Which is best wireless router choice? Netgear N450 WNDR4000 or N300 WNDR3800 - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 416 Old 07-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post
Yes you are correct. You can set the router up as a repeater. My only point is if you need to buy two routers buying a repeater would be much less expensive. But setting up an access point wopuld be a no compromise performance solution.

Bob Silver
Thanks, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) my WNR3500L died a couple of days ago, so I'm getting a warranty replacement from Netgear. But, I couldn't wait for that so I went out and picked up a 3700.
So, in a couple of days I should be able to test this out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 416 Old 07-28-2011, 05:15 PM

I have appreciated this thread. I am considering waiting for the soon to arrive WNDR3800 or purchasing the WNDR4000. I will have a 3Tb WD Mybook live connected via gigabit ethernet port to the router to support apple time machine backups of 3 macbook pros. This currently works with my existing WGT634U router which I will be replacing. I would also like the ability to stream video to my Samsung BD-D6700 Blu-ray Disk Player which has built-in wireless and continue to use apple airport express at 2 stereo receivers to simultaneously stream itunes. Do you see a clear winner for these applications, the WNDR3800 or the WNDR4000? Thanks!
post #183 of 416 Old 07-28-2011, 05:30 PM

I have been waiting for the WNDR3800 for some 3-4 months now.. Our current router keeps dropping our wireless connections and can't wait to get a new router. Last I heard the release date for the WNDR3800 was the end of July. Does that mean we are only days away of being able to purchase?
post #184 of 416 Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM

Is anyone else nervous that this WNDR3800 router was announced in January, and isn't released yet?!? I sure hope it's not full of issues when it's released, cuz I hope to buy it day 1!

I have a 10/100 printer, and am looking at adding remote backup to this WNDR3800. In theory, am I right in saying that it would be the best I/O performance to hookup the printer to the USB on the router, and buy a Gigabit hard drive backup solution? Of course, the alternate is to have printer direct attached 100, and USB hard drive. No mention if this WNDR3800 is USB 2 or 3, but I'm assuming 2 unfortunately.
post #185 of 416 Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Bob thanks for all the great info on the 3800. I'm looking forward to it being available for sale, any update on what the new date will be?
post #186 of 416 Old 08-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozach99 View Post

Bob thanks for all the great info on the 3800. I'm looking forward to it being available for sale, any update on what the new date will be?

You can order it from Amazon, I'm guessing for preorder because it says 1-2 months shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-N600-W.../dp/B0058NN6CS

A bunch of other no-name stores on Google shopping have it for close to $150.
Mike
post #187 of 416 Old 08-01-2011, 08:42 PM

Yeah, the amazon preorder price is rather high. I'm guessing that they're holding the release to test with Lion.
post #188 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Hi everyone.

The 3800 is in transit and should be hitting shelves within days. There are several thousand units being delivered. The initial shipments will be to amazon and frys.

I have been playing with a preproduction 3800 and am very inpressed with the new user interface, the new ReadyShare Cloud and the network Genie. I cant comment on the Clear Channel yet because I have no wifi interference issues. So I am a bad case for that. But the added enhancements are really worth it.

So for those wanting to get one I would go ahead and place orders with Amazon. Do not believe the 2 month delivery. Units are on the way to them as I write this.

I'll write more on my impressions on the 3800 in the next couple days as I learn more.

But ask away if you have questions.

Bob Silver
post #189 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmikester1 View Post

You can order it from Amazon, I'm guessing for preorder because it says 1-2 months shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-N600-W.../dp/B0058NN6CS

A bunch of other no-name stores on Google shopping have it for close to $150.
Mike

The price of the 3800 is MSRP of $169 with an expected street price of $149.

Bob Silver
post #190 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor JK View Post

Is anyone else nervous that this WNDR3800 router was announced in January, and isn't released yet?!? I sure hope it's not full of issues when it's released, cuz I hope to buy it day 1!

I have a 10/100 printer, and am looking at adding remote backup to this WNDR3800. In theory, am I right in saying that it would be the best I/O performance to hookup the printer to the USB on the router, and buy a Gigabit hard drive backup solution? Of course, the alternate is to have printer direct attached 100, and USB hard drive. No mention if this WNDR3800 is USB 2 or 3, but I'm assuming 2 unfortunately.

The usb is usb 2.0. To use a printer and a hard drive you need to use a usb hub with the 3800. This is both new hardware , new technology (clear channel) and new software. Netgear has done a ground up rework of the UI. Very nice. The unit I have has beta firmware. Havent got the final yet but is very stable. No real issues.

Also the Readyshare Cloud is awesome. You will have your own cloud servber from this router works great!

Regarding your question the Netgear 3800 and other usb based routers are good for backup and moderate file sharing. Do not expect these routers to do any heavy media streaming. They are just not fast enough.

Bob Silver
post #191 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRWaynesWorld View Post

I have been waiting for the WNDR3800 for some 3-4 months now.. Our current router keeps dropping our wireless connections and can't wait to get a new router. Last I heard the release date for the WNDR3800 was the end of July. Does that mean we are only days away of being able to purchase?

Yes you only days away. Units in transit now.

Bob Silver
post #192 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico View Post

I have appreciated this thread. I am considering waiting for the soon to arrive WNDR3800 or purchasing the WNDR4000. I will have a 3Tb WD Mybook live connected via gigabit ethernet port to the router to support apple time machine backups of 3 macbook pros. This currently works with my existing WGT634U router which I will be replacing. I would also like the ability to stream video to my Samsung BD-D6700 Blu-ray Disk Player which has built-in wireless and continue to use apple airport express at 2 stereo receivers to simultaneously stream itunes. Do you see a clear winner for these applications, the WNDR3800 or the WNDR4000? Thanks!

Well based on what you described both routers will do what you want. The primary difference is the 3800 has many more features then the 4000. The 4000 is primarily the current leader in 3 radio n450 wifi. Which none of your Macs have so that is moot. (And frankly is really just emerging. There are no adapters at this time either so it more a future potential then a current enhancement)

My preference is the 3800. I choose this because of these reasons. Clear Channel is a breakthough technology for the crowded 2.4ghz band. This band has the most interference due to everything wireless using it. ClearChannel helps this by auto selecting and moving your devices to clearer channels. And it works with all 2.4 ghz devices.

ReadyShare Cloud is a fantastic remote file access implementation. For PC users it looks and feels like your remote drive is local. Very nice. The bad is the software is not out for the Mac yet but is coming. It also works with IOS and Andriod devices.

Network Genie is also another great addition. I finally have a network dashboard that tells me what is going on with my network. Very nice and very intuitive.

Bob Silver
post #193 of 416 Old 08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 36
Ok I have a quick question regarding the router....I read parts of this thread but i am not going the wireless route as I have everything wired. I have GBit NIC's in my HTPC and laptop.

I plan to build a server soon (probably WHS v1) and will add a GBit NIC to the server to house and serve all my movies, tv shows and music.

I currently have a Linksys G router....will I need to get a GBit router (N) to achieve the GBit speeds or will I need to simply get a switch?
post #194 of 416 Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTechMan View Post

Ok I have a quick question regarding the router....I read parts of this thread but i am not going the wireless route as I have everything wired. I have GBit NIC's in my HTPC and laptop.

I plan to build a server soon (probably WHS v1) and will add a GBit NIC to the server to house and serve all my movies, tv shows and music.

I currently have a Linksys G router....will I need to get a GBit router (N) to achieve the GBit speeds or will I need to simply get a switch?

Well you need a router that manages ip addresses and can connect to your ISP. A switch alone will not do that. You can buy a router without wireless but why? If cost is a concern Netgear sells the Wnd3400 which I believe is a gig router with single band N for $60. That would get you what you want.
post #195 of 416 Old 08-03-2011, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well you need a router that manages ip addresses and can connect to your ISP. A switch alone will not do that. You can buy a router without wireless but why? If cost is a concern Netgear sells the Wnd3400 which I believe is a gig router with single band N for $60. That would get you what you want.

Sorry the proper router is WNDR3500 that has the gig switch.
post #196 of 416 Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 AM

Bob, any ideas when the 3800 will be available in the UK? My current router is failing and I would like to replace it with the 3800 but I can't find it anywhere (including amazon)

Thanks
post #197 of 416 Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewalls123 View Post
Bob, any ideas when the 3800 will be available in the UK? My current router is failing and I would like to replace it with the 3800 but I can't find it anywhere (including amazon)

Thanks
As I mentioned units are in route now. There was a snag with the gpl licensing where a doc was not included in the box. That required everything to be pulled back to the factory. So they are now are on their way. I was told yesterday they will be in the distribution center by end of next week and then should be at Amazon, New Egg and Frys (doesnt help you in the UK) the following week.

I'll get more specific UK info but if you can buy from Amazon or New Eg that would be your best bet.

Bob Silver
post #198 of 416 Old 08-04-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:

As I mentioned units are in route now. There was a snag with the gpl licensing where a doc was not included in the box. That required everything to be pulled back to the factory. So they are now are on their way. I was told yesterday they will be in the distribution center by end of next week and then should be at Amazon, New Egg and Frys (doesnt help you in the UK) the following week.

I'll get more specific UK info but if you can buy from Amazon or New Eg that would be your best bet.

Bob Silver

Unfortunately none of those places will ship to the UK, and it isn't listed at all on the amazon UK site. Any info you can get on an availability date would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks
post #199 of 416 Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Bob,

Thanks for keeping this community in the loop on the WNDR3800. Highly appreciate it.

I am excited by your news that the device is in the distribution channels now. A couple of quick questions on your post below -

- Is Netgear still on track for releasing Tomato firmware for WNDR3800? If so, what is the approx. timeline?

- I have always been told that Tomato firmware can only work with Broadcom based devices. WNDR3700 is Atheros based, hence Tomato does not support it. Hence, if the WNDR3800 will have Tomato released for it, does it imply that it is Broadcom based? If so, that is awesome news, for open firmwares.

Many thanks!

Quote:

The WNDR3800 will also have the opensource versions of FW - DD-WRT, OpenWRT and Tomato very soon after launch. All will be posted on www.myopenrouter.com

Bob Silver
Netgear

post #200 of 416 Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Bob,

I have two desktops with Intel gigabit cards and transfer large files between the two.
What "jumbo frame" packet options are there on the 3800 and 4000? (9k?).

Thank You!
post #201 of 416 Old 08-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Question w/r/t "Time Machine" capabilities --

Apparently, Apple Lion (10.7) uses a different authentication system, causing trouble for some Time Machine-enabled NAS's.

Is the WNDR3800 router compatible with Lion -- can it handle DHX2 for for authentication?
post #202 of 416 Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM

FYI, price on amazon just dropped to $149. Still says 1-2monts shipping time but the price is way better than the $217 earlier.
post #203 of 416 Old 08-07-2011, 07:29 AM

I need to replace my D Link router and the 3800 looks ideal replacement as I would like to add a NAS unit. Would I be able to do the following using the 3800:
Connect the 3800 to NAS unit via the rear USB/LAN port and then either stream or hard wire video/audio/files using 500mb Powerline units to:
XBOX 360
PS3
Mede8er boxes x2
File transfer to and from 4 laptops........... Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Has anyone managed to pick up a 3800 yet...........................

Bob, Do you any news when the 3800 will hit the shores of England. Thanks.

One other thing, what ASDL2 modem do you recommend using with the 3800.

Best Regards

PioneerPDP-506XDE, Pioneer DV-989AVI-S, Denon AVR-4306, Humax 9200T, Sony Freeview VTX D800U, Pioneer DV-565A,6x Keff Eggs, Sony PSP (Black & White) XBOX 360
post #204 of 416 Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi all. Have been following the thread for the past few mnths. I have a question for the knowledgable folks here:

I have a belkin N wireless router in my basement. The issue I am having is that the signal is not very good in my bedroom on 1st floor. I was looking at getting the Netgear 3700(cheaper than the 3800): installing it in the basement and moving the belkin (use it as an access point) to the study with the hopes that the router in the study will boost the signal for the 1st floor as well as the ground floor.

Is there any problem using routers from different manufactureres in the same network?

The other reason to upgrade the older belkin is that I want a gigabyte router downstairs as I plan to connect a NAS to it. Please do let me know if it is good idea and if there are any better options. Thank u,
post #205 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 06:44 AM

Hi all:

I actually have a WNDR 3800 on order from Amazon, and was quite excited about it until I read the review of the latest Apple AirPort Extreme on Anandtech this morning (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/a...faster-wifi-/1). As the devices on the WiFi side of our network are almost exclusively Apple products (a 2010-era mac, a 2011-era mac, a couple of iPhone 4s, and a HP OfficeJet MFP), this review really has me wondering if maybe I should have chosen the AirPort Extreme over the WNDR 3800.

Our needs:

1) We live in a neighborhood of single family homes, but it's pretty compact--I can see 5 or 6 of my neighbors's WiFi networks

2) We back up via Time Machine to an old mac (set up as a server) connected to the wired side of the router

3) Other than Time Machine, our 3 most bandwidth-intensive uses are to run Skype calls, run an AT&T Microcell, and stream Netflix.

4) If we had to choose, we'd probably choose 10% greater range in the back yard--maybe 80 feet or so from the base station, through a few walls--over 10% greater speed. (If that makes any sense.)

Now, I completely realize that the WNDR hasn't been tested/properly reviewed yet, but I'm wondering if any of you might have any opinions about the best way to go. Should I switch my order to the AirPort Extreme?

Thanks!
post #206 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 02:35 PM

I am also quite interested in a summary of feature and performance differences between the Netgear WNDR3800 and Apple Airport Extreme 5th gen.
post #207 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

FYI, price on amazon just dropped to $149. Still says 1-2monts shipping time but the price is way better than the $217 earlier.

Netgear is working with Amazon to change the shipping date. They will be there soon.
post #208 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrew View Post

Hi all:

I actually have a WNDR 3800 on order from Amazon, and was quite excited about it until I read the review of the latest Apple AirPort Extreme on Anandtech this morning (http://www.anandtech.com/show/4577/a...faster-wifi-/1). As the devices on the WiFi side of our network are almost exclusively Apple products (a 2010-era mac, a 2011-era mac, a couple of iPhone 4s, and a HP OfficeJet MFP), this review really has me wondering if maybe I should have chosen the AirPort Extreme over the WNDR 3800.

Our needs:

1) We live in a neighborhood of single family homes, but it's pretty compact--I can see 5 or 6 of my neighbors's WiFi networks

2) We back up via Time Machine to an old mac (set up as a server) connected to the wired side of the router

3) Other than Time Machine, our 3 most bandwidth-intensive uses are to run Skype calls, run an AT&T Microcell, and stream Netflix.

4) If we had to choose, we'd probably choose 10% greater range in the back yard--maybe 80 feet or so from the base station, through a few walls--over 10% greater speed. (If that makes any sense.)

Now, I completely realize that the WNDR hasn't been tested/properly reviewed yet, but I'm wondering if any of you might have any opinions about the best way to go. Should I switch my order to the AirPort Extreme?

Thanks!

I can't comment on the airport extreme but given your situation the 3800 with clear channel should provide better 2.4 g performance due to it's ability to manage congestion and interference.

If you have a time machine set up now that works I would keep that. The 3800 has other features like Ready Share cloud that are excellent. Also the new Network Genie is a great control dashboard for your network.

Tomorrow I will post my review on the 3800 based on my experience over the past 2 weeks. But I am very happy with it so far.

So IMHO based on your needs I'd stay with the 3800.
post #209 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity View Post

Hi all. Have been following the thread for the past few mnths. I have a question for the knowledgable folks here:

I have a belkin N wireless router in my basement. The issue I am having is that the signal is not very good in my bedroom on 1st floor. I was looking at getting the Netgear 3700(cheaper than the 3800): installing it in the basement and moving the belkin (use it as an access point) to the study with the hopes that the router in the study will boost the signal for the 1st floor as well as the ground floor.

Is there any problem using routers from different manufactureres in the same network?

The other reason to upgrade the older belkin is that I want a gigabyte router downstairs as I plan to connect a NAS to it. Please do let me know if it is good idea and if there are any better options. Thank u,

You should be fine using the belkin as an access point. But realize to do that you need a Ethernet connection to the belkin. Turn dhcp off. Set up fix ip address different then the 3700 and set the ssid to the same as the 3700. You will get what you need.
post #210 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaver View Post

I need to replace my D Link router and the 3800 looks ideal replacement as I would like to add a NAS unit. Would I be able to do the following using the 3800:
Connect the 3800 to NAS unit via the rear USB/LAN port and then either stream or hard wire video/audio/files using 500mb Powerline units to:
XBOX 360
PS3
Mede8er boxes x2
File transfer to and from 4 laptops........... Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Has anyone managed to pick up a 3800 yet...........................

Bob, Do you any news when the 3800 will hit the shores of England. Thanks.

One other thing, what ASDL2 modem do you recommend using with the 3800.

If you have a NAS unit that would sit on the network. You could connect it to the 3800 via one of the Ethernet ports. You would not be using the USB for that.

The powerline will do great if you home wiring is ok. It is very dependent on wireline noise. Buy the power line from somewhere you can return it if it doesn't work. And frankly you could use the 200mbs power line for what you want to do as well. I use 200mbs in a second home I have and move video files all through the house. It will not stream bluray rips though. For that you need the 500mbs
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page