post #31 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipTheBits View Post

Thanks for the info. Guessing seems like a pain. Is this why most people only rip a single main title? Does picking an audio track also involve guessing?

Well, if someone really cares about having full disc access that is generally why they choose a Dune or PCH C-200 (all of which support full BluRay menus). I don't expect Boxee Box to ever get this as it involves paying for a license (and we already see that they are trying to trim the fact as they just killed the license to downmix TrueHD to multi channel PCM)

The Audio tracks will usually list what language but that is it

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

Yeah, my wife and daughters would wonder what I'm doing at the computer if I was sitting here naked.

post #33 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I think 50 is a bit optimistic. I get about 60-70 main_title BD.m2ts rips on a 2TB drive. I find most of the titles I have are in the 20-30GB range (uncompressed with a single HD audio track).

Yes, I agree. I was trying to present a top end number to give an idea of how quickly space will go. That's one of the reasons why I went with the 3TB NAS. Originally was looking at going with a 2 Bay RAID solution which would have limited me to about 2TB (2x2TB drives mirrored). 4 Bay solutions 4 2TB drives just looked to expensive for me at this time. 3TB drives are a little overpriced in my opinion, which prevented me from looking at using them in a RAID array. I guess I could have gone JBOD or with a RAID that didn't have any data protection, but it still would have been pretty expensive in comparison. Right now, I'm gambling on the fact that 3TB will fit my needs for the next year or two and prices will go down on larger volume drives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

As soon as I get my new desktop, I'll try some of these methods and see what I like the best. Hopefully, the second-gen Intel I7 processor it has will make the ripping/encoding process even faster. I did use MakeMKV once or twice but MKV was still not played back properly by many media players at the time, particularly concerning forced subtitles and seamless branching. Ripping blu-rays has come a long way in a short time, it seems.

Please report back when you get your new desktop. Let me know what your current specs are and what your news specs are and then the performance difference. That way I can justify a new desktop.

post #35 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post

Well, if someone really cares about having full disc access that is generally why they choose a Dune or PCH C-200 (all of which support full BluRay menus). I don't expect Boxee Box to ever get this as it involves paying for a license (and we already see that they are trying to trim the fact as they just killed the license to downmix TrueHD to multi channel PCM)

The Audio tracks will usually list what language but that is it

With each passing day, I'm glad I went with the Dune over the Boxee. (No offense to you Boxee fans).

post #36 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:

You will need to rip the full disc (just use AnyDVD or DVDFab). As far as selecting the features in Boxee Box I believe you will just simply see a list something like Title1, Title2, Title3, etc... to choose from (so basically a guessing game)

The Boxee Box will just start playing the movie. You have to browse the BD ISO to see a list that shows title 1, title 2 etc. I only do that on the handful of BD ISOs that you need to select the correct title to play. The vast majority of full rip bd isos don't have a problem. Otherwise I will use m c200 to just play the bd ISO with full menus. Which I find I am doing less and less now.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #37 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It should be also remembered that a lot of blu ray computer drives have "riploc" on the which slows ripping to hard drives to a crawl. Google "media speed code edit" and you can find a cool program that allows you to rip at much faster speeds after patching your drive. I have had ZERO issues with ANY disc I have ripped using this method, so after watching about 50 discs I cry "poo poo" to the people that say increasing the rip speed introduces errors...
HOWEVER, this is just my opinion..
post #38 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 11:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Boxee Box will just start playing the movie. You have to browse the BD ISO to see a list that shows title 1, title 2 etc. I only do that on the handful of BD ISOs that you need to select the correct title to play. The vast majority of full rip bd isos don't have a problem. Otherwise I will use m c200 to just play the bd ISO with full menus. Which I find I am doing less and less now.

Correct, the point being it is a guessing game if you are trying to select different titles (versus doing this on a player that has full BD Menu support).

Cheers,
Damian

post #39 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Please report back when you get your new desktop. Let me know what your current specs are and what your news specs are and then the performance difference. That way I can justify a new desktop.

Actually, it's just a desktop that I'm just purchasing. I'm not building one (I assume that's what you may have been thinking). I sold my last desktop, which had a AMD Phenom X4 processor, and I thought that was fast. These new ones from Intel are supposed to provide even faster speeds...even for video transcoding!

I have both a DuneHD Base and a Boxee Box. I like the Boxee Box but I'm glad I purchased the Dune. Get something that can handle Blu-ray and HD audio properly, right out of the box.

Concerning the "riploc" nonsense. I'm going to have to install a blu-ray drive in my new desktop, or use an external. Which drives DON'T have this "riploc" crap?
post #40 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

When you say browse the BD ISO, do you mean through the file structure browser, or in a pop up menu once the ISO starts playing?

And what problem are you referring to? needing to find the title you want to play?

if only boxee had full menu's. Although, I was reading someone say they like the lite menus the other day. I cant remember why. faster?
post #41 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When you say browse the BD ISO, do you mean through the file structure browser, or in a pop up menu once the ISO starts playing?

And what problem are you referring to? needing to find the title you want to play?

if only boxee had full menu's. Although, I was reading someone say they like the lite menus the other day. I cant remember why. faster?

If you rip full discs but just want the main movie to play, then bd lite is faster because it goes right to the main movie (as opposed to going through the whole disc menu process)

Cheers,
Damian

post #42 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 01:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

For some reason they do not have a browse option once the Bd ISO is scanned and put in your movie list. I do hope this changes in the future.
A handful of BD ISOs when using BD lite will play the wrong selection. Fortunately this only affects a small number of titles and an even smaller number requires you to use a player capable of full BD menu navigation.(So far I've only run into five titles like that)

You need to go to the file browser and navigate to the folder with the BD ISO. once you select the ISo one of the options allows you to browse it. Then it will list a bunch of titles and running times. For the few problem BD ISOs Typically there are only two or three movie length titles. Which you can ususally select if you know what the running time is.

For example The Watchmen BD ISO has one title that shows the PiP stuff with the director talking and showing behind the scenes stuff. While the other title is the movie itself. and then the rest of the titles are short 2 or 3 minute titles which are probably trailers.

I do notice that once you select the right title, when you access the BD ISo from the movie list it will play that title you selected when it was browsed.

post #43 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM

Thanks for your help guys.

So the movie list defaults to the last title played from the file browser?

But how does this work with a BD TV series like Planet Earth which may have more then one episode on a disk? Always go through the file manager? Or is this where .NFO stuff comes in?

If you want we can continue in PM. i am an engineer, and i have questions! haha

:P
post #44 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for your help guys.

So the movie list defaults to the last title played from the file browser?

But how does this work with a BD TV series like Planet Earth which may have more then one episode on a disk? Always go through the file manager? Or is this where .NFO stuff comes in?

If you want we can continue in PM. i am an engineer, and i have questions! haha

:P

Same drill, doesn't matter whether it is a BluRay movie or BluRay TV show, the Boxee Box does not show BluRay menus, so my guess the playlist that the Boxee Box will play will probably be the playlist that is set to play all episodes on the disk. If you want to play an individual episode you will have to do a guessing game with the titles

For the best results with TV Show DVDs/Boxsets, your best bet is t o rip to individual episodes instead of keeping as a disc

Cheers,
Damian

post #45 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilengineer View Post

Make mkv is pretty quick as it doesn't transcode anything and makes a 1:1 rip.

Dead easy to use. Scan disc, tick boxes for titles to keep (it's normally obvious which is the main movie based on length), expand the tree for each title and select audio/subs tracks with tick boxes, hit go. About 40 minutes later you have a finished movie-only mkv.

The final mkv will probably be 20-25GB for most movies at least 1GB smaller than a movie-only iso/BDMV folder rip of the same movie.

The main draw back is that the Blu-ray PGS subtitles (particularly forced ones) in a mkv container aren't supported very well on a lot of streamers. For example, my PCH C200 does do PGS subs in mkv but a firmware bug means they are slightly out-of-whack timing wise.

I've also had issues with multi-segment Blu-rays (particularly the Pixar movies) where the audio drifts out of sync over the length of the movie.

Couldn't agree more. MakeMKV works so well that I also now use it for my regular DVD ripping (it makes short work of needing to rip a TV series disc).

The only thing lacking for MakeMKV in my opinion at this time is that it does not mark forced subtitle tracks with the forced flag, although it does detect the forced subs and put them into their own track... I just go in with MKVMerge and change the attributes for titles like that).

I also wish it would let me manually name the output file, but at least now it uses the disc name as part of the file name so I know what the heck I am looking at.
post #46 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:

I think the quality of the drives is more important than the age of the PC. I have an 8+yr old PC: P4 - 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM running XP-SP3. Pretty old box. In contrast I have installed a pair of recent vintage LG optical drives.

For DVD, an LG GH22NP20 DVD burner. Using this burner I rip full disk DVD.iso in 10 min or less. It hits peak read speeds of 16X. If this has riplock, I don't care.

For BluRay, an LG WH10LS30 BD-R/RE burner. This is a SATA drive so I had to pick up a cheap PCI-SATA adapter from monoprice.com. With this burner I rip can rip a full 40-45GB BD-ROM in 50-55 min. It hits a peak read speed of 4-5X. In this case I think the drive would go faster, but my PC hits the wall. Still, under an hour to do a rip is fine with me. It's not like I'm ripping every night. Maybe a disk every week or so.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #47 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 08:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I think the quality of the drives is more important than the age of the PC. I have an 8+yr old PC: P4 - 2.4GHz, 1GB RAM running XP-SP3. Pretty old box. In contrast I have installed a pair of recent vintage LG optical drives.

For DVD, an LG GH22NP20 DVD burner. Using this burner I rip full disk DVD.iso in 10 min or less. It hits peak read speeds of 16X. If this has riplock, I don't care.

For BluRay, an LG WH10LS30 BD-R/RE burner. This is a SATA drive so I had to pick up a cheap PCI-SATA adapter from monoprice.com. With this burner I rip can rip a full 40-45GB BD-ROM in 50-55 min. It hits a peak read speed of 4-5X. In this case I think the drive would go faster, but my PC hits the wall. Still, under an hour to do a rip is fine with me. It's not like I'm ripping every night. Maybe a disk every week or so.

I have an LG BH08LS20 which is an earlier 8X version of your 10X drive. My peak read speeds are typically 7X to 8X. Only because I unlocked it. UNlocking the drive makes a big difference in read speeds.

post #48 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have an LG BH08LS20 which is an earlier 8X version of your 10X drive. My peak read speeds are typically 7X to 8X. Only because I unlocked it. UNlocking the drive makes a big difference in read speeds.

I'll have to look into it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #49 of 6583 Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had to upgrade my drive because I didn't have a BR drive (thankful I waited because I got one for only $99 which was much cheaper than in 2009). I got the LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support. I'm only getting one BD ISO per 40 to 60 minutes.

I'm ripping several a day right now because I just started up....

post #50 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I had to upgrade my drive because I didn't have a BR drive (thankful I waited because I got one for only $99 which was much cheaper than in 2009). I got the LG Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 10X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Super Multi WH12LS30 LightScribe Support. I'm only getting one BD ISO per 40 to 60 minutes.

I'm ripping several a day right now because I just started up....

That's the next model up from mine, 12X vs. 10X. So you are ripping at about the same speed as I am. In my case, I believe I am limited by the speed of my PC. When I burn a BD-R with ImgBurn, the verify cycle runs at about the same speed as a BD rip with DVD Fab.

- kelson h

post #51 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I am hoping over the next month or two to build a new PC. My current desktop which I is essentially my workstation where I rip, etc... is still functional but getting long in the tooth (Intel Quad Core Q6600). I would like to go in the core i7 direction, in particular to speed up encoding/commercial scanning which I do for the TV shows I record. My current desktop has a combo BluRay/HD DVD rom drive, so debating whether I pull that drive out and throw into the new PC (since combo drives are not manufactured anymore), or simply get a newer BluRay rom drive (or I guess since I would expect to have at least two 5.25" bays I could get a newer BR Rom drive for ripping and throw the old drive in the 2nd bay in case I need an HD DVD capable drive). Would definitely love to speed up the commercial scanning/encoding process though, currently takes a little over an hour just to handle a 30 minute HD TV show

Cheers,
Damian

post #52 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Just get a newer BD ROM drive. The drives are so much cheaper now. The last BD ROM drive I bought was a 12X Samsung drive for only $65. While I have not unlocked it(I'm not even sure if I can since I can't find firmware for it) it is quick, but just not as fast as my unlocked 8X LG drive.(My unloacked LG drives start off reading very fast around 3X and just gets faster up to 8X, while my Samsungs start much slower, around 1.5X and slowly works their way up to 6X or so)
I always like to have different manufacturer BD ROM drives around. Sometimes a title will have difficulties being ripped with certain drives from manufacturers. So if my LG drives have trouble ripping, I can try it on my Samsung or Lite ON BD ROM drives. For the ones I've had issues with, I've always been able to rip them on one of those brand of drives.

post #53 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I always like to have different manufacturer BD ROM drives around. Sometimes a title will have difficulties being ripped with certain drives from manufacturers. So if my LG drives have trouble ripping, I can try it on my Samsung or Lite ON BD ROM drives. For the ones I've had issues with, I've always been able to rip them on one of those brand of drives.

Good idea on the different brand drives. I do run into issues where my BR Rom drive will not recognize the disk, so I end up popping it into my wifes PC and usually that does the trick

Cheers,
Damian

post #54 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Just get a newer BD ROM drive. The drives are so much cheaper now. The last BD ROM drive I bought was a 12X Samsung drive for only $65. While I have not unlocked it(I'm not even sure if I can since I can't find firmware for it) it is quick, but just not as fast as my unlocked 8X LG drive.(My unloacked LG drives start off reading very fast around 3X and just gets faster up to 8X, while my Samsungs start much slower, around 1.5X and slowly works their way up to 6X or so)

Oh, Aaronwt you have 5 of everything! haha

What is "unlocking"? is it purely a speed thing or a DRM thing?

it seems you are saying that an unlocked 8X could be faster then a locked 10X. What are the risks?
post #55 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh, Aaronwt you have 5 of everything! haha

What is "unlocking"? is it purely a speed thing or a DRM thing?

it seems you are saying that an unlocked 8X could be faster then a locked 10X. What are the risks?

Supposedly Aaronwt purchases multiple copies of each movie in case he wants to watch it more then once

Cheers,
Damian

post #56 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am hoping over the next month or two to build a new PC. My current desktop which I is essentially my workstation where I rip, etc... is still functional but getting long in the tooth (Intel Quad Core Q6600). I would like to go in the core i7 direction, in particular to speed up encoding/commercial scanning which I do for the TV shows I record. My current desktop has a combo BluRay/HD DVD rom drive, so debating whether I pull that drive out and throw into the new PC (since combo drives are not manufactured anymore), or simply get a newer BluRay rom drive (or I guess since I would expect to have at least two 5.25" bays I could get a newer BR Rom drive for ripping and throw the old drive in the 2nd bay in case I need an HD DVD capable drive). Would definitely love to speed up the commercial scanning/encoding process though, currently takes a little over an hour just to handle a 30 minute HD TV show

That's long in the tooth? I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHZ. I've been thinking of upgrading to a Quad now for some time. Of course, then I'd have to reinstall all the software!

post #57 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's long in the tooth? I have a Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHZ. I've been thinking of upgrading to a Quad now for some time. Of course, then I'd have to reinstall all the software!

Yeah, the PC is probably 3 years older now (which is PC terms is ancient). When I know that I could cut my encoding time in half or more by upgrading to a new PC then it definitely warrants looking at

Cheers,
Damian

post #58 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I want a new PC...I'm thinking 2012. On the other hand, It takes me about a week to get windows reinstalled, software, etc. More work....

post #59 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good idea on the different brand drives. I do run into issues where my BR Rom drive will not recognize the disk, so I end up popping it into my wifes PC and usually that does the trick

I have had that problem with older drives -- the LiteOn wouldn't rip a disk the LG would, etc. I tend not to have those problems when I have recent vintage drives. The price of burners has come way down. If you use them a lot replace them every two years whether or not they need to be.

I picked up my LG DVD burner for $20 and my LG BD burner for $80 a couple months ago. NewEgg has constantly changing prices on those burners. I had been watching the 10X WH10LS30 and had a price alert set in Pricegrabber. NewEgg had them for $80 with free S/H for a couple days just before they were discontinued and I grabbed it. The new 12X WH12LS30 has since come way down in price and is selling for $85 (today at least) at NewEgg. It's not worth it to buy just a BD-ROM anymore since a burner costs only a few $$ more.

- kelson h

post #60 of 6583 Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, the PC is probably 3 years older now (which is PC terms is ancient). When I know that I could cut my encoding time in half or more by upgrading to a new PC then it definitely warrants looking at

I don't know what software you use for encoding, but unless it is written as a multi-threaded application, a multi-core processor won't give you much benefit. DVD Fab has an interesting approach for speeding up encoding. If you have a high-end NVIDIA graphics board installed, their code uses the high-speed CUDA graphics processor on the board to do the encoding.

- kelson h

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page