post #6061 of 6197 Old 06-19-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
All I know is I have some cd's older than that which were kept in my car for a large amount of their lives and they are still functioning ūüėä
CDs don't have two layers sandwiched together like most DVDs & Blu-rays do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 6197 Old 06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
As I've asked before, why does one disc get 2 episodes while another gets 13?
You're asking the wrong person because I can't tell you.... and that's the point... you don't really know either. So stop pretending that you do.
post #6063 of 6197 Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarney View Post
You're asking the wrong person because I can't tell you.... and that's the point... you don't really know either. So stop pretending that you do.

He's right, let it drop.
post #6064 of 6197 Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Does it really matter? Someone somewhere makes the decision. And obviously the decision is not necessarily the same with each title.

I would say it's like ripping and people in this thread. Everyone doe snot do it the same way. People have their own preferences. Nothing is the wrong way, just different ways of doing it.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6065 of 6197 Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyway to get the chapter graphic to work? I rip using makemkv and uncheck everything except the feature film.

By the "chapter graphic" I'm talking about when you skip forward to next chapter during playback.

I'm assuming I'd have to rip a 1:1 ISO copy?
post #6066 of 6197 Old 06-24-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Anyway to get the chapter graphic to work? I rip using makemkv and uncheck everything except the feature film.

By the "chapter graphic" I'm talking about when you skip forward to next chapter during playback.

That stuff is all specific to the Blu-ray format.

So yes, 1:1 ISO, plus a player that supports full BD playback.
post #6067 of 6197 Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
That stuff is all specific to the Blu-ray format.

So yes, 1:1 ISO, plus a player that supports full BD playback.
Ok thank you... I'm tempted to try a 1:1 ISO just to see how I like it. I'm assuming makeMKV is not the appropriate software for this? Also, I use MB3 within WMC (I could use PowerDVD 13 Ultra as an external player) so I would have to work around the kinks there.

Any suggestions?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6068 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 04:15 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Ok thank you... I'm tempted to try a 1:1 ISO just to see how I like it. I'm assuming makeMKV is not the appropriate software for this? Also, I use MB3 within WMC (I could use PowerDVD 13 Ultra as an external player) so I would have to work around the kinks there.

Any suggestions?
MakeMKV has a backup mode for Blu-ray (not DVD) that will copy the BDMV folder structure rather than making an MKV file. You can create an ISO from that with standard utilities. (I've tested that feature but not actually used it for anything, nor have I used Blu-ray ISO for a long time).

-Bill
post #6069 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

As people have noted, chapter points are part of the BluRay BDMV folder structure. In particular, there are two file types. xxxxx.m2ts in the BDMV\STREAM folder are the playable AV files that contain the video, audio and subtitle streams. These are self-contained files that can be played by any player that plays HD content. xxxxx.pls are the playlist files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder. These are the "info" files that are read by the player that, among other things, contain the chapter skip points.

Point being, you do not mention what your target player is. You can rip to BDMV folder structure and create an .iso file that contains the playlist and chapter point information, but unless your target player supports reading the playlist and using the chapter point information, it won't matter. While a number of players support playing a BD.iso, few support chapter skip points. Case in point would be the WDTV Live-SMP -- it can play a BD.iso and even use the playlist to play a seamless branched title, but it does not support BD chapter skip points.

The same goes for MKV. MKV includes chapter skip points in a BD rip but you have to have a player that supports chapter skip points in a BD.MKV. In that case the WDTV Live-SMP reportedly supports MKV chapter skip points.

Hope this clears it up.
jhughy2010 likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6070 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
As people have noted, chapter points are part of the BluRay BDMV folder structure. In particular, there are two file types. xxxxx.m2ts in the BDMV\STREAM folder are the playable AV files that contain the video, audio and subtitle streams. These are self-contained files that can be played by any player that plays HD content. xxxxx.pls are the playlist files in the BDMV/PLAYLIST folder. These are the "info" files that are read by the player that, among other things, contain the chapter skip points.

Point being, you do not mention what your target player is. You can rip to BDMV folder structure and create an .iso file that contains the playlist and chapter point information, but unless your target player supports reading the playlist and using the chapter point information, it won't matter. While a number of players support playing a BD.iso, few support chapter skip points. Case in point would be the WDTV Live-SMP -- it can play a BD.iso and even use the playlist to play a seamless branched title, but it does not support BD chapter skip points.

The same goes for MKV. MKV includes chapter skip points in a BD rip but you have to have a player that supports chapter skip points in a BD.MKV. In that case the WDTV Live-SMP reportedly supports MKV chapter skip points.

Hope this clears it up.
Afaik, any player that natively supports mkv will also support chapter files.
post #6071 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Afaik, any player that natively supports mkv will also support chapter files.
Maybe for the $200+ crowd, but I don't think that is true for the mid-price players. True MKV chapter support was only given to the WD Live-SMP with the latest firmware update. Poster Techflaws is far more up on it than me since he is a heavy MKV user -- I don't use them at all.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6072 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Maybe for the $200+ crowd, but I don't think that is true for the mid-price players. True MKV chapter support was only given to the WD Live-SMP with the latest firmware update. Poster Techflaws is far more up on it than me since he is a heavy MKV user -- I don't use them at all.
Actually, the 99.00 Euro Xtreamer MK1 (released June 2009) supported chapter point navigation with 'movie only' .MKV and .ISO files

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6073 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
FYI for anyone using MakeMKV to go from blurays to MKV. I dedided to switch to Plex since BD Menus aren't a viable option anymore due to no players supporting it. I have a few thousand BDIsos and have been wanting to convert them to MKV. Its very time consuming of course.

Well I found a program that will Batch ISOs with MakeMKV to MKVs. It works very well and the author has actually fixed bugs and added features to it for me. You should check it out if your wanting to batch convert to MKVs.

Its called Movies2MKV. Here is a link to it. He is also posting in the MakeMKV forum but I didn't know if I could link that here.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...zV4M0lyZmVKbEk for a direct download. It does require Java and .Net.

If you got any feedback on it let the author know. I'm sure hes would appreciate it.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6074 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchy View Post
FYI for anyone using MakeMKV to go from blurays to MKV. I dedided to switch to Plex since BD Menus aren't a viable option anymore due to no players supporting it. I have a few thousand BDIsos and have been wanting to convert them to MKV. Its very time consuming of course.

Well I found a program that will Batch ISOs with MakeMKV to MKVs. It works very well and the author has actually fixed bugs and added features to it for me. You should check it out if your wanting to batch convert to MKVs.

Its called Movies2MKV. Here is a link to it. He is also posting in the MakeMKV forum but I didn't know if I could link that here.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...zV4M0lyZmVKbEk for a direct download. It does require Java and .Net.

If you got any feedback on it let the author know. I'm sure hes would appreciate it.
I don't have thousands(I think I'm still a little under 2K) but it seems like it would be easier just to keep them as ISOs. I know I don't plan on converting any of my BD ISOs. Besides I still have a couple of players that play full BD menus. But i will typically only use them with some of my TV, BD ISOs.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-25-2014 at 02:06 PM.
post #6075 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 02:09 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It seems like it would be easier just to keep them as ISOs. I know I don't plan on converting any of my BD ISOs. Besides I still have a couple of players that play full BD menus. But i will typically only use them with some of my TV, BD ISOs.
I'm going to agree, it is easier. Except players that play full menus eventually won't work with newer movies due to updates in the AACS and people like Dune will never release firmware for their players but once every 3 years. I'm thinking a head for soon we will be stuck either using menuless media players that have a terrible front end, or watching older movies on players that play menus but still have a terrible front end.

I've just decided to go with Plex. Its easy and auto updates itself nightly with new movies i put in the directory I store stuff. Then all of my players see the new movies, I can resume a movie easily from another room etc. I was hard core against Plex at first, but now i realize I might as well switch, no real reason to keep them ISO. I am currently keeping the original ISOs after i convert them in some hope things change though. But I personally have over 200TB so its easier for me to double store movies. Most people just will want one or the other.

DVDFabs media player does full menus and I know its not licensing AACS, It would be nice if they would let XBMC or another media player company use what they have done. It plays pretty damn well for being chinese stuff.
post #6076 of 6197 Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have ripped the movie than you have gotten rid of AACS and all other DRM protections. I don't know why you are concerned with it. The DVD Fab Player will play any ripped BD.iso that has had the protections removed. You need the licensed version if you want to play a BD with full menu support.

Note: DVD FAb website is completely deceptive. The player does not have a BDA license and depends on their decryption to play commercial disks. The US version of the player will no longer crack BD DRM. They don't tell you that and are selling the crippled player for the same price they sold it for before the legal issues. This is the same as they are doing with the rest of their software.

Buyer Beware.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 06-25-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #6077 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
My bad, I should have mentioned that I was talking about software players.
post #6078 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Smile

Quote:

Hope this clears it up.
Thanks I definitely learned something. Right now I have been using makemkv to rip my BD to an MKV file. Everything is removed (no menus). I am using WMC with MB3 to play the movies. I have MPC-HC (with madvr due to its excellent frame rate switching) as an external player for MB3. I have thought about just using PowerDVD 13 but it doesn't adjust the frame rate to 24p for MKV rips. PowerDVD will adjust for normal BD playback though. Anyhow, I was interested in trying out full ISO rips because it would be nice to have the ability to choose between extended version and theatrical version on a few of my BD movies (i.e. Avatar). Also, I like the chapter change graphic on some of the movies as well. I'm not sure if MPC-HC will allow full ISO movie playback (probably not) but I could always use PowerDVD (I wonder if I could use PowerDVD for ISO and MPC-HC for the minimal MKV rips?... Does MB3 support two external players and will it differentiate between the two sources?).

Currently I like the way that WMC 8.1 interacts with MB3. It seems like a flawless system so far. I have had no problems... the biggest bonus was the price of MB3 Plex seems like it would be a nice option as well. But considering that I paid a little extra for WMC 8.1 I am dedicated to utilizing it for the time being.

I am new to this and my library is very small. I only have a 4tb WD red and will eventually need to considering building a larger RAID array.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6079 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Note: DVD FAb website is completely deceptive. The player does not have a BDA license and depends on their decryption to play commercial disks. The US version of the player will no longer crack BD DRM. They don't tell you that and are selling the crippled player for the same price they sold it for before the legal issues. This is the same as they are doing with the rest of their software.

Buyer Beware.
Really, well just about any software media player utilizing LAV filters along with a 'pay-ware' application such as AnyDVD HD (‚ā¨63.00 per year) running in the back-ground can decrypt your Blu-ray and DVD discs. Or if you are in any other country except the USA DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray ($50.00 per year) will also do...

Sufficed to say... DVDFab media player offers the capability to work fine in every other country except the USA

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 06-27-2014 at 01:09 AM.
post #6080 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ripping 3D Blu-rays

I have been ripping 2D Blu-rays for some time using DVDFab, (currently using version 9.1.3.3), then using BD Clown tocheck for subtitles and then remuxing. However I am a newbie at 3D and a bit confused. When I used DVDFab on both Gravity and World War Z, I copy the main movie selecting the the regular 3D option (not SBS) get two m2ts files,
one which will play and appears to be the complete 2D movie (not just a segment) and another one which will not at least in VLC Player. If I try to remux them via tsMuxeR I just get the first file. What are the two files and what am I doing wrong?
post #6081 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
I have been ripping 2D Blu-rays for some time using DVDFab, (currently using version 9.1.3.3), then using BD Clown tocheck for subtitles and then remuxing. However I am a newbie at 3D and a bit confused. When I used DVDFab on both Gravity and World War Z, I copy the main movie selecting the the regular 3D option (not SBS) get two m2ts files,
one which will play and appears to be the complete 2D movie (not just a segment) and another one which will not at least in VLC Player. If I try to remux them via tsMuxeR I just get the first file. What are the two files and what am I doing wrong?
I believe 3D consist of 2 m2ts files (left eye and right eye). The SSIF file is what is used to play back as 3D

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #6082 of 6197 Old 06-26-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I believe 3D consist of 2 m2ts files (left eye and right eye). The SSIF file is what is used to play back as 3D
Thanks for the info. So what do I do to play these two files on my Popcorn Hour A-400. Do I need to combine them somehow?
post #6083 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. So what do I do to play these two files on my Popcorn Hour A-400. Do I need to combine them somehow?
You need to keep everything in the exact 3D Blu Ray folder/ISO structure, you can't pull these files out separately

Cheers,
Damian

post #6084 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
I have an A400 and for now I know of only 2 methods to get 3D to play: rip the full ISO (which is what I've been doing) or, earlier in this thread, is the post about how to rip just the 3D movie to mkv. I haven't tried that yet but I know the full ISO works fine.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #6085 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I have an A400 and for now I know of only 2 methods to get 3D to play: rip the full ISO (which is what I've been doing) or, earlier in this thread, is the post about how to rip just the 3D movie to mkv. I haven't tried that yet but I know the full ISO works fine.
The A400 now supports mvc mkvs?

Also, you can now use TSMuxer to create main movie only 3D Isos

Cheers,
Damian

post #6086 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
^^ That's what I meant - using TSMuxer to create an image (which further illustrates I have yet to try it!)

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #6087 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
^^ That's what I meant - using TSMuxer to create an image (which further illustrates I have yet to try it!)
Wryker

I was wondering if you had tried TSMuxer yet.

Rick
post #6088 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp-knight View Post
Wryker

I was wondering if you had tried TSMuxer yet.

Rick
I did test with 1 3D to create a main movie 3D ISO and it worked fine, just haven't had time to go through the rest of my collection.

Cheers,
Damian

post #6089 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
How would you go about taking a concert from a blu-ray disc and burning it to another blu-ray disc? I know how to use AnyDVD and rip the blu-ray to my hard drive but so what? All that does is give you a blu-ray file.

How do you transfer that to a blu-ray disc that you can watch in your home player?
post #6090 of 6197 Old 06-27-2014, 05:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Use a program to burn the ISO to a disc. Like ImgBurn.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page