal.

If this application Genie is not installed, or Genie is set to not boot at start up, wireless seems to run properly. Once I start Genie from the desktop icon, then the problems reoccur.

With a wired connection - no problems with network. Whether wired or wireless, the wireless connection gets dropped when you open a browser window. Can reconnect but within seconds is dropped again.

Using notebook Dell Vostro 1400, a work computer that has next to nothing installed and cleaned of some but not all of the Dell crap. Updated and scanned with Malwarebytes and Norton Internet Security 2012. Cut some non-essential processes from running at boot, like Adobe Reader_sl.exe.

Is this a conflict of Genie with something else installed on the Vostro or is it a broken Genie that won't get out of his bottle? Maybe he doesn't like the new firmware 1.0.0.18. Never used 1.0.0.16 - did the update after install before configuring, but you'd think others would be having the same issues.
post #287 of 416 Old 09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Are you using Winxp or Win7. Truthfully if you are using the Dell utility for wireless that may be part of your problem. Don't remove the software but disable it from startup and use the windows built in wireless. The dell stuff is usually a crapshoot and 80% of the time crap from my experience.

I have the genie running on my HP laptop with win7 and my PC with win7 and no issues. Running newest firmware as well.

Let me know if the above helps -

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #288 of 416 Old 09-12-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Are you using Winxp or Win7. Truthfully if you are using the Dell utility for wireless that may be part of your problem. Don't remove the software but disable it from startup and use the windows built in wireless. The dell stuff is usually a crapshoot and 80% of the time crap from my experience.

That did the trick, cburbs. Thank you!

As my 86 yo uncle says, PFM. (Pure F'n Magic)
post #289 of 416 Old 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

That did the trick, cburbs. Thank you!

As my 86 yo uncle says, PFM. (Pure F'n Magic)

Now that made me laugh -

Glad that did the trick -

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #290 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 04:43 AM

Liked: 12
Here's a decent price for anyone interested in a WNDR4000

Use promo code EMCKAJG29 during checkout to get the 4000 for $120 shipped - Promo good through 9-14-11
post #291 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1701 View Post

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I had read where others in the Netgear forums were having similiar issues and most were cable modems. Nowhere did anyone mention their modems being in the bridge mode. I had started a thread and several said they were having the DNS issue also and had put in DNS addresses like you suggested for Google and it seem to help.

One person asked if I had put my Westell modem in bridge mode. I had not given it much thought since I had come from 2Wire gateways that I bought from ATT over the past 6 years.
Funny thing was I remembered the 2wire gateway was setup in a bridge LLC, which I supposed was because it was a router and modem combo but never gave it another thought on the Westell since it was a straight or I thought it was, modem. When the 2nd one started having problems I asked if they had anything based on the N protocols and they said no, not yet so I got the Netgear router for the N capabilities.

Seems it, the Westell is also a router and can be configred in a Bridged Ethernet mode, but I never went that far in the menu so I didn't see it until KevTech pointed me to a Westell link talking about it and problems with DNS and Nat being duplicated if hook up to a Linksys or other routers.

They quote:****The Westell DSL modem is also a router with full DHCP functions and may not function correctly when connected directly to another router or router/IAD. Not changing the modem to Bridged Ethernet will result in a double NAT translation, which will cause increased latency, possible IP conflicts, and/or routing issues, and can lead to one-way audio or dropped VoIP connections.

So I made the changes and we will see if that was the problem. I hope it was because I like the router and we are getting great speeds out in both wired and wireless. I might eventually get a 3800 and would have if I could have waited or had known they would have been out this soon, but this is serving its purpose.

Ping rates are low 28ms and 0-1 jitter and 6100 kbps down and 432 kbps. Our ATT connection usually shows 8000kbps down and 512 kbps up and we are on the 6.0 extreme package with fiber optic up to the house so I think we're doing good to get that speed.

One thing on the Netgear Genie, it shows that router does not support Guest Access capabilities when I know it does and also no traffic meter capabilities. Any ideas why it does this and why can't you get into other function areas like setup, media, etc. I have more access in the other software that comes with the 3700. Am I missing something on how to access these other function areas?
Thanks,
Al

I have a westtel dsl modem and it must be put in routed bridge mode. It normally is set up in dhcp mode and can conflict with the router.

Regarding the Genie on the 3700 I have only used basic functions. But to get guest nets and traffic meter go into the 3700 setup area to activate those features. I know they work since I use both. The Genie was designed with the 3800 in mind. I don't know if Netgear is planning a 3700 firmware update to better integrate it with the 3700.

Bob
post #292 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

From what I have been reading, owners of the wndr3700v2 are having great success loading the most current 3800 firmware on there routers. I hope this is not the case that I just spent $150.00 for a router with a tad more memory and a red face plate, and owners of the 3700v2 are getting all the same features for free. There was even posts on the netgear forum asking about when the current 3800 firmware would be back up for download before the 3800 was even released. I hope netgear does something quick to stop this practice before purchaser like myself feel gigged by the system. Users are reporting all features work and the firmware is stable on their 3700v2 and are loading 1.0.0.16 per TFTP. The whole bricking thing, non-stability, and non working features is not turning out to be the case from users reports in the real world.

A post "August 5th" (prior to release date) on the Netgear forum:

"weeeeeee, thanks Team NG, wndr3800 firmware V.1.0.0.16 is live!!
flashed and rockin, i lubb my rangemax"!

A post today on Netgear forum:

"I was considering the 3800 firmware since I had read the 3700 v2 were similiar in build except for RAM and others had flashed them and they were working, but Bob over on AVS forum said it could brick them even though they seemed to be working fine., that outwardly they are similiar but inside there are some differences, so I don't know. Maybe someone will actually take a 3800 apart to compare them and find they are the same they just don't want us to know that so we don't flash them and get a 3800 essentially working in a 3700 box".

Posts on dd-wrt forum:

"thanks to team NG, the latest firmware for the wndr3800 is now live on the support page (finally) so go get your V.1.0.0.16 and enjoy the new features,, oops i tftp it to my 3700v2, walla, its now a premium router,,. thanks"

"clear channel is working just fine, and usb printer on readyshare works too,
so i guess the netgear av consultant was wrong, or is he just hoping we buy 3800's for the pretty new color plastic,,, this upgrade works very well for my 3700v2, i say go for it, upgrade to 3800, imo, you will like it"

"it did work fine for me and my router is running stable,.
a friend of mine flashed his 3700 intitially with the v1.0.0.13 wndr3800 fw from the NG FTP, then he was able to use the fw web interface to upgrade to v1.0.0.16, so it not only shows its a 3800 now, it acts like one too"!

Let me be clear. The hardware is not the same. Close but not the same. The 3800 has twice the memory then the 3700. This is absolute with many of the added features to get acceptable performance. Second is Clear Channel. This is hardware based. Not in a 3700. And lastly is there are bugs in the .16 and earlier firmware plus add to that unknowns on the 3700. For me an infrastructure item like a router is not what I want to play hack a mole in. I need it to work.

Bob
post #293 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hang in there NightOwl. I received my 3800 today and it is sweet. Installation was smooth and fast. There was a firmware update available, from v1.0.0.16 to v.1.0.018 which took a couple minutes to complete.

Somewhere along the line tonight, and I don't know where or when, I saw that this firmware also brought functionality to other Netgear wireless router models, so Netgear would appear to know what "cross-flashing" accomplishes.

So far so good. Clear Channel works. Controls are fairly intuitive if you've set up a wireless router before. There is brief documentation built into the GUI. Will be checking out more functions and settings over the coming days. This is going to be fun!

***EDIT***

Read another thread of a Mac user having problems with his installation. One problem he had was with NETGEAR Genie. you are prompted to download it soon after opening up a browser window during the router's installation process. I ran this saved Application installation manually later on after checking out the browser GUI that is also called NETGEAR Genie just like the application you download. After installing the downloaded Genie application, it places an icon on your desktop, starts up on boot and places itself in the system tray, and has some added functionality. You can tweak it to not autostart.

Unfortunately, the separate Genie application conflicts with something and causes the wireless connection to drop. I can see my network, I can connect to it, but I get disconnected as soon as I close the Wireless Network Connection window used to (re-) connect. This occurs even if I exit the system tray Genie icon, presumably stopping it from running. I did try a "repair" of the wireless network connection which said it didn't work because it could not complete "Cleaning the DNS cache" but I ended up with a functioning connection. Go figure. No joy if I restart as the Genie App disconnects the notebook's adapter all over again.

The kicker is, once the Genie application is uninstalled, the connection works as expected without messing around. I can use the browser GUI to change settings but I don't have the extras the separate Genie application provides.

Anyone with ideas on what's going on?

Are you using a Mac? Not sure from what you wrote. But if you are Genie requires 10.6 currently. They are working to get it operating on 10.5 but it may be a while if at all. That is the latest that I know.

Bob
post #294 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:

Are you using a Mac? Not sure from what you wrote. But if you are Genie requires 10.6 currently. They are working to get it operating on 10.5 but it may be a while if at all. That is the latest that I know.

Thank you for the reply, Bob. I see you have been busy on the forum today.

Windows XP Pro. Problem solved with the help of fellow poster cburbs - disabled Dell wireless utility in services.msc.
post #295 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you for the reply, Bob. I see you have been busy on the forum today.

Windows XP Pro. Problem solved with the help of fellow poster cburbs - disabled Dell wireless utility in services.msc.

Yes I saw that advice. Glad others are here! I would not have thought to suggest that.

Bob
post #296 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I have worked with enough dells in my life that if you ask me the Dell wireless software causes more headaches than it is worth. Windows built in one works a lot nicer and doesn't give me that darn headache. Glad to be of service -

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #297 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
A couple months back I switched from Uverse to Comcast. With Uverse, their STB has a working Ethernet port in the back for MOCA networking. I used this to great effect for my Boxee and other connected devices in the home.

Now, Comcast does not offer a "hot" ethernet port, but does supply a low end Wireless router. (WNDR1000v2) This has proven insufficient in some respects, and I'm starting to think about upgrading the router.

How much of a performance boost would I see with the 3800 or 4000 WITHOUT an additional wireless bridge to take advantage of the 450 standard? Like just using the internal Boxee wireless N? Will it still be a good upgrade over the WNDR1000v2 I'm using, or am I better off waiting until I can get both a new router and a bridge, or going with a MOCA kit?
post #298 of 416 Old 09-13-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Might want to go the route of Moca as Comcast/Xfinity is currently testing boxes in the south with hot Moca ports and 4..yep 4 tuner DVR functionality. Just got an email showing the new browser/GUI and the 'coming soon' tag line. I'm gonna wait this one out til early 2012 as i've got a Netgear Moca pair already in play.
post #299 of 416 Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Should we now add the brand new WNDR4500 into the best-choice debate????
post #300 of 416 Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillytim View Post

Should we now add the brand new WNDR4500 into the best-choice debate????

This certainly would make sense. In my view the 4500 replaces the 4000 in this conversation. Because of the newer tech in the 4500 it makes the choice much more critical since each product really serves 2 different needs and problems. And I suspect you saw I did start a new thread comparing the 4500 to the 3800.

Bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page