WD My Book Live, Owners thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i saved some music on the default public share via the packaged software but when I went to go do a test view it did not show the files so I went to go delete the files off the share I could not figure out how to do so because the files wouldn't show up to delete in the first place. How do I delete the files if I upload to the public share file?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-16-2012, 02:33 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrodie617 View Post

I have this drive in my setup as well. It is connected to my network via a gigabit wireless router. The device is hardwired to the network. Also connected is my PS3. I am using this drive to play music and movies stored on it through my PS3 to my Panasonic plasma.

Does anyone have a better streaming device for this drive as the PS3 doesn't show album art or cover art for the movies to make selections with.

Thanks!

I'm hoping to use it with a WDTV Live - same manufacturer with an active community of hackers!
post #33 of 39 Old 10-17-2012, 01:30 PM

Purchase a 2TB My Book Live and couldnt be happier! It is streaming to all my devices in the house nicely and can even access remotely! Setup has been pretty easy and I have not seen any issues with the software. It even picks up my other USB My Book essential and shows all setting for each.

I am still experimenting a little with Twonky on some of the devices, but overall I am impressed!

RGecy
post #34 of 39 Old 11-21-2012, 02:45 AM

Bought a WD 2TB MyBookLive last week. Wanted to put my Music on it so that I could access it from my Pioneer VSX-1121. I just copied my iTunes folder into the MyBookLive Public Music folder. from my Macbook. I can see all the all my music organised properly on my Pioneer VSX (Appears as MyBookLive-twonky in the Home Media Gallery). The iTunes server on MBL does it's job well. Everything works fine except that the Pioneer interface is really bad - slow and designed by CLI users. The Pioneer remote control android app works better. Music plays flawlessly. Have ordered the Roku and WD Live player boxes to stream movies- will let you all know my experiences with them.
Will be trying out video streaming this week. Some initial checks using DVDs ripped by MakeMKV into mkv format have given good results for file size up to 2GB. They play flawlessly over WiFi on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using the WD2go android app. With larger file sizes (around 6GB) MBL seems to have problems. The video starts only if you play it from the beginning. If you skip to a point forward the video player goes blank and waits forever. I have used MX Player as well as VLC player with the same result.
Will do some more checks this weekend. Just wondering if any of you have faced this problem.
Rajeev
post #35 of 39 Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I understand torent client Transmission can be put on this as well as nzbget and openVPN which require a 10euro donation as was stated earlier in this thread. I would like to use torrent on my mybooklive so that I can keep my PC turned off however its important for me that it works with private trackers. I've read indications that Transmission version that is running on MyBookLive is a very stripped one - does not support private trackers /doesn't have support for RSS feeds. Can anyone confirm? How about the paid clients? I don't mind paying a one time $10 fee if its much better. If it does work can I get some verification that it's working with current firmware? I'm not sure what firmware my Mybooklive is on. I don't see where this is shown. I updated about 6 months ago and am wondering if I should update prior to installing torrent client. As I understand it updating firmware removes all such programs and settings from Mybooklive.
post #36 of 39 Old 09-10-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I ordered 2tb live. I am planning to stream music, dvds and blu-ray movies to my dune player. I will find instructions to assign static ip address to WD live. How do I enable the drive to share files through NFS? Let me know for any suggestions on using this drive with Dune.
post #37 of 39 Old 10-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Does anyone else have problems connecting to this? I have a laptop with Windows 8, and sometimes the folders show up, and sometimes they don't with the message "Windows cannot access \\MYBOOKLIVE" or something like that. The connection comes and goes. It works fine with my Oppo BDP93, but not so well with my LG Blu-ray player. Sometimes I have to restart the LG two or three times before it will connect to the WD. I'm connecting through a router.

BTW, I also had a WD MBL at my office, and it just died. It's not that old. The box went bad, and I had a terrible time trying to recover the files off of the hard drive. I replaced it with a Buffalo, which was a lot more expensive, but it works better. Maybe the MBL is a little too "low end" in the NAS market...?
post #38 of 39 Old 10-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've been running my "low end" for years without any problems.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #39 of 39 Old 11-25-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 104
After being around for 2.5 years the WD My Book Live has been replaced by the WD My Cloud. My timing was a bit off since right after I purchased my 2TB MBL the MC was introduced. There is also the new My Cloud EX4 NAS.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

At any rate I found the MBL to be just right for my purposes - backing up the DVD's in my collection that have not been issued on Blu-rays - and the list is long. Since my HDTV plasma and front projector are located in the same room as my 500+ Blu-ray collection there is no desire (or need) on my part to rip any of the BD movies to a HDD. There is also the reality that hard drives fail eventually.

I've been using the MakeMKV beta and it's been great so far. Being able to eliminate the parts of the DVD that are unnecessary before creating the mkv is a big plus. I run the program off of a spare computer I have in my media room and move the files over to the MBL which is in a guest bedroom where the modem and router are located, everything is connected via ethernet cable. I've done over 50 DVD's, averaging 8-10 rips per day so it's slow going. Once the mkv file is on the MBL I use the ThumbGen Lite program to generate the necessary graphic data to use with WDTV Live streamer. The two devices have been a good match.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page