Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks. The videohelp website did the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Can you try using AnyDVD + Clown_BD and rip to Blu-ray folder (main movie only) and see if it works. Also, try using MakeMKV to rip the full disc and see if that works.

This will help you isolate what the problem may be.

There are 2 very similiar Pioneer BD burners on the Amazon website. The traditional BDR-206 for $113.88 and a 206-DBK for $99. They seem identical, and neither is sold by Amazon, but the first one has Prime which means I won't pay for 2 day shipping. They seem identical.

Reading the remarks, the 2nd one is the typical no software or normal packaging. I don't really care about that, so I'll probably buy it. After clicking thru the buying process, it turns out it is sold by TigerDirect. I ordered it, and it should arrive next week.

I couldn't wait, so I went to my local Fryes and picked up a LiteOn burner for about $140. I give them plenty of business so I don't feel guilty about returning it when the other one arrives.

When I got home I remembered something. I opended my PC case and disconnected the LG burner and reconnected it. It works just fine now

I also hooked up the LiteOn burner. Not easy since i'm running out of sata connections. Anyway I now have 2 working burners and a 3rd on the way. I think I may keep the Pioneer and return the LiteOn. It's always good to have 2 burners because some discs work better with different equipment.

Sorry for the long ramble. not even a real question except wondering about opinions on the BDK-206 vs 206-BDR, but any comments are always appreciated.
post #363 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

but seeing dbone mention trying makemkv got me to thinking.

I've been burning to iso since I started this hobby, and am pretty happy. I have the Netgear 550 which gets a bad rap, but works very well for me. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Dune as dbone suggests.

Just wondering if there are any advantages i'm missing by not using MKV? I gather the format will be around as long as necessary?

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is that I like to make copies of specal movies for friends and relatives, and their equipement may not work with MKV.
post #364 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post

I've been burning to iso since I started this hobby, and am pretty happy. I have the Netgear 550 which gets a bad rap, but works very well for me. If I had to do it over again, I would get the Dune as dbone suggests.

Just wondering if there are any advantages i'm missing by not using MKV? I gather the format will be around as long as necessary?

I guess the main thing I'm worried about is that I like to make copies of specal movies for friends and relatives, and their equipement may not work with MKV.

None that I can think of. MKVs may play nicer if you are using transcoding software to stream to a mobile device. I was a big mkv guy but have just found Blu-ray folder rips (or ISO) has been more reliable and consistent among the various players I use or test.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #365 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:

The forced subs option in Clown_BD simply automatically checks all subtitles to process based on your selected Language (instead of you having to check individually). It actually has nothing to do with "forced" subtitles.

Hmmm, I'll have to check that out on my next BD rip.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #366 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

I see people post that dvdfab doesn't provide the same quality as the other two programs, is that accurate?

Maybe if you're using the compression. If you're just ripping, the quality is the same as whatever is on the disc, regardless of which flavor software you use to extract it.
Why compress? Build an unRaid server and don't worry about the space

I'll stop ripping my BDs when I can put them in and watch the movie without trailers, warnings, cutesy menus...
post #367 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Av8tr,

Funny you should bring this up, as I just started considering mkv instead of my bd iso rips. I recognize you from the NTV550 thread, as well as others. I was an early adopter of the 550, and returned it. I got a Boxee Box instead, and in addition to finding the user interface much more "fun" and family friendly, I also realized that I maybe don't want the full disc menu function of the 550. I was sure I wanted full menus for BD backups, but once I didn't have them I found it so nice to just quickly start a movie (rather than sit through all the junk). I was soundly in the other camp (untouched backup experience) until I got so sick of waiting for kids movies to finally load and get to the actual movie.

Anyway, this led me to start thinking that maybe I should just convert my ISO files to MKV. They size savings are quite a lot (just tried one file, but the Bourne Identity went from ~43GB to ~31GB with mkv with HD audio, Dolby Digital, and 1 subtitle track.

Then, I tried to play back this file on my Boxee Box and was having trouble with the HD audio (no sound). I was worried, but then tried the ISO and got the same issue. So, I was feeling pretty confident about mkv conversion, but still uncertain if it is worth it. I realize mkvs can be read by more players. That is certainly nice. However, I am a bit unsure if there are any unforeseen consequences from the way mkvs handle subtitles (I don't think so, but not sure....is this an issue?). I want to be able to bring them up via the subtitle button as normal, and not have them burned it. It works fine on my boxes box like that...so i suppose it isn't an issue. Also, MKVs remove the legacy core from HD audio, and put them as 2 separate audio channels, but i'm not sure of the ramifications of that. Again, it doesn't seem like an issue.

So, i guess my question is, what are the potential pitfalls of using MKVs? I remember a problem with "header compression" with MakeMKV several months ago, but I don't know if that was a software issue with MakeMKV or with MKVs.

Thanks!
Brandon
post #368 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skro View Post

Av8tr,

Funny you should bring this up, as I just started considering mkv instead of my bd iso rips. I recognize you from the NTV550 thread, as well as others. I was an early adopter of the 550, and returned it. I got a Boxee Box instead, and in addition to finding the user interface much more "fun" and family friendly, I also realized that I maybe don't want the full disc menu function of the 550. I was sure I wanted full menus for BD backups, but once I didn't have them I found it so nice to just quickly start a movie (rather than sit through all the junk). I was soundly in the other camp (untouched backup experience) until I got so sick of waiting for kids movies to finally load and get to the actual movie.

Anyway, this led me to start thinking that maybe I should just convert my ISO files to MKV. They size savings are quite a lot (just tried one file, but the Bourne Identity went from ~43GB to ~31GB with mkv with HD audio, Dolby Digital, and 1 subtitle track.

Then, I tried to play back this file on my Boxee Box and was having trouble with the HD audio (no sound). I was worried, but then tried the ISO and got the same issue. So, I was feeling pretty confident about mkv conversion, but still uncertain if it is worth it. I realize mkvs can be read by more players. That is certainly nice. However, I am a bit unsure if there are any unforeseen consequences from the way mkvs handle subtitles (I don't think so, but not sure....is this an issue?). I want to be able to bring them up via the subtitle button as normal, and not have them burned it. It works fine on my boxes box like that...so i suppose it isn't an issue. Also, MKVs remove the legacy core from HD audio, and put them as 2 separate audio channels, but i'm not sure of the ramifications of that. Again, it doesn't seem like an issue.

So, i guess my question is, what are the potential pitfalls of using MKVs? I remember a problem with "header compression" with MakeMKV several months ago, but I don't know if that was a software issue with MakeMKV or with MKVs.

Thanks!
Brandon

Keep in mind you can rip to iso/blu ray folder rip just the main movie, same as mkv. The space savings are much less(maybe 1gb), so ripping to iso or br folder rip doesn't necessarily imply you are ripping the full disk. My issue with mkvs is i found inconsistent support among a variety of players (for example forced subtitles)

Cheers,
Damian

post #369 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Keep in mind you can rip to iso/blu ray folder rip just the main movie, same as mkv. The space savings are much less(maybe 1gb), so ripping to iso or br folder rip doesn't necessarily imply you are ripping the full disk. My issue with mkvs is i found inconsistent support among a variety of players (for example forced subtitles)

Which is what I do, so the point of waiting for the main movie to come up isn't much of an issue for me. I've heard of this BD lite which is what I think Skro was referring to, but don't know anything about it.

The only time I don't use rip "only main movie" is when ripping series like "True
Blood", and "The Tudors". I discovered that I had to rip to "Full Backup" or it messed up the disc.
post #370 of 6164 Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 PM

looks like makemkv makes the subtitles bigger,any reason for that?
post #371 of 6164 Old 08-09-2011, 07:18 PM

http://club.myce.com/f91/lg-wh12ls30...iplock-322880/

I only read part of the last 13 pages of this thread so this may be a repeat, but there was some question earlier about whether or not the LG WH12LS30 could have the riplock removed with a firmware alteration. It appears from the above link that it can be done successfully and that it makes a difference.

I don't own one, but was about to purchase one since they are $69.99 right now on newegg.

Anyone see a reason why I shouldn't? The cheapest (new) bluray drive I could find was about $60 anyway.

Thanks for all the info on this thread.
post #372 of 6164 Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezero View Post

I only read part of the last 13 pages of this thread so this may be a repeat, but there was some question earlier about whether or not the LG WH12LS30 could have the riplock removed with a firmware alteration. It appears from the above link that it can be done successfully and that it makes a difference.

I don't own one, but was about to purchase one since they are $69.99 right now on newegg.

Anyone see a reason why I shouldn't? The cheapest (new) bluray drive I could find was about $60 anyway.

Yes, I did it.
post #373 of 6164 Old 08-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great suggestion. i forgot that I could use Clownbd to make a BD folder. That's all I need; then I can us BDRebuilder to to compress a little.

Well, I thought that would work, but I can't start out with an iso with ClownBD can I? I'm still trying some different options, but even with the new LiteOn burner, the Tudors Season 2 disc 1 won't "rip to hard disk" using anydvdhd. I'm sure it's something to do with the disc, but it was very hard to find the Tudors in Blue ray. I had to get it from Amazon.Uk

I only need it so I can make a copy on a 25 gb disc for a good friend. Otherwise, I just stream it from my pc or watch it directly from the disc. Mostly it's just the challlenge

edit; after thinking about it, I realize that of course I can start with an iso with Clownbd, but this particular disc isn't letting me.
post #374 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezero View Post

I have had the WH12LS30 drive for a little over a month. It had been working great until a few days ago my PC would no longer recognize it. Need to sort out if the drive went bad, but man that will suck if it did because I am 5 days past NewEgg's refund period.

Cheers,
Damian

post #375 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 05:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have had the WH12LS30 drive for a little over a month. It had been working great until a few days ago my PC would no longer recognize it. Need to sort out if the drive went bad, but man that will suck if it did because I am 5 days past NewEgg's refund period.

Damian, sometimes you are the bug sometimes you are the windshield!!! LOL!!
post #376 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

Damian, sometimes you are the bug sometimes you are the windshield!!! LOL!!

Haha, very true. Funny enough I just built a new desktop PC (the reason why I ordered the LG drive) to replace my current PC. The old PC was running great, but I just wanted to upgrade. After the new PC was built I took the old PC over to my Dad's so he could have, and sure enough the old PC died!! So I guess lucky on my part. Of course a few days after that my WHS had a major meltdown that took nearly two weeks to get back up and running. I feel like I am a bug stuck in the wipers

Cheers,
Damian

post #377 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

Well, I thought that would work, but I can't start out with an iso with ClownBD can I? I'm still trying some different options, but even with the new LiteOn burner, the Tudors Season 2 disc 1 won't "rip to hard disk" using anydvdhd. I'm sure it's something to do with the disc, but it was very hard to find the Tudors in Blue ray. I had to get it from Amazon.Uk

I only need it so I can make a copy on a 25 gb disc for a good friend. Otherwise, I just stream it from my pc or watch it directly from the disc. Mostly it's just the challenge

edit; after thinking about it, I realize that of course I can start with an ISO with Clownbd, but this particular disc isn't letting me.

You need another brand of BD Rom drive. I use three brands, Samsung, LG, and LiteOn. I will occasionally have a disc that will only play in one brand of BD ROM drive. So first I clean the disc with soap and water and then if it still doesn't work I try it in another brand of drive. And that almost always works for me.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #378 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:

Doesn't it have a one year warranty?
I have an external eSATA/USB LG BD burner that did somethign similar to me last month. I still need to get around to sending it in or taking it to BestBuy. I thought I got an extended warranty on it but if not I thought the warranty wa one year from LG.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #379 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Doesn't it have a one year warranty?
I have an external eSATA/USB LG BD burner that did somethign similar to me last month. I still need to get around to sending it in or taking it to BestBuy. I thought I got an extended warranty on it but if not I thought the warranty wa one year from LG.

Yeah. Dealing with NewEgg would have been the easiest thing, but since that isn't an option I need to follow up with LG. First I have to take the drive out and put it in another PC to confirm it is the drive that went bad.

Cheers,
Damian

post #380 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The good news is that the price on the LG drives has dropped about $50 in two months.
post #381 of 6164 Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah. Dealing with NewEgg would have been the easiest thing, but since that isn't an option I need to follow up with LG. First I have to take the drive out and put it in another PC to confirm it is the drive that went bad.
I"ve had the same exact drive for almost a year, and recently my pc stopped recognizing it. I think if you open the case and pull out the sata cable and put it back in, the pc will find it. I only figured that out after I sent the LG to LG, and they sent it back to me telling me nothing was wrong with it. At first it worked fine, and then the same exact problem. You can imagine how unhappy I was; but that was how I learned to fix it. I'm guessing it will work for you as well.

edit; mine was the 10 not the 12. Shouldn't matter though.
post #382 of 6164 Old 08-11-2011, 01:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I"ve had the same exact drive for almost a year, and recently my pc stopped recognizing it. I think if you open the case and pull out the sata cable and put it back in, the pc will find it. I only figured that out after I sent the LG to LG, and they sent it back to me telling me nothing was wrong with it. At first it worked fine, and then the same exact problem. You can imagine how unhappy I was; but that was how I learned to fix it. I'm guessing it will work for you as well.

edit; mine was the 10 not the 12. Shouldn't matter though.
Yeah, I actually switched out SATA cables without luck. I just need to put it in a different PC to confirm the issue before I follow up with LG

Cheers,
Damian

post #383 of 6164 Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Have a simple need: want to copy complete unaltered blu-ray disc to HD (less encryption/copy protection) in folder structure.
If I understand it correctly both Any DVD HD and DVD Fab Passkey can do it on its own. Wonder which one is better, more robust and more frequently updated to beat the latest encryption/copy protection?

post #384 of 6164 Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

Have a simple need: want to copy complete unaltered blu-ray disc to HD (less encryption/copy protection) in folder structure.
If I understand it correctly both Any DVD HD and DVD Fab Passkey can do it on its own. Wonder which one is better, more robust and more frequently updated to beat the latest encryption/copy protection?

They are both on par, can't go wrong with either (I am an AnyDVD user currently)

Cheers,
Damian

post #385 of 6164 Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeling View Post

I do exactly what you want to do for all my BluRay rips. For what you want, I would not use DVD Fab PassKey. I would (and do) use the DVD Fab BluRay Copy module. You can try it for free for 30 days. After 30 days the free version kicks in and most of the features are disabled, however the full-disk ripper still functions to do a simple full-disk rip to a HDD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #386 of 6164 Old 09-14-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 312
This is probably a stupid question so if I get a stupid answer it's ok. I've been using DVD decrypter to rip DVDs and then CloneDVD to burn them to a disk for years.
I want to do this with blurays except NOT burn to disk since they're still expensive. Since I'm familiar and like how CloneDVD works, can I assume AnydDVD HD works the same way? If so, do I do anything different to then play the ripped movie off of an HD?
Thanks in advance.
post #387 of 6164 Old 09-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Not a stupid question at all. I'm not familiar with clonedvd. I skipped the whole DVD backing up era. I only got into ripping and backing up when I started enjoying Blue Ray. AnyDVDHD works great, and is very simple to quickly rip an iso onto a drive. It will be a very large file though, and if you start ripping lots of discs, it will fill up drives in a hurry. I generally use a free program called BDrebuilder to compress and cut out all the garbage. The only issue you might run into is streaming the iso to your TV. Not many devices can stream BD iso's. I use the netgear550, and it works fine for that, but not much else. You might want to take the time to skim thru this thread and the first Ripping Blue ray thread.
post #388 of 6164 Old 09-16-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

AnyDVD is updated a lot. Since the start of this thread there have been several updates by AnyDvd.
post #389 of 6164 Old 09-17-2011, 06:48 AM

How many of you are using the Blu-Ray copy option on DVDFab? I've been using AnyDVD HD to just make a 1:1 ISO, but I'm running out of space already. I plan on making a server soon, but I just haven't had the money around for it yet. Regardless, I would like to have the Blu-Ray take up as little space as I can without a decrease in quality.

I am using the trial of DVDFab right now but what I have done is mount an ISO of a full movie I have and use DVDFab to just rip out the main movie and the HD audio, but keep it in ISO format. It seems to take 8 to 10 GB away from most movies. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to ripping them though. I assume it's still a perfect copy, but I was just curious if anyone here has had experience with this method or had any problems with movie after using DVDFab on it.
post #390 of 6164 Old 09-17-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohen View Post

How many of you are using the Blu-Ray copy option on DVDFab? I've been using AnyDVD HD to just make a 1:1 ISO, but I'm running out of space already. I plan on making a server soon, but I just haven't had the money around for it yet. Regardless, I would like to have the Blu-Ray take up as little space as I can without a decrease in quality.

I am using the trial of DVDFab right now but what I have done is mount an ISO of a full movie I have and use DVDFab to just rip out the main movie and the HD audio, but keep it in ISO format. It seems to take 8 to 10 GB away from most movies. I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to ripping them though. I assume it's still a perfect copy, but I was just curious if anyone here has had experience with this method or had any problems with movie after using DVDFab on it.

Since you already have AnyDVD just use Clown_BD to rip to main movie (this is what I do for all my Blu-rays). This will save you approx 10-20GB per disc.

See my wiki:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page