Best way to combine 2 DVD ISO images into one large file? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Want to rip my extended versions of LOTR, they're on 2 DVDs each. I found a way to do it once through DVDFab (i've tried again and can't figure it out :P), yet I had to compress it for a DVD9 file so it wasnt perfect anyway... is there a better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

Want to rip my extended versions of LOTR, they're on 2 DVDs each. I found a way to do it once through DVDFab (i've tried again and can't figure it out :P), yet I had to compress it for a DVD9 file so it wasnt perfect anyway... is there a better option?

much harder than you would think. not something I would recommend undertaking.

Sean
post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Make them mkv... Higher compression on similar picture quality, but you will loose menus and chapters.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for replies. looks like its just easier to leave as 2 files...
post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Liked: 11
pretty sure I did this awhile ago with DVD shrink. 99% sure there was a way to join the two discs as one big file, but it was for the movie only, no extra's. Or you could just wait for June for the blu-ray!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-03-2011, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

pretty sure I did this awhile ago with DVD shrink. 99% sure there was a way to join the two discs as one big file, but it was for the movie only, no extra's. Or you could just wait for June for the blu-ray!

oh wow, i knew they were taking pre-orders, but there wasnt a date last time i looked. End of June is much sooner than I anticipated, thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-04-2011, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 59
1) Use MakeMKV to generate a single MKV for each DVD. Do it for the main feature only, that means untick any extras. Also, make sure that the language and subtitles tracks you include are the same in both MKVs. So if you only pick the DTS track in the first disc, do the same for the second (so the streams match up properly when you go to join them).

2) Open MKVMergeGUI and drag the first MKV into the input window.

3) Press 'append' and select the 2nd MKV.

4) Press 'mux'.

You will now have a single MKV. It will be the exact same MPEG-2 video stream that was on the DVDs, same for the audio tracks, and the vobsub tracks if you select them.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-04-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero the hero View Post

It's a very simple thing to do with DVD Shrink. I do it quite frequently for 2-disk mini-series and movies to make a single large .iso to put on my NAS unit for the streamer. Here is how I find it most convenient for me.

I rip the two DVDs as .iso onto the HDD of my PC using DVD Decrypter. I then open up DVD Shrink and open the first .iso file. I then go into re-author mode and pull the part #1 main_title file into the left-side re-author list. I then open the second .iso file and pull the part #2 main_title file over to the left side. I then select each main_title part and only include the checkboxes for the DD 5.1 soundtrack and the English subtitles. I then just push the button and let Shrink make a new .iso file with the two titles. Shrink is smart enough to know what you are combining came from separate .iso files and opens them as needed. Since it is for my NAS, I don't let Shrink do any compression.

The only caveat is that the end product contains the multiple movie parts as separate titles. As long as your playback device will automatically play all the titles one after the other, you are set. I've only run into one cheap DVD player my daughter had that would not do that. In that case I had to press the chapter skip button at the end of the first title to continue playing the second title.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 10 Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM

You are awesome! smile.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 02-15-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

Yes Dvd shrink and Auto Gk would Work Great..

Sent from my MB860 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page