Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Download the Clown_BD package which has all the required components included

I mostly use BDRebuilder instead of ClownBD because I like to compress somewhat. I havent' been able to tell the difference between the compressed and uncompressed on my 65" TV. Most of my movies are compressed down to 22GB. Of course one can compress them down to 8.5GB and put them on a DVD, but I'm a little pickier than that.

I generally stream my movies via iso to my HT in the living room, but on vacation, I copy them to my laptop and it took me awhile to find a free solution. I found a player called VSO which does a great job, but with no menus. I really didn't want to spend $50 or more for a player I only use once in awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 6293 Old 11-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Is it possible, when ripping to a media server, to move subtitles to fit within the Scope image, e.g. 2.35:1, when using vertical stretch and an anamorphic lens?

Thanks,
Jeff
post #453 of 6293 Old 11-08-2011, 07:26 PM
sfm

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Is it possible, when ripping to a media server, to move subtitles to fit within the Scope image, e.g. 2.35:1, when using vertical stretch and an anamorphic lens?

Thanks,
Jeff

Yes... I have an anamorphic lens for my pj along with a 2.35 screen and I use ClownBD and the BDSup2Sub program (actually a java jar) used by it to manipulate subtitles can also move subtitles (up or down as necessary) so that they are wholly contained inside a selected aspect ratio (say 2.33). It can also deal with oddball subtitles (such as those with Mesrine: Public Enemy #1 which for some inexplicable reason were generated at the full 1920x1080 resolution) that are fullscreen by allowing one to scale them (I found for Mesrine a Y scaling of .85 was sufficient to bring the titles into the 2.33 area) since they are not allowed to be moved.
post #454 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Wireless member

Thank you, sfm. I found the Doom9 thread by the author.

Jeff
post #455 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Long time DVDFab user here. I just rip the main movie and HD audio to .iso using the DVDFab. I could care less about chapters or extras. No muss, no fuss, 1 application, a couple clicks and it just works.

Running 5x 2TB drives in RAID5 SANS Digital 5 bay eSATA enclosure hooked to my media server.
post #456 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Wireless member

Yes, nice software. But they are on a subscription model and I like free or pay once.

Jeff
post #457 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 71
Quote:

Yes, nice software. But they are on a subscription model and I like free or pay once.

Jeff

DVDFab does have a free version, and I believe you can just pay once (lifetime option)

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #458 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Wireless member

AnyDVD HD or DVDFab's DVD Copy is what is used to transfer Blu-rays to a media server, right? No freeware/shareware does it? And DVDFab's DVD Copy is needed to back up one's DVD-Audio to ISO, right ... nothing else does it?

Jeff
post #459 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The basic DVD or Bluray ripper in DVDFab is free as far as I can see. Its kind of confusing because a screen pops up telling you various things have expired, but I have been using the free version to rip DVDs and Blurays for some time.

Also MakeMKV is free while in beta, which has been for the last few years. You can rip the main feature to a MKV container with whatever audio and subtitle tracks you want. Provided you don't want menus or special features it is a great method.
post #460 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Wireless member

Yes, there is a 30 day trial period per each individual module. And then there is a fee for each of them as well.

Jeff
post #461 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Yes, there is a 30 day trial period per each individual module. And then there is a fee for each of them as well.

Jeff

No, the trial period is for the other modules. As far as I know the basic HD Decrypter function is free and works beyond the 30 day period.
post #462 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

No, the trial period is for the other modules. As far as I know the basic HD Decrypter/Bluray Copy function is free and works beyond the 30 day period.

Correct, the basic HD Decrypter is free

Cheers,
Damian

post #463 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:

No, the trial period is for the other modules. As far as I know the basic HD Decrypter function is free and works beyond the 30 day period.

Quote:

Correct, the basic HD Decrypter is free

Yes, the basic HD Decrypter is free after your 30 day trial expires, but there is a catch. Although you can continue to install and use new releases as they roll out, any new cracks for new copy protections and new BD+ generation are disabled for the non-paying users and won't be enabled for several months.

From the DVD Fab forum dated October 2009:

Quote:

Dear All,

Effective with DVDFab v6.1.2.5, the updates for the free version of the product, DVDFab HD Decrypter, will no longer be linked to updates of the registered version. There are many reasons for this, some of which are explained below.

The effect of this new policy is that some of the features, fixes and updates in the release notes will not apply to the HD Decrypter version of the product immediately. Users attempting to use a feature that has not been updated will receive a message to that effect. This includes updates to copy protection schemes for both DVD and Blu-ray. Specifically, for V6.1.2.5, the protection removal for Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is not included in DVDFab HD Decrypter. For Blu-ray to Blu-ray, only through MKB10 is supported, while MKB11-16 have been added to the registered version.

This new policy was developed in part due to the increased staff workload in maintaining all the versions and defeating the new protections of both Blu-ray and standard DVDs. We also feel that the registered users who support product development financially should have the most timely access to new features. These and other business factors will make it more feasible for us to continue to offer the free version of DVDFab on an ongoing basis.

DVDFab HD Decrypter will continue to receive immediate bug fixes, and new protection removal will be updated generally within 30-60 days of initial release to registered users. Thank you for understanding this new policy and we hope you will continue to use and enjoy DVDFab products.

Best regards,
Fengtao
DVDFab Architect

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #464 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, the basic HD Decrypter is free after your 30 day trial expires, but there is a catch. Although you can continue to install and use new releases as they roll out, any new cracks for new copy protections and new BD+ generation are disabled for the non-paying users and won't be enabled for several months.

I think that's pretty fair to be honest.
post #465 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think that's pretty fair to be honest.

LOL, how can free be unfair. I've been using DVD Fab forever and have always been amazed that they provided a basic version for free.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #466 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 152
The free HD Decrypter has been working for me so far, although I'm sure I'll eventually hit some new releases that it can't handle. But there's a 20% discount on all DVDFab products right now, so I think I'll probably get Blu-ray Copy.
post #467 of 6293 Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I used bluray copy on dvdfab to rip green lantern into an ISO file but don't have anything to play it. What do y'all use?
post #468 of 6293 Old 11-10-2011, 05:23 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post

The free HD Decrypter has been working for me so far, although I'm sure I'll eventually hit some new releases that it can't handle. But there's a 20% discount on all DVDFab products right now, so I think I'll probably get Blu-ray Copy.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to need it, so I might as well buy it now.

Jeff
post #469 of 6293 Old 11-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What do you guys use to merge two mkv files into one? I am ripping Lord of the Ring Ext version and each movies are spread over two disc. What software do I use after ripping it with makemkv. Thanks
post #470 of 6293 Old 11-22-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

What do you guys use to merge two mkv files into one? I am ripping Lord of the Ring Ext version and each movies are spread over two disc. What software do I use after ripping it with makemkv. Thanks

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...omes-personal/

Cheers,
Damian

post #471 of 6293 Old 11-22-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz87 View Post

Use MKVMergeGUI for all your muxing, splitting and joining tasks.

Download the MKVToolnix package to get it.
post #472 of 6293 Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wish there were an easier way to do this, but I haven't found one that keeps the original chapter marks. However, if one is not a purist (and lazy) you can be perfectly satisfied just letting TSMuxer insert chapter marks every 5 min (the button above the custom chapter list button).

- kelson h

post #473 of 6293 Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I am getting this warning on mkvmerge

"Warning: The track number 2 from the file 'D:\\fellowship of the ring pt2.mkv' can probably not be appended correctly to the track number 2 from the file 'F:\\fellowship of the ring pt1.mkv': Please make sure that the resulting file plays correctly the whole time. The author of this program will probably not give support for playback issues with the resulting file."

When I ripped both disc (usin makemkv) I selected only dts-hd on both disc. Did I mess up somewhere? Thanks
post #474 of 6293 Old 11-23-2011, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wish there were an easier way to do this, but I haven't found one that keeps the original chapter marks. However, if one is not a purist (and lazy) you can be perfectly satisfied just letting TSMuxer insert chapter marks every 5 min (the button above the custom chapter list button).

If you used the suggested trim times then this post in the slysoft forum contains the chapter times for all three movies. They are nearly perfect.

X
post #475 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 03:53 AM

To add m2c:
I like to rip BR to ~8000 bitrate encoded video and keep HD audio (HD-DTS preferred) and have subtitles. Hence mkv files are the best way to go for me. I use a $20 program from Pavtube (it was on sale at the time). It's like MakeMKV but it also allows encoding the movie.
The file size is between 8-15 GB per movie. To me PQ is indistinguisable from the original BR disc (having HD sound is a lot more important to me) and these files I can stream wirelessly with no stuttering/hiccups. The one drawback: titles with forged subtitles do not play nice occasionally. In those cases I tend to sacrifice the HD sound and rip to mp4 files with subtitles burned in.
post #476 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 04:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanjumper View Post

To add m2c:
I like to rip BR to ~8000 bitrate encoded video and keep HD audio (HD-DTS preferred) and have subtitles. Hence mkv files are the best way to go for me. I use a $20 program from Pavtube (it was on sale at the time). It's like MakeMKV but it also allows encoding the movie.
The file size is between 8-15 GB per movie. To me PQ is indistinguisable from the original BR disc (having HD sound is a lot more important to me) and these files I can stream wirelessly with no stuttering/hiccups. The one drawback: titles with forged subtitles do not play nice occasionally. In those cases I tend to sacrifice the HD sound and rip to mp4 files with subtitles burned in.

Not sure I follow, with forced subtitles why do you need to go with mp4, you can still burn in subtitles with mkvs and keep the hd audio

Cheers,
Damian

post #477 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 04:26 AM

I'll have to double-check if that Pavtube program allows it. I really like the Pavtube program as it is so simple and it will spit out an mkv with HD sound and near HD PQ. All while generating a "reasonable" file size.

In my personal experience (and I am only slightly well-informed), whenever I have an original English-speaking movie with foreign language scenes, when using English subtitles (for the hard hearing), this is where I lost the foreign language subtitles. I'm sure you're right that you could burn in the foreign language scene, and than have English subtitles for the other scenes, I just haven't discovered a program that will do this (while maintaining HD sound etc) and is still relatively simple to use (like e.g. MakeMKV). If I am not mistaken, Handbrake will do this for regular DVDs but last time I checked it couldn't rip BR...

Update: just looked at handbrake.fr and it seems it can handle BR now. Cool.
HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.
Supported Sources:
Most common multimedia files that libavformat and libavcodec support.
Any DVD or Bluray-like source which is NOT copy-protected. (removal of copy protection is not supported)
post #478 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll have to double-check if that Pavtube program allows it. I really like the Pavtube program as it is so simple and it will spit out an mkv with HD sound and near HD PQ. All while generating a "reasonable" file size.

In my personal experience (and I am only slightly well-informed), whenever I have an original English-speaking movie with foreign language scenes, when using English subtitles (for the hard hearing), this is where I lost the foreign language subtitles. I'm sure you're right that you could burn in the foreign language scene, and than have English subtitles for the other scenes, I just haven't discovered a program that will do this (while maintaining HD sound etc) and is still relatively simple to use (like e.g. MakeMKV). If I am not mistaken, Handbrake will do this for regular DVDs but last time I checked it couldn't rip BR...

handbrake can rip blu rays now, as well as Blu rip and ripbot264

Cheers,
Damian

post #479 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:

handbrake can rip blu rays now, as well as Blu rip and ripbot264

So I looked into it a bit more. Unfortunately, Handbrake still doesn't output HD audio

For those interested, the Pavtube program is called ByteCopy. Works very well for me
post #480 of 6293 Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

So I looked into it a bit more. Unfortunately, Handbrake still doesn't output HD audio

For those interested, the Pavtube program is called ByteCopy. Works very well for me

Hmmm... for some reason I thought HD Audio support was added. I don't encode my Blu rays unless I am trying to make a mobile copy so I never look at the HD Audio option (I believe there is a passthru choice though)

Cheers,
Damian

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page