post #4231 of 6363 Old 11-06-2013, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Which makes it easy, as he just found out. If you select the track and get no subs, it must be the forced track. This method is way faster than extracing the streams from a huge m2ts.

I guess that's true. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a track with only a handful of subs that wasn't supposed to be forced. Can't think of one.

I use ClownBD and it has to extract all the subs anyway. Once it does that, I look through them with BDSup2Sub for two reasons: (1) move subs into the picture area; (2) identify any forced subs. Once I do that, I edit the meta file (if necessary) and let ClownBD continue on its way, remuxing everything back together.

So, this takes time, for sure, but no more than it would take to view the movie in PowerDVD or the like, which I don't own anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 04:33 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u View Post

Ripping Now You See Me

OK Guys, experimenting *again* with ripping to MKV (with MakeMKV). Now you see me was one of my tests. Has dozens of tracks the are 23-25GB and dozens of each chapter. I assume this is seamless branching, but how the heck do I rip it?

Any other tools that can figure this out?

Regards

Mark

DVDFab is good at finding the right playlist, which collects all the M2TS files into the correct order.

Or you can examine them directly with something like tsmuxer: open the *.mpls files under BDMV/PLAYLIST.

MakeMKV may do the same thing, but open the BDMV/index.bdmv instead.

-Bill
post #4233 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I like this method better than just converting the audio file that Clown_BD creates. I tried it on Monster University and it worked like a charm. Don't forget the title number and I used W64 (64-bit wave ?). Here is the actual command I used to select title 3 audio track 3 (since the disc has 3 playlists and title 3 is the English version). J: is my BD drive.
Code:
eac3to.exe J: 3) 3: audio3_English.W64
You shouldn't need the 3) part? Can you tell me what that argument is doing for you?
post #4234 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

Talk to me like I'm a 4 year old. biggrin.gif I've search for a "how to," "wiki", and I can't find anything tongue.gif
Did you try the GUI app I suggested to you? It's one of the simplest and most straight forward GUI for eac3to I've ever used.
post #4235 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

I guess that's true. I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a track with only a handful of subs that wasn't supposed to be forced. Can't think of one.

I use ClownBD and it has to extract all the subs anyway. Once it does that, I look through them with BDSup2Sub for two reasons: (1) move subs into the picture area; (2) identify any forced subs. Once I do that, I edit the meta file (if necessary) and let ClownBD continue on its way, remuxing everything back together.

So, this takes time, for sure, but no more than it would take to view the movie in PowerDVD or the like, which I don't own anyway.
The log file will tell you which subs have forced inside of a file. I'm assuming there is a log file since eac3to spits one out.
post #4236 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

If you select the track and get no subs, it must be the forced track.

I don't quite understand this. I thought forced subs were always on ( french dialog in an English soundtrack)? (new to this subs stuff)

In MakeMKV it shows 2 English and 2 forced (children of English). powerDVD shows 2 English. I presume one of those is not the forced ones, but the second instance of English (that appears to be empty)
post #4237 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Forced subtitles on Bluray are either stored in a dedicated track, or stored in the normal subtitle stream but with a per-image flag that tells the player it must display that subtitle image.

The second type cannot be detected prior to ripping. So MakeMKV gives the option to create a secondary stream for each available stream - this is the inset option below every subttile stream one with (forced only) beside it.

As it scans the main subtitle stream, if it finds any subtitles marked with a forced flag, it places them in the secondary 'forced only' stream. If it finds none, the stream is thus empty and will be discarded.
post #4238 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

You shouldn't need the 3) part? Can you tell me what that argument is doing for you?

The #) is specifying the stream. Without it eac3to will just demux the largest stream it finds. You can also specify the stream by using the path directly to the mpls.

Quote:

Did you try the GUI app I suggested to you? It's one of the simplest and most straight forward GUI for eac3to I've ever used.

The command line is much easier to use than any of the GUI tools. The GUI tools over-complicate it's usage for just demuxing BD.
post #4239 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I like this method better than just converting the audio file that Clown_BD creates. I tried it on Monster University and it worked like a charm. Don't forget the title number and I used W64 (64-bit wave ?). Here is the actual command I used to select title 3 audio track 3 (since the disc has 3 playlists and title 3 is the English version). J: is my BD drive.
Code:
eac3to.exe J: 3) 3: audio3_English.W64

Sometime a disc (usually Disney) will have 3 playlists (titles according to eac3to) of the movie with each having a slightly different branching to accommodate language translation of texts that are in the movie. So the 3) is to select the title 3 or playlist 1. I don't know how eac3to determines the order of playlists, but I would have to actually examine the actual m2ts branching file (just the one that is different between each playlist) to determine the English version.

I guess if there was only one playlist on the disc or the audio tracks are in the identical order (which is the case for most proplerly authored discs) then you may not need the 3) part. However, it is better to be explicit just to make sure. On some discs, there are fake playlists and different versions of the movie, so I prefer to be explicit so as to not rely on eac3to's automatic selection.

Still Learning
post #4240 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Ripping Now You See Me

OK Guys, experimenting *again* with ripping to MKV (with MakeMKV). Now you see me was one of my tests. Has dozens of tracks the are 23-25GB and dozens of each chapter. I assume this is seamless branching, but how the heck do I rip it?

Any other tools that can figure this out?

Regards

Mark

Since you have the disk you can check the disk for the actual runtime of the movie. Say the runtime is 2hr45 minutes. IME, only one of the many tracks makemkv detects will be close to that - it may be different at the seconds level.

If you have several tracks that match, sometimes the metadata for a track shows what it is. The metadata is displayed on the right hand side in the lower box.

If that doesn't help I usually rip them all, play them with VLC and delete the ones I don't want.
post #4241 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Now you see me has dozens of playlists as an anti-piracy feature. In the 'wrong' ones, some scenes are out of order or repeated.

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6972
post #4242 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Upgraded to three new Corsair Neutron GTX SSDs and am getting 280MB/s transfering large files between them. Extracting DSF from SACD ISOs at 6x - 7x speeds, and converting MCH songs in a DVD-A ISO to FLAC at 20x speeds. In a week or so I will be getting to Blu-rays and am anxious to see how fast I can extract and remux once I have the BD ISO on an SSD.

Jeff
post #4243 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post

The #) is specifying the stream. Without it eac3to will just demux the largest stream it finds. You can also specify the stream by using the path directly to the mpls.
The command line is much easier to use than any of the GUI tools. The GUI tools over-complicate it's usage for just demuxing BD.
This argument #: is what selects the track, not #) ?

Edit* I re-read your post. So #) is used to select .mpls? That's good to know. Thanks!
post #4244 of 6363 Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

You don't need PowerDVD but simply open the original m2ts in VLC and check what stream is what. Since I'm all MKV, I don't need Clown_BD at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

Or you can examine them directly with something like tsmuxer: open the *.mpls files under BDMV/PLAYLIST.
On Windows, BDInfo is the tool of choice.

Quote:

I thought forced subs were always on ( french dialog in an English soundtrack)?
There are several ways to author forced subs not all of which are detecable by current rippers.

Quote:

The log file will tell you which subs have forced inside of a file.
It does not for forced subs that are turned on by navigational commands rather than flagged items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

Forced subtitles on Bluray are either stored in a dedicated track, or stored in the normal subtitle stream but with a per-image flag that tells the player it must display that subtitle image.
Or activated by navigational commands.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4245 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This argument #: is what selects the track, not #) ?

Edit* I re-read your post. So #) is used to select .mpls? That's good to know. Thanks!

Right. n) selects the .mpls and n: selects the track within the mpls. By default eac3to will read through the list of playlists in order of runtime, longest to shortest. If you analyze or demux without specifying which .mpls then it just selects the first one which will be the longest playlist on the disc. So if you're ripping a TV series you'd definitely need to specify which .mpls. Most movies will only have 1 playlist that is the full length of the movie so in those scenarios it wouldn't be needed. Reading through this thread I'm sure everyone is aware of scenarios where the .mpls with the longest runtime isn't the main title you're looking for.
post #4246 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Right. n) selects the .mpls and n: selects the track within the mpls. By default eac3to will read through the list of playlists in order of runtime, longest to shortest. If you analyze or demux without specifying which .mpls then it just selects the first one which will be the longest playlist on the disc. So if you're ripping a TV series you'd definitely need to specify which .mpls. Most movies will only have 1 playlist that is the full length of the movie so in those scenarios it wouldn't be needed. Reading through this thread I'm sure everyone is aware of scenarios where the .mpls with the longest runtime isn't the main title you're looking for.

There are several instances where the longest playlist is not the one you want. I've seen more and more discs w/multiple playlists: some are obvious (the short ones for extras) while others have the exact same time with multiple playlists and others where the playlists are longer then what it says the length of the movie is.

I tried one of these longer ones (I forget off the top of my head which one - I think XMen Origins) but I ended up with the 'cut-scenes' of the director etc popping up to explain the scene.

While not 100% fool proof - I use AnyDVD HDs speed menu to find the correct mpls.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #4247 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

There are several instances where the longest playlist is not the one you want. I've seen more and more discs w/multiple playlists: some are obvious (the short ones for extras) while others have the exact same time with multiple playlists and others where the playlists are longer then what it says the length of the movie is.

I tried one of these longer ones (I forget off the top of my head which one - I think XMen Origins) but I ended up with the 'cut-scenes' of the director etc popping up to explain the scene.

While not 100% fool proof - I use AnyDVD HDs speed menu to find the correct mpls.

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. I see it's been discussed quite a bit so I didn't want to go through it all in my post.

I've had the same thing happen to me. We sat down to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 one night and some guy standing at the entrance of Hogwarts starts talking to me about how awesome the movie is..... fail. biggrin.gif
post #4248 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yeah that's kind of what I meant. I see it's been discussed quite a bit so I didn't want to go through it all in my post.

I've had the same thing happen to me. We sat down to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 one night and some guy standing at the entrance of Hogwarts starts talking to me about how awesome the movie is..... fail. biggrin.gif

Haha. I always first figure out what type of disc it is. For example, if a disc has both the theatrical and extended version on the same disc, the extended will obviously be the longer time stamp. The Disney Blu Rays almost always have 3 playlists for the main movie (French, Spanish, and English) but it is easy to figure out (just find the first m2ts in the playlist that is different from the others and play that specific m2ts file, you will see right away the language)

For others if t here are multiple playlists and it is hard to determine I just run the disc through BDInfo and it shows me the correct playlist

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #4249 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And I HATE when that happens! I didn't get lucky in Expendables 2 - I found out I chose the wrong playlist when 20 minutes in the scene just 'changed' and it didn't make sense and then a few minutes later the scene changed again: the playlist deliberately jumbled that scene so I saw a later scene earlier in the movie.....fail.

post #4250 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Haha. I always first figure out what type of disc it is. For example, if a disc has both the theatrical and extended version on the same disc, the extended will obviously be the longer time stamp. The Disney Blu Rays almost always have 3 playlists for the main movie (French, Spanish, and English) but it is easy to figure out (just find the first m2ts in the playlist that is different from the others and play that specific m2ts file, you will see right away the language)

For others if t here are multiple playlists and it is hard to determine I just run the disc through BDInfo and it shows me the correct playlist

I've used BDInfo several times and several times it was never clear which was the correct playlist.

post #4251 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've used BDInfo several times and several times it was never clear which was the correct playlist.

In the settings you have to set it to something like Main Movie. As long as you have that it will show you the playlist

Cheers,
Damian

post #4252 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In the settings you have to set it to something like Main Movie. As long as you have that it will show you the playlist

Now I'll have to go back and check my settings!!

post #4253 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

I had that question as well. Every time I've used BDInfo it just loads all the playlists in order of runtime longest to shortest. I can't find any options that would modify that output.
post #4254 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had that question as well. Every time I've used BDInfo it just loads all the playlists in order of runtime longest to shortest. I can't find any options that would modify that output.

Under "Mode" make sure you have "Movie only backup" selected

Cheers,
Damian

post #4255 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Are we talking about the same program? confused.gif

post #4256 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Are we talking about the same program? confused.gif

Ah crapper, I meant BRRebuilder, sorry about that

Cheers,
Damian

post #4257 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Ahh that makes sense. I haven't really dug into BDRB yet. I know quite a few people claim they use BDInfo to get the correct playlist though. I haven't figured out a way to do it though.
post #4258 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You don't need PowerDVD but simply open the original m2ts in VLC and check what stream is what. Since I'm all MKV, I don't need Clown_BD at all.
On Windows, BDInfo is the tool of choice.
There are several ways to author forced subs not all of which are detecable by current rippers.
It does not for forced subs that are turned on by navigational commands rather than flagged items.
Or activated by navigational commands.
yes, the eac3to log file does in fact tell you whether a sub file has forced items inside it or not. It will even tell you how many lines of forced subs are inside said file. Game of thrones season 1, episode 2 for example has 1 line of forced inside of sub file 10 of which contains several hundred lines of subs.
pepar likes this.
post #4259 of 6363 Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Gotcha. I've never used eac to rip via mpls before. I only ever use it to rip subs and hd tracks out. Thanks for the info though!
post #4260 of 6363 Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

What are forced subs turned on by navigational commands? I understand there are forced subtitles that are flagged within a normal subtitle track (which is detectable by rippers) and there are separate subtitles tracks which only contains forced subtitles. Do you mean the latter which is usually programmatically activated by the BD disc's logic?

Forced subtitles activated by the BD disc's programming can only be detected if the BD disc's authoring logic is analyzed. To my knowledge, no ripper has this capability and so those who only rips without analyzing all available subtitles of their language of choice is just rolling the dice. This is why I prefer Clown_BD's demuxing of all relevant tracks. I always quickly scan all English subtitle tracks of a movie with more than one English subtitle track to make sure there are no tracks with just forced subtitles, but are not flagged as such.
ScottJ and pepar like this.

Still Learning
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page