Forum Jump: 

post #3691 of 6661 Old 07-30-2013, 10:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoops10 View Post

I am having a weird problem when trying to backup The Hobbit 3D. I am using DVDFAB 9.0.1.5 to backup the main movie only. I start DVDFAB with the blu ray already in the drive and select the correct region and it then reads the disc. I then select the Main Movie, choose ISO and then on the next screen choose Copy BLu Ray to 3D. It then makes the iso file and I put in on the server. Now I go to play it and the 3D looks wrong. I don't know how else to explain it but the 3D looks off somehow. I am currently using the Dune TV303D media player. Any idea what could be the problem? I am pretty sure its the way I am ripping it but I'm not sure. I have Smurfs 3D on the server that I play fine in 3D. Thanks.

The Hobbit BR is encoded with the right eye first which is opposite from most 3D Blu-ray releases. On my Mede8er, there is a choice in the onscreen menu to reverse the fields. I don't know if the Dune has that but I would think it should.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 6661 Old 07-31-2013, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

Question about converting encoded lossless tracks to something else.

So, I'm using a Mac and MakeMKV to rip my DVD/BDs. But my prepro doesn't understand the newer codecs so I'd like to convert them to 7.1 LPCM. Is that even possible?

I know 7.1 won't play over S/PDIF, only HDMI. So that's OK. And that also means I'd need multiple audio tracks, which mkv is OK with. (BTW, can I rename the tracks to something sensible?)

This is for playback via a LaCie LaCinema.

Assuming I'm successful, what tool can I use to confirm that the mkv audio tracks are the way I need them to be?
Your pre/pro doesn't decode dts/truehd? I haven't seen one that doesn't in a long time.

Anyway, yes you can encode the lossless to PCM in a WAV container. 7.1 will also play over analog so you aren't limited to hdmi. Yes you can rename it to whatever you want. You can use mediainfo.exe to check your file.
post #3693 of 6661 Old 07-31-2013, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

I know it's off topic, but I just had a couple last minute questions on flexraid if someone would be so kind as to answer.

1) is it compatible with 4tb drives?
2) can it perform real time recovery? That is to say, if I lose a drive can I B) continue working on the files in my array and/or B) can I still access the files that are on the failed drive via the parity drive?
post #3694 of 6661 Old 07-31-2013, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Yes, the Dune can play 3D iso, just not 3D mkv files. And yes I did the Smurfs the same way.
post #3695 of 6661 Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I know it's off topic, but I just had a couple last minute questions on flexraid if someone would be so kind as to answer.

1) is it compatible with 4tb drives?
2) can it perform real time recovery? That is to say, if I lose a drive can I B) continue working on the files in my array and/or B) can I still access the files that are on the failed drive via the parity drive?

Yes it's compatible with 4TB drives. If you lose a drive the other drives are accessible but to my knowledge the lost drive is not available through parity.

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3696 of 6661 Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

Yes it's compatible with 4TB drives. If you lose a drive the other drives are accessible but to my knowledge the lost drive is not available through parity.

Not until its rebuilt, of course. smile.gif

Jeff
post #3697 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Not until its rebuilt, of course. smile.gif

Jeff
Completely turns me off to this technology. That is, until I remind myself it is just for my media and nothing else. Still a wierd concept for me to latch onto though.
post #3698 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Completely turns me off to this technology. That is, until I remind myself it is just for my media and nothing else. Still a wierd concept for me to latch onto though.

Those who can afford extra drives, extra rack/case space, etc, choose a different RAID level. smile.gif

I have all of the physical media, so it's not important to me that my media server do anything more than unRAID/FlexRAID do.

Jeff
post #3699 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree. I tried FlexRAID a couple weeks ago and obtained quite a distaste for it. I'm starting to get more and more customers wanting it though. I recently lost my first customer because we don't offer any software parity based solutions like FlexRAID. So I decided to give it another shot. I have to admit it's growing on me. It take a while to get used to though if you've been a hardware RAID guy for years. For valuable data no thanks. I'll stick with RAID1/10/5/6 and hot spares. For media though... I can't fight it anymore. It's the most logical solution.

post #3700 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Wireless member

One picks the solution that they think is best for their needs, their technical needs. I don't understand where emotion enters the equation, but it definitely has for some. wink.gif

Jeff
post #3701 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I agree. I tried FlexRAID a couple weeks ago and obtained quite a distaste for it.
Can you elaborate. I can see FlexRAID being a very easy solution to setup and maintain? Was it purely the lack of critical data protection real-time?

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #3702 of 6661 Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

Can you elaborate. I can see FlexRAID being a very easy solution to setup and maintain? Was it purely the lack of critical data protection real-time?

Real time protection, speed, rebuilding options, data availability during failure and no hot spares were the things that turned me off the most. The initial parity calculation and rebuild times with FlexRAID are really really slow. The basic write times seemed to have improved a bit with the last couple releases. These are things that aren't really that important for hosting just media or even maybe backups of critical data. Depending on the source data protection. After really giving FlexRAID a fair shot for a couple weeks, I have to say it does seem mature and robust enough for me to be comfortable deploying it in builds to customers. I have it running on my own primary media server now and I'll probably leave it in place. I still prefer hardware RAID and I don't think I ever came to or expressed a conclusion that FlexRAID wasn't a viable option. The basic write times are what forced me to stop using it at first though. I wasn't even getting 80MB/s. Now with the latest release I'm at least seeing speeds north of 100MB/s.

post #3703 of 6661 Old 08-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not shooting flexraid down. I actually think it's a great piece of software, just not for my application since I use my array for more than just movies and it would suck to. It have access to data due to a hdd failure.

If I were only hosting movies, the. I could see myself using flexraid or snapraid. It's good news to hear that write speeds are that fast in flexraid now. Can I ask, do you know what write speeds are like when using two parity discs in real time protection mode?
post #3704 of 6661 Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:

I actually think it's a great piece of software, just not for my application since I use my array for more than just movies and it would suck to. It have access to data due to a hdd failure.

If I were only hosting movies, the. I could see myself using flexraid or snapraid
Don't insist on a single array type doing it all. As I believe I mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with a 2-array solution. I'm going to hazard a guess that the storage requirements of the non-media data are far less and could easily be handled by a hardware RAID enclosure with a couple 3 or 4TB disks. I'm considering such a route now. My media PC currently has 14TB of storage for video that I'm going to put under FlexRAID. I have a separate 2-bay hardware RAID 1 enclosure that I'm going to populate with a couple 2TB drives and attach via USB 3. It will be outside and separate from the FlexRAID array and will be used to backup the non-media data on the rest of my PC's. If I had larger non-video, critical data storage requirements that demanded the continuous data accessibility and real-time protection that hardware RAID gives I would use a 4-bay RAID 5 enclosure instead.

My point being to use multiple array types on the same server to fit the nature of the data being stored -- hardware RAID for the limited storage required by critical data and the huge capacity of software RAID for video storage and serving.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3705 of 6661 Old 08-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Don't insist on a single array type doing it all. As I believe I mentioned before, there is nothing wrong with a 2-array solution. I'm going to hazard a guess that the storage requirements of the non-media data are far less and could easily be handled by a hardware RAID enclosure with a couple 3 or 4TB disks. I'm considering such a route now. My media PC currently has 14TB of storage for video that I'm going to put under FlexRAID. I have a separate 2-bay hardware RAID 1 enclosure that I'm going to populate with a couple 2TB drives and attach via USB 3. It will be outside and separate from the FlexRAID array and will be used to backup the non-media data on the rest of my PC's. If I had larger non-video, critical data storage requirements that demanded the continuous data accessibility and real-time protection that hardware RAID gives I would use a 4-bay RAID 5 enclosure instead.

My point being to use multiple array types on the same server to fit the nature of the data being stored -- hardware RAID for the limited storage required by critical data and the huge capacity of software RAID for video storage and serving.
Yea that's what I'm going to do. I'll keep my existing hardware raid and move my non-critical movies to the flexraid array. Thanks kelson.
post #3706 of 6661 Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ - Remember, RAID is not a substitution for backup. Even with hardware RAID protecting your critical data, you should still back it up to either an off system drive or a cloud service.

post #3707 of 6661 Old 08-04-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^ - Remember, RAID is not a substitution for backup. Even with hardware RAID protecting your critical data, you should still back it up to either an off system drive or a cloud service.
True. Read my post more carefully.
Quote:
I have a separate 2-bay hardware RAID 1 enclosure that I'm going to populate with a couple 2TB drives and attach via USB 3. It will be outside and separate from the FlexRAID array and will be used to backup the non-media data on the rest of my PC's.
The primary critical data is stored on the HDD of my desktop PC's. The RAID unit attached to the server is the backup of the primary data.
As to FlexRAID protecting the drive pool for the video files -- the original DVD's and BluRays, sitting in their cases, are the backups.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3708 of 6661 Old 08-04-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

My post was mostly directed at DotJun, but good to see you're backing up data. I have a similar situation with my critical data from my main PCs backed up to a server. However, after a basement flooding a few years back, where both my main desktop PC and WHS server were waterlogged, I now have my data in triplicate! Main PC with critical files backed up to my server, and my server backed up to the cloud. I use a mixture of Dropbox, Picasa, and a private cloud system.

My media files are mixed - music gets backed up to Google Music and an offline USB drive once a year, while my movies and TV shows don't have any backup except for the physical media.

post #3709 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm trying to decide on an external BD drive based on the read speed of each unit, but can someone clarify what kind of media the typical movie is stored on? For instance, the spec page for an ASUS unit I've been eyeing shows this for its read speeds:

BD-R : 8X
BD-R(LTH) : 6X
BD-RE : 8X
BD-ROM : 8X
BD-R(DL) : 8X
BD-RE(DL) : 6X
BD-ROM(DL) : 8X

Are BD-ROM / BD-ROM (DL) the relevant ones?
post #3710 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

can someone clarify what kind of media the typical movie is stored on?

Yes, for commercial pressed disks.

- kelson h

post #3711 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Quote:

can someone clarify what kind of media the typical movie is stored on?

Yes, for commercial pressed disks.

But that's not the whole story. Some drives will indeed read BD-ROM / BD-ROM (DL) at 8X (max) for data BUT only around 2X for movies. This is called RipLock. They claim it's to make the drive quieter when watching a movie. wink.gif
post #3712 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

But that's not the whole story. Some drives will indeed read BD-ROM / BD-ROM (DL) at 8X (max) for data BUT only around 2X for movies. This is called RipLock. They claim it's to make the drive quieter when watching a movie. wink.gif
Some drives have riplock, and some drives don't. Most times speed ratings are disingenuous because they often represent the max read speed when the laser is out at the edge of the disk. I've often seen rip speed peak half way through the rip then decline after it goes through the layer break and makes its way back to the hub.

- kelson h

post #3713 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I ended up ordering the LG BE14NU40. Some posts I found on Google suggest it doesn't have rip-lock. We'll see...
post #3714 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I ended up ordering the LG BE14NU40. Some posts I found on Google suggest it doesn't have rip-lock. We'll see...

I have an LG GGW-H20L refurbed I bought on Amaz recently after learning about RipLock. My current LiteOn BD-ROM and Sony BD-RE are listed as not compatible with the hacked firmware, but this LG got some good comments. Guess I'll find out when I get to pop it in.

Jeff
post #3715 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By it's size it looks like a full size drive in an external enclosure. So it should be a solid performer. If you have time post your results: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473302/blu-ray-drive-rip-performance

post #3716 of 6661 Old 08-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm very well aware of that smile.gif I have both an offsite drive and bluray backups for my critical data. I was saying I wanted my critical stuff on hardware raid so I can still access my data even when my array is degraded. I was not saying I implement raid 6 as a backup solution.
post #3717 of 6661 Old 08-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Wireless member

Alrighty, I have the LG installed and the MediaCodeSpeedEdit/RipLock page open. All instructions start with "Download the firmware you want to modify." ... I suppose that refers to the firmware for my BD drive?

Jeff
post #3718 of 6661 Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there anyone using MakeMKV who can give me some advice on forced subtitles?

Every BD I've tried gives me a whole bunch of English subtitle streams, so I'm never sure which one to pick. They all seem identical.
post #3719 of 6661 Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 601
Quote:

Every BD I've tried gives me a whole bunch of English subtitle streams, so I'm never sure which one to pick. They all seem identical.

This is what I do, I open the movie up with VLC, and test each subtitle track until I find the correct one. Thereafter, I use MKVMerge, and flag the correct subtitle track.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

post #3720 of 6661 Old 08-11-2013, 05:02 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I am at the point right now where I am researching subtitles and ClownBD, and I have found this guide which seems to be exactly what you are asking.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03/31/mkv-mania-clown_bd-mkvmerge/

Jeff
Mathelo likes this.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page