Which is best wireless router choice? Netgear N450 WNDR4000 or N300 WNDR3800 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Over on the Netgear forum is a discussion about this WPS exploit. Seems some are reporting that even disabling the router's PIN is not enough, at least with certain models. All the more important to test for the exploit after performing the fix.
StratmanX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Member
 
graym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post

All the more important to test for the exploit after performing the fix.

I completely agree. I'll be testing the two models that I have access to (WNDR3700 and WNDR3800) and reporting back here. I should have more information by tomorrow evening.
graym is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Member
 
graym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update on WPS Security Testing:

With WPS enabled; I was able to retrieve the Pre Shared Key or passphrase on both the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800 using reaver. Both models behave in a similar manner; an exhaustive search of all 11,000 WPS keys takes about 48 hours. I got a bit lucky; I found the keys in about 9 hours on the WNDR3700 and 12 hours on the WNDR3800.

After disabling WPS on both the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800, the attack no longer worked. Both devices reported being "WPS locked" by reaver (or more specifically; walsh, a utility that comes with reaver).

I also tested a Cisco M20. The attack runs faster against the Cisco since there is no delay after a failed authentication; I had the key in about 5 hours. Also, I couldn't find anyway to disable WPS on this Cisco... not good!

I can't vouch for how other Netgear products behave, but the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800 both correctly disabled WPS and the corresponding vulnerability when the menu settings were changed.

I'm still baffled that this whole WPS vulnerability isn't getting much attention. In my opinion, this is the biggest wi-fi vulnerability since WEP was cracked about 10 years ago.
graym is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Swampfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 3,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by graym View Post

Update on WPS Security Testing:

With WPS enabled; I was able to retrieve the Pre Shared Key or passphrase on both the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800 using reaver. Both models behave in a similar manner; an exhaustive search of all 11,000 WPS keys takes about 48 hours. I got a bit lucky; I found the keys in about 9 hours on the WNDR3700 and 12 hours on the WNDR3800.

After disabling WPS on both the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800, the attack no longer worked. Both devices reported being "WPS locked" by reaver (or more specifically; walsh, a utility that comes with reaver).

I also tested a Cisco M20. The attack runs faster against the Cisco since there is no delay after a failed authentication; I had the key in about 5 hours. Also, I couldn't find anyway to disable WPS on this Cisco... not good!

I can't vouch for how other Netgear products behave, but the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800 both correctly disabled WPS and the corresponding vulnerability when the menu settings were changed.

I'm still baffled that this whole WPS vulnerability isn't getting much attention. In my opinion, this is the biggest wi-fi vulnerability since WEP was cracked about 10 years ago.

Yesterday I asked my IT guy if we had wireless up and running. He says "funny you should ask, the AP broke so I got a replacement" and points to a Cisco router. I go over the whole WPS thing, and he gives me the "I'll have to check on this om my own look". Today he told me that he decided to use a pre-WPS router he had in a closet. Not optimal, but saves me a $100, and since all critical connections are wired at work, and I plug in when I bring my laptop, it's OK. It's just funny that he picked the easiest to crack router, Murphy's law in action.
Swampfox is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by graym View Post

Update on WPS Security Testing:

After disabling WPS on both the WNDR3700 and WNDR3800, the attack no longer worked. Both devices reported being "WPS locked" by reaver (or more specifically; walsh, a utility that comes with reaver).

That's terrific news, graym. Thank you for testing!

I think the exploit is going to get more attention as more people become informed.
StratmanX is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Newbie
 
biscuit141's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Bob, not sure if you are still following this thread but I am in the market for a new router and have been looking heavily at the 3800, the only issue is I am an all Mac user. Is this router pretty mac friendly, or would I be better off looking at the new Mac specific router recently released, the WNDRMAC. i do like the feature set the 39800 has to offer.
biscuit141 is offline  
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post

Bob, not sure if you are still following this thread but I am in the market for a new router and have been looking heavily at the 3800, the only issue is I am an all Mac user. Is this router pretty mac friendly, or would I be better off looking at the new Mac specific router recently released, the WNDRMAC. i do like the feature set the 39800 has to offer.

Try on

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21396687

He was there on Christmas Day.
JoeKustra is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post

Bob, not sure if you are still following this thread but I am in the market for a new router and have been looking heavily at the 3800, the only issue is I am an all Mac user. Is this router pretty mac friendly, or would I be better off looking at the new Mac specific router recently released, the WNDRMAC. i do like the feature set the 39800 has to offer.

Im still here

Without hesitation get the 3800. It has the new UI and Time Machine support too.

The WNDRMAC is actually and older UI design. The 3800 is the start of the new generation of Netgear products.

I love mine!

Bob
bobsilver is offline  
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Im still here

Without hesitation get the 3800. It has the new UI and Time Machine support too.

The WNDRMAC is actually and older UI design. The 3800 is the start of the new generation of Netgear products.

I love mine!

Bob

I love my 4000. Question asked on 12/25:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the WND4000-100PAS and -100NAS ... there's almost a $100 price difference.... what is the difference?

Any clue?
JoeKustra is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there a place on the 3800 to tell what the wan ports are set at?

I know my dlink 655 you can set autonegotiate/10/100/1000.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Is there a place on the 3800 to tell what the wan ports are set at?

I know my dlink 655 you can set autonegotiate/10/100/1000.

Yes on the home page use the advance tab. You then then see what you wan ip address is and set up either dhcp or a static address. In fact I use a static address for my wan connection so my modem passes my ports forwards properly.

Bob
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Yes on the home page use the advance tab. You then then see what you wan ip address is and set up either dhcp or a static address. In fact I use a static address for my wan connection so my modem passes my ports forwards properly.

Bob

Found it - interesting item of note
LAN 3 100M/Full

The above is routed the following way -
It comes off the Netgear goes into the wall in the garage which then connects to the spare room opposite side of garage which then goes into a gigabit switch.

What would cause it to show 100M/Full?

Looks like that connection is setup as a loopback...

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Old 02-07-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post


Found it - interesting item of note
LAN 3 100M/Full

The above is routed the following way -
It comes off the Netgear goes into the wall in the garage which then connects to the spare room opposite side of garage which then goes into a gigabit switch.

What would cause it to show 100M/Full?

Looks like that connection is setup as a loopback...

Not sure on why it would show 100mb. I'd try another port. Then if that doesn't work reboot it all.

Bob
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JoeKustra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ashland, PA 17921
Posts: 6,700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Found it - interesting item of note
LAN 3 100M/Full

The above is routed the following way -
It comes off the Netgear goes into the wall in the garage which then connects to the spare room opposite side of garage which then goes into a gigabit switch.

What would cause it to show 100M/Full?

Looks like that connection is setup as a loopback...

Might be related:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20423897

Does your switch have speed colored LEDs? It's probably running at 1Gb.
JoeKustra is offline  
Old 02-08-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Not sure on why it would show 100mb. I'd try another port. Then if that doesn't work reboot it all.

Bob

Did you see my last statement - The connection in the garage that goes to the front room is wired green/green white and brown/brownwhite only.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
In dire need of replacing a 6yr old linksys that is falling apart, I read through much of this thread last night. On my usual Sunday morning Costco run, I was pleasantly surprised to find the WNDR3800 for $119.99.
Very easy to set up, will try to set up a time machine this afternoon.
saeyedoc is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
bobsilver -

In the past week I've bought and installed (not one but) two WNDR4000's in my home. I have some questions already posted in the TiVo Series 4 thread (at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21674454) so rather than ask them again here, I hope you will look there. If you want to post your answers here that's fine. My questions tend to be more "general wireless network" related than specific to the WNDR4000, but hopefully that's ok. Note that the MoCA Bridges I've ordered (should be here tomorrow) are NetGear MCAB1001's.

Edit: Additional questions are in this post -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21676219

Note: If you're curious, my old router was an FVS318 and old AccessPoint was a WPN802.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 02-21-2012, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

bobsilver -

In the past week I've bought and installed (not one but) two WNDR4000's in my home. I have some questions already posted in the TiVo Series 4 thread (at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21674454) so rather than ask them again here, I hope you will look there. If you want to post your answers here that's fine. My questions tend to be more "general wireless network" related than specific to the WNDR4000, but hopefully that's ok. Note that the MoCA Bridges I've ordered (should be here tomorrow) are NetGear MCAB1001's.

Edit: Additional questions are in this post -> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21676219

Note: If you're curious, my old router was an FVS318 and old AccessPoint was a WPN802.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

I went and read your post in the Tivo forum. I am not entirely certain what questions you need answering but let me give you some feedback

First Kudos on setting up the 2 routers into a router and access point. Great job. You did that correctly.

You asked about the security. You want to use the most current security which will give you best performance. But as you point out you have some older devices on your net., What I do is I use my 2.4 g net for data devices and ip cams. I use the 5g for media devices. I manage what connects to the 5 g net so I get maximum performance from it.

Yes when you connect a g only device it will bring the speed of your net down to that. What you may want to do is use your old router as a g access point set to a unique ssid that your older devices connect to. This will eliminate the bottleneck previously mentioned. You set it up the same by turning DHCP off, connecting a cat 5 wire and in this case create a unique ssid. Also look at the channels that the 4000 2.4 g is set to and make sure that each router is on a different channel. There are 12 or so and you want to be 4 digits apart. Meaning set one to 1, the next to 6, and the last to 11. Keep the 1 and 11 as far a part as possible.

I hope this gives you some added insight.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
^^^

Thanks for the reply. It provides me with some useful information.

I received my MCAB1001's a little while ago here at my office. As a quick test, I hooked them up as a link between a computer in my office and a nearby hub. They worked fine and it couldn't be more simple. Since I was unable to locate a clean pdf file for the manual for this device on the internet, I've uploaded it at the link below for the benefit of others that may be interested.

Now for a bit more clarification...

You indicated that "when you connect a G only device it will bring the speed of your net down to that". I also found a statement in the MCAB1001 manual that states "If any 802.11b devices are powered on in an 802.11g network, they can cause the entire network to slow to 802.11b speeds". I assume based on your statement that the same occurs on an 802.11n network with 802.11g devices. If the G devices are powered "On" (even if not actually in-use) they cause the entire network to drop down to G speeds, correct?

The MCAB1001 manual also suggests turning Off the SSID for the network in order to prevent nearby (unassociated) devices from hitting on it (my words) frequently and slowing the overall network. Six years ago when I first set up my old WPN802 I tried turning off the SSID, but then I seemed to always have trouble trying to get client devices to connect. Is there some trick I don't know about?

The MCAB manual confirms that it's normally best to use the Wireless-N 5Ghz for the HD side of things as you suggested. This is what I will do. Another question I had asked (in my second post in the TiVo thread) was concerning using the WPS button on the WNDR4000 with WPS enabled client devices (like the TiVo in particular). If the WNDR4000 has both G & N networks configured, WHICH one (or do BOTH) get auto-configured in the client device?

Also as far as [TKIP] and [AES] settings go... the WNDR4000 indicates during configuration that [TKIP] limits the network to G speeds. [AES] has no such limitation. There is also a choice of "[TKIP] + [AES]" which also causes the WNDR4000 to pop up a message regarding network speeds if that choice is enabled, but it's not clear to me what that message really means. Unfortunately, at the moment I can't remember the exact text of that message.....

http://av-pix.com/2012/MCAB1001_UserManual.pdf

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I guess I can answer my own questions at this point, with my current degree of frustration. 5Ghz, with the TiVo Adapters, with SSID turned off is an absolute nightmare! In a matter of about 4 hours I've gone from everything working fairly well on 2.4Ghz at G speeds, to basically nothing working on 5Ghz at any speed.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I guess I can answer my own questions at this point, with my current degree of frustration. 5Ghz, with the TiVo Adapters, with SSID turned off is an absolute nightmare! In a matter of about 4 hours I've gone from everything working fairly well on 2.4Ghz at G speeds, to basically nothing working on 5Ghz at any speed.

Why are you turning off SSID in the 1st place? Leave it on and use the AES security. And as I mentioned before I would use your old G router as an access point for your G devices. That will allow unencumbered use of your 2.4 net for all your N devices.

If your Tivos still have issues with the 5g then as long as you are not bringing your 2.4 net down with G devices that should be fine. The advantages to the 5g net is that it is less crowded and generally will have less interference. Also on some routers (the 4000 does not) have a video mode on the 5g side. So in your case you dont so not an issue for your set up.

Bob
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

^^^

Thanks for the reply. It provides me with some useful information.

I received my MCAB1001's a little while ago here at my office. As a quick test, I hooked them up as a link between a computer in my office and a nearby hub. They worked fine and it couldn't be more simple. Since I was unable to locate a clean pdf file for the manual for this device on the internet, I've uploaded it at the link below for the benefit of others that may be interested.

Now for a bit more clarification...

You indicated that "when you connect a G only device it will bring the speed of your net down to that". I also found a statement in the MCAB1001 manual that states "If any 802.11b devices are powered on in an 802.11g network, they can cause the entire network to slow to 802.11b speeds". I assume based on your statement that the same occurs on an 802.11n network with 802.11g devices. If the G devices are powered "On" (even if not actually in-use) they cause the entire network to drop down to G speeds, correct?

YES YOU ARE CORRECT. THE NET WILL OPERATE AT THE SPEED OF THE SLOWEST DEVICE. WHETHER A DEVICE IS IN USE IS A GOOD QUESTION. DEPENDS HOW IT CONNECTS. MEANING IF IT USES DATA THEN THE NET WILL ACCOMMODATE IT AND SLOW IT DOWN. ASSUME THE WORST HERE.

The MCAB1001 manual also suggests turning Off the SSID for the network in order to prevent nearby (unassociated) devices from hitting on it (my words) frequently and slowing the overall network. Six years ago when I first set up my old WPN802 I tried turning off the SSID, but then I seemed to always have trouble trying to get client devices to connect. Is there some trick I don't know about?

DONT TURN OFF SSID UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT SOMEONE HACKING YOUR NET.

The MCAB manual confirms that it's normally best to use the Wireless-N 5Ghz for the HD side of things as you suggested. This is what I will do. Another question I had asked (in my second post in the TiVo thread) was concerning using the WPS button on the WNDR4000 with WPS enabled client devices (like the TiVo in particular). If the WNDR4000 has both G & N networks configured, WHICH one (or do BOTH) get auto-configured in the client device?

THE WPS BUTTON JUST MAKES FOR EASY SETUP FOR SECURITY. THE G VS N IS DETERMINED BY THE CLIENT DEVICE NOT THE SECURITY.

Also as far as [TKIP] and [AES] settings go... the WNDR4000 indicates during configuration that [TKIP] limits the network to G speeds. [AES] has no such limitation. There is also a choice of "[TKIP] + [AES]" which also causes the WNDR4000 to pop up a message regarding network speeds if that choice is enabled, but it's not clear to me what that message really means. Unfortunately, at the moment I can't remember the exact text of that message.....

USE THE AES SETTING. IT IS THE MOST CURRENT AS LONG AS YOUR CLIENT DEVICES CAN SUPPORT IT.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

http://av-pix.com/2012/MCAB1001_UserManual.pdf


You indicated that "when you connect a G only device it will bring the speed of your net down to that". I also found a statement in the MCAB1001 manual that states "If any 802.11b devices are powered on in an 802.11g network, they can cause the entire network to slow to 802.11b speeds". I assume based on your statement that the same occurs on an 802.11n network with 802.11g devices. If the G devices are powered "On" (even if not actually in-use) they cause the entire network to drop down to G speeds, correct?

YES YOU ARE CORRECT. THE NET WILL OPERATE AT THE SPEED OF THE SLOWEST DEVICE. WHETHER A DEVICE IS IN USE IS A GOOD QUESTION. DEPENDS HOW IT CONNECTS. MEANING IF IT USES DATA THEN THE NET WILL ACCOMMODATE IT AND SLOW IT DOWN. ASSUME THE WORST HERE.

The MCAB1001 manual also suggests turning Off the SSID for the network in order to prevent nearby (unassociated) devices from hitting on it (my words) frequently and slowing the overall network. Six years ago when I first set up my old WPN802 I tried turning off the SSID, but then I seemed to always have trouble trying to get client devices to connect. Is there some trick I don't know about?

DONT TURN OFF SSID UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT SOMEONE HACKING YOUR NET.

The MCAB manual confirms that it's normally best to use the Wireless-N 5Ghz for the HD side of things as you suggested. This is what I will do. Another question I had asked (in my second post in the TiVo thread) was concerning using the WPS button on the WNDR4000 with WPS enabled client devices (like the TiVo in particular). If the WNDR4000 has both G & N networks configured, WHICH one (or do BOTH) get auto-configured in the client device?

THE WPS BUTTON JUST MAKES FOR EASY SETUP FOR SECURITY. THE G VS N IS DETERMINED BY THE CLIENT DEVICE NOT THE SECURITY.

Also as far as [TKIP] and [AES] settings go... the WNDR4000 indicates during configuration that [TKIP] limits the network to G speeds. [AES] has no such limitation. There is also a choice of "[TKIP] + [AES]" which also causes the WNDR4000 to pop up a message regarding network speeds if that choice is enabled, but it's not clear to me what that message really means. Unfortunately, at the moment I can't remember the exact text of that message.....

USE THE AES SETTING. IT IS THE MOST CURRENT AS LONG AS YOUR CLIENT DEVICES CAN SUPPORT IT.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

.....
DONT TURN OFF SSID UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED ABOUT SOMEONE HACKING YOUR NET.
.....

Bob...

I have to be short because I need to leave my ofice in a minute...
But I've read somewhere (either in the NetGear docs or other internet articles) to turn off SSID for networks used for video streaming. The stated reason is that neighboring devices will periodically ping (that might not be the word they used) any network that the device can "see". It was implied that if the neighboring device can't see it (SSID turned off) then this pinging doesn't occur.

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.... still trying to figure it all out.

Edit: From page B4 in the NetGear MCAB1001 User Manual . . .

"Turn off SSID broadcast, and change the default SSID. Other nearby devices might
automatically try to connect to your network several times a second, which can cause
significant performance reduction."

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 02-23-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Bob...

I have to be short because I need to leave my ofice in a minute...
But I've read somewhere (either in the NetGear docs or other internet articles) to turn off SSID for networks used for video streaming. The stated reason is that neighboring devices will periodically ping (that might not be the word they used) any network that the device can "see". It was implied that if the neighboring device can't see it (SSID turned off) then this pinging doesn't occur.

I have no way of knowing if this is true or not.... still trying to figure it all out.

Edit: From page B4 in the NetGear MCAB1001 User Manual . . .

"Turn off SSID broadcast, and change the default SSID. Other nearby devices might
automatically try to connect to your network several times a second, which can cause
significant performance reduction."

Frankly that is a new one. I suppose if you were in a place where devices that were trying to automatically connect to wifi nets (like an iphone) then that would make sense. But for a home situation where your devices are all connected then no. So unless you are in a public place or again are concerned about hacking leave it on.

Bob
bobsilver is offline  
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Ok, after my frustrating experience of a couple of nights ago I've managed to learn a few things. The things I discovered concerning WPS and turning SSID off may work differently with different hardware though, so YMMV...

With the WNDR4000 and the TiVo Wireless-N Adapter, WPS will only work if SSID is turned "On" when you attempt to auto-configure. Every attempt I made with WPS while SSID was "Off" resulted in failure.

I never did confirm whether or not WNDR4000 and the TiVo Adapter would successfully auto-configure the 5Ghz network while the 2.4Ghz network was enabled. I ended up just turning off the 2.4Ghz side while the WPS was doing it's thing.

AFTER the TiVo Adapters were successfully configured and in operation, turning "Off" the SSID on the 5Ghz network to which they were configured had no detrimental affect on the TiVo's. Everything still worked as planned. Again, the reason I wanted to turn SSID off was because of comments I had seen in a NetGear manual (and elsewhere also) about other wireless devices sometimes "pinging" networks that were broadcasting their SSID, and causing the network speed to drop.

So I'm now using the three TiVo's on the 5Ghz network with SSID turned off, and my other wireless devices don't even see or try to inadvertantly connect to that network. I have the 5Ghz transmitter turned on only at the downstairs WNDR4000 which acts as a Wireless Access Point. [AES] encryption is used for that network.

The 2.4Ghz transmitters are turned on at both the downstairs and the upstairs WNDR4000's. This allows for good signal strength at the Wireless-G XBox and the wireless desktop computer located downstairs, and the two notebook computers that are used upstairs or downstairs at various times. "[TKIP] + [AES]" is enabled on the 2.4Ghz network since the Xbox and desktop wireless adapters don't support [AES] only.

So far since finishing up this afternoon everything seems to be working well, so I'm happy and the TiVo's appear happy.. no more stuttering during streaming. I'm running a transfer test right now to see how long it takes and what transfer speed I am getting to move a half-hour show from one DVR to another.

Bobsilver.... thanks for your help with this. Your comments and suggestions have proved to be very helpful in getting this to work the way I wanted it to work.

Edit: My "test" transfer finished while I was typing this post. It took 11:10 and the transfer rate was 32.56 Mb/s according to the diagnostic screen on the TiVo. This was almost twice as fast as the best transfer I had seen before. Then I ran another test, this time copying an hour-long show from the other TiVo. This second test took 24:33 and the transfer rate was 40.26 Mb/s according to the TiVo diagnostic screen.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is there an alternative to the dyndns service that is free. I used to use dyndns when it was free?

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
bobsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 761
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

Is there an alternative to the dyndns service that is free. I used to use dyndns when it was free?

Look at no-ip.com. They offer a free service but it is through a pc utility.

Are you saying dyndns is not free? Because I am using it for free. They have paid versions with more features but the basic service to my knowledge is free.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR AV Consultant.
bobsilver is offline  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
cburbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Somewhere in Oregon
Posts: 2,892
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Look at no-ip.com. They offer a free service but it is through a pc utility.

Are you saying dyndns is not free? Because I am using it for free. They have paid versions with more features but the basic service to my knowledge is free.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR AV Consultant.

I used to have a free account but I hadn't used it for so long it was removed.
Looking here it looks like maybe http://dyn.com/dns/free-vs-vip/ but doesn't look simple to create. Looking online there are many articles that it is not free anymore.

Looks like you have to sign up for the Pro Trial - Note that only valid major credit cards can be used for Pro trials, not PayPal. If you decide not to continue with Pro, just cancel your Pro trial within the first 14 days and you will not be charged. You may keep one hostname free of charge for trying the Pro Trial.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
cburbs is offline  
Old 03-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
After installing my two WNDR4000's a few weeks ago (one as the router and one as an access point only) they seem to be working fine. However I noticed something yesterday evening that I found to be a bit strange. I logged in to each 4000, just to see what devices were wireless-connected to each one. I noticed immediately that my notebook computer (which hadn't been at home since the weekend) was listed in the "Connected Devices" list as being connected. I did a "refresh" several times, but there was no change. My older WPN802 access point did not behave this way.. if I turned off a computer it was removed from the list. Also, a desktop computer that was powered down on Sunday night still showed as "Connected" on Tuesday night???

Also, I have the SSID name "broadcast" turned on for 2.4Ghz and turned off for 5Ghz. This is confirmed by computers on the network.. the 5Ghz network does not appear on the list of networks to choose to connect to, but the 2.4Ghz network does appear. However, the status screens of the WNDR4000's (both of them) show the 2.5Ghz broadcast name as off, and the 5Ghz broadcast name as on... bass ackwards.

Someone will ask what firmware version is installed.. I'm at my office now and I don't know. But when I installed the 4000's I updated the firmware to the latest version.....

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
Old 03-22-2012, 06:21 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,189
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The installed firmware version is V1.0.0.88_9.1.77
Screencaps attached..
LL
LL
LL

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off