Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 196 - AVS Forum
First ... 194  195  196 197  198  ... Last
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Ripping Blu-Rays II
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 02:37 PM 05-14-2014
And you can also use DVDFab to rip the main movie to m2ts without wasting time on demuxing with ClownBD first.

dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 02:48 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post

And you can also use DVDFab to rip the main movie to m2ts without wasting time on demuxing with ClownBD first.

Downside you are left with seamless branch if present
djc11369's Avatar djc11369 03:24 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

But then you can run it through MakeMKV smile.gif
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 03:49 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post

But then you can run it through MakeMKV smile.gif

Why would you need to do that ? You would Just use makemkv only, no need for dvdfab
djc11369's Avatar djc11369 05:22 PM 05-14-2014
I'm lazy, DVDFab selects the correct playlist 99% of the time so no figuring which one is right. Then because it's already decrypted it doesn't take MakeMKV too long to complete the process.
landshark1's Avatar landshark1 05:34 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:

Yes
Thanks! cool.gif
pittsoccer33's Avatar pittsoccer33 07:03 PM 05-14-2014
im having trouble with Stalingrad. its a Russian film in Russian. im trying to capture the English subtitles.

the first subtitle track seems like the sdh one. the text sits inside a black box and has sound descriptions (yelling, sobbing).

the second English sub track looks like this:

any thoughts on why they look like that? any sort of fix? should I try finding them online and remixing?
olyteddy's Avatar olyteddy 07:07 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post

im having trouble with Stalingrad. its a Russian film in Russian. im trying to capture the English subtitles.

the first subtitle track seems like the sdh one. the text sits inside a black box and has sound descriptions (yelling, sobbing).

the second English sub track looks like this:

any thoughts on why they look like that? any sort of fix? should I try finding them online and remixing?
Player Settings?
pittsoccer33's Avatar pittsoccer33 07:09 PM 05-14-2014
look closely above the soldiers arm - that ms paint looking text is how the subtitle looks muxed into the mkv

it looks the same in windows media center and mpc-hc. they seem to be ok in arcsoft tmt on the disc
ScottJ's Avatar ScottJ 07:55 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:

look closely above the soldiers arm - that ms paint looking text is how the subtitle looks muxed into the mkv

it looks the same in windows media center and mpc-hc. they seem to be ok in arcsoft tmt on the disc

What are you using to make the MKV?
Tesla1856's Avatar Tesla1856 09:19 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:

I think there is suppose to be a white box behind it? You should be able to see when real disc is played?

techflaws's Avatar techflaws 11:59 PM 05-14-2014
Quote:

Really? I had no problems ripping movies like Monster University by going with the default playlist it selected.
Quote:

Extract them and take a look in BDSUP2SUB. Probably the palette is off.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 03:48 AM 05-15-2014
Quote:

Really? I had no problems ripping movies like Monster University by going with the default playlist it selected.

Really depends on what media player you are using. Some do not handle seamless branch well and I would rather not limit myself to what device I can use.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 08:41 AM 05-15-2014
Quote:

Depends.

If you use the BluRay Copy module to extract the main title into the BDMV folder structure then seamless branching is left intact .

If you use the BluRay Ripper module to extract the main title to a single file -- like .m2ts -- then it joins the segments.

The two modules are independently priced and so are charged for separately -- like everything in DVD Fab.

In either case, DVD Fab does nothing to create a separate forced subtitle track the way Clown_BD does -- so no support for players that can't handle forced subs automatically like the WD Live.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 08:43 AM 05-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Depends.

If you use the BluRay Copy module to extract the main title into the BDMV folder structure then seamless branching is left intact .

If you use the BluRay Ripper module to extract the main title to a single file -- like .m2ts -- then it joins the segments.

The two modules are independently priced and so are charged for separately -- like everything in DVD Fab.

Makes sense (also about DVDFab billing separately). Since I would lose chapters by just doing a standalone m2ts file that is why I typically do a main movie folder rip before moving on to mkvmerge (but of course I should add I am using CLown_BD for the output of the working files)
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 09:37 AM 05-15-2014
You may typically do it but landshark1 asked if Clown_BD is the best tool to rip the main movie only which it's not.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 10:22 AM 05-15-2014
Quote:

You may typically do it but landshark1 asked if Clown_BD is the best tool to rip the main movie only which it's not.

In my opinion it is the best tool for doing a main movie rip. I thought it was an opinion question confused.gif
pepar's Avatar pepar 10:59 AM 05-15-2014
Quote:

Really depends on what media player you are using. Some do not handle seamless branch well and I would rather not limit myself to what device I can use.

Jumping in here ... are there ripping solutions that retain the individual files and the instructions as to what to play in what order, and then other ripping solutions that assemble the segments into one file which a player simply plays through?

This might be rhetorical because that is what I have understood from what I have been skimming.

EDIT: Oh gosh, if I'd have read Kelson's post ... redface.gif

Jeff
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 12:16 PM 05-15-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Jumping in here ... are there ripping solutions that retain the individual files and the instructions as to what to play in what order, and then other ripping solutions that assemble the segments into one file which a player simply plays through?
If you rip a main title to BDMV folder structure:

\BDMV\STREAM contains 00000.m2ts which is the native container that holds the video, audio and subtitle streams.
\BDMV\PLAYLIST contains 00000.pls which is the playlist that contains the chapter points and the order of the segments for a seamless branching title.
pepar's Avatar pepar 12:23 PM 05-15-2014
^^^ Thanks. I am in Damian's corner on this.

Jeff
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 10:43 PM 05-15-2014
We've been over this. All I'm saying is that for ripping main movie only, you don't need to have Clown_BD demux the BD into elementary streams and therefore, IMO, DVDfab is the best tool cause it saves you that step.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 10:47 PM 05-15-2014
As I noted above:
DVD Fab does nothing to create a separate forced subtitle track the way Clown_BD does -- so no support for players that can't handle forced subs automatically like the WD Live.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 03:59 AM 05-16-2014
Quote:

We've been over this. All I'm saying is that for ripping main movie only, you don't need to have Clown_BD demux the BD into elementary streams and therefore, IMO, DVDfab is the best tool cause it saves you that step.

Well, there really isn't an extra step on the part of the user though. You simply let Clown_BD run and you get your final output, no different than DVDFab. I only take it a step further because I want an mkv
techflaws's Avatar techflaws 06:53 AM 05-16-2014
It's different cause it takes more time and HDD space. And take a step less by using MakeMKV.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 06:55 AM 05-16-2014
Quote:

It's different cause it takes more time and HDD space. And take a step less by using MakeMKV.

Yes, MakeMKV has one less of a step. I personally rather have more control over the process, especially with forced subtitles which is why I rather go with the ClownBD + mkvmerge method.
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP 07:12 AM 05-16-2014
After much internal debate and tinkering I think I'm ready to toss in the towel on keeping full ISO BD rips. There is a significant con to trying to maintain full menu support in every solution:

- Smart Dunes are hard to find and not as well supported with updates and add on software. The new MyMovies UI for example won't run on them.
- HTPC has it's host of work to keep running. JRiver is cumbersome software and the actual 10' UI I didn't care for. MB3 has a long way to go with MBTheater. I'd rather not touch Media Center either. It's all just not as clean, integrated, or family friendly.

I spent some time looking through a number of BDs as well to check out special features and all that. There's far less there on most discs than I really care about archiving or even watching.

All the new hardware and media jukebox software is being built towards main movie files and it shows.

I think I'm going to just stick with my PCH A400 for a bit and do the ripping. Take regular movie and tv BDs into MKV files with the video, hd audio, forced subs, and commentaries. Then rip out any special features I want to keep with the item.

3D BD can use ClownBD to make a similar main movie ISO. Just stick with that until 3D MVC MKV comes along or it becomes more turnkey to rip 3D without the branching.

Nice part is most every streamer box still supports DVD menus as least. So all the old cartoons and such I have on DVD can just stay as ISO rips. The time and effort to rip individual shows out of those is huge.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 07:17 AM 05-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

3D BD can use ClownBD to make a similar main movie ISO. Just stick with that until 3D MVC MKV comes along or it becomes more turnkey to rip 3D without the branching.

ClownBD can now do 3D BD Isos? I know tsMuxer now supports but haven't had a chance to test out
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP 07:28 AM 05-16-2014
I thought I had been reading about people using ClownBD for 3D ISO. Can it not handle them at all? I assumed it could, just that it couldn't resolve seamless branching. If it can't then I need another tool for that I guess. Maybe DVDFab.
dbone1026's Avatar dbone1026 07:36 AM 05-16-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaremyP View Post

I thought I had been reading about people using ClownBD for 3D ISO. Can it not handle them at all? I assumed it could, just that it couldn't resolve seamless branching. If it can't then I need another tool for that I guess. Maybe DVDFab.

To my knowledge ClownBD doesn't work for 3D (at least from when I tested, but this was a while ago). You could use DVDFab or use tsMuxer (from what other folks posted here tsMuxer would get rid of seamless branching and leave you with a main movie 3D ISO)
JaremyP's Avatar JaremyP 07:41 AM 05-16-2014
Thanks for clearing that up. I had the wrong assumption then.

I read a bit on the tsmuxer approach to 3d BD. It still strikes me as not fully baked though. Like issues handling TrueHD audio tracks and the process looked cumbersome. On the Doom9 forums as well it appeared that the guy working on the capability has gone away. If anyone has a simple guide to using tsmuxer for main movie 3D BD ISO rips and can confirm it's working without any caveats, I'd love to see it.
Tags: Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
First ... 194  195  196 197  198  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop