post #4771 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

This I am really interested in. How did you create the batch file? I'd like to do that. I'm running one at a time, which takes a while.
On the last screen of Clown_BD, where you click "NEXT" to start the process -- next to the "NEXT" button is a check-box for "Batch". Check it then click "NEXT".

This will take you back to the first screen of Clown. A small batch-builder window will pop up behind it showing the batch file construction -- it disappears in less than a minute. Anyway, you are back at screen #1 and you proceed to set up the next title extraction. Make sure to give the demux folder a new name (i.e. demux1, demux2, . . . ) and a new destination folder name for the remuxed output. Then go through the rest of the screens, keep the "Batch" check-box checked and repeat the process until you have queued all the titles you want.

Now the important part is what to do on the last title you are queuing to the batch. When you get to the last screen you need to keep the "Batch" check-box, checked [1]. Click "NEXT" and that will bring you back to the first screen. The small batch-builder window will pop up again and complete the batch file with the info for the last title. At this point you click "EXIT". Another small window will pop up with the name of the batch file and asking if you want to run the batch file now -- click "YES" and walk away [2].

[1] If you did not have the "Batch" check-box checked on the last title and clicked "NEXT", Clown would simply run and process that last title alone and not run the batch file.
[2] The batch files are stored in the root Clown_BD folder. If you click "No" to the run-now window, you can always run the batch file from the Clown_BD folder at a later date. Clown keeps a lot of the batch files so it is good to go in there every now and then and clean them out.
pepar likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

It was me and I can explain the difference a third time if need be:

MakeMKV: Original BD -> MKV
Clown_BD: Original BD -> elementary streams -> m2ts/ISO
I think he is looking for some actual time data comparing the two processes when extracting direct from an optical drive and not just a supposition that one process will be much faster because it has one less elementary step. I certainly don't have that data.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4773 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't see what's stopping anyone interested in such data from trying it out themselves.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #4774 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, absolutely. It's just labeled 00000.m2ts in the BDMV\STREAM folder. As noted above this allows me to batch a bunch of title extractions without over-writing the title with each successive rip.

I just rename the 00000.m2ts file and put it on my server.
I thought tsmuxer has queuing ability? Maybe I'm getting that part mixed up with mkvmerge.
post #4775 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

My. CPU (i7-960) maxes out when I run ClownBD on a BD I have pre-ripped onto one SSD and processing it onto another SSD. I never thought I would find anything that would be CPU -limited with a high end quad core intel.

Jeff
Something sounds wrong there. Ripping from db to disc should take no more than 5-10% of a quad core. Even on an older q6600. That's all it takes when I use anydvd or tsmuxer. The only time you should ever see anything close to full load is if you are encoding video as even audio encoding will only use a small percentage of clock.
post #4776 of 6166 Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbuehi View Post

I'll be playing these via a Seagate HDD to stream to my IPAD and VLC/Windows media player on a windows tablet, laptop, or PC.
I'm not certain that your iPad will play m2ts. Your x86 devices should have no problem.
post #4777 of 6166 Old 01-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Something sounds wrong there. Ripping from db to disc should take no more than 5-10% of a quad core. Even on an older q6600. That's all it takes when I use anydvd or tsmuxer. The only time you should ever see anything close to full load is if you are encoding video as even audio encoding will only use a small percentage of clock.

I am sorry, I was mixing up processing BDs with extracting DSF files from SACD ISO's. You're right on the CPU usage for BDs. redface.gif

Jeff
post #4778 of 6166 Old 01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Quote:

I'll be playing these via a Seagate HDD to stream to my IPAD and VLC/Windows media player on a windows tablet, laptop, or PC.
I'm not certain that your iPad will play m2ts. Your x86 devices should have no problem.

That's why I want to convert them to mp4 format. iPad doesn't actually play the files, the seagate app does.
post #4779 of 6166 Old 01-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's why I want to convert them to mp4 format. iPad doesn't actually play the files, the seagate app does.
I'm sorry I must have gotten your post mixed up with someone else's. I thought you had wanted to rip to file with minimal, as in no compression, process?
post #4780 of 6166 Old 01-09-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it because in spite of the elevated cost of the iPad Apple doesn't want to pay the license fee(s) or is there some technical reason an iPad can't play many of the common formats?
post #4781 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry I must have gotten your post mixed up with someone else's. I thought you had wanted to rip to file with minimal, as in no compression, process?

No, my main focus is to make them portable so I don't have to carry or ship all of my discs whenever I go somewhere.
post #4782 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 02:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it because in spite of the elevated cost of the iPad Apple doesn't want to pay the license fee(s) or is there some technical reason an iPad can't play many of the common formats?

Don't really know. I just know that mp4 is what all my other DVD rips are formatted and it works.
post #4783 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No, my main focus is to make them portable so I don't have to carry or ship all of my discs whenever I go somewhere.
If it's just for small portable devices then just keep it simple and feed your files through handbrake using one of the device profiles. It does help to become familiar with your actual devices limitations though in case you are trying to optimize video and/or audio. DXVA parameter implementations on devices is not universal.
post #4784 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Apple is a closed shop and has their preferred media formats, not all of which are mainstream. Their equipment primarily plays what they can sell on iTunes, as far as media formats go. It's just the way it always has been with Apple.

- kelson h

post #4785 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm just guessing here, but most manufacturers don't like formats that are popular among pirates. Take a look at sony's stand on mp3 for example. Go a little further back and look at the big companies stance on recordable cassette and video tape.
post #4786 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Quote:

If it's just for small portable devices then just keep it simple and feed your files through handbrake using one of the device profiles. It does help to become familiar with your actual devices limitations though in case you are trying to optimize video and/or audio. DXVA parameter implementations on devices is not universal.

I simply want to get a digital copy of my purchased Blu-Ray discs into a mp4 file that I can store on a hard drive. How do I go from a movie on a Blu-Ray disc to having an mp4 copy? MP4 works for me on the devices I need it to. The files have to be fed from the seagate app so I can't use other programs to play the files off the hard drive.
post #4787 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I simply want to get a digital copy of my purchased Blu-Ray discs into a mp4 file that I can store on a hard drive. How do I go from a movie on a Blu-Ray disc to having an mp4 copy? MP4 works for me on the devices I need it to. The files have to be fed from the seagate app so I can't use other programs to play the files off the hard drive.
For free? Really Handbrake is the best option. Paid? Dvdfab is prob one of the best. But you are going to need software to open those protected purchased (owned) discs. That falls to either Anydvd made by Slysoft, or Dvdfab. That's some real mainstream advice from a minimalist approach. I'm sure others can chime in with other programs if you like to tinker.
post #4788 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you want to do it for free and simple....

MakeMKV....Then use Handbrake...

Works perfect
post #4789 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Wrong thread for that. wink.gif

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina
post #4790 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter0911 View Post

If you want to do it for free and simple....

MakeMKV....Then use Handbrake...

Works perfect
YES! forgot about MMKV.
post #4791 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:

Wrong thread for that. wink.gif

Sent from my iPad Mini Retina
Is it? This is a thread about the how and why of ripping. I was asking in earnest if there was a reason that apple owners had to jump through additional hoops to watch their content on ios devices. I mean doesn't someone make an app or a plugin that would allow playback video in MTS or MKV containers? That would certainly be nicer than having to keep multiple copies of stuff. That might sway me toward getting an Apple instead of Android device.
post #4792 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Quote:

For free? Really Handbrake is the best option. Paid? Dvdfab is prob one of the best. But you are going to need software to open those protected purchased (owned) discs. That falls to either Anydvd made by Slysoft, or Dvdfab. That's some real mainstream advice from a minimalist approach. I'm sure others can chime in with other programs if you like to tinker.

I don't mind paying. I just didn't want to waste money buying software that didn't get me to my desired end result. I was looking at dvdfab. So it looks like dvdfab can do everything in one shot. I appreciate everyone's assistance in this matter. I'll give it a shot within the next week or so to see how it works out.
post #4793 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

It's pretty straight forward. You need the ripper module. Dvdfab is broken up by separate modules or mini programs. You can get them all w/ lifetime updates for around $250. Each module is around $80 USD.

select the output format as mp4

then if you want, hit "Advanced" for some fine-tuning:
post #4794 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Is it? This is a thread about the how and why of ripping. I was asking in earnest if there was a reason that apple owners had to jump through additional hoops to watch their content on ios devices. I mean doesn't someone make an app or a plugin that would allow playback video in MTS or MKV containers? That would certainly be nicer than having to keep multiple copies of stuff. That might sway me toward getting an Apple instead of Android device.

Well it was a good-natured reply. (See wink.) But the questions you ask have nothing to do with how you would rip a BD to play on an iOS device, and everything to do with Apple's business model choices. I will wander into this further and say that if you are on the fence between an Apple product and an Android one, and media formats moved you to the latter, you were not going to buy an Apple to begin with. Just my opinion ... and another cheerful post. smile.gif

QuickTime, a free product, will transcode media into iOS-compatible formats, as will a number of other free conversion utilities.

Jeff
post #4795 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Of course it saves time, especially when you wait to do discs in batches. Multiple instances of Imgburn can be run to rip to different HDs without affecting rip time, whereas Clown_BD is one disc at a time. Parallel vs serial computing. Even doing a single disc, the total time is not longer than having Clown_BD pulling directly from the optical drive. Having the ISO is real beneficial when you watch the movie and discovered you need to rip the movie again for some reason. Then it is only a max 15 minute task vs. having to read from optical again.

Let say you have 3 discs to process:

Clown_BD straight from optical:
40+40+40 = 120 minutes for 3 discs.

To HD first using ImgBurn:
30 + 10 + 10 +10 = 60 minutes for 3 discs

The first 30 minutes, Imgburn is ripping to 3 different drives at the same time. Then Clown_BD will process each disc image at 10 minutes each.

Of course the point is mute if you only have one optical drive.

Ok, I gotcha. I didn't realize we were talking about multiple discs. I was just thinking of a single disc. Might still be faster, although you'd have to be around to start the second process.

And, the word is "moot". wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

And ISO shows this how? File size? The same goes for MKV. Of course you could always name the files differently or place them in different folders. Or, like me, rip BDs exclusively wink.gif

Well, the ISO is just an image. So when it's read by the software it looks like the original format. So Zappiti reads it and informs me that it is BD or DVD. And I'd love to go exclusively BD and perhaps someday I will. But for now, there are still a handful of DVDs. (actually I think the future is all digital anyways in which case we wont be having these discussions).

Quote:
It was me and I can explain the difference a third time if need be:

MakeMKV: Original BD -> MKV
Clown_BD: Original BD -> elementary streams -> m2ts/ISO

The extraction of the elementary streams is a step not necessary with MakeMKV so even if I have enough time and space on my HDDs, I just don't see the point of doing it. That's all.

Quote:

I think he is looking for some actual time data comparing the two processes when extracting direct from an optical drive and not just a supposition that one process will be much faster because it has one less elementary step. I certainly don't have that data.

Correct. I understand why it might take less time, but I've yet to see any hard data that proves it is actually takes significantly less time. You'd think somebody who says it takes significantly less time would actually know what that translates to in real world experience.

Quote:

On the last screen of Clown_BD, where you click "NEXT" to start the process -- next to the "NEXT" button is a check-box for "Batch". Check it then click "NEXT".

This will take you back to the first screen of Clown. A small batch-builder window will pop up behind it showing the batch file construction -- it disappears in less than a minute. Anyway, you are back at screen #1 and you proceed to set up the next title extraction. Make sure to give the demux folder a new name (i.e. demux1, demux2, . . . ) and a new destination folder name for the remuxed output. Then go through the rest of the screens, keep the "Batch" check-box checked and repeat the process until you have queued all the titles you want.

Now the important part is what to do on the last title you are queuing to the batch. When you get to the last screen you need to keep the "Batch" check-box, checked [1]. Click "NEXT" and that will bring you back to the first screen. The small batch-builder window will pop up again and complete the batch file with the info for the last title. At this point you click "EXIT". Another small window will pop up with the name of the batch file and asking if you want to run the batch file now -- click "YES" and walk away [2].

I'll probably try this over the weekend. I've been doing them one at a time because I do one while I'm at work or in bed. I'm not sure if a batch will save me any time because I'd still have to rip the movies. The funnel for me is my time in sticking around. With running one at a time I simply wake up, pop in a movies, run Clown, and then head to work. I'm not sure how I'd handle ripping the movies then running a batch in a way that will save any time given my schedule. But I'll see.
post #4796 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll probably try this over the weekend. I've been doing them one at a time because I do one while I'm at work or in bed. I'm not sure if a batch will save me any time because I'd still have to rip the movies. The funnel for me is my time in sticking around. With running one at a time I simply wake up, pop in a movies, run Clown, and then head to work. I'm not sure how I'd handle ripping the movies then running a batch in a way that will save any time given my schedule. But I'll see.
For me it is not a matter of how long it takes, it is a matter of control. When I rip BD's I generally do them in a batch. I have two burners on my PC. I use two instances of DVD Fab and just queue up full disk rips two at a time until I have them all ripped to the HDD. I'm off doing other things so I just feed the disks to the burners every now and then. I do it this way because I have DVD Fab and not a resident decrypter.

So I will have a group of titles to run through Clown_BD. I generally just rip all the subtitles first so I can analyze them and see which one I want and if there are forced subs. When I 'm done with that I can queue up all the titles in one batch file and let it go overnight if need be. Ripping methods are personal. My way suits me and I'm not in a hurry. The main thing I value is that at the end of the process I always get what I want and just send it on to the server -- and it always plays perfectly on the WD Lives.

- kelson h

post #4797 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 03:34 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

And, the word is "moot". wink.gif

biggrin.gif I went to bed that night thinking mute did not sound right, but it never occurred to me that I used the wrong word! I kept on thinking that if a person only had one optical drive, then I would have nothing to say and so I will mute myself.

Still Learning
post #4798 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

It's pretty straight forward. You need the ripper module. Dvdfab is broken up by separate modules or mini programs. You can get them all w/ lifetime updates for around $250. Each module is around $80 USD.

select the output format as mp4

then if you want, hit "Advanced" for some fine-tuning:

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks very much.
post #4799 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

For me it is not a matter of how long it takes, it is a matter of control. When I rip BD's I generally do them in a batch. I have two burners on my PC. I use two instances of DVD Fab and just queue up full disk rips two at a time until I have them all ripped to the HDD. I'm off doing other things so I just feed the disks to the burners every now and then. I do it this way because I have DVD Fab and not a resident decrypter.

So I will have a group of titles to run through Clown_BD. I generally just rip all the subtitles first so I can analyze them and see which one I want and if there are forced subs. When I 'm done with that I can queue up all the titles in one batch file and let it go overnight if need be. Ripping methods are personal. My way suits me and I'm not in a hurry. The main thing I value is that at the end of the process I always get what I want and just send it on to the server -- and it always plays perfectly on the WD Lives.

LOL...some of us only have one optical drive...I actually run a SFF for a main computer. But I'd definitely do it your way if I had the same time and hardware setup you do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

biggrin.gif I went to bed that night thinking mute did not sound right, but it never occurred to me that I used the wrong word! I kept on thinking that if a person only had one optical drive, then I would have nothing to say and so I will mute myself.

LOL. It's a common mistake.
post #4800 of 6166 Old 01-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

Correct. I understand why it might take less time, but I've yet to see any hard data that proves it is actually takes significantly less time. You'd think somebody who says it takes significantly less time would actually know what that translates to in real world experience.
You'd think that anybody who understood the process could make his own calculations easy: it takes half the time since MakeMKV completely skips extracting the elementary streams. And again, I don't see anything stopping you from trying it yourself.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page