Which is best wireless router choice? Netgear N450 WNDR4000 or N300 WNDR3800 - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 416 Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The installed firmware version is V1.0.0.88_9.1.77
Screencaps attached..

We have the same level of firmware. Only difference seems to be 1) I only have one used as a router and 2) I have DHCP enabled on the router even though I use reservations for everything. This might mean nothing however. I also allow broadcast of the SSID names.

I have a 5 GHz Blu-ray and 2.5 GHz laptop, both go away when shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 416 Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I logged into my WDNR3800 to check for updates as I have had the wireless failure issue and V1.0.0.32 was available. I've updated but it is too soon to see if it fixed the wireless issue at modes 130 and 300 for 2.4Ghz.
Bug fixes:
http://support.netgear.com/app/answe...ail/a_id/20264
post #393 of 416 Old 04-01-2012, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm considering WNDR3800, but I could not clarify from manuals if it can block outgoing traffic based on given IP address?

As I have the issue with Denon AVR that it breaks up its network connection due to the queries it is sending to Rhapsody server (=> I should block outgoing communication to that IP address but allow everything else to Internet Radio / other streaming over the net).
post #394 of 416 Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec71 View Post

I'm considering WNDR3800, but I could not clarify from manuals if it can block outgoing traffic based on given IP address?

As I have the issue with Denon AVR that it breaks up its network connection due to the queries it is sending to Rhapsody server (=> I should block outgoing communication to that IP address but allow everything else to Internet Radio / other streaming over the net).

I believe you can do that. I was looking in the Advanced/Security/Block Sites and Services areas. This is used primarily to block sites that you dont want to be able to browse to but in the end should do what you want. This capability is the same in the 3800 and the 4500 routers.

Bob Silver
post #395 of 416 Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The recent release of the new firmware for the 3800 addresses primarily the dropped client issue on the 2.4g hz side of the unit. It turned out that it was a rare issue that seemed to coalesce around certain devices and conditions which made it hard to track down and correct. The following is an email I received from the engineers on what was done in this release.

From Netgear Engineering

"In this V1.0.0.32 firmware, mainly we fix below bugs or make some enhancements.

l Fixed - For 2.4G wireless connection, wireless client might be disconnected easily in heavy/noisy traffic environment.

l Fixed router log issue (Stops collecting router logs after a few days.)

l Enhances the NTFS file system write speed for ReadySHARE function.

This firmware release is mainly focus on 2.4G wireless disconnection issue, actually there are three kind symptoms for wireless issues, below is the symptoms and how we fix it.

Symptom-1: if customer's wireless environment is noisy or heavy traffic, the EAPOL (Extensible Authentication Protocol over LAN) packet might be lost between Router and wireless client communication, and after the timeout value is expired the wireless is disconnected.

Solution: We set EAPOL packet in higher transmit priority and also use minimum rate to transmit it. This solution can make sure there is not EAPOL timeout to cause the wireless disconnection.

Symptom-2: if customer's wireless environment is noisy or heavy traffic, the router might not be able to send out wireless beacon frame, currently our router will reset the wireless driver to clean the buffer/queue and also the TSF timer in the beacon will be reset too. For some Intel wireless clients (for example: Intel 5300), it is not happy to see too many times the TSF timer be reset and will send out "deauth" frame to router to cause the wireless disconnection.

Solution: Router don't do TSF timer reset and keep sync with wireless client. Then such wireless disconnection can be fixed

Symptom-3: We see some wireless clients of Android system somehow will send out the wrong AID (Associate ID) to router, because router can't recognize this unexpected AID, then router drop this wireless client.

Solution: Because this is wireless client issue, to have better interoperability, we have a work around solution to by pass this checking. So there is no wireless disconnection because of wrong AID anymore."

I have been running the new firmware for about a week and all has been good. So hopefully this takes care of the issues some folks had experienced.

Please post feedback of your experiences if you will.

Regards,

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
post #396 of 416 Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
What DNS services does the 3800 support. I signed myself up with No-ip.com but when I try to put my info in the Dynamic DNS page it doesn't seem to like it.

"Dang! You got shocks, pegs... lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps? "

Sony 55EX500 Settings
post #397 of 416 Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post

What DNS services does the 3800 support. I signed myself up with No-ip.com but when I try to put my info in the Dynamic DNS page it doesn't seem to like it.

The router does not support NO-IP.com. In fact I use it myself even pay for the premium service. More legacy for me as i had been using it for years

I have only found DYNDNS.com to work within the router. I use it too. Works fine.

Bob Silver
NETGEAR AV Consultant.
post #398 of 416 Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Hi I am new at this but I am wondering if someone can help answer this. I need to buy a new wireless n router which is to be used for the computers. My TV and AV receiver etc are at the other end of the room. The receiver does not have wifi but needs a ethernet cable to connect to network. I learned Linksys has a product WES610 4 port dual band n entertainment bridge that will connect wired devices to my wireless network but the ports are only 10/100.

My question: is the Linksys bridge simply a wireless router? Can I buy 2 good wireless n routers and use one as a router and the second one as a bridge? Thank you.
post #399 of 416 Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by NallaAVS View Post

Hi I am new at this but I am wondering if someone can help answer this. I need to buy a new wireless n router which is to be used for the computers. My TV and AV receiver etc are at the other end of the room. The receiver does not have wifi but needs a ethernet cable to connect to network. I learned Linksys has a product WES610 4 port dual band n entertainment bridge that will connect wired devices to my wireless network but the ports are only 10/100.

My question: is the Linksys bridge simply a wireless router? Can I buy 2 good wireless n routers and use one as a router and the second one as a bridge? Thank you.

I would be logical to get better information on a Linksys thread.

My Yamaha RX-V867 has wired 100Mbs max also. Since it doesn't stream video it's not an issue.
post #400 of 416 Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

First off let me say that the need for gigabyte Ethernet ports on your home theater gear is not needed so I wouldnt worry about that. As to using a second router as a bridge it depends on the router. Netgear models WNDR3700 and up acn do this but I would not suggest that. It is complex to configure and can have spotty performance sometimes.

Instead what I would suggest is 1 of the 2 products I will list. Both are bridges designed for what you want. They have 4 port switches and will connect to your router to pass both internet and network access to the devices connected to it.

The models are these

1. For wireless N Performance you can use this
Netgear N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port WiFi Adapter Model WNCE4004
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE4004.aspx

2. For Powerline connection use this
Netgear UNIVERSAL INTERNET ADAPTER FOR HOME ENTERTAINMENT - 3D
XAVB5004
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../XAVB5004.aspx

Both devices will give you 4 ports top connect your devices. But the way they connect to your router differs. As I stated one uses wifi and the other Powerline which uses the electrical wiring in your house.

Performance wise the XAVB5004 Powerline device will give you the best performance and highest speed. The only caveat is potential noise in your home ac wiring. The only way to find out is to try it.

So I would buy from a place you can exchange the unit and start with the Powerline (it is also the easiest to setup. You just plug it in). If you have issues then buy the Wifi unit Model WNCE4004 and you will be good to go.

Both units are excellent and were designed specifically for what you need.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.
post #401 of 416 Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

First off let me say that the need for gigabyte Ethernet ports on your home theater gear is not needed so I wouldnt worry about that. As to using a second router as a bridge it depends on the router. Netgear models WNDR3700 and up acn do this but I would not suggest that. It is complex to configure and can have spotty performance sometimes.

Instead what I would suggest is 1 of the 2 products I will list. Both are bridges designed for what you want. They have 4 port switches and will connect to your router to pass both internet and network access to the devices connected to it.

The models are these

1. For wireless N Performance you can use this
Netgear N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port WiFi Adapter Model WNCE4004
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNCE4004.aspx

2. For Powerline connection use this
Netgear UNIVERSAL INTERNET ADAPTER FOR HOME ENTERTAINMENT - 3D
XAVB5004
http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../XAVB5004.aspx

Both devices will give you 4 ports top connect your devices. But the way they connect to your router differs. As I stated one uses wifi and the other Powerline which uses the electrical wiring in your house.

Performance wise the XAVB5004 Powerline device will give you the best performance and highest speed. The only caveat is potential noise in your home ac wiring. The only way to find out is to try it.

So I would buy from a place you can exchange the unit and start with the Powerline (it is also the easiest to setup. You just plug it in). If you have issues then buy the Wifi unit Model WNCE4004 and you will be good to go.

Both units are excellent and were designed specifically for what you need.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant.

Hi Bob, thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I also need to buy a new N-router to replace an old G-router. What do you recommend? Thanks again.
post #402 of 416 Old 04-13-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

[quote=NallaAVS;21901136]Hi Bob, thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I also need to buy a new N-router to replace an old G-router. What do you recommend? Thanks again.[/QUOTE

I would suggest the following routers for you in order of price

1. Netgear WNDR3700 $99 Had been the top of the line router.
2. Netgear WNDR3800 $149 More advanced version of the 3700
3. Netgear WNDR4500 Netgear's most advanced router with best performance. $179

Check out this thread on the 3800 and 4500
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=netgear

Bob
post #403 of 416 Old 04-13-2012, 07:19 PM

[quote=bobsilver;21902839]
Quote:

Hi Bob, thanks so much for the detailed explanation. I also need to buy a new N-router to replace an old G-router. What do you recommend? Thanks again.[/QUOTE

I would suggest the following routers for you in order of price

1. Netgear WNDR3700 $99 Had been the top of the line router.
2. Netgear WNDR3800 $149 More advanced version of the 3700
3. Netgear WNDR4500 Netgear's most advanced router with best performance. $179

Check out this thread on the 3800 and 4500
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=netgear

Bob

Thanks again Bob. Your advice is very much appreciated by this newbie.
post #404 of 416 Old 04-17-2012, 04:50 PM

Hi Bob,
Any issue with data corruption after transferring a file to readyshare hard drive after installing firmware 1.0.0.32? I sure have that issue, as does many on netgear forums

Never mind. 1.0.0.34 is out, and all is well.
post #405 of 416 Old 04-22-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Data corruption in ReadyShare fixed by 10.0.0.34
post #406 of 416 Old 08-15-2012, 01:35 AM

Hi Bob,

I am going to replace a dead Belkin G, to finally move on to the wifi N.

Last year, when I was following your threads about the 3800 and 4000, you convinced me to take the 3800 for the clear channel feature.
(I'm in a city appartment, with many other wireless networks around, and no need for a very long range like in big house)

Now that I have to buy my new router, I came accross the prices (and the latest 4500).

I don't think I would go to the new R6300 versions: too expensive and I don't really buy for "futureproof". (you can see that I am moving to N, when the AC is coming out. lol.)

So basically, here in Amazon.at, I have
3800 at 90€
4000 at 79€
4500 at 117€

The 3800 would be sufficient in term of speed, number of antenna, range, etc.
I can take the 4000 for cheaper. (Has it improved since last year, when you were comparing and recommanding the 3800 over the 4000?)

And now, what about the 4500, a bit more expensive. (but maybe for features that I will never need..)
You were also recommending/prefering the 3800 because based on old model 3700. Maybe your point of view has changed now?

(Or maybe, the 3800 is way too old now, to be recommended?)

Thanks again.

(Sorry to ask again... I promise this is the last time to bother you, since my current router is dead. smile.gif )
post #407 of 416 Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierry. View Post

Hi Bob,
I am going to replace a dead Belkin G, to finally move on to the wifi N.
Last year, when I was following your threads about the 3800 and 4000, you convinced me to take the 3800 for the clear channel feature.
(I'm in a city appartment, with many other wireless networks around, and no need for a very long range like in big house)
Now that I have to buy my new router, I came accross the prices (and the latest 4500).
I don't think I would go to the new R6300 versions: too expensive and I don't really buy for "futureproof". (you can see that I am moving to N, when the AC is coming out. lol.)
So basically, here in Amazon.at, I have
3800 at 90€
4000 at 79€
4500 at 117€
The 3800 would be sufficient in term of speed, number of antenna, range, etc.
I can take the 4000 for cheaper. (Has it improved since last year, when you were comparing and recommanding the 3800 over the 4000?)
And now, what about the 4500, a bit more expensive. (but maybe for features that I will never need..)
You were also recommending/prefering the 3800 because based on old model 3700. Maybe your point of view has changed now?
(Or maybe, the 3800 is way too old now, to be recommended?)
Thanks again.
(Sorry to ask again... I promise this is the last time to bother you, since my current router is dead. smile.gif )

No problem on the question as much has changed. The 4500 is based on a different chipset then the 3700/3800/4000 routers. The 4500 and R63/R61 are the new platforms that Netgear is moving toward. That said it doesn't diminish the performance of the 3700/3800 family. In fact some features like Video Mode are not included in the newer platforms.

So I would still go ahead and purchase the 3800. The firmware issues have been worked out and it has the latest UI that all the new products support. It supports all the new software features from Netgear's Genie utility and well as Ready Share Cloud. It still remains the most feature packed router in the line. I still think it is a better product then the 4000. And as you can see it is reflected in the price.

The newer routers most significant advantages (aside from the AC spec) is more powerful RF amps. This is only important as far as range is considered. And with that you see about a 15-25% increase from the 3700/3800 products. So if I were you Id buy the 3800.

Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant
thierry. likes this.
post #408 of 416 Old 08-16-2012, 12:58 AM

As usual, Thanks a lot Bob !
You are the best source of information on Internet about Netgear routers. Really! wink.gif

WNDR3800 is ordered.
post #409 of 416 Old 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

So I would still go ahead and purchase the 3800. The firmware issues have been worked out and it has the latest UI that all the new products support.
Bob Silver
Netgear AV Consultant

Bob,

I bought a 3800 a few months back. It's been working quite fine, no issues that I've notice. With that said, I haven't updated the firmware. I can remember a few months back user's reporting various issues with the 3800. Has all that settled down now? Is now a good time to get on the latest firmware?
post #410 of 416 Old 08-16-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Bob,
I bought a 3800 a few months back. It's been working quite fine, no issues that I've notice. With that said, I haven't updated the firmware. I can remember a few months back user's reporting various issues with the 3800. Has all that settled down now? Is now a good time to get on the latest firmware?

Yes the firmware issues have all been taken care of. I updated my 3800 months ago and it has been totally stable. So go ahead and update it if you want.

Bob Silver
post #411 of 416 Old 08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

Yes the firmware issues have all been taken care of. I updated my 3800 months ago and it has been totally stable. So go ahead and update it if you want.
Bob Silver

Thanks Bob for the quick reply. I'll think about it. I tend to only update firmware on devices when I have an issue.
post #412 of 416 Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhuzy View Post

Thanks Bob for the quick reply. I'll think about it. I tend to only update firmware on devices when I have an issue.

Hey the old adage applies. "Dont fix it if it ain't broke"! Your conservative approach is always best.

Bob
post #413 of 416 Old 09-23-2012, 12:00 PM

Bob, Can I use a 3800 as an AP (no DHCP) connecting to a D-Link DIR615 router. I need the dual band coverage on the second floor that the 615 does not cover well. My router and cable modem are in the basement. Thanks
post #414 of 416 Old 09-23-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puvat View Post

Bob, Can I use a 3800 as an AP (no DHCP) connecting to a D-Link DIR615 router. I need the dual band coverage on the second floor that the 615 does not cover well. My router and cable modem are in the basement. Thanks

Yes you can. What you need is an Ethernet cable connecting the 2 routers. Plug the cable into any of the ports but NOT the WAN port on the 3800. Make sure DHCP is turned off on the 3800. Set the SSID to the same as your other router and set the channels on the 2.4g side to the same. For the 5g band you can leave the channel set to auto but make the SSID the same. This will make a seamless wireless network throughout the coverage of both routers wifi range.

If you do not have an Ethernet cable to connect the 3800 you will need to use the 3800 as a repeater. Or if you are buying a new device you can buy the Netgear RPT3000 which is their dual band repeater. The downside to this is the performance of a repeater will be less then an access point as it it essence repeats the wifi signal. Also Netgear recommends using a different SSID like Netgear_ext as opposed to Netgear. This makes it a bit more complex but it works.

Post back if you need more insight how to do this.

Bob
post #415 of 416 Old 09-23-2012, 07:59 PM

Bob, Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered the 3800 from Amazon. I do have an Ethernet cable running from DIR615 to second floor where I intend setting up the WNDR3800. You have me thinking with your suggestion to keep the SSID same for both. I already have a Cisco WRT610N as an AP on the first floor connected to DIR615. I did not know I could use the same SSID for both, so have them set to different SSIDs. If a single SSID works, can I setup all three routers with the same SSID and channels for G and set the 3800 5G channel to auto ? My concern before I decided to buy the 3800 was if it's coverage would somehow be hobbled by making it an AP to an older slower router in the basement. But then, since the two will be connected via Ethernet, I guess my concern is misplaced smile.gif Thanks, you helped me make up my mind on buying the 3800.
post #416 of 416 Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puvat View Post

Bob, Thanks for the quick reply. I just ordered the 3800 from Amazon. I do have an Ethernet cable running from DIR615 to second floor where I intend setting up the WNDR3800. You have me thinking with your suggestion to keep the SSID same for both. I already have a Cisco WRT610N as an AP on the first floor connected to DIR615. I did not know I could use the same SSID for both, so have them set to different SSIDs. If a single SSID works, can I setup all three routers with the same SSID and channels for G and set the 3800 5G channel to auto ? My concern before I decided to buy the 3800 was if it's coverage would somehow be hobbled by making it an AP to an older slower router in the basement. But then, since the two will be connected via Ethernet, I guess my concern is misplaced smile.gif Thanks, you helped me make up my mind on buying the 3800.

My only caution here is to keep your G wireless net and the N wireless separate. The reason is that that G net could wind up forcing your devices to operate in that mode thus reducing your wireless speed. So I would only use the same ssid for N network devices.

Bob
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page