So confused! best under $200 to play mkv/mp4 off of external usb-powered drive??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been searching for a media player under $200 to play my mkv and mp4 files off of my usb-powered seagate freeagent go 1tb external drive. But I'm so confused over all the options out there and not sure which ones can read and give enough power to a usb-powered drive. Any suggestions?

I have this drive for now as well as some usb flash drives for my media. Interested in playback mostly of mkv and mp4, but I also have some avi, divx, wmv, and mpg files too. 1080p playback and ability to pass thru dolby digital and dts are a must. Not interested in hooking up to a nas for now, although I may in the future if I become more tech savvy. I'm not interested in streaming netflix. I do like pandora though, but its not a dealbreaker to not have it. I have an av stand and I'd like a player that looks like an av component and could fit in the stand, so the boxee is out. The ability to download torrents directly through the player would be awesome but I'm realistic and know this may not be possible in my price range. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
hmm first i would say Popcornhour A-210, but then i saw you want HIFI size, then only C-200 or one of the Dunes will fit, but there we are over $200 already, hmmmaybe an older model from the Netgear Eva series, but they had not very good reviews.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

I looked into the popcorn hour a-120 and it looks good. It's a smal enough size to fit in an av stand. I believe it outputs1080p as well. Are there any concerns about it? I was wondering if it could support playback from a usb-powered drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cHarOn99 View Post

hmm first i would say Popcornhour A-210, but then i saw you want HIFI size, then only C-200 or one of the Dunes will fit, but there we are over $200 already, hmmmaybe an older model from the Netgear Eva series, but they had not very good reviews.

post #4 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For less than $200, there's nothing that really looks like a true audio component sitting on a stand. I'd say the closest is the WD Live Hub, but that won't bitstream what you want.

Personally I'd spend an extra $20(above your limit) and go with the A-210(PCH charges $19.99 shipping above the actual price so that's why I said an extra $20). While you can't stack anything on it(too small), it is at least black and will kinda fit in with the look of an audio component. I can't speak for the A-110, but as I have read, the A-210 is definintely a step up.

Another option is to wait a month or 2 for the new Iomega version of the Boxee Box. It has a more traditional shape and also will include a harddrive.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Liked: 12
The Netgear NeoTV 550. Not sure how well it supports USB powered drives though. Perhaps check in its forum or thread.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice. I've read nearly unanimous positive praise for the pch a-210 and I think I will go with that. It's perfect to fit into a tv stand or av component rack, it plays every file type, it plays 1080p files with support for lossless audio. The only thing it doesn't do is stream pandora, and while that would have been very nice it's not a deal breaker to not have it. I just wish there were more locations to buy it from - I would love to purchase it through amazon with prime shipping and no tax! But alas it will ship with a $20 shipping charge and won't ship until April 28 at the earliest direct from the manufacturer.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-19-2012, 04:28 PM

most bluray players will my samsung bd-c550 does this its about 60 bucks
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page