post #5491 of 6339 Old 03-12-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

...the Java/McAfee thing irks my sensibilities.

+1 to that.
I get annoyed every time I have to update Java.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 6339 Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Tough break for dvdfab huh? Damn. That was my go-to ripper. Shame. Wonder if its going to go the way of dvdxcopy. Clone cd seemed to have survived a similar fate. I guess there is hope.
post #5493 of 6339 Old 03-12-2014, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Tough break for dvdfab huh? Damn. That was my go-to ripper. Shame. Wonder if its going to go the way of dvdxcopy. Clone cd seemed to have survived a similar fate. I guess there is hope.

It still works and updates are churning out. They only blocked the .com site, dvdfab has changed their domain to accomodate US customers :-) they sent out a great email earlier and they are not concerned at all. I have a lifetime subscription, was worried I couldnt get an update, it auto updated like normal and accesses the software like nothing is going on.

Now if only I had time to back up my bd library that is overflowing my cabinet lol.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #5494 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Don't know why but it seems like of late CLown_BD is not pulling out the forced subs.
Probably because like any other ripper it does not recognize forced subs that aren't flagged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post

Mind you, it was not until my first viewing that I realized there were forced subs and had to go back and add them to the mkv.
Which could be avoided by simply ripping all English tracks. When they default to no they won't even get in the way and you can always cycle through once you realize the movie has foreign subs.

Quote:

(plus, not sure if this has changed, but at least when I had used back in the day MakeMKV did not set the forced subtitle flag
It does now if you set it it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post

Tough break for dvdfab huh?
Yeah, as being discussed in this thread.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #5495 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

Which could be avoided by simply ripping all English tracks. When they default to no they won't even get in the way and you can always cycle through once you realize the movie has foreign subs.
It does now if you set it it to.
this thread.

I do rip all the english subs, but only merge/mux in the forced ones as I am only concerned with forced subs and have no desire to include regular subtitles with my movies. Since this has only happened one time in 100's of rips, I not too worried about it. And plus, I've adjusted my process accordingly so that I will pick up these anomalies should they happen again.
post #5496 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

I agree with this. I rip and inspect all the English subtitles so I can eliminate the obvious ones -- directors' comments, hearing impaired. Unfortunately, before we started having these discussions about unflagged forced subs, I always counted on Clown_BD to separate out and flag the forced subs. Now I find I've gotten burned on a few titles with unflagged forced subs because I discarded that small subtitle file containing a dozen or so subtitles because it wasn't flagged as forced by Clown_BD. There are apparently more of those than one would suspect. Now when I inspect the subs, I just eliminate the obvious ones and keep anything I'm not sure about. They add a minuscule amount to the file size and are simple to cycle through with a single remote button.

Does anyone remember the link to that thread that lists titles with forced subs?
I thought I had bookmarked it, but apparently not.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5497 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I agree with this. I rip and inspect all the English subtitles so I can eliminate the obvious ones -- directors' comments, hearing impaired. Unfortunately, before we started having these discussions about unflagged forced subs, I always counted on Clown_BD to separate out and flag the forced subs. Now I find I've gotten burned on a few titles with unflagged forced subs because I discarded that small subtitle file containing a dozen or so subtitles because it wasn't flagged as forced by Clown_BD. There are apparently more of those than one would suspect. Now when I inspect the subs, I just eliminate the obvious ones and keep anything I'm not sure about. They add a minuscule amount to the file size and are simple to cycle through with a single remote button.

Does anyone remember the link to that thread that lists titles with forced subs?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1176923/movies-with-forced-subtitles

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #5498 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This one?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1176923/movies-with-forced-subtitles
post #5499 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you and thank you.

I have it bookmarked now.

- kelson h

post #5500 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
It seems like every software has adware in the install now. It will not surprise me if windows updates start having adware embedded in them (unless you consider bing to be adware wink.gif ).
post #5501 of 6339 Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

It seems like every software has adware in the install now. It will not surprise me if windows updates start having adware embedded in them (unless you consider bing to be adware wink.gif ).

A lot of freeware does. It is disturbing that some open source has it as well.
post #5502 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 05:36 AM

Wow. That would be great. The source was a 2 hour BluRay DVD. I opened it with the "AnyDVD" and copied it with Handbrake to an MP4 container (picture width 1920) COdec H.264(x264), whatever that means,. FPS same as source, Audio bit rate 160.

It produced an MP4 file that is 3.96 GB in size. It took about nine hours. That seems a bit long to me. Any advice?

The computer is a new Windows 8 computers (Home 64bit); AMD E1-1500 1.48GHz processor. The internal DVD player isn't BluRay so I bought an external Samsung SE-506 DVD player/burner. It says it connects with USB 2.0/3.0.

Is it normal to take that long for that file size or have I made some poor choices on the set up? Is the external USB connection a choke point? Or is Handbrake a slow DVD copy package?

The idea is to move the files to my NAS, play them with the PS3 (hence the MP4 container) on the 120" projection screen.

Any advice?

Thanks!
post #5503 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by theUnscented View Post

Wow. That would be great. The source was a 2 hour BluRay DVD. I opened it with the "AnyDVD" and copied it with Handbrake to an MP4 container (picture width 1920) COdec H.264(x264), whatever that means,. FPS same as source, Audio bit rate 160.

It produced an MP4 file that is 3.96 GB in size. It took about nine hours. That seems a bit long to me. Any advice?

The computer is a new Windows 8 computers (Home 64bit); AMD E1-1500 1.48GHz processor. The internal DVD player isn't BluRay so I bought an external Samsung SE-506 DVD player/burner. It says it connects with USB 2.0/3.0.

Is it normal to take that long for that file size or have I made some poor choices on the set up? Is the external USB connection a choke point? Or is Handbrake a slow DVD copy package?

The idea is to move the files to my NAS, play them with the PS3 (hence the MP4 container) on the 120" projection screen.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I can get away with ~6hr encode times to H.264/MKV/AC3 5.1. I have an i5 in my computer though. I don't know how your AMD compares to my i5. I usually just let mine run over night and have it auto-shutdown when completed. I'm on 0.9.5 still though as I never saw any reason to upgrade to the newest versions of Handbrake. I also didn't want to lose the 'target size' setting. The only problem is audio/video is usually out of sync, so I have to calculate the offset with VLC and then use MKVMergeGUI to line it up right.

My only advice at this point is to just let it run over night. It takes a long time because it's all CPU doing the encoding. A program like DVDFab can offload it onto hardware instead, which is a little faster, but I don't think the quality comes out quite as good.

I use CRF 20 and I'm able to crunch most of my BD down to ~4-8GB and still have it look very good.
post #5504 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Any advice?

Thanks!

You may want to try ripping the disk to your hard drive first, and then run Handbrake on it, if you are concerned about the time it takes.

I have a core i7, depending on the settings I choose in handbrake it ca take anywhere from 1-2 hours for a 2 hour Blu Ray

Cheers,
Damian

post #5505 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

... I opened it with the "AnyDVD" and copied it with Handbrake to an MP4 container (picture width 1920) COdec H.264(x264), whatever that means,. FPS same as source, Audio bit rate 160.

It produced an MP4 file that is 3.96 GB in size. It took about nine hours. That seems a bit long to me. Any advice? The computer is a new Windows 8 computers (Home 64bit); AMD E1-1500 1.48GHz processor.

I'm afraid 9 hours sounds normal for a dual core 1.5GHz processor. A new quad core i5 or i7 at 3+ GHz is going to take less than 2 hours.

If you have a recent Intel processor (it won't work with your AMD), the latest beta version of Handbrake can use the CPU's Quick Sync hardware H.264 encoder and it'll get the job done much faster still. With the Haswell processor, best quality mode is actually a bit slower than on previous generations because the algorithm was tweaked to favour quality over speed, but I can still re-encode a Blu-ray in about 30 minutes on a 3.4GHz Core i5-4670.
post #5506 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 664
The AMD E1-1500 1.48GHz processor is a low power Dual core processor. A quad core processor running, at twice the speed, will cut down the times tremendously.

For me, even if it only took one hour that is too long. I remember re-encoding hundreds of DVDs in the early 2000's and swore I would never do it again. So i just do 1:1 rips and store the entire BD on my servers

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5507 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I keep most as full size rips with HD audio, but sometimes re-encode. e.g. a 40GB file is likely using a much higher bit rate than necessary and can be cut in half with no loss of quality. It seems they sometimes just fill a dual-layer disk to annoy people who rip the disks.

I also reencoded a few of those stupid variable aspect ratio movies to a constant 2.35:1, since I have a scope screen. But I use a quality setting that doesn't reduce the file size much, and pass through the HD audio. So the fast hardware encoding option in the latest Handbrake is nice to have (you have to download one of the nightly builds).
post #5508 of 6339 Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29

Just a little update to my Catching Fire Posts last week. Apparently DVD Fab did something to address the issues I was having. There have been a few updates since last week but I thought they were mostly to address the issue with their US / Dot Com Site being blocked. Apparently I was wrong as the Audio is now perfectly in Sync and I don't have any jumping of the video like I did when the Blu-Ray first came out.

post #5509 of 6339 Old 03-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Anyone seen the Criterion Collection BD of Thief yet? I have it coming on Tuesday. Hopefully it will be a huge improvement over the old MGM non-anamorphic DVD.
post #5510 of 6339 Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

Anyone seen the Criterion BD of Thief yet? I have it coming on Tuesday.

I have thumbnails here: Thief (1981)

Those images look blue; I didn't notice it while watching the movie, probably because so much of takes place at night and any color grading is less noticeable.

-Bill
post #5511 of 6339 Old 03-17-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm so pissed at Lionsgate I've stopped buying most of their movies. I finally rented Escape and Catching Fire this weekend. No HD audio (my receiver shows the the audio type being fed by the BD player). I had been thinking of buying the Hunger Games series but decided to pass after my rental experience. I'm just tired of the studios dickering with paying customers.
post #5512 of 6339 Old 03-17-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:

I'm so pissed at Lionsgate I've stopped buying most of their movies. I finally rented Escape and Catching Fire this weekend. No HD audio (my receiver shows the the audio type being fed by the BD player). I had been thinking of buying the Hunger Games series but decided to pass after my rental experience. I'm just tired of the studios dickering with paying customers.

But if you buy it then you will get the HD audio. If the HD audio is what you want then buying makes sense.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #5513 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

But if you buy it then you will get the HD audio. If the HD audio is what you want then buying makes sense.

I want to experience it first before buying. Renting it on RedBox as the first time I had seen the movie. I'm not entirely sure why Lionsgate is producing rental BDs without HD audio, but right now I'm working off the assumption that it is a ploy to get me to buy their movie instead of merely renting it.

It's another example of how the legitimate consumer gets hosed. I wait like a good consumer the extra time for the movie to be on RedBox. I rent the BD and play it on my licensed BD player from Panasonic. What do I get? Less of a product than had I illegally downloaded the movie.
post #5514 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I want to experience it first before buying. Renting it on RedBox as the first time I had seen the movie. I'm not entirely sure why Lionsgate is producing rental BDs without HD audio, but right now I'm working off the assumption that it is a ploy to get me to buy their movie instead of merely renting it.

It's another example of how the legitimate consumer gets hosed. I wait like a good consumer the extra time for the movie to be on RedBox. I rent the BD and play it on my licensed BD player from Panasonic. What do I get? Less of a product than had I illegally downloaded the movie.

Yup, sounds about right ... They want to force the consumer to buy the movie (even though when you buy you still do not technically own). That was their motivation when they forced Netflix, etc... to delay new releases

Cheers,
Damian

post #5515 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Yup, sounds about right ... They want to force the consumer to buy the movie (even though when you buy you still do not technically own). That was their motivation when they forced Netflix, etc... to delay new releases

And some movies, RED and RED 2 come to mind, only have HD audio on the Special Editions. The single-disc non-Spec Ed versions are ac3 only. How's that for an F.U. to the paying customer?
post #5516 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

right now I'm working off the assumption that it is a ploy to get me to buy their movie instead of merely renting it.

Quote:

They want to force the consumer to buy the movie

It is a "strategy" to "incent" the market toward ownership. If you were them, you might do the same thing. Just sayin'. smile.gif
post #5517 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post

And some movies, RED and RED 2 come to mind, only have HD audio on the Special Editions. The single-disc non-Spec Ed versions are ac3 only. How's that for an F.U. to the paying customer?

Outrageous!! A ploy to force the consumer to purchase the more expensive product! I'd bet that they "Special Edition" came later? smile.gif
post #5518 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson87 View Post

I have seen this before and couldn't believe they would do that. It goes hand in hand with their push to encourage buyers to get the multi-disk versions with both BD and DVD. Once I went with BD I had no use for the DVD yet I would have to buy the multi-disk package to get HD audio on the BD.

When you see stuff like this it garners little sympathy for their piracy issues -- more like antipathy. One is more prone to feel they are getting what they deserve.

- kelson h

post #5519 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

It is a "strategy" to "incent" the market toward ownership. If you were them, you might do the same thing. Just sayin'. smile.gif

It's hard to say what I'd do, but I get your point (and it's a good one). But, it isn't working, at least not with me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Outrageous!! A ploy to force the consumer to purchase the more expensive product! I'd bet that they "Special Edition" came later? smile.gif

The problem I have is not that they come out with special editions or have editions without blu-ray audio per se. My problem is that blu-ray, in general, is marketed as being high definition video and audio. So an average consumer, without reading the fine print on the back of the box, is left with the impression that a normal blu-ray includes these two things as a standard feature. It has the feel of a bait and switch to me, especially given the fact that they don't want you to decrypt the blu-ray to examine the audio options. This is especially true with a rental because there is no box or written material that explains what audio you might be getting. I have to depend on my receiver to tell me that (and it has to be set in a certain mode to display the format source). And that's only after I paid to rent the movie.
post #5520 of 6339 Old 03-18-2014, 06:11 PM
Wireless member

They earn my ire when they cripple the retail version. I always research what I am buying before doing so, and would never buy a crippled title. If everyone did that, they might rethink that practice. I am less to not at all upset by them crippling rentals, however tacitly springing it on consumers I do have a problem with.

Jeff
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page