Which is best wireless router choice? Netgear N450 WNDR4000 or N300 WNDR3800 - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tietack View Post

Question w/r/t "Time Machine" capabilities --

Apparently, Apple Lion (10.7) uses a different authentication system, causing trouble for some Time Machine-enabled NAS's.

Is the WNDR3800 router compatible with Lion -- can it handle DHX2 for for authentication?

The 3800 will work with Lion but not at ship time. Netgear has to rework the code for Lion. Eta for Lion is September.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilebi View Post

Hi Bob,

Thanks for keeping this community in the loop on the WNDR3800. Highly appreciate it.

I am excited by your news that the device is in the distribution channels now. A couple of quick questions on your post below -

- Is Netgear still on track for releasing Tomato firmware for WNDR3800? If so, what is the approx. timeline?

- I have always been told that Tomato firmware can only work with Broadcom based devices. WNDR3700 is Atheros based, hence Tomato does not support it. Hence, if the WNDR3800 will have Tomato released for it, does it imply that it is Broadcom based? If so, that is awesome news, for open firmwares.

Many thanks!

I have forwarded your tomato question to Netgear. Waiting for an answer for you.
post #213 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewalls123 View Post

Unfortunately none of those places will ship to the UK, and it isn't listed at all on the amazon UK site. Any info you can get on an availability date would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Waiting on an answer on UK availability.
post #214 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsilver View Post

The 3800 will work with Lion but not at ship time. Netgear has to rework the code for Lion. Eta for Lion is September.

Thank you. Follow-up question, per support dot netgear dot com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19340/~/wndr3800-firmware-version-1.0.0.16

Quote:
Time Machine function limitation: If your Mac OS is 10.6 version and the size of total backup files is over 30 GBytes, the backup might be failed.

Does that mean I can do 30GB at a time, or 30GB max for a backup -- and will that issue be addressed in a firmware upgrade, perhaps in September? Or is that even a problem with the firmware that's actually shipping with the physical WNDR3800 router?
post #215 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tietack View Post

Thank you. Follow-up question, per support dot netgear dot com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19340/~/wndr3800-firmware-version-1.0.0.16

Does that mean I can do 30GB at a time, or 30GB max for a backup -- and will that issue be addressed in a firmware upgrade, perhaps in September? Or is that even a problem with the firmware that's actually shipping with the physical WNDR3800 router?

The 30 gig is a total limit for a backup. Don't know if that will be increased. The reason the 3800 was delayed was due to a memory increase to improve time machine performance. They doubled the memory in the now shipping units. But if your need is larger then the 30g I would look to another time machine backup solution to be on the safe side.
post #216 of 416 Old 08-09-2011, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Waiting on an answer on UK availability.

Ok got a partial answer. There will be no UK specific 3800. There will be a unit in Europe but you will need to get a power adapter for UK plugs. I am waiting to hear where you will be able to order this from. The proper sku will be WNDR3800-100PES. I'll let you know more when I have details.
post #217 of 416 Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:

Ok got a partial answer. There will be no UK specific 3800. There will be a unit in Europe but you will need to get a power adapter for UK plugs. I am waiting to hear where you will be able to order this from. The proper sku will be WNDR3800-100PES. I'll let you know more when I have details.

Anyone who wants to buy the 3800 in the UK I seem to have found a site which sell it, it's not currently in stock but they have an ETA of Aug 23rd. They also seem to have a model number of wndr3800-100uks, so it seems there is a UK specific model.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roductID=10540

And another
http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...prodID=2222437

And another
http://adsl24.co.uk/compstore/netgea...ndr3800-100uks
post #218 of 416 Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks Bob. I am looking forward to your response on the Tomato firmware support questions below. Do let me know,since it is central to my decision. Even if you can confirm that it has Broadcom chipset, that will go a long way to answer my question.

I am also looking forward to your review that you indicated you would post today

Thanks

Quote:
I have forwarded your tomato question to Netgear. Waiting for an answer for you.
post #219 of 416 Old 08-11-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewalls123 View Post

Anyone who wants to buy the 3800 in the UK I seem to have found a site which sell it, it's not currently in stock but they have an ETA of Aug 23rd. They also seem to have a model number of wndr3800-100uks, so it seems there is a UK specific model.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...roductID=10540

And another
http://www.lambda-tek.com/components...prodID=2222437

And another
http://adsl24.co.uk/compstore/netgea...ndr3800-100uks

Guys there was a uk specific sku but it was killed. They will probably supply the euro version. The Aug 23 date should be a good date.
post #220 of 416 Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:

You should be fine using the belkin as an access point. But realize to do that you need a Ethernet connection to the belkin. Turn dhcp off. Set up fix ip address different then the 3700 and set the ssid to the same as the 3700. You will get what you need.

Bob, thank you for the reply. I do have ethernet connection in my study to which the main computer is connected. I was planning to connect the Belkin to the wall outlet and use one of the LAN ports on the Belkin to connect the main PC.

The Belkin does only 100mbps. How important is it to have a gigabyte AP specially if I want to stream SD movies (no blue rays for now) from the basement to my family room? (Family room is very close to the study. Thanks in advance
post #221 of 416 Old 08-11-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcity View Post

Bob, thank you for the reply. I do have ethernet connection in my study to which the main computer is connected. I was planning to connect the Belkin to the wall outlet and use one of the LAN ports on the Belkin to connect the main PC.

The Belkin does only 100mbps. How important is it to have a gigabyte AP specially if I want to stream SD movies (no blue rays for now) from the basement to my family room? (Family room is very close to the study. Thanks in advance

Lack of gigabit wont be an issue for you. Since you are using the belkin as an AP it's ultimate throughput is the wireless which is much lower than the 100mbs of the hardwire connection.
post #222 of 416 Old 08-11-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:

The 30 gig is a total limit for a backup. Don't know if that will be increased. The reason the 3800 was delayed was due to a memory increase to improve time machine performance. They doubled the memory in the now shipping units. But if your need is larger then the 30g I would look to another time machine backup solution to be on the safe side.

Is this 30 gig limit true regardless whether the time machine backup drive is plugged into the USB port of the router or a gigabit ethernet port on the router? I currently have a 3 Tb WD network drive plugged into the ethernet port of a old Netgear WGT634U router and have been using this for wireless time machine backups of 2 Macbook Pros with no problem, well surpassing 30 Gb.
post #223 of 416 Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Any word if this router will support Tomato Firmware?
post #224 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanth77 View Post

Bob,

I have two desktops with Intel gigabit cards and transfer large files between the two.
What "jumbo frame" packet options are there on the 3800 and 4000? (9k?).

Thank You!

Here is the answer to the frame packets from one of the engineers.

"Only switch can support jumbo frame. Max. packet length 9K bytes at wire speed. Max. packet length 16K byte jumbo frame packet forwarding.

The CPU doesn't support jumbo frame, so the jumbo frame can only work between LAN to LAN."
post #225 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmexico View Post

Is this 30 gig limit true regardless whether the time machine backup drive is plugged into the USB port of the router or a gigabit ethernet port on the router? I currently have a 3 Tb WD network drive plugged into the ethernet port of a old Netgear WGT634U router and have been using this for wireless time machine backups of 2 Macbook Pros with no problem, well surpassing 30 Gb.

The 30 gig limit is only for drives connected to the usb port. The memory limit is tied to the processing power and memory in the router. It must do multi duties including the time machine support along with everything else it is managing on your network.

If you use a NAS that is connected to the lan port then what ever limits may exist on that unit would prevail. Since all the time machine processing occurs within the NAS that has no impact on the router.

Bob
post #226 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I have posted my review of the 3800 in a separate thread on AVS. The link is

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20813804

This review is based on my living with a 3800 for the past two weeks and using it's many new features. It has been a great experience and I believe those that have been waiting for this router will be very pleased.

Going forward I would like to move questions to that thread if all possible. I think for those researching a router will find it easier to get the information they are looking for. I will monitor both threads but again if you can please use the Review thread to post questions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bob Silver
post #227 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo30 View Post

Waiting on an answer. I will post when I get it. Meantime you can check out my review on the 3800 here. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post20813804
post #228 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:

The 30 gig limit is only for drives connected to the usb port. The memory limit is tied to the processing power and memory in the router. It must do multi duties including the time machine support along with everything else it is managing on your network.

If you use a NAS that is connected to the lan port then what ever limits may exist on that unit would prevail. Since all the time machine processing occurs within the NAS that has no impact on the router.

Bob

Thanks for clarifying Bob. Thus there is a big advantage in choosing a network drive over a usb drive for Time machine backups via wireless router. I am sure glad I went that route.
post #229 of 416 Old 08-12-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo30 View Post

Here is the answer from the product manager

Yes there will be tomato support./ Opensource community members on myopenrouter are working on it.

So the answer is yes!

Bob
post #230 of 416 Old 08-13-2011, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Awesome!

Thanks for sharing with us, Bob! You have been a great help on this forum

Now waiting impatiently for the product to become available......

Quote:

Here is the answer from the product manager

Yes there will be tomato support./ Opensource community members on myopenrouter are working on it.

So the answer is yes!

Bob

post #231 of 416 Old 08-13-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

If you have a NAS unit that would sit on the network. You could connect it to the 3800 via one of the Ethernet ports. You would not be using the USB for that.

The powerline will do great if you home wiring is ok. It is very dependent on wireline noise. Buy the power line from somewhere you can return it if it doesn't work. And frankly you could use the 200mbs power line for what you want to do as well. I use 200mbs in a second home I have and move video files all through the house. It will not stream bluray rips though. For that you need the 500mbs

Thanks Bob for your reply, the one other thing I need calcification on is a suitable modem to use with the 3800 as I don't see any mention of a modem only a Router of am I missing something.

Best Regards

PioneerPDP-506XDE, Pioneer DV-989AVI-S, Denon AVR-4306, Humax 9200T, Sony Freeview VTX D800U, Pioneer DV-565A,6x Keff Eggs, Sony PSP (Black & White) XBOX 360
post #232 of 416 Old 08-14-2011, 01:17 AM

does the WNDR3800 work with cable? how is the wireless range on it as my pc and xbox media center are in another room
post #233 of 416 Old 08-14-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

There is no modem built in so you will need a compatible modem to what your cable company suggests
post #234 of 416 Old 08-14-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlinerz View Post

does the WNDR3800 work with cable? how is the wireless range on it as my pc and xbox media center are in another room

You need a modem for your cable which plugs into the routers wan port. Range is great. Will do what you want
post #235 of 416 Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:

You need a modem for your cable which plugs into the routers wan port. Range is great. Will do what you want

great thanks for getting back to me
post #236 of 416 Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 AM

Hi,

I've got one WNDR3700v1 connected as an AP to my wired router. That works fine but now I'm thinking of replace the PC-(linux)router with another WNDR3700 or maybe an WNDR3800 due to it is smaller and does not require the same amount of power + then I'll "hopeful" have better wireless coverage.

Do the WNDR3800 have a better interface for configuration than WNDR3700 which is very basic when it comes to configure the firewall?
What is then the best way to use them together, repeater or connected as AP? I noticed in the latest release that there is an option to be used for "AP mode" how does that work, can you then use the WLAN-port or do you still need to connect it by using only the LAN-ports?

I hope that the WNDR3800 will have a better GUI which lets the user have more control, but I also read that there will be support for WNDR3800 by open source projects like OpenWRT and Tomato but will they be able to give the same performance as the stock firmware due to chipset-drivers?

I also tested the Netgear Genie, but that didn't support routers connected as an AP and no way to change the ip-address to the router!

Thanks in advance!
post #237 of 416 Old 08-15-2011, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlinerz View Post

great thanks for getting back to me

Story time. I bought my cable modem. Its a Motorola SB6120 and works fine. There is a gigabit ethernet interface and simple configuration. But it has bright lights (that can be covered like I cover my WND4000). One issue to consider is cable company service if you get your own modem: will they update it? My cable company had a "deal" of three months free, so I went from DSL to cable for higher speed. In the past, these "deals" meant cheap and old equipment. So I jumped on a new DOCSIS 3 modem which was on their compatability list.

Then I saw the firmware was old so I asked for an update. They said since it was my modem, they would not do the update. So I would ask your cable office what modem you will get then research the modem's properties. I might be better to spend the extra $ to use their modem.
post #238 of 416 Old 08-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
One issue to consider is cable company service if you get your own modem:
will they update it?
No. If you want them to service your modem, you rent one from them.

Quote:
I might be better to spend the extra $ to use their modem.
Or rent their modem for a month or two. If you like it, you can return theirs
and buy one at retail ... and maintain it yourself.
post #239 of 416 Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilcar Barca View Post

No. If you want them to service your modem, you rent one from them.

Or rent their modem for a month or two. If you like it, you can return theirs
and buy one at retail ... and maintain it yourself.

There is the problem. Only the cable company can update the cable modem firmware. That's what Motorola told me.
post #240 of 416 Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

Only the cable company can update the cable modem firmware.
That's what Motorola told me.

I didn't know Moto maintained such tight control over Surfboard firmware.

Why do you need a firmware upgrade?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page