Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 6496 Old 06-21-2011, 07:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's a question I have. Is it bad for an external hard drive to connect it to a media player and play movies directly from it? Will it ruin the hard drive over time? I have a WD 1TB external hard drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 10:29 AM

Liked: 12
I am not familiar with Clown_BD ver 0.79. So I tried to rip a BD and ended up with a file named Video_2.H264. File size ia bout 29 GB so it seems to be alright.

But the Video_2.H264 will not play with my VLC player. So my question is what do I have to do to play this file? I renamed the file extension H264 to mp4, and it still would not play.

This is from the H264 wiki:

"H.264 is perhaps best known as being one of the codec standards for Blu-ray Discs; all Blu-ray players must be able to decode H.264. It is also widely used by streaming internet sources, such as videos from Vimeo, YouTube, and the iTunes Store, web software such as the Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight, broadcast services for DVB and SBTVD, direct-broadcast satellite television services, cable television services, and real-time videoconferencing."

UPDAtE: I did succeed to play the Video_2.h264 with PowerDVD 10, but no sound. Apparently it's just a video file, the audio is some where unknown at this moment. I am still interested to play H264 file with VLC. So what codecs do I need? Although with no audio, this file format lost my interest real quickly. Is there somewhere a good tutorial for Clown_BD?
post #303 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

I am not familiar with Clown_BD ver 0.79. So I tried to rip a BD and ended up with a file named Video_2.H264. File size ia bout 29 GB so it seems to be alright.

But the Video_2.H264 will not play with my VLC player. So my question is what do I have to do to play this file? I renamed the file extension H264 to mp4, and it still would not play.

"H.264 is perhaps best known as being one of the codec standards for Blu-ray Discs; all Blu-ray players must be able to decode H.264. It is also widely used by streaming internet sources, such as videos from Vimeo, YouTube, and the iTunes Store, web software such as the Adobe Flash Player and Microsoft Silverlight, broadcast services for DVB and SBTVD, direct-broadcast satellite television services, cable television services, and real-time videoconferencing."

UPDAtE: I did succeed to play the Video_2.h264 with PowerDVD 10, but no sound. Apparently it's just a video file, the audio is some where unknown at this moment. I am still interested to play H264 file with VLC. So what codecs do I need? Although with no audio, this file format lost my interest real quickly. Is there somewhere a good tutorial for Clown_BD?

Yes, those are just the temp files. You need to play the output file (which did you choose, m2ts, ts, BluRay, ISO)?

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #304 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:

ClownBD will usually spit out multiple files. One is the video file (the .h264 file you mentioned). There will also be an audio file, chapter file and subtitle file.

Usually what I do after this is use mkvmerge to create a mkv file that contains audio, video and subtitle. mkvmerge is a part of mkvtoolnix. You can download it here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

The mkvmerge file is named mmg.exe, I believe.
post #305 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post

ClownBD will usually spit out multiple files. One is the video file (the .h264 file you mentioned). There will also be an audio file, chapter file and subtitle file.

Usually what I do after this is use mkvmerge to create a mkv file that contains audio, video and subtitle. mkvmerge is a part of mkvtoolnix. You can download it here: http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

The mkvmerge file is named mmg.exe, I believe.

This should explain it a little further on how to do:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010...n_bd-mkvmerge/

Cheers,
Damian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #306 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:

As you discovered, the .H264 file is a video stream -- that's all. You also need an audio stream and (optionally) a subtitle stream to make a complete title. Then you need to combine (MUX) them together into a single file container that your player can decode and play.

Clown_BD has multiple stages to do it's work that are not transparent like other applications may be. The first stage uses EAC3TO to extract (DEMUX) all the BD streams you have selected for the title of interest into a folder. That is where you apparently stopped and dug out the .H264 file.

The second stage uses TSMUXER to combine (MUX) the streams from the first stage into an .m2ts container (optionally creating the BDMV folder structure if you want to make a BD.iso or burn the title to a BD-R). Depending on your equipment, you can play the .m2ts, the BD.iso or the BD-R. The execution of the second stage is not automatic, you have to click the checkbox to turn it on.

edit: lots of collisions, we were all typing at the same time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #307 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Liked: 12
WOW!!!! You guys are fantastic !!! I am like a country dog in the city. If you stand still they eff you, and if you run they bite your ass. ( I think it's from the Best Whore house in Texas or some where else )

Thanks so much for the explanation and the links.
post #308 of 6496 Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by enron29 View Post

Here's a question I have. Is it bad for an external hard drive to connect it to a media player and play movies directly from it? Will it ruin the hard drive over time? I have a WD 1TB external hard drive.

Why would it ruin the hard-drive anymore than having it connected to a computer? As long as it spins down (and even if it doesn't) I think it would be fine.

post #309 of 6496 Old 07-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
For BluRay TV Shows I use Ripbot264. I grabbed a few episodes of some popular HD TV Shows that get encoded down to 720p to see if I could mimic with my collection (it seems the same profile is used by these "encoders" for all HD Shows) and I am now pretty much spot on. With Ripbot264 I use the 3.1 profile (only change is I change the profile to High and add CABAC), change the resolution to 1280 x 720, set CQ to 22, and in about an hour on my PC I have a great looking 720p mkv (50 minute show comes out to about 1.3-1.4GB)
I found the CABAC option but how do you set the profile to high on the 3.1 profile?
post #310 of 6496 Old 07-06-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeakybirnbaum View Post
I found the CABAC option but how do you set the profile to high on the 3.1 profile?
Check the box "8X8DCT"

Cheers,
Damian

post #311 of 6496 Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
awesome, thanks.
post #312 of 6496 Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
There was some talk earlier in the thread regarding the usefulness of BD Rebuilder. I had it on my pc but never used it until I started backing up my True Blood HBO series. Clown Bd didn't work right (it just gave me the first episode, but not the 2nd), but BD Rebuilder was perfect. It gave me all the necessary menus to choose which episode to play on the disc. I'm pretty new to all this ripping stuff, so maybe you guys have better ways of doing this, but this has been working very well for me.

It's also very easy to compress if one doesn't mind losing some quality for a smaller file. You simply click what disc or file you want to end up with, and the program does the rest. I choose 25gb BD disc most of the time, but one can choose a 4.3 DVd, a dual layer 8.5 gb DVD, or even a 50 gb BD disc.
post #313 of 6496 Old 07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Thanks for that feedback. I'm still in the midst of a long "research" phase. Just picking up any and all relevant info before dipping me feet into the deep waters of ripping, conversion, etc. (procrastinating, really).

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #314 of 6496 Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The initial phases of the project can be overwhelming. But the end result is pretty darn impressive.

post #315 of 6496 Old 07-10-2011, 06:25 PM

I just picked up the LG BH12 BD Writer and I have a few questions.

First off, my PC is old. My x64 Win 7 automatically installs the drivers. The device is working properly according to device status under Properties. I do not expect to watch blu-ray's on this PC as I am building a new rig in the coming months. The purpose of me sticking it to my old comp is solely for testing to see if the drive works and also for ripping blu-rays.

I've installed all the software suite that came with the drive. Using the Cyberlink Blu-ray Advisor it says my computer fails because BD Drive not found. I find this weird because I can see both BD-RE drive and BD-ROM drive (virtual) under My Computer and its drivers are correctly installed.

I can't seem to be able to play my blu-ray's with any media player (WMP, Winamp, VLC, PowerDVD). It says disc is in unsupported format. My graphics card is a X1950 Pro but it supports HDCP, my monitor however does not. I can't think that's stopping all my files from being able to play (if monitor doesnt have HDCP I would just the expect the signal to go out). MPC-HC works for the one i ripped. The audio is not perfectly in sync...and what sucks is I can't tell if that's just a bad ripping job from my new drive or if my computer hardware is just too old to run loseless audio smoothly (CPU is C2D 1.86Ghz, 4GB DDR2 Ram).

My 2nd question: From reading the thread on ripping boxsets it seems like programs that allow encoding is good. What does that actually mean?

TIA
post #316 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

I can't seem to be able to play my blu-ray's with any media player (WMP, Winamp, VLC, PowerDVD). It says disc is in unsupported format.

BluRay disks use UDF 2.5 for the format. First thing to check: put a valid BD disk in your burner and open it up with Windows Explorer. You should be able to see the folders CERTIFICATE and BDMV and you should be able to drill into the BDMV folder structure and see the various files. If you can't, and your PC reports an unsupported disk format, your OS does not have a UDF 2.5 driver -- any player that depends on your OS being able to read the BD disk will fail.

I use Win XP on my PC which does not come with a UDF 2.5 driver. I had to Google for a copy of the Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers and after installing them I can read my BD's. I don't know about Win-7, but would be interested in what you find.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #317 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

BluRay disks use UDF 2.5 for the format. First thing to check: put a valid BD disk in your burner and open it up with Windows Explorer. You should be able to see the folders CERTIFICATE and BDMV and you should be able to drill into the BDMV folder structure and see the various files. If you can't, and your PC reports an unsupported disk format, your OS does not have a UDF 2.5 driver -- any player that depends on your OS being able to read the BD disk will fail.

I use Win XP on my PC which does not come with a UDF 2.5 driver. I had to Google for a copy of the Toshiba UDF 2.5 drivers and after installing them I can read my BD's. I don't know about Win-7, but would be interested in what you find.

I actually just built a new PC yesterday with the LG BH12 BD Writer. W7 discovered and installed the drivers automatically. Just tested right now, no problem recognizing Blu-rays (AnyDVD running in the background)

Cheers,
Damian

post #318 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I actually just built a new PC yesterday with the LG BH12 BD Writer. W7 discovered and installed the drivers automatically. Just tested right now, no problem recognizing Blu-rays (AnyDVD running in the background)

I wonder what the difference is between that drive and the WH12LS30.

Do you know it Win-7 comes with a native UDF 2.5 driver, or is AnyDVD supplying the UDF 2.5 driver.

- kelson h

post #319 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder what the difference is between that drive and the WH12LS30.

Do you know it Win-7 comes with a native UDF 2.5 driver, or is AnyDVD supplying the UDF 2.5 driver.

Actually my bad, I purchased the WH12LS30 as well. I already had AnyDVD installed before I tested a Blu-ray disc so not sure if AnyDVD handled the UDF driver or W7 installed when it first detected the drive

Cheers,
Damian

post #320 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 10:11 AM

i click into the drive and see all the files fine. I do however find it weird WPC-HC was able to play my ripped ISO file but not the BD.

How do I check if my computer has UDF 2.5 driver or not? I don't see that name mentioned under >Device Managers>BD Drive>Properties>Details
post #321 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

I had a strange problem with the LG WH10LS30 burner. Awhile back, my pc would not recognize the burner at all. This was after using it with no problem for 8 months. I tried everything, but it was as though it did not exist at all. I sent it to LG and ordered a new one from amazon. I installed the new one, and it worked flawlessly. I just got the old one back from Lg stating that they checked it, and there was nothing wrong with it all. Do you think I missed something, or did they just do a perfunctory check, and were being lazy?

When I get home tonight, I'll put the old one in my pc and see if it works now. I guess I should have waited before posting this, but I was a little upset
post #322 of 6496 Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

I had a strange problem with the LG WH10LS30 burner. Awhile back, my pc would not recognize the burner at all. This was after using it with no problem for 8 months. I tried everything, but it was as though it did not exist at all. I sent it to LG and ordered a new one from amazon. I installed the new one, and it worked flawlessly.

Well if I'm reading this correctly, you essentially took the non-functional one out of your PC and replaced it with a new one and the new one worked. No changes to software, OS or cables -- right? If that's the case, what other conclusion can one draw besides component gone bad.

As you say, let's see what happens when you do a straight substitution of the returned one for the functional new one.

P.S. did you do any firmware mods to "unlock" the drive?

I've been using my WH10LS30 for several months now to do rips and burns without any issues. I'm expecting it to last at least 3 yr (I'll replace it at about 3 yr no matter what) like my last LG burner did. Let's hope the low price for a BD burner is not indicative of totally crap quality.

- kelson h

post #323 of 6496 Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, I still haven't tried replacing it yet. I have a bunch of discs to burn tonight, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. I'll report the results.
post #324 of 6496 Old 07-23-2011, 11:30 PM

Hi guys. I'm trying to burn my first back-up copy of a BR I own, Body of Lies. I'm using Clown_BD with the trial version of anydvd (I also have dvdfab & encrypter). I've succeeded in making an ISO image of the movie, and was going to burn a disc with imgburn when I notices the ISO is 25.5 GB's. How do I go about reducing the size to under 25 GB's? Am I using an improper setting in Clown?

Some other questions I have.

1) IF anyone is familiar with DVD Cloner 8, can you tell me how or if it's possible to burn backups of blurays with it. Supposedly it can, but I'm having trouble finding the thrid party add on it requires to do so.

2) In Clown_BD should I select PAL or NTSC?

Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is appreciated as this is my first go at this. Thanks.

If you just bought a Samsung LN-T5271f like me, then read the FAQ. It's very, very helpful.

post #325 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

Hi guys. I'm trying to burn my first back-up copy of a BR I own, Body of Lies. I'm using Clown_BD with the trial version of anydvd (I also have dvdfab & encrypter). I've succeeded in making an ISO image of the movie, and was going to burn a disc with imgburn when I notices the ISO is 25.5 GB's. How do I go about reducing the size to under 25 GB's? Am I using an improper setting in Clown?

Some other questions I have.

1) IF anyone is familiar with DVD Cloner 8, can you tell me how or if it's possible to burn backups of blurays with it. Supposedly it can, but I'm having trouble finding the thrid party add on it requires to do so.

2) In Clown_BD should I select PAL or NTSC?

Thanks in advance. Any and all advice is appreciated as this is my first go at this. Thanks.

Clown_BD is for maintaining a lossless copy of t he movie, not encoding (which is what it sounds like you are looking to do, shrink the movie). Try using BDRebuilder instead

Also, assuming you are getting U.S movies you should be choosing NTSC

Cheers,
Damian

post #326 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:

Clown_BD is for maintaining a lossless copy of t he movie, not encoding (which is what it sounds like you are looking to do, shrink the movie). Try using BDRebuilder instead

Also, assuming you are getting U.S movies you should be choosing NTSC

Thanks for the reply dbone. I guess my next question would be whether I use BD_REbuilder from the start, or use it from the file Clown_BD created on my HDD?

I'm trying to make a BD-R copy of my movies that will be playable in a stand alone Bluray player. Again, thanks.

If you just bought a Samsung LN-T5271f like me, then read the FAQ. It's very, very helpful.

post #327 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think the BD used for movies are dual layer, which is why the files are so big.

post #328 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

Sorry, I still haven't tried replacing it yet. I have a bunch of discs to burn tonight, so I'll probably do it tomorrow. I'll report the results.

Well, the old Lg burner is working just fine. I have since reinstalled windows, so I can't say for sure it my software was causing the problem. It sounds like it was. Anyway all is well that ends well. I've burned about 20 and so far all are perfect, and it didn't cost a dime to fix.

Now I just have to decide whether to get rid of my Netgear 550 and get a Dune. Sounds like I'll have fewer problems.
post #329 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

Thanks for the reply dbone. I guess my next question would be whether I use BD_REbuilder from the start, or use it from the file Clown_BD created on my HDD?

I'm trying to make a BD-R copy of my movies that will be playable in a stand alone Bluray player. Again, thanks.

Either way, doesn't matter. With Clown_BD you will only get the main movie. If you use BDRebuilder you will have the full disc (and possibly more compression to get it to fit on the disc).

I would also recommend trying DVDFab which can burn directly to a disc and will compress if needed to fit

Cheers,
Damian

post #330 of 6496 Old 07-24-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Either way, doesn't matter. With Clown_BD you will only get the main movie. If you use BDRebuilder you will have the full disc (and possibly more compression to get it to fit on the disc).

I would also recommend trying DVDFab which can burn directly to a disc and will compress if needed to fit
I see people post that dvdfab doesn't provide the same quality as the other two programs, is that accurate?

BTW, I'm trying to copy The Eagle via BD Rebuilder and I get this error message about 20 seconds into the process. Any idea why?

"Failed to retrieve audio, aborted"

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page