WD My Book Live, Owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 04-07-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Just purchsed a brand-new Western Digital "WD My Book Live" external hard drive for whole-house NAS implementation.

Didn't see a dedicated thread here on this forum, hope other owners could post their comments, details here.

------------------------------------------------
Share your media with everyone on your wired or wireless network with this network drive that is compatible with PC and Mac for wide-ranging use.

What's Included
Western Digital My Book Live 2TB External Home Network Drive
Ethernet cable, AC adapter
Software
Owner's manual
Product Features
2TB maximum storage capacity
For expanded file storage.
Ethernet chip technology
Delivers read speeds up to 1000 MBps.
Automatic backup
Via WD SmartWare for Windows XP, Vista or 7 or Apple® TimeMachine software for Mac. Back up wirelessly over your Wi-Fi network.
Compatible with Apple iPhone®, iPad and iPod® touch
For viewing your photo collection via Western Digital Photos (available on the Apple App store; additional fees may apply).
Stream digital media
To most DLNA/UPnP devices, including Blu-ray Disc players, game consoles, media players and more.
Apple, the Apple logo and iTunes are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. iPod is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

Warranty Terms - Parts3 yearsWarranty Terms - Labor3 yearsProduct Height1.9"Product Width5.3"Product Weight2.4 lbs.Product Depth6.5"Internal or ExternalExternalDrive Capacity2TBDrive ConnectivityEthernetData Transfer Rate to/from InterfaceUp to 1000 MBpsCache Buffer Size62MBSecuritySoftwareSoftware IncludedWD SmartWareSystem RequirementsPC: Windows XP, Vista, 7; Mac: OS X Leopard, Snow LeopardColor CategoryBlackPortable or DesktopDesktop
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I purchased 2TB model from Best Buy. Plan to integrate this into my network as well as A/V system. Using Marantz AV7005 pre-pro with multiple disc players (ie. Oppo BDP-95, etc.,...). Also using LinkSys Gigabit router and AlienWare desktop PC running on WIN 7 Professional.

Hope to be able to run auto back-up's of PC data. Want to stream WinMedia, FLAC music and jpeg image files to Marantz AV7005.

Also will connect Oppo BDP-95 directly to etherNET, hope to access My Book Live archive for music, image and video files.
post #3 of 39 Old 04-12-2011, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

installing My Book Live. Seem to be having problems setting things up properly mapping drive (name) and configuring WDSmartWare software.

I'm using a LinkSys gigabit router, and an AlienWare PC with Windows 7 Professional.

After making all necessary connections I loaded the My Book Live software disc. I enable the setup.exe file, I get the MyBookLive set-up screen.

I select "Discovery" and it seems to immediately see the drive just fine on my network. I select a drive designator ("G" for example), then select "Continue" button. All of a sudden I get an error message explaining "Operation timed out", hmmmmm? WTF? And nothing happens, screen goes away.

After re-booting my machine I noticed it actually created and mapped the new drive name.

Now I install the WDSmartWare set-up file. It seems to load okay. However when I invoke this application it seems to come up okay and display my disc properties but it does not allow me to select the "Backup Files" tab, so I can't do anything with this stupid drive yet.

So I called Western Digital technical support. The representative did'nt seem too knowledgeable, and really could'nt seem to elaborate on possible reasons why this was happening. So he took the easy way out and requested for an "advanced Replacement". So they will send me another new unit to try. I hope it works (somehow I don't see it doing anything different?).

I'm thinking there is some system component or layer that needs to be turned-ON or configured? Maybe UPnP? I don't know?
post #4 of 39 Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If you just need to get into the drive's setting, in your browser, just type in the ip address of the drive and it will bring up the drive's settings page automatically.

I stayed away from installing smartware since I had read people saying it was bad. I am not using the drive for backup. I have 2 of the 2tb ones I am using for media storage and streaming. They work great with the Boxee Box.

The only issue(minor) I have with the drive is that if I every turn the drive off or reboot it, it INSISTS on creating 3 directories called Video, Music and Photos. I delete them every time but they always come back if the drive happens to reboot. I think Twonky might be the culprit but it's not that big of a deal and my drives shouldn't be rebooting all that often anyway.
post #5 of 39 Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Liked: 10
I have this drive in my setup as well. It is connected to my network via a gigabit wireless router. The device is hardwired to the network. Also connected is my PS3. I am using this drive to play music and movies stored on it through my PS3 to my Panasonic plasma.

Does anyone have a better streaming device for this drive as the PS3 doesn't show album art or cover art for the movies to make selections with.
Thanks!

Gaming doesn't kill people! Crazy, pent up, overly agressive, repressed, gun wielding people kill people.

PSN ID: Mbrodie617
post #6 of 39 Old 04-12-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

If you just need to get into the drive's setting, in your browser, just type in the ip address of the drive and it will bring up the drive's settings page automatically

thanks for your input. I just entered IP address into browser does'nt seem to attatch to this drive for some reason (does'nt go anywhere). I will play around some more.

Also noticed, when going through WDSmartWare installation (attempt), there is a link named "details" which pop's-up a small screen listing IP address and MAC address. It shows IP address but not MAC address, is this normal?

Quote:

I stayed away from installing smartware since I had read people saying it was bad. I am not using the drive for backup. I have 2 of the 2tb ones I am using for media storage and streaming. They work great with the Boxee Box.

too bad SmartWare has not so good comments. I'm wanting to try it first (if I can get it working) and see for myself just how good/bad it really is.

I'm hoping to be able to use this My Book Live as a basic NAS, so I can stream files as well as back-up my PC data.

Never heard of "Boxee", interesting. I will be streaming files form the MyBookLive to my Oppo BDP-95 player as well as to my Marantz AV7005 processor (both DLNA capable).

Quote:

The only issue(minor) I have with the drive is that if I every turn the drive off or reboot it, it INSISTS on creating 3 directories called Video, Music and Photos. I delete them every time but they always come back if the drive happens to reboot. I think Twonky might be the culprit but it's not that big of a deal and my drives shouldn't be rebooting all that often anyway.

hmmm, interesting, thanks for the heads-up on that
post #7 of 39 Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I received an "advanced replacement" WD MyBookLive today directly from Western Digital factory.

I connected it to the original ethernet cable and A/C power adapter (
from first unit). The unit powered-ON as indicated by steady green LED.

I powered-UP PC. Waited a few minutes for everything to come up. Inserted the MyBookLive software CD. Stepped through the "Discovery" procedure. I can see the drive just fine. Upon selecting the "Details" link I can now see, both, IP and MAC address are present (good!).

I selected a drive name ("G"), selected "Continue". After several seconds it created and mapped the new drive name, and then switches to next screen displaying all selections to perform all functions (setting-up back-up's, etc.,..).

Good service
post #8 of 39 Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM

Hi

I need some help. I have the my book live 1TB, which was working fine. Recently though the WD device manager started showing 0% used and when I tried clicking the network folder from the computer it said the device could not be mapped. For some reason it does not display any of the movies on ps3 nor can it be accessed through another laptop (wireless). I can't figure out the problem.

I tried reinstalling the drivers and it started working but after that it's back to the same situation.
post #9 of 39 Old 04-14-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only issue(minor) I have with the drive is that if I every turn the drive off or reboot it, it INSISTS on creating 3 directories called Video, Music and Photos. I delete them every time but they always come back if the drive happens to reboot. I think Twonky might be the culprit but it's not that big of a deal and my drives shouldn't be rebooting all that often anyway

yeah, I noticed when my PC came up this morning (I re-boot my machine every morning, I power-OFF every night) a new drive is mapped and listed- ie. "Public (\\\\MyBookLive) (M)", and new folders underneath. Not sure if this is designed in software purposely or what? I guess this is the same behavior your mentioning here?
post #10 of 39 Old 04-14-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post

I need some help. I have the my book live 1TB, which was working fine. Recently though the WD device manager started showing 0% used and when I tried clicking the network folder from the computer it said the device could not be mapped. For some reason it does not display any of the movies on ps3 nor can it be accessed through another laptop (wireless). I can't figure out the problem.

I tried reinstalling the drivers and it started working but after that it's back to the same situation.

hmmm, this is too bad. I'm hoping this isn't a trend for these devices? I would contact technical support 800-275-4932 .

I have a few-year-old regular MyBook (250GB). It worked fine for the most part. However in the last few months it seems to not be recognized on my system. I'm keep getting a message asking me to re-format drive, but I'm scared of erasing all my data. It also gives me the following message : "volume does not contain a recognized file system".

I will have to contact technical support.
post #11 of 39 Old 04-29-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just purchased a second MyBookLive. I want to dedicate one unit for backing-up my main PC data, and the second unit for archiving primarily DVD's and BluRay's.

I plan to use a new NetGear 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch-GS105.

So when hooking things up I will plug both MyBookLive etherNET connections into the NetGear switch, which then gets plugged into my (crowded) 5-port LynkSys gigabit router. Should it matter which router port the NetGear switch gets plugged into?

Also when configuring two MyBookLive drives will the existing driver software license work for both drives?

Hopefully someone has experience with connecting multiple MyBookLive drives (guess it should'nt be different from connecting multiple drives of other brands/types?)
post #12 of 39 Old 04-30-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I only have one, so can't help you there. But I suggest buying an 8-port switch because a 5-port one may be full before you know it.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

okay so I'm running a first-time back-up (47.98GB) of PC data onto my WD MyBookLive today. I started it approx 07:30am this morning, when I came back home later this afternoon (approx 01:30pm) the WDSmartWare content gauge shows that 47.97GB of PC data has been backed-up. A message displayed in upper-left corner of screen says "Partial Backup Completed". So now, like 12 hours later (07:30pm), it still displays "Partial Backup Completed", I guess the back-up process is still active? Also when I view actual MyBookLive file system (via-Explorer) it shows no data or files present.

I called Western Digital technical support, explained the situation, they replied that this behavior should be normal? That the drive is most likely generating the additional default version's of file(s) (in my case the default = 5).

Is it normal to take this amount of time generating first-time back-up (like 12 hours-plus)? For 48GB of data?
post #14 of 39 Old 02-20-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

really enjoying a brand-new Oppo BDP-93 so far. I've been playing around streaming files from a WD "MyBookLive" network drive with sample WMA and jpeg files. I've navigated via my Denon AVR-2112CI receiver and BDP-93, separately, testing their diffferences in which they access and play files. Pretty cool.

I've loaded test files at various levels on the "MyBookLive" (directory structures) to verify they can be "seen" and read. At one point I deleted some WMA test files, re-loaded different (new) files, now I can't see them while navigating network connection via-Oppo or Denon. I can see other adjacent structures (ie. "My Photos", etc.,...), but can't see the "My Music" level now. Should something be re-cycled? I powered-OFF/ON the Oppo, still can't see "My Music" folder. hmmmmmm

Eventually I'm hoping to be able to load my complete (18GB) WMA music file structure onto this MyBookLive and go "live".
post #15 of 39 Old 02-23-2012, 06:11 PM

I am in the process of getting either a hard drive or a DLNA live hard drive for my system (Onkyo SC5508 & Oppo 95). However reading the issues that everyone is having with the WD My Book live setup gives me pause. Any comments?
post #16 of 39 Old 02-23-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre58 View Post

I am in the process of getting either a hard drive or a DLNA live hard drive for my system (Onkyo SC5508 & Oppo 95). However reading the issues that everyone is having with the WD My Book live setup gives me pause. Any comments?

I was going to buy one of these drives long time ago at CostCo, and there was a computer IT tech guy there who likes to stream his movies, music, etc., and he didn't have good things to say about it. He said the WD software was glitchy, and would act weird by not recognizing your files, not backing them up, taking days to back files up, or saying that the drive was empty, etc.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #17 of 39 Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Been using 2 of them now to house and stream my movies to my Boxee box,for almost a year and they have been great. Never had a set up issue with them, but I stayed away from the software.

I just plugged them in and went directly to the configuration page via the web browser.

However, I will mention, I am having an issue with one of the LED lights on the case. On one of my drives, the light is completely burned out and does not function at all. This was the 2nd one I bought(first one is still fine), about a week after the first. When I got it, I noticed that the light was alot dimmer than the first one I had, so maybe it was bad to begin with.

I contacted WD on it and they said it was in warranty and I could RMA it if I wanted, as the light is a warranty issue. However they are on backorder for RMAs.
post #18 of 39 Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^^ How are you accessing the drive from Boxee, via SMB, NFS or DNLA?
post #19 of 39 Old 02-24-2012, 02:44 PM

Does it have Torrent Client built-in or can it be mod to use torrent client?
post #20 of 39 Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichibanrhino View Post

Does it have Torrent Client built-in or can it be mod to use torrent client?

Yes, you can run a torrent client (transmission).
An nzb/newsgroup client is also available.

highlevelbits.free.fr

Transmission is free, nzbget and openVPN require a 10euro donation.

I have a 2TB and a 3TB.
The first 3TB died after a week. The replacement has been solid.

I've been using them to host network files for my WDTV Live Hub.
I use mostly SMB or NFS. I use DLNA for the ipad.

-Dave
post #21 of 39 Old 02-25-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

^^^ How are you accessing the drive from Boxee, via SMB, NFS or DNLA?

NFS now. However, prior to NFS support on Boxee, I was using SMB.
post #22 of 39 Old 03-19-2012, 12:36 PM

I have a Dune prime 3.0 and stream Blu Ray ISO's from a NAS that is full with no way to expand. I was wondering if the My Book Live can stream Blu Ray ISO's without a problem. My dream NAS is not currently in the budget, so I thought the 3tb model would be a nice addition to my network. Any real world experience?

Not really interested any of the advanced features. Just wondering if it can stream BD ISO's without a hickup over a network share (NFS or SMB)

Thanks,

Chris
post #23 of 39 Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 AM

Hi folks. I'm relatively new to the NAS streaming solution and need some advice please. Sorry for the noob questions.

I just purchased the WD Live 2TB and want to stream Blu-Ray movies and high quality (256 kbs or FLAC) audio files to my Denon 2112ci. I've learned that I can't use the WiFi/SmartHub feature on my Samsung TV b/c it won't support audio files above 192 kbs. That's why I decided to go with the NAS solution and put all my iTunes files on it.

Is it advisable to use the NAS as the iTunes directory as well as for streaming to other devices? i.e. rip all your CDs to the NAS and designate it as your iTunes music directory? Or, do you just duplicate your iTunes directory that is on your PCs internal/external hard drive onto the WD LiveBook?

I have a Roku which does not see any local network devices so I assume that it is not an option for streaming my music to my AV system, right?

My 2112 has an ethernet port but I was trying to get away with not running CAT 6 cable between floors of my house. I can do it if that's the best/only way to steam high quality audio and BR video files to my system. Is this the best solution overall for what I want to accomplish?

Opinions and recommendations are welcome.
post #24 of 39 Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Been using 2 of them now to house and stream my movies to my Boxee box,for almost a year and they have been great. Never had a set up issue with them, but I stayed away from the software.

I just plugged them in and went directly to the configuration page via the web browser.

However, I will mention, I am having an issue with one of the LED lights on the case. On one of my drives, the light is completely burned out and does not function at all. This was the 2nd one I bought(first one is still fine), about a week after the first. When I got it, I noticed that the light was alot dimmer than the first one I had, so maybe it was bad to begin with.

I contacted WD on it and they said it was in warranty and I could RMA it if I wanted, as the light is a warranty issue. However they are on backorder for RMAs.

As a followup, they finally shipped me a new one for the LED issue I had. It ended up being the THREE(3) TB version, instead of the 2tb one I was replacing. Sent the other one back, they acknowledged receipt of it and I am good to go with the 3TB version now
post #25 of 39 Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
got my 3 tb mybooklive. Transfer speed is 11 MB/second unless everything in network is gigabit. Then I get about 55 MB/second. My popbox is able to connect to mybooklive via nfs since mybooklive has nfs server. Is NFS supposed to be better?
post #26 of 39 Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As a followup, they finally shipped me a new one for the LED issue I had. It ended up being the THREE(3) TB version, instead of the 2tb one I was replacing. Sent the other one back, they acknowledged receipt of it and I am good to go with the 3TB version now

this is cool. I should have an RMA issued for my (2nd) unit, the LED does'nt seem to function at all as well. You never know what's really going on.

I've migrated my complete WMA archive (25GB) onto this 2TB WD MyBookLive unit for about two months now. It seems to stream beautifully throughout the house as I had planned. I'm using a Denon AVR-2112CI receiver in my living room system (along with an Oppo BDP-93). While in USB/NET mode I can navigate through my music archive (using the Denon remote) and select and play music (via-Twonky). It sounds very nice I might add. I prefer using the Denon instead of the Oppo BDP-93 to stream, I prefer the navigation
post #27 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 12:53 PM

My local Best Buy is having a clearance on these guys and I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm not sure exactly how it works.
Is this essentially just a NAS device, so it's just a 1TB networked drive? Or can this device stream to other devices? If it can stream -- how does that work? Where/how is the interface setup?

Thanks!
Marc
post #28 of 39 Old 06-29-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

this is cool. I should have an RMA issued for my (2nd) unit, the LED does'nt seem to function at all as well. You never know what's really going on.

I've migrated my complete WMA archive (25GB) onto this 2TB WD MyBookLive unit for about two months now. It seems to stream beautifully throughout the house as I had planned. I'm using a Denon AVR-2112CI receiver in my living room system (along with an Oppo BDP-93). While in USB/NET mode I can navigate through my music archive (using the Denon remote) and select and play music (via-Twonky). It sounds very nice I might add. I prefer using the Denon instead of the Oppo BDP-93 to stream, I prefer the navigation

Well, now BOTH of my drive's LEDs are out., even the replacement 3TB one. The old 2TB one still shows blue when booting up but the green and red are gone, so when it's fully booted, it shows nothing. The replacement 3TB drive's LED is 100% out. Both still work fine. I dunno if I am gonna do an RMA tho. I doubt it.
post #29 of 39 Old 07-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Liked: 16
I was interested in the 3TB MB Live, but this thread is giving me doubts. I do want to do backups as well as steam music and videos, but the hassle may not be worth it. What are the competitors for My Book Live with the same set of features or more?

Also do you have to have a PC left on at home to access the files outside of the home? I don't have a desktop anymore as my family is all mobile (i.e. laptops, phones and tablets).

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #30 of 39 Old 07-15-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_IV View Post

Well, now BOTH of my drive's LEDs are out., even the replacement 3TB one. The old 2TB one still shows blue when booting up but the green and red are gone, so when it's fully booted, it shows nothing. The replacement 3TB drive's LED is 100% out. Both still work fine. I dunno if I am gonna do an RMA tho. I doubt it.

I would RMA them, and have them fixed since this will cost you nothing (I hope). If it was me, i would buy an external hard drive enclosure and make your own. They are pretty inexpensive.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page