AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Will,

Your process is exactly what I do for BluRays One thing, you don't need to use AnyDVD first, just make sure AnyDVD is running on your PC and you can just skip right ahead to Clown_BD. Once done save to your Videos Shared folder on your EX495. Make sure each movie is in its own folder and make sure the folder is named exactly the movie. So for example if you just ripped True Grit the folder should be called "True Grit (2010)". I added the year, this isn't necessary but really ensures that when scraping you get the correct details. The dune is an excellent media player and excels better then just about any media player when it comes to playing back BluRay rips.

PM me or hit me up here if you have any other questions.

I used to never include the year but then I started to get more BD ISOs of originals and remakes so I wish I had put the year on everything when I first started ripping my BDs. So now I at least put the year on any older films and remakes. But I have too many to go back and put the year on them but at least most of them have not had issues when scraping.

Right now I'm in the process of separating some of my BD ISOs since all my drives in my WHS were around 93% full and I was down to less than 5TB of free space. So I'm initially going to copy all my TV SHow BD ISOs to my unRAID server to free up some space on my WHS. Then I need to decide how to separate out more titles to move over to my unRAID. But I'm not sure what else I can separate out to move except for moving titles based on the first letter in the title.

I don'T really like separating the content but my only other option would be to take the BD ISOs and pull out just the movie from them. But I would think that would be too time consuming.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I've been putting the ISOs into folders. I name the folder and the ISO "Movie Name (year)."

It helps with scraping, but doesn't ensure anything. I have several movies that Zappaiti scraped as something totally off the wall.

BTW, when you rip your movies to your hard-drive first before running clown_bd, you are probably adding at least 20 minutes and up to 1 hour of additional processing time...per movie. When you get into the hundreds, this is significant time.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

10-15% is a pretty big difference. 30% difference is huge. It makes me wonder if there isn't something else at play causing that difference.

Just to clarify, we are talking about ripped ISO images or MKV right?

These are MKV recordings. I changed the setup this evening to bypass the IScan Duo and go right to the projector from the Dune. The quality is now on par with the Oppo for both Blu Ray and SD content.

I think the Oppo is still slightly clearer and detailed, but the difference is marginal and totally acceptable, especially with the limitations of the Oppo interface discussed earlier.

The only other consideration is with audio, where the Oppo clearly outshines the Dune. I'll probably be selling the Oppo and buying a DAC, especially for music streaming. Either way, I'll be up above the cost of a BDP-95 or 83SE.

Max
Old 06-09-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfli View Post
These are MKV recordings. I changed the setup this evening to bypass the IScan Duo and go right to the projector from the Dune. The quality is now on par with the Oppo for both Blu Ray and SD content.

I think the Oppo is still slightly clearer and detailed, but the difference is marginal and totally acceptable, especially with the limitations of the Oppo interface discussed earlier.

The only other consideration is with audio, where the Oppo clearly outshines the Dune. I'll probably be selling the Oppo and buying a DAC, especially for music streaming. Either way, I'll be up above the cost of a BDP-95 or 83SE.

Max
Please explain how the oppo "clearly outshines" the Dune with music. I can bitstream out both to my DAC. The only thing my Oppo gives me is an SACD transport.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:33 AM

So I used DVDFab this morning to try and create an iso file of the main movie of one of my blu-ray dvd's. It created the .iso file, but it shows up as a zip file on my computer in the dvd fab folder. Is this what it's suppose to be. See below.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Please explain how the oppo "clearly outshines" the Dune with music. I can bitstream out both to my DAC. The only thing my Oppo gives me is an SACD transport.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1194011

The Sabre DACs in the BDP-83SE, while three years old, are far superior to those in the Dune players and have been compared favorably to CD and Universal players costing $5,000+. The Dune sounds like background music compared to the Oppo IMO.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29 View Post

So I used DVDFab this morning to try and create an iso file of the main movie of one of my blu-ray dvd's. It created the .iso file, but it shows up as a zip file on my computer in the dvd fab folder. Is this what it's suppose to be. See below.

I'm pretty sure that is simply a problem with your pc (see next paragraph), because it appears tha the file extension is .iso. Have you tried to play this back on your media player? Does it work?

For some reason, it appears .iso files on your pc are associated with the program Winzip. It may be that you don't have another program on your pc that can handle .iso files so Windows defaulted to the only program that could - Winzip.

You can change this in Windows. In Windows Explorer, right click on the file, select "open with", then "choose program". Select the proper program to associate with .iso files, then click on the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file", and click ok.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

I'm pretty sure that is simply a problem with your pc (see next paragraph), because it appears tha the file extension is .iso. Have you tried to play this back on your media player? Does it work?

For some reason, it appears .iso files on your pc are associated with the program Winzip. It may be that you don't have another program on your pc that can handle .iso files so Windows defaulted to the only program that could - Winzip.

You can change this in Windows. In Windows Explorer, right click on the file, select "open with", then "choose program". Select the proper program to associate with .iso files, then click on the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file", and click ok.

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks. So it doesn't seem like I used DVDFab incorrectly, right? This sort of ties into my next question. I'm getting really confused with all the different media players out there. I have been looking at the Popcorn Hour A-210, the Patriot Box Office, the WD TV Live Hub, etc. I was wanting one that could possible play back .iso files. Isn't this the best way to not lose quality, or is ripping to m2ts files via DVDFab not that big of a difference, as it seems every media player supports m2ts files. Please help.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks. So it doesn't seem like I used DVDFab incorrectly, right? This sort of ties into my next question. I'm getting really confused with all the different media players out there. I have been looking at the Popcorn Hour A-210, the Patriot Box Office, the WD TV Live Hub, etc. I was wanting one that could possible play back .iso files. Isn't this the best way to not lose quality, or is ripping to m2ts files via DVDFab not that big of a difference, as it seems every media player supports m2ts files. Please help.

ISO is just a container, it has no affect on quality. You are doing everything fine with DVDFab. IMO the Dunes are the best at playing back BluRay rips

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Old 06-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:

ISO is just a container, it has no affect on quality. You are doing everything fine with DVDFab. IMO the Dunes are the best at playing back BluRay rips

So is it better to make iso's or rip to m2ts or there is absolutely no difference?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post

Ok, so I tried opening with CyberLink PowerDVD 9, and it says that the file is not a valid Win32 application. Not exactly sure what that means.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Ok, so I tried opening with CyberLink PowerDVD 9, and it says that the file is not a valid Win32 application. Not exactly sure what that means.
Did you "mount" the iso first? In a pc environment, an iso file is simply a disc image. To playback that image, you must first "mount" the file as a drive. Virtual Clone Drive from Slysoft is a great free product to do this. Once the iso is "mounted", you should be able to play it using your software. If you purchase a media player that is streaming the file from your pc, it has the built-in tools to automatically mount that without you having to do anything - simply select the file and play. But when playing back using a pc, you MUST mount the ISO file first.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:04 AM

So I got a WD TV Live Plus, and I'm ripping a blu-ray right now. The video is VC-1, and it has two audio. AC-3/5.1 or AC-3 TrueHD/5.1. Based on the information below, what should I choose? Should take the VC-1 and AC-3/5.1? Or select the VC-1 and AC-3 TrueHD/5.1? Is Dolby Digital and DTS different than AC-3 TrueHD/5.1?

File Formats Supported:

Video - AVI (Xvid, AVC, MPEG1/2/4), MPG/MPEG, VOB, MKV (h.264, x.264, AVC, MPEG1/2/4, VC-1), TS/TP/M2T (MPEG1/2/4, AVC, VC-1), MP4/MOV (MPEG4, h.264), M2TS, WMV9, FLV (h.264)

Audio - MP3, WAV/PCM/LPCM, WMA, AAC, FLAC, MKA, AIF/AIFF, OGG, Dolby Digital, DTS

Edit: I just saw too that a receiver is required for multichannel audio and stuff. I don't have a receiver, so do I just choose AC-3/5.1 and not the TrueHD one?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

You can't choose both audio tracks?

LED DLP
Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

You can't choose both audio tracks?

I'm trying to rip to m2ts file. It won't let me choose both track when doing this. I copied the main movie to my hard drive with all the audio choices and just the main movie, then was going to make a m2ts file. Just trying to understand what AC-3 is and know if the WD TV Live Plus will play it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm trying to rip to m2ts file. It won't let me choose both track when doing this. I copied the main movie to my hard drive with all the audio choices and just the main movie, then was going to make a m2ts file. Just trying to understand what AC-3 is and know if the WD TV Live Plus will play it.

AC3 is an embedded track provided within TrueHD (basically non HD Audio, meant for use on devices that cannot handle the TrueHD track)

Cheers,
Damian

Old 06-10-2011, 09:08 AM

But is AC3 digital audio. Because it says on WD's website that an audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. I don't have surround sound at the moment. I'm just going to have HDMI from the media player to my tv. So will this audio not work then for my setup, and I need to convert it?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

AC3 is an embedded track provided within TrueHD (basically non HD Audio, meant for use on devices that cannot handle the TrueHD track)

So for this the "AC-3 TrueHD/5.1" track he has selected, is that all that would be needed to play both lossless or lossy audio?

So I could use that with a receiver that decodes the advanced codecs to get lossless audio, then on a receiver with legacy audio it would decode DD for lossy audio and also when connected straight to a Tv it would also be fine?

LED DLP
Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

So for this the "AC-3 TrueHD/5.1" track he has selected, is that all that would be needed to play both lossless or lossy audio?

So I could use that with a receiver that decodes the advanced codecs to get lossless audio, then on a receiver with legacy audio it would decode DD for lossy audio and also when connected straight to a Tv it would also be fine?

I think it depends on how the player is set up/. For example, if your player is set up to output LPCM or stereo to a TV then the player should just grab the AC3 track for playback. Set up the player to bitstream and the TrueHD will be sent out.

This is where folks with mkvs run into problems if a player cannot actually downmix/decode TrueHD. In mkvs you cannot currently have TrueHD/AC3 all in one track, so there is no AC3 track to grab

Cheers,
Damian

Old 06-10-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

But is AC3 digital audio. Because it says on WD's website that an audio receiver is required for multi-channel surround sound digital output. I don't have surround sound at the moment. I'm just going to have HDMI from the media player to my tv. So will this audio not work then for my setup, and I need to convert it?

AC3 is pretty much universally supported, your tv can handle it directly

Cheers,
Damian

Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:

AC3 is pretty much universally supported, your tv can handle it directly

Ok, so I should just select the first one then without the TrueHD, right?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok, so I should just select the first one then without the TrueHD, right?

I would test out with both options. The only thing I am not sure, the standalone AC3 track could be a different track (maybe audio commentary). Choosing the TrueHD/AC3 track might work as your WD TV Live may then grab the Ac3 track as long as you set up the audio correctly in the settings

Cheers,
Damian

Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:

I would test out with both options. The only thing I am not sure, the standalone AC3 track could be a different track (maybe audio commentary). Choosing the TrueHD/AC3 track might work as your WD TV Live may then grab the Ac3 track as long as you set up the audio correctly in the settings

You mean setup the audio on the TV Live Plus? Here is a link to the files supported and notes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320
Old 06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You mean setup the audio on the TV Live Plus? Here is a link to the files supported and notes.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=320

I don't own a WD TV Live so tbh I can't say for sure how you would set up. I would "assume" on the WD TV Live audio settings there will be an audio option which if you are connecting directly to a TV you would set at stereo/2.0. Now whether or not the WD would grab the AC3 track from the TrueHD/AC3 track I cant say for sure. If you are unsure just rip the AC3 track only option with DVDFab. Play back you rip after it is done to confirm that you have the right audio track, and then at a minimum you know for sure it will play on the WD without incident

Cheers,
Damian

Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I don't know what software you use for encoding, but unless it is written as a multi-threaded application, a multi-core processor won't give you much benefit. DVD Fab has an interesting approach for speeding up encoding. If you have a high-end NVIDIA graphics board installed, their code uses the high-speed CUDA graphics processor on the board to do the encoding.

I heard encoding with gpu gives better speed but worst quality, is this true? or just a myth?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is there any software to Test and/or Veirfy DVDFab Blu-Ray ".ISO Clones" for errors/glitches?

Murray Kerdman
Old 06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

Is there any software to Test and/or Veirfy DVDFab Blu-Ray ".ISO Clones" for errors/glitches?

With my BD ISOs I always just check to see if it will play. If it does then it has always been fine. If it doesn't play then I need to clean the lens of the BD Rom drive. When I started having some issues with some ISOs that would not play a few months ago I thought I had a drive going bad. But it turned out that the lens was dirty. I use the Maxell BD Lens cleaner with "Wind Funnel cleaning technology"
When a drive starts producing ISOs that won't play, I stick the cleaner in and run the cleaning process. Then the BD ROm drive is fine for ripping again.

LED DLP
Old 06-11-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I try to test my ISOs too, although I'm still in the initial ripping phase of my setup so I don't always test every single one. It's more annoying to test ISOs on my computer because you have to mount them first.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Ac3/5.1 audio is dolby digital 5.1 which is supported by the WDTV Live Plus, also supports DTS5.1 audio tracks.
In the WDTV setup menu you can select "stereo" for converting all types of audio tracks (AC3,DTS,AAC,etc) to stereo which will play on TVs with HDMI or with the analog stereo audio output. The "digital" audio setting on that menu is to enable full multi-channel audio formats to output on the optical audio output or HDMI to a receiver. You must select "stereo" to get multichannel audio to downconvert to stereo for direct connection to a TV.

Suggest use of the DVDFab blu-ray ripper "MKV" output format which can also include multiple audio and subtitle tracks as well as the chapters of the original title too. Subtitles will be output to a separate file(s) and if all are copied to a USB drive along with the MKV file, the WDTV Live Plus will recognize and select between the included audio and subtitle tracks, as well as chapters, in the options menu while playing the title.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abula View Post

I heard encoding with gpu gives better speed but worst quality, is this true? or just a myth?

You can switch to encoding in software only and compare with an encode with gpu use (Nvida CUDA) and compare the speed difference and look if you can notice any quality difference for your particular graphics card. I can't see any difference, but the speed is much faster using CUDA at least with a mid-high end Nvidia card like a GTX460 or better. The speed may not be significantly faster with a lower end graphics card however.

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com