Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 106 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3151 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Just makemkv now. I had convinced myself that ANYDDVD running in the background teamed with makemkv was giving me faster rips for awhile (1.6x to 2.0x) but that didn't last long and I was back to 1.6 a few days later with nothing changed. SO, I ended my ANYDVD trial and now it's just makemkv as far as I can tell, although I should remove ANYDVD now I suppose. Also have clown BD on here but I do nothing with it.

thanks

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Reservoir Dogs is the only one of those 3 movies I own... and it does have a weird tint to it. I hadn't noticed before. Anyway, I had no issues ripping it. I ripped it with AnyDVD HD to folder structure.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3153 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

thanks. I'll give it one more try. Crash really has me perplexed, it's a small movie at 15gigs so I've run it through 3 times now just for laughs...no joy.

James

post #3154 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
So I have just started using makeMKV and handbrake using the ATV3 settings. I am currently just using the 1TB harddrive on my iMac and running out of room very fast. ( actually no more room).
My question is; is it nessesary to keep the MKV file ( about 30 GB per) or can I just keep the mp4 file ( about 3 GB per). Thanks
post #3155 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den85 View Post

So I have just started using makeMKV and handbrake using the ATV3 settings. I am currently just using the 1TB harddrive on my iMac and running out of room very fast. ( actually no more room).
My question is; is it nessesary to keep the MKV file ( about 30 GB per) or can I just keep the mp4 file ( about 3 GB per). Thanks

The MKV file isn't needed for the MP4 to work properly if that's what you mean. Just depends on whether you want to keep the original quality rip or if you're happy with the re-encoded file.

post #3156 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den85 View Post

Depends. Do you ever want to watch the full fidelity version or is the compressed one good enough? I presume you still have the BD so you could play it from that if you do want to see the good version. 10 to 1 compression seems a bit radical.
post #3157 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 07:48 AM

It's mostly for animated movies and tv shows. And I haven't done any tinkering with the settings in handbrake. They look the same as the bluray version to me on a 42" lcd. 3gb was a bit low more like 4-5gb. But still a lot less than 30gb. Thanks for the quick replys.
post #3158 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey- while I'm thinking about it- why doesn't there exist (unless it DOES and I'm completely in the dark) a program where you can rip blu rays STRAIGHT to mp4 or mpv without the long transcoding process?

It would seem to me that many ios fans would do this straightway rather than messing around with handbrake. I realize you would lose the lossless audio but couldn't such a program extract a DTS or DD core?

Again, apologies if this can already be done, but I found nothing that jumped out at me with a google search.

James

post #3159 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Hey- while I'm thinking about it- why doesn't there exist (unless it DOES and I'm completely in the dark) a program where you can rip blu rays STRAIGHT to mp4 or mpv without the long transcoding process?

It would seem to me that many ios fans would do this straightway rather than messing around with handbrake. I realize you would lose the lossless audio but couldn't such a program extract a DTS or DD core?

Again, apologies if this can already be done, but I found nothing that jumped out at me with a google search.

James

I'm sure there is something out there.... but whenever I need to do this for some reason I just rip it with MakeMKV and remux it with ffmpeg. Remuxing the file take about 5-6 minutes. This will copy the file to the mp4 container as long as you have a compatible audio track. If I remember correctly it will just drop the HD audio track if present.
C:\ffmpeg\bin>ffmpeg -i "D:\input.mkv" -vcodec copy -acodec copy E:\out.mp4
If you don't have a compatible subtitle track you may need to drop it manually with -sn

post #3160 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 592
Quote:

James

You will have to buy DVDFab, and I believe it still takes hours to transcode. I like ripping my BD to folder structure with ClownBD + AnyDVD HD (for encryption). This only takes 45 min may be an hour rather than 4 hours to transcode.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3161 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Just makemkv now . . . . I ended my ANYDVD trial and now it's just makemkv as far as I can tell
It could be that MakeMKV is not able to handle the encryption of those titles.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3162 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It could be that MakeMKV is not able to handle the encryption of those titles.

I've ran into this quirk with MakeMKV a couple of times, Bridesmaids is one of them. Even with the encryption removed prior to running through MakeMKV it gets to the end and errors out. I just jump to MKVmerge for those titles, not as easy as MakeMKV or the added convenience of options but it gets the job done.
post #3163 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:

James
Because good compression and/or good sq compression takes time. You also don't have to lose lossless audio.
post #3164 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

I've ran into this quirk with MakeMKV a couple of times, Bridesmaids is one of them. Even with the encryption removed prior to running through MakeMKV it gets to the end and errors out. I just jump to MKVmerge for those titles, not as easy as MakeMKV or the added convenience of options but it gets the job done.
Most likely it is the drive and a quirky disc. When I run into this problem I just run it on a different drive and usually that works.
post #3165 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

You will have to buy DVDFab, and I believe it still takes hours to transcode. I like ripping my BD to folder structure with ClownBD + AnyDVD HD (for encryption). This only takes 45 min may be an hour rather than 4 hours to transcode.
It is so short because you are doing no compression.
post #3166 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was wondering if any of you gentlemen have had luck ripping the following titles:
1. Prometheus
2. Star Wars: The Complete Saga
3. Alien Anthology

I'm using DVDfab (Both Versions 8/9)
Ripping as full disc .iso
Attempting to play over network to Dune HD smart.

No luck, I might be asking too much with those titles ^_^
post #3167 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by LD-838D View Post

I was wondering if any of you gentlemen have had luck ripping the following titles:
1. Prometheus
3. Alien Anthology

I had no problems with Any DVD HD running in the background and using IMGBurn to rip to a full BD ISO. And playing them on my C200, A400, and Boxee Boxes. Although I don't think I've played all those titles on each media players. I played all of the titles but were on this media player or that media player.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3168 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 12:43 PM

>I had no problems with Any DVD HD running in the background and using IMGBurn to rip to a full BD ISO.
Hmmm,
Wondering if I should purchase ANY DVD......
post #3169 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

>I had no problems with Any DVD HD running in the background and using IMGBurn to rip to a full BD ISO.
Hmmm,
Wondering if I should purchase ANY DVD......

Only if you want to be problem-free, no hassle and have better things to do than babysit rips smile.gif
post #3170 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

1. Prometheus
3. Alien Anthology

I have ripped all of those BluRays you have listed without issue using DVD Fab -- have used DVD Fab for years. I always rip to folder structure. I never liked the .iso files created by DVD Fab, I have had problems with them not playing right in the past. If I want an .iso I will use ImgBurn to make an .iso out of the BDMV folder rip from DVD Fab. There used to be a way to link ImgBurn to DVD Fab so DVD Fab would use it to make the .iso instead of its internal routine -- but it seemed too complex so I never bothered. It was just as easy to launch ImgBurn and use it directly.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3171 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I have ripped all of those BluRays you have listed without issue using DVD Fab -- have used DVD Fab for years. I always rip to folder structure. I never liked the .iso files created by DVD Fab, I have had problems with them not playing right in the past. If I want an .iso I will use ImgBurn to make an .iso out of the BDMV folder rip from DVD Fab. There used to be a way to link ImgBurn to DVD Fab so DVD Fab would use it to make the .iso instead of its internal routine -- but it seemed too complex so I never bothered. It was just as easy to launch ImgBurn and use it directly.

Hmmm, Great Idea!
Give that a try tonight.
post #3172 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

1. Prometheus
3. Alien Anthology

I didn't think about it before, but did you try a different BD rom drive? I use a bunch of BD rom drives from three manufacturers, Samsung, LG, and LiteOn. Sometimes I will run into a disc that will have issues on a certain brand of BD rom. And if that happens I just use a different brand and it's usually fine. Then on the even more rare occasion, it won't work on two of the brands. But I have always been able to get it to rip from at least one of those brands. This does not happen very often though. It has been very rare for me to run across this. But I have run across it several times over the last 4.5 years of full BD ISO rips.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3173 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM

>I didn't think about it before, but did you try a different BD rom drive?
That was one of my many thoughts of what the issue might be.

Lots of great advise everyone, Thanks so much.
Got my weekend planned ^_^
post #3174 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
BLURRY GREEN SUBTITLES PROBLEM VIA DLNA

I want to play my Blu-ray rips (in MKV format) on an Oppo BDP-105 but that machine does not support PGS/SUP subtitles. A proposed solution was to convert the PGS/SUP subtitles to VobSub using BDSup2Sub.

I used MKVExtract to obtain a SUP file from one of my MKV files and then converted it to an IDX file with BDSup2Sub. MKVMerge was then used to combine this IDX with the original MKV file. I used the default settings for all three procedures.The resultant new MKV plays fine within JRiverMC. I can select either the original PGS subtitles or the new VobSub titles and they both look the same. I can also play this new MKV on my Oppo via HDMI without any problem. However, when I play this new MKV on the Oppo via DLNA the VobSub subtitles are in green rather than white and the text is rather blurred and indistinct.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

David

(This issue started life on the Oppo BDP-105 owners' thread but I was advised to move it here. I was also advised to give tsMuxeR a try as an alternative solution but I'm struggling to get that to open any of my Blu-ray files.)
post #3175 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:40 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure DLNA is not the issue. You can verify this by trying one of the files on local storage.

tsMuxeR is worth a try just to have something to compare it to. You'll want to open a playlist file (*.mpls) under BDMV/PLAYLIST. That should show all the streams in the title. Deselect all except for the subtitle and choose "Demux" for the output option. That will produce one file that BDSup2Sub can convert; note that VOBSUB has two files: *.idx (which is text) and *.sub (which is binary). Mkvmerge seems to be smart enough to find both if you specify one.

-Bill
post #3176 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On the input tab of tsMuxeR I clicked the Add button and browsed to several of the mpls files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder of one of my Blu-ray disks. I got a range of errors: a 'Can't detect stream type' message, a small dialogue box with a red X and a 'Bitstream exception' message.

David
post #3177 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Can't explain that; I use it every day. Maybe hunt around for a different version to install?

-Bill
post #3178 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 33
You skipped anything about DVDFab. It does a ton, and is powerful...but not cheap. Worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD 1.3
post #3179 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by goros View Post

You skipped anything about DVDFab. It does a ton, and is powerful...but not cheap. Worth mentioning.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk HD 1.3

Unless you only use the decryption part, then it's as cheap as you can get. smile.gif
post #3180 of 6364 Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post

On the input tab of tsMuxeR I clicked the Add button and browsed to several of the mpls files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder of one of my Blu-ray disks. I got a range of errors: a 'Can't detect stream type' message, a small dialogue box with a red X and a 'Bitstream exception' message.
If you are trying to do that on a BD disk, do you have decryption software running?

- kelson h

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page