post #3781 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Same here, I prefer to keep the chapters. I am happy with my Clown_BD + mkvmerge process as it has always given me reliable results and control over.

Me too. That's what I use as well. The other thin I like about MKVMerge is that I can do multiple movies. I just did 7 movies from folder structure to MKV with chapters over night cool.gif
dbone1026 likes this.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I'm still a bit lost on what Clown_BD provides you that eac3to on it's own doesn't...

Running Windows Home Server 2011 Evil Abandoned Edition
post #3783 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by itznfb View Post

I'm still a bit lost on what Clown_BD provides you that eac3to on it's own doesn't...

A simple to use UI (I also use to create a secondary AC3 track). It is all the same at the end of the day

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3784 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

A simple to use UI (I also use to create a secondary AC3 track). It is all the same at the end of the day

I must be doing something wrong in Clown but for me it takes significantly longer than eac3to. To demux a movie it takes about 5 minutes with eac3to and it takes close to 20 with Clown.
I also think the Clown UI is too cumbersome and confusing. I think the eac3to command line is much more straight forward and easier to create a secondary ac3 track.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for using Clown I just personally can't get the hang of that tool for some reason. Took me an hour or so to figure out all the eac3to commands I would need and it's become my go to app for demuxing. Does everything I need and does it very fast.

post #3785 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Chapters. I like to keep chapters if possible.
Does tsmuxer not keep chapter info when pointed to the mpls?
post #3786 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 10:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Does tsmuxer not keep chapter info when pointed to the mpls?

No chapters in M2TS files. These are kept in other files in the Blu-ray structure.

DVDs are similar; no chapters in the VOB files themselves.

-Bill
post #3787 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Chapters. I like to keep chapters if possible.
That's great as long as your player supports chapters in MKV's. Unfortunately, mine don't.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3788 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 04:46 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 161
130 min Jack Reacher BD ripping on a stock LG GGW-H20L (movie, lossless audio, Eng subs) was 37 mins for the eac3to 3rd step and 30 mins on the same drive after flashing it with a MSCE/RipLock hacked firmware. I posted on the BD Drive Rip Performance thread. Am ripping Hunger Games now for another comparison. Will also post those results on the Rip Performance thread. Should be soon; it's at 79% now ...

Jeff
post #3789 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Wireless member

For those of you who rip multiple BDs simultaneously, do you find/think that there is a point at which the bus gets saturated and/or the receiving drive's performance falls off from all the head thrashing? Anyone using SSD for the drive that you rip to? And a second SSD for the drive to which you remux?

Jeff
post #3790 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

For those of you who rip multiple BDs simultaneously, do you find/think that there is a point at which the bus gets saturated and/or the receiving drive's performance falls off from all the head thrashing? Anyone using SSD for the drive that you rip to? And a second SSD for the drive to which you remux?

Jeff

I use 4 Blu-ray drives connected to the onboard Intel controller which write to 4 240GB SSDs in RAID0 on a LSI 9211-4i. So no issues there smile.gif Whether I'm remuxing or encoding I read and write to the same SSD array. I would still just write to the same disk even if I was using a single SSD. Even the Velociraptor has issues handling multiple rips at once. If I was stuck on a HDD for some reason I'd avoid ripping multiple at the same time.

post #3791 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
If I convert a subttle from one format to another do I run the risk of them getting out of sync with the movie? The Lacinema I have doesn't support the BluRay format subtitles (pg something) so I would need to convert to .srt or .sub. On the other hand, the Lacinema does have a subtitle "lip sync" feature to compensate.
post #3792 of 6711 Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I use 4 Blu-ray drives connected to the onboard Intel controller which write to 4 240GB SSDs in RAID0 on a LSI 9211-4i. So no issues there smile.gif Whether I'm remuxing or encoding I read and write to the same SSD array. I would still just write to the same disk even if I was using a single SSD. Even the Velociraptor has issues handling multiple rips at once. If I was stuck on a HDD for some reason I'd avoid ripping multiple at the same time.

Geez, nearly a TB of flash. eek.gif

At what point do you offload BD rips to a media server to free up more space on the SSD? Overnight?

I'm out of onboard SATA ports. C: is a 120GB SSD for OS and large and frequently programs, D: a Velociraptor for other programs, both imaged onto E: a third Velociraptor, and then two BD and one DVD. (A Highpoint adapter on a PCI-E 4x is used for 2 x 4 drive RAID arrays.) I suppose I could move D: and E: to another add-in card and and pop a pair of SSDs onto the vacated ports.

Jeff
post #3793 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I must be doing something wrong in Clown but for me it takes significantly longer than eac3to. To demux a movie it takes about 5 minutes with eac3to and it takes close to 20 with Clown.
I also think the Clown UI is too cumbersome and confusing. I think the eac3to command line is much more straight forward and easier to create a secondary ac3 track.

I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong for using Clown I just personally can't get the hang of that tool for some reason. Took me an hour or so to figure out all the eac3to commands I would need and it's become my go to app for demuxing. Does everything I need and does it very fast.

No worries, Clown is just another option as some (such as myself) have no desire to really learn command line. I have never done a comparison of Clown_BD vs going straight to eac3to, but other tools I have used that rely on eac3to give me about the same time to demux

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #3794 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post

If I convert a subttle from one format to another do I run the risk of them getting out of sync with the movie? The Lacinema I have doesn't support the BluRay format subtitles (pg something) so I would need to convert to .srt or .sub. On the other hand, the Lacinema does have a subtitle "lip sync" feature to compensate.
The only problem I see is every now and then the time stamp gets messed up on some lines when going sup to srt. Pretty easy to fix though for those that don't burn forced subs like I do.
post #3795 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At what point do you offload BD rips to a media server to free up more space on the SSD? Overnight?

I'm out of onboard SATA ports. C: is a 120GB SSD for OS and large and frequently programs, D: a Velociraptor for other programs, both imaged onto E: a third Velociraptor, and then two BD and one DVD. (A Highpoint adapter on a PCI-E 4x is used for 2 x 4 drive RAID arrays.) I suppose I could move D: and E: to another add-in card and and pop a pair of SSDs onto the vacated ports.

Jeff
I've not seen much difference with ssd vs raptors on 3+ raid 0. The only real advantage my ssd's have is on random r/w which ripping and transferring isn't.
post #3796 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

The only problem I see is every now and then the time stamp gets messed up on some lines when going sup to srt. Pretty easy to fix though for those that don't burn forced subs like I do.

How do you "burn forced subs"?
post #3797 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff

I'll throw 4 discs in whenever I'm around my PC; eac3to, mergemkv and handrake (when needed) run overnight.

post #3798 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post

How do you "burn forced subs"?

You have to encode with something like Handbrake.

post #3799 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

You have to encode with something like Handbrake.

Question - I have two SATA II ports on the onboard Intel controller that I could configure to RAID 0. I am looking at 2 x 250GB SSD. Would they be better configured to RAID 0, or left as individual drives? I would rip to one and then remux to the other. Or remux to/from itself if RAIDed.

I was looking at replacing my Asus P6T with another X58 Asus board with a Marvell 9128 controller (6GB/s, RAID 0), but read comments that the RAID performance would be poor as the 9128 sits on a PCIe 1x bus. The recommendation was that there is better RAID performance on the 3GB/s Intel controller. .. if I even need RAID 0 SSD ...

Thanks!

Jeff
post #3800 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'll throw 4 discs in whenever I'm around my PC; eac3to, mergemkv and handrake (when needed) run overnight.

Are you ripping the entire disc to SSD and extracting/processing/remuxing later? Or only ripping movie/lossless/forced subs from the optical?

Jeff
post #3801 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Question - I have two SATA II ports on the onboard Intel controller that I could configure to RAID 0. I am looking at 2 x 250GB SSD. Would they be better configured to RAID 0, or left as individual drives? I would rip to one and then remux to the other. Or remux to/from itself if RAIDed.

I was looking at replacing my Asus P6T with another X58 Asus board with a Marvell 9128 controller (6GB/s, RAID 0), but read comments that the RAID performance would be poor as the 9128 sits on a PCIe 1x bus. The recommendation was that there is better RAID performance on the 3GB/s Intel controller. .. if I even need RAID 0 SSD ...

Thanks!

Jeff

What are you plans for the SSDs? Just for ripping? I didn't set up my 4x SSD array just for ripping. I use it for everything temp basically. I do a lot of photography and all of my editing and processing takes place on those drives. Same with video and audio. I'll also copy game files over to that array if I feel like getting back into a game for a few days. I guess my point is I wouldn't spend a bunch of money upgrading things for just a ripping process. The longest part is the actual rip from disc which apart from getting the fastest BD-ROM read speed drive available there really isn't anything you can do to speed that process up.
Quote:

Are you ripping the entire disc to SSD and extracting/processing/remuxing later? Or only ripping movie/lossless/forced subs from the optical?

Jeff

I rip folder structure with AnyDVD HD and then process everything later. This is where I get a bit of time savings with the SSD array since I demux and mux back together before I do any further processing. muxing is almost purely IO so the SSDs shine there but it's still not a big enough time savings to really invest money into.

post #3802 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am looking again at drives for a media server and am really getting bummed out at all of the DOA and soon-failing Western Digital drives. I've been looking at Greens and just a while ago started looking at Reds. Really horrible. Is anybody else experiencing this??

Jeff

This probably belongs in one of the other threads but are you saying you're getting drives that are DOA or that there are a lot of reviews of DOA drives? I order tons of drives for customers and I haven't come across a single DOA in the last year or so. That includes Reds, Greens, Seagate 7200.14 and the few Seagate NAS I've dealt with.

post #3803 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

What are you plans for the SSDs? Just for ripping? I didn't set up my 4x SSD array just for ripping. I use it for everything temp basically. I do a lot of photography and all of my editing and processing takes place on those drives. Same with video and audio. I'll also copy game files over to that array if I feel like getting back into a game for a few days. I guess my point is I wouldn't spend a bunch of money upgrading things for just a ripping process. The longest part is the actual rip from disc which apart from getting the fastest BD-ROM read speed drive available there really isn't anything you can do to speed that process up.
I rip folder structure with AnyDVD HD and then process everything later. This is where I get a bit of time savings with the SSD array since I demux and mux back together before I do any further processing. muxing is almost purely IO so the SSDs shine there but it's still not a big enough time savings to really invest money into.

Yes, primarily ripping, extracting and remuxing. Though I do use Photoshop a lot, I am typically not doing I/O intensive processes. Every now and then I will work with Premiere Pro and geez that is hit-the-button-and-pour-a-margarita when it comes time to output the work product. I suppose I could configure it to used the SSDs. But mainly for ripping. I just like the idea of ripping multiple BDs simultaneously and then processing multiple movies simultaneously. Right now, with spinning rust, it is one movie at a time. It's with multiple hard drives, one of which is a Velociraptor and the other a striped array, but it is still one at a time.

Jeff
post #3804 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Where is your bottleneck? The rip, demux/mux and/or encoding (if you do any)?

post #3805 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Where is your bottleneck? The rip, demux/mux and/or encoding (if you do any)?

No bottlenecks now. Ripping is optical drive read-limited (25 mins - 40 mins) while TSMuxer is only a 5 min - 8 min operation. But I am gearing up to rip and process multiple movies simultaneously, and I just don't think hard drives, even bouncing it around multiple drives, will work so well.

Jeff
post #3806 of 6711 Old 08-15-2013, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

I'd suggest just setting up batches to run over night. SSDs can definitely speed up the process but I don't think you're going to benefit from SSDs in any significant manner. If you have some money to blow and just want a SSD or two to use in the process then go for it. If it's hard earned money that you're saving up then I think it could spent more wisely.

post #3807 of 6711 Old 08-16-2013, 05:28 AM

Liked: 10
That seems like it takes 1.5 hours, but I haven't had the time to check the time. bSWme9
post #3808 of 6711 Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'd suggest just setting up batches to run over night. SSDs can definitely speed up the process but I don't think you're going to benefit from SSDs in any significant manner. If you have some money to blow and just want a SSD or two to use in the process then go for it. If it's hard earned money that you're saving up then I think it could spent more wisely.

Gotta help keep the economy improving! wink.gif

Jeff
post #3809 of 6711 Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

So, I'm still trying to figure out this extracting forced subtitles from the main subtitle track.... I'm using Avatar to test with. eac3to demux creates a .sup file with all the subtitles and names it 00002 - 9 - Subtitle (PGS), English, 1952 normal captions, 83 forced captions.sup
If I open that in SupRip and select forced only and save, it saves subs that show up as Line 165 instead of the actual words.
If I use Clown_BD, it freezes when it tries to create the subtitle file and just hangs there forever.
So far the only way I've been able to handle these types of subtitles correctly is to use MakeMKV and just let it handle them (however it does it) or burn them in with Handbrake.

post #3810 of 6711 Old 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why not use BDSup2Sub to extract the forced subs only and create a new PGS?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page