Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 148 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4411 of 6503 Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 156
System event manager might shed some additional light on it.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 6503 Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Nope.. plenty of space. I just go back and tell it the same disk / same folder and just do the playlists that it misses. Maybe a disk error. Its writing to a usb 3.0 connected drive in an 8 bay tower so who knows what kind of i/o issues could be there. That must be it.
Ahhhhh. I have had many problems when I try to do rips by writing to drives that were not SATA connected to my PC. I always use the internals. If I try to do Clown_BD to a USB HDD I get random failures. The same goes for ripping to a server with a 1GB network connection and sustained transfer rates of 900Mbps. Stick to your internals or eSATA externals.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4413 of 6503 Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post

I continue to ask myself, "If I can do this, little old non-programmer me, can figure this out why can't the developers of DVDFab?"
Can't figure out what? Both DVDFab and Tsmuxer had to have the proper playlist be identified by you (with BDInfo). And you might as well had done this from inside DVDfab using its preview function. In my tests DVDFab has done a pretty good job of identifying the proper playlist so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post

Is there a more efficient way to rip TV series?
Use DVDfab's ripper module with m2ts passthrough which will rip each ep to a separate m2ts . No need for Clown_BD's pointless demuxing (never had any problems with it on USB drives, though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post

MakeMKV problem solved.
What MakeMKV problem?

Things can only get better
post #4414 of 6503 Old 12-05-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Can't figure out what? Both DVDFab and Tsmuxer had to have the proper playlist be identified by you (with BDInfo). And you might as well had done this from inside DVDfab using its preview function. In my tests DVDFab has done a pretty good job of identifying the proper playlist so far.
Use DVDfab's ripper module with m2ts passthrough which will rip each ep to a separate m2ts . No need for Clown_BD's pointless demuxing (never had any problems with it on USB drives, though).
What MakeMKV problem?

I meant using MakeMKV to do TV Show episodes. That's what I use now. Single file TV episodes. I stopped using ClownBD several months ago. If by some change MakeMKV can't rip the move, then I use ClownBD + MergeMKV.biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4415 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
techflaws....

DVDFab V9 while offering those options, options which work with V8 by the way, do not make MKV's reliably. The V9 MKV's stutter when played back. I end up having to use a different software IF I want to consistently make reliable acceptable mkv's. Software other than DVDFab V9.

I've even done as you noted used DVDFab V9 to archive the bluray to an m2ts output and then used V8.2.2..9 to convert that m2ts to a mkv. V8 made mkv's play fine.

I've made a lot of mkv's over the last few days using several different products/processes. Only DVDFab V9 made MKV's stutter.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4416 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

MakeMKV is looking better and better.....

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #4417 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering about your extra m2ts step. Once you've identified the correct playlist use MakeMKV or DVDfab 8.

post #4418 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

tech....

If you are asking me the only way I got to making an m2ts step was in an attempt to fix the V9 mkv stuttering.

The journey to try at least and figure out what was going on with V9 led me down several paths. One of those paths including trying other software and making one large m2ts file from a source that has multi-branched m2ts files.

V9 mkv stuttering happens even with blurays that are not multibranched. In terms of observing outcomes and testing variables making m2ts files was certainly worthwhile. I've tried several different ways that one can make mkv's with V9. All end up stuttering once made into the mkv. The m2ts file, even with the multi-branches still in place did not stutter. Input that acceptable m2ts into DVDFab V9 and turn that into an mkv, it stutters on playback. Input that acceptable m2ts file made in V9 into V8 of DVDFab and make MKV, no stuttering.

I still have no idea what V9 is doing in the mkv process. Something clearly different between V8, which works, and V9 which doesn't.

It isn't that hard to make an mkv. Something is being done with the source file on the way to the mkv.

I know, rocket scientist......

If it was the source file or my hardware I'd not see success with V8, with txmuserR, MakeMKV, etc. The only thing that is different is which software I use not the platform nor the bluray nor the bluray drive.

V9 mkv stuttering.
V8 no stutter.
TsMuxerR plus MergeMKV no stutter.
MakeMKV no stutter.

I've been hammering the multi-channel LPCM into MKV's too but that is a different issue. Figured as long as I'm learning I might as well tackle the multi-channel LPCM learning curve too.

DVDFab has not been all that friendly nor welcoming of my criticism by the way.

post #4419 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

MakeMKV is looking better and better.....

yeah it is.

So I was originally ripping to m2ts files only because my Oppo 93 player does not play DTS master autio / true HD from an MKV container. But if I am going to move back to HTPC use for my playback that no longer matters.

Does someone mind summarizing the pros / cons of MKV vs m2ts? From a compatibility, ease of use, features standpoint?

I know m2ts doesnt support chapters, not a big deal...

Are either more universally compatible for things like DLNA, working over android / IOS apps, etc?

Seems that actually making the MKV with makeMKV is a much easier process... does it find a flag forced subtitles as well as ClownBD / bdsup2sup does?

Other differences?

post #4420 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

"Does someone mind summarizing the pros / cons of MKV vs m2ts?"

For me it is about playback comparability across all the media playback devices in my little home theater network.

MKV playback is the common link for media player and bluray players that can stream like the Panasonic 500.

I don't care about chapters either. For me all that I want is the main movie and the best audio track available. I don't need subtitles either.

post #4421 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't need subtitles either.

Yeah but we all need the forced subtitles. So the software needs to have a reliable way of getting those out.

post #4422 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I've always understood that the need for subtitles makes everything a bit more complicated. I'm glad I do not need them but I do feel for the folks that do.

Edit: I also don't do forced subtitles. I find them distracting and prefer to get a sense of what is going on by watching the movie. I worked in foreign countries doing medical relief for some time. You learn to understand what is being "said" by all kinds of means other than spoken language.

post #4423 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

You speak Naʼvi and Huttese? smile.gif
pepar likes this.

post #4424 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Or what about Klingon?

post #4425 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

A true renaissance man!

post #4426 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Once I figured out how to understand what my wife was really saying when she asked me, "Does my butt look big in these jeans?" and answer without one of my body parts being sacrificed, movie dialog was a piece of cake.

wink.gif

post #4427 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

A little off topic, but is there any downside to storing all media / Blu ray rips, etc in a true NAS vs usb attached drive bays or direct attached drives? I am strongly considering investing in an 8 bay Synology product but wanted to make sure there isn't a red flag for compatibility or sharing by doing this. I think those things are only going to be enhanced by a true nas, but want to be sure...

post #4428 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I feed my PIVOS AIOS and the bluray players used as media playback devices via NAS drives over my home network. I have no issues doing so.

I would not try such with the typical USB attached to a network setups. Typically we're talking USB 2.0.

The new routers are coming with USB 3.0 ports and are designed to feed the network off the USB 3.0 attached drive. If I had one of those routers I'd probably at least try it and see how it worked.

post #4429 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Ha - just messed around with MakeMKV a little... yeah... about 1000% quicker and easier... has me asking "What's the catch?"

Does it do a decent job of subtitle selection when just selecting "forced" subtitles? Or at least a job on par with ClownBD using BDsup2sup?

I am assuming for movies with known difficult forced subs its an involved process no matter which you choose.... but that "most" movies have their forced subs extracted with no extra intervention?

post #4430 of 6503 Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So far I've seen no indication that Clown_BD is better at identifying forced subs that are stored in a separate track with no item flaggd as forced.

post #4431 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

There's yet one more of a series of "released" versions of DVDFab today. They've taken all the meaning out of the concept of "released"....

Will be trying it momentarily for the mkv ripping.

Will be pleasantly surprised if it works like it is supposed to.

Edit: Nope, Avengers MKV output playback quite jerky. Same disk, same equipment, V8.2.2.9 MKV output playback smooth and enjoyable.

No one paid any attention to this MKV issue for V9. I don't get it.

post #4432 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just finished test with same disk and MakeMKV and yep, play back is fine. Just needed to confirm it for myself.

Same outcome.

V9 made MKV playback jerky and unacceptable.
V8 made MKV playback is fine.
MakeMKV made MKV playback is fine.

post #4433 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Why rip the whole disc to hdd then combine the branch I to a single file using tsmuxer? Why not point tsmuxer to the playlist file on disc instead so you only have one process instead of two?
post #4434 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to deal with the copy protection some how.

TSMuxerR does not make MKV's so I have to use something to do so.

post #4435 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I wrote before: once you've identified the right playlist you can rip it with MakeMKV and be done with it.

post #4436 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I have to deal with the copy protection some how.

TSMuxerR does not make MKV's so I have to use something to do so.
I don't use makemkv so I don't know if it decrypts the disc or not. I let anydvd do that for me so I'm able to load the playlist into tsmuxer and rip what I want.
post #4437 of 6503 Old 12-07-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

I don't use makemkv so I don't know if it decrypts the disc or not. I let anydvd do that for me so I'm able to load the playlist into tsmuxer and rip what I want.

MakeMKV does decrypts.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #4438 of 6503 Old 12-08-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you now have to pay for Makemkv after the trial is over? That's what their website seems to indicate now. I thought it was in perpetual beta.

post #4439 of 6503 Old 12-08-2013, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

As I understand it as long as MakeMKV is the beta version there is a way to avoid paying for it. However if one is using it, should be paying for it.

AnyDVD is probably where I'm headed once my DVDFab licenses expire. However with LPCM mult-channel audio I have been reading TSMuxer has an issue if size of the audio file gets past a certain size.

I don't know as I'm not using it, just reading and learning.

I tired the FLAC setting with MakeMKV and it converts the WAV LPCM track to FLAC. Playback as long as I don't hit FF/REW is fine. Still stalls or lockups with if I attempt to FF/REW.

post #4440 of 6503 Old 12-08-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

...Edit: Nope, Avengers MKV output playback quite jerky. Same disk, same equipment, V8.2.2.9 MKV output playback smooth and enjoyable.

Which playback device(s) are you using? It's possible that the differences between DVDFab V8 and V9 are only affecting certain playback devices (especially as some people can't reproduce your problem). I'm interested because I have the paid version of DVDFab (although I've only used V8 so far), and I was planning to switch to MKVs since Oppo BD players no longer play BD ISOs.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page