Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 151
I did my first BD rip with Clown et al and noticed that the generated ISO is named Clown_BD Temp, which is the name of the temp folder. Is there a way ... I'm sure there is .. to have the ISO named as the movie?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I did my first BD rip with Clown et al and noticed that the generated ISO is named Clown_BD Temp, which is the name of the temp folder. Is there a way ... I'm sure there is .. to have the ISO named as the movie?

Jeff

Unfortunately no

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #543 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Unfortunately no

More noob questions ...

Will a networked media player identify the movies automatically, or will I need to manually tag (right term?)?
post #544 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

More noob questions ...

Will a networked media player identify the movies automatically, or will I need to manually tag (right term?)?

What do you mean "tag"? Most of the players now should recognize that you have a Blu-ray folder rip and play as such (i.e. you won't have to navigate to all the sub folders). However, if you are talking about how it appears, that requires some sort of jukebox functionality.

Cheers,
Damian

post #545 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does a 2-click solution exist? Something along the lines of DVD Shrink (open disk, save desired portion to 'storage' format)?

Every 6mos or so, I start looking around but lose interest after finding out that multiple steps (rip this, convert that, strip, re-package, etc..) are still required.
post #546 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSi View Post

Does a 2-click solution exist? Something along the lines of DVD Shrink (open disk, save desired portion to 'storage' format)?

Every 6mos or so, I start looking around but lose interest after finding out that multiple steps (rip this, convert that, strip, re-package, etc..) are still required.

Been several options for a while (anydvd, clownbd, dvdfab, makemkv, another eac3to gui, etc...)

Cheers,
Damian

post #547 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:

There is software that allows you to lose all that stuff, so there doesn't seem to be a reason to do it manually .. if it's possible. With the software, it's a few mouse clicks before ripping. You should research Clown BD.

I know there is software to do this.
I am curious if anybody has ever tried to just delete the files manually. I mean you are talking about a 5 second delete as apposed to waiting an extra 30 minutes for software.

If only I knew more.
post #548 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:

Been several options for a while (anydvd, clownbd, dvdfab, makemkv, another eac3to gui, etc...)

See post #1 in this thread & the shortcomings listed in points 1, 2, & 3.
post #549 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToSi View Post

See post #1 in this thread & the shortcomings listed in points 1, 2, & 3.

Re read your original post buddy. All you asked for was a 2 click process. Also, the programs I mentioned don't require you to do repackaging manually, etc...

Cheers,
Damian

post #550 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:38 PM

Ok, I am a newbie, and I am still reading this thread, but I am more confused than ever before. All I would like to do is:
  • Put one of my Blu Ray discs in my "beast of a machine" gaming PC's ODD, and using AnyDVD, or some other tool, end up with a single file that I can copy to my Home Server PC. I want this file to contain the lossless video and audio from the movie (I do care about subtitles for my foreign flicks, but I don't have many of those).
  • Later, stream this file to my HTPC over my gigabit network for playback using WMC, XBMC, or something similar.

So, my questions are:
  1. What is the best/simplest/most efficient way to do this?
  2. What is the best file format? (I am guessing not .mkv because of its limited support)

Thank you in advance. And sorry that I couldn't grok all of the answers given for this already.
post #551 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

What do you mean "tag"? Most of the players now should recognize that you have a Blu-ray folder rip and play as such (i.e. you won't have to navigate to all the sub folders). However, if you are talking about how it appears, that requires some sort of jukebox functionality.

I literally tried ripping for the first time, and am trying to wrap my head around the whole networked media server/player thing. I have not settled on what format the BDs/DVDs should be in. My first rip was to an ISO with main movie and lossless audio.

What form do you have your BD's in?

Jeff
post #552 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuraijones View Post

I know there is software to do this.
I am curious if anybody has ever tried to just delete the files manually. I mean you are talking about a 5 second delete as apposed to waiting an extra 30 minutes for software.

I must be missing something. How do you get the Blu-ray onto your hard drive where you can delete a file?
post #553 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDaemon View Post

Ok, I am a newbie, and I am still reading this thread, but I am more confused than ever before. All I would like to do is:
  • Put one of my Blu Ray discs in my "beast of a machine" gaming PC's ODD, and using AnyDVD, or some other tool, end up with a single file that I can copy to my Home Server PC. I want this file to contain the lossless video and audio from the movie (I do care about subtitles for my foreign flicks, but I don't have many of those).
  • Later, stream this file to my HTPC over my gigabit network for playback using WMC, XBMC, or something similar.

So, my questions are:
  1. What is the best/simplest/most efficient way to do this?
  2. What is the best file format? (I am guessing not .mkv because of its limited support)

Thank you in advance. And sorry that I couldn't grok all of the answers given for this already.

1) If you want the full disc (i.e. menus, trailers, etc...) you can use AnyDVD or DVDFab. If you want the main movie you could use AnyDVD + Clown_BD (my preferred), DVDFab, MakeMKV, etc...

2) mkv support has definitely picked up so it is not a bad choice. I personally just stick with folder rips

Here is a wiki I put together on Clown_BD as well as a quick disc rip wiki

Cheers,
Damian

post #554 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I literally tried ripping for the first time, and am trying to wrap my head around the whole networked media server/player thing. I have not settled on what format the BDs/DVDs should be in. My first rip was to an ISO with main movie and lossless audio.

What form do you have your BD's in?

Jeff

I keep mine as a folder rip. An ISO is essentially the same thing (basically the folder rip is contained in the single ISO file). Either method is fine. You should be fine with your main movie ISO

Cheers,
Damian

post #555 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:

1) If you want the full disc (i.e. menus, trailers, etc...) you can use AnyDVD or DVDFab. If you want the main movie you could use AnyDVD + Clown_BD (my preferred), DVDFab, MakeMKV, etc...

2) mkv support has definitely picked up so it is not a bad choice. I personally just stick with folder rips

Here is a wiki I put together on Clown_BD as well as a quick disc rip wiki

Cool! Thank you. I don't wan't want all of the trailers, etc., and jsut the movie, then I will use AnyDVD + Clown_BD. What is a folder rip?
post #556 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Cool! Thank you. I don't wan't want all of the trailers, etc., and jsut the movie, then I will use AnyDVD + Clown_BD. What is a folder rip?

folder rip just implies keeping the same structure as the actual disc (as opposed to throwing into a contain like an mkv). With Clown_BD you can rip to a folder rip or folder rip + iso (so the folder rip just gets contained in one clean container). Eiter way should get you what you want

Cheers,
Damian

post #557 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elario View Post

No, the trial period is for the other modules. As far as I know the basic HD Decrypter function is free and works beyond the 30 day period.

Quote:

I must be missing something. How do you get the Blu-ray onto your hard drive where you can delete a file?

Whe you rip to an iso and look at the structure ther are many folders and files. You will have to excuse me I am pretty new to all of this. I was just curious if any body had tried to manualy delete the file within an iso foder.

If only I knew more.
post #558 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Whe you rip to an iso and look at the structure ther are many folders and files. You will have to excuse me I am pretty new to all of this. I was just curious if any body had tried to manualy delete the file within an iso foder.

The thing is.... an ISO rip is a file, not a folder, so you would need some software that can read/parse that file. Thus, why not use the appropriate software to do the work?
post #559 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Wireless member

Folders would seem to be the best way to organize a library. If that's true, then generating the folder with the ripping/converting software might be the best way to accomplish that. ??
post #560 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Sure, but the software that would put all of the files there could put there only what you want in the first place making manually deleting unnecessary.
post #561 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:

folder rip just implies keeping the same structure as the actual disc (as opposed to throwing into a contain like an mkv). With Clown_BD you can rip to a folder rip or folder rip + iso (so the folder rip just gets contained in one clean container). Eiter way should get you what you want

Ok. I think I would prefer to have all of this in a single container like an .mkv file, rather than trying to mount a a bunch of .iso files on my Home Server. Am I wrong?

And is .mkv the only container choice for lossless video and audio?
post #562 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I keep mine as a folder rip. An ISO is essentially the same thing (basically the folder rip is contained in the single ISO file). Either method is fine. You should be fine with your main movie ISO

I use ANYDVDHD and rip to folders, and then use BDRebuilder to compress a little resulting in a movie only iso file about 22GB. I have to use a streamer that streams iso's of course which are not that common and a bit expensive. Would it be difficult to convert the iso's to m2ts and stream with the less expensive streamers like WD Live?
post #563 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Sure, but the software that would put all of the files there could put there only what you want in the first place making manually deleting unnecessary.

Makes sense thanks for the clarification.

If only I knew more.
post #564 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ok. I think I would prefer to have all of this in a single container like an .mkv file, rather than trying to mount a a bunch of .iso files on my Home Server. Am I wrong?

And is .mkv the only container choice for lossless video and audio?

mkv or m2ts/ts/ However, with standalone m2ts/ts you lose chapters which is one of the reasons i prefer mkv for standalone files

here are some mkv guides i have put together

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/mkv/

Cheers,
Damian

post #565 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

mkv or m2ts/ts/ However, with standalone m2ts/ts you lose chapters which is one of the reasons i prefer mkv for standalone files

I thought that would be true for any streamed file, including mkv? That you will lose the use of chapters??

That's a note I had made for myself some time ago.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #566 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:

[*]Put one of my Blu Ray discs in my "beast of a machine" gaming PC's ODD, and using AnyDVD, or some other tool, end up with a single file that I can copy to my Home Server PC. I want this file to contain the lossless video and audio from the movie (I do care about subtitles for my foreign flicks, but I don't have many of those).[*]Later, stream this file to my HTPC over my gigabit network for playback using WMC, XBMC, or something similar.

So, my questions are:
[*]What is the best/simplest/most efficient way to do this?[*]What is the best file format? (I am guessing not .mkv because of its limited support)

This is basically my issue as well. I ripped a BD (cars 2) with dvdfab: bluray copy: main movie, but because that part of the trial had expired it said it would use HD decrypter. You know what I ended up with. VLC plays some but not all the BDs I've ripped and WMC won't play any because it won't support whatever it's ripped as (AVCHD). I just want to rip it as one file to click on (?) with HD video and audio and play it via Hdmi to my receiver so I can watch it on my HT. Do I need a different player as well? It'd be nice if I could get everything working for free since I'm broke. And please dumb down any advice, I don't get this computer stuff. Thanks!
post #567 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:

here are some mkv guides i have put together

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/tag/mkv/

Ok, thank you. I've been playing with MakeMKV and Clown_BD since your last post. Your WIKI's are awesome!

But -you knew there was going to be a "but" -MakeMKV costs money, I don't know how much, and Clown_BD is working as I type this so I do not know what it will produce yet. Is there a free app that makes a file will lossless video and audio? Is that BluRip? I am downloading that as I type too.
post #568 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Ok, thank you. I've been playing with MakeMKV and Clown_BD since your last post. Your WIKI's are awesome!

But -you knew there was going to be a "but" -MakeMKV costs money, I don't know how much, and Clown_BD is working as I type this so I do not know what it will produce yet. Is there a free app that makes a file will lossless video and audio? Is that BluRip? I am downloading that as I type too.

I thought Makemkv was still free while in beta? I just downloaded it last week...
post #569 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamerlover View Post

I thought Makemkv was still free while in beta? I just downloaded it last week...

It says "This functionality is shareware. You may evaluate it for 30 days after what you would need to purchase an activation key if you like the functionality. Do you want to start the evaluation period now?"

Their grammar, not mine.

This is when I point it to the Blu Ray files copyied to my hard drive by AnyDVD HD.
post #570 of 6378 Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM

So from my initial testing, only MakeMKV allows the final file to include chapters, but I could be wrong. Clown_BD seems to recognize that there are chapters, but doesn't include them in the final .ts file.

So MakeMKV seems like the best option.

Anyone else know of a good (free) program to convert the raw .m2ts Blu Ray files into a .mkv or .ts file container for all of the video and audio?

EDIT: Found the beta key for MakeMKV so I am set. Now I get lossless video, audio and chapters quickly and easily. Thank you all!
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page