post #6091 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357mag View Post
How would you go about taking a concert from a blu-ray disc and burning it to another blu-ray disc? I know how to use AnyDVD and rip the blu-ray to my hard drive but so what? All that does is give you a blu-ray file.

How do you transfer that to a blu-ray disc that you can watch in your home player?

Use the ANYDVDHD rip to image function which copies the entire disc to an ISO file and then use the free program IMGBurn to burn that ISO to a BD disc.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6092 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 05:24 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 318
From another thread I believe he wants to to select one title from a multi-title disc and make a new Blu-ray video.

-Bill
post #6093 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 594
I think ImgBurn allows you to create an image from files/folders. Otherwise an authoring program like Nero can also work.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6094 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
How would you go about taking a concert from a blu-ray disc and burning it to another blu-ray disc? I know how to use AnyDVD and rip the blu-ray to my hard drive but so what? All that does is give you a blu-ray file.

How do you transfer that to a blu-ray disc that you can watch in your home player?
If your goal is to watch the concert on a burned disc, why don't you just watch the original blu-ray disc?

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #6095 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post
If your goal is to watch the concert on a burned disc, why don't you just watch the original blu-ray disc?
Too much other stuff on the original disc. I would like to make my own disc that only contains just that specific concert.
post #6096 of 6194 Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Use the ANYDVDHD rip to image function which copies the entire disc to an ISO file and then use the free program IMGBurn to burn that ISO to a BD disc.
But is that correct? I don't want the contents of the entire disk. I want just the Paris concert. Just that file. Not an .iso of the entire disk.
post #6097 of 6194 Old 06-28-2014, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
But is that correct? I don't want the contents of the entire disk. I want just the Paris concert. Just that file. Not an .iso of the entire disk.
'Ok. In that case try TSMuxer. I haven't tried it yet but it's to allow you to rip JUST the 3D movie and it'll rip it to an ISO file so you can burn it to a BD Disc and/or use that ISO for you A400 (Popcorn Hour)

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #6098 of 6194 Old 06-29-2014, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
The A400 now supports mvc mkvs?

Also, you can now use TSMuxer to create main movie only 3D Isos
Thanks for your input regarding ripping 3D. I have now ripped several 3D movies cloning the whole disc to iso using DVDFab. All except one, World War Z, are working great. For some reason, W W Z plays only in 2D. I have ripped it twice and gotten the same thing. Any thoughts?
post #6099 of 6194 Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Thanks for your input regarding ripping 3D. I have now ripped several 3D movies cloning the whole disc to iso using DVDFab. All except one, World War Z, are working great. For some reason, W W Z plays only in 2D. I have ripped it twice and gotten the same thing. Any thoughts?
I would say just watch WWZ in 2D. The one thing that pissed me off about this title was that the 3D version is only the theatrical verison. I bought it specifically for the unrated version, but that is only in 2D. But I also think that the unrated version is the only one really worth watching. Since it makes it basically an R movie instead of the PG-13 rating the theatrical version has.

LED DLP

post #6100 of 6194 Old 06-30-2014, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
aaronwt, thanks for the feedback. There is something I don't understand though. I thought the DVDFab Clone/Burn option copied the entire disc, i.e. opening menu, warnings etc. What I am getting is an iso file that goes straight to the w w Z movie, perhaps the unrated one since it is in 2D. This acts more like I selected the Main Movie option rather than Clone/Burn. I am using DVDFab version 9.1.3.3. How do I get the whole disc?
post #6101 of 6194 Old 06-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Copy Mode > Full Disc or Copy Mode > Clone/Burn?

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #6102 of 6194 Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
aaronwt, thanks for the feedback. There is something I don't understand though. I thought the DVDFab Clone/Burn option copied the entire disc, i.e. opening menu, warnings etc. What I am getting is an iso file that goes straight to the w w Z movie, perhaps the unrated one since it is in 2D. This acts more like I selected the Main Movie option rather than Clone/Burn. I am using DVDFab version 9.1.3.3. How do I get the whole disc?
The 3D theatrical and 2D extended versions are on separate discs. At least it was with the 3D version I got from Amazon last year. If I remember correctly. This is another title I have misplaced. Along with the 3D version of Finding Nemo. Another reason I need to put the rest of these BD titles I have in storage so I can have shelf space for the newer titles I get.

LED DLP

post #6103 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I have been using makemkv to rip to a full quality MKV file. I recently discovered handbrake and took an MKV file that was 21GB and it brought it down to an astonishing 2.9GB... with that said, I really couldn't tell a difference in quality on my 60inch screen. Anybody feel the same way?

I bring this up for two reasons: 1) If the file that has gone through handbrake really isn't lower quality, than I could really be saving some space on my HD if I use handbrake 2) I am wondering if anyone knows if it is easier to get a better quality stream when you transcode from your server... in other words I would like to stream to my workplace via MB3 (but the stream seems to be choppy with the full BD rip MKV files).

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6104 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here we go again, this has been discussed ad nauseam if you read through this thread. If your happy with the way it looks then that's all that matters.
post #6105 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I have been using makemkv to rip to a full quality MKV file. I recently discovered handbrake and took an MKV file that was 21GB and it brought it down to an astonishing 2.9GB... with that said, I really couldn't tell a difference in quality on my 60inch screen. Anybody feel the same way?

I bring this up for two reasons: 1) If the file that has gone through handbrake really isn't lower quality, than I could really be saving some space on my HD if I use handbrake 2) I am wondering if anyone knows if it is easier to get a better quality stream when you transcode from your server... in other words I would like to stream to my workplace via MB3 (but the stream seems to be choppy with the full BD rip MKV files).

It is not the same quality. You may PERCEIVE the same quality but it isn't.
post #6106 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

WoW!! 2.9GB is lower than any DVD I ever shrunk down back in the early 2000's. All those were at least 4.7GB.

LED DLP

post #6107 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 11:18 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

This always turns into a strangely nasty debate. I don't know why. Apparently people can't stand it when people use procedures different from their own. It's implied criticism of some sort.

Resist, people! Please keep it technical, answer questions and be helpful.

The reduction achieved with HandBrake varies greatly depending on the title, even when using the same settings. Modern, grainless, CGI-heavy titles are capable of great compression: 8x or 9x. Older grainy titles may achieve just about nothing or 1.5x.

After some experimentation I use:

• Blu-ray: Normal profile, q=20
  • DVD: High profile, q=18

Reductions of 2-3x are common for DVD.

-Bill
post #6108 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
WoW!! 2.9GB is lower than any DVD I ever shrunk down back in the early 2000's. All those were at least 4.7GB.
Really? A BD shrunken to 2.9GB looks the same quality as the BD?
post #6109 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Perception is reality. If he can't tell the difference, then it doesn't matter.
post #6110 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
If you ever see me spending time trying to shrink 4.7Gb please shoot me.
post #6111 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 05:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
If you ever see me spending time trying to shrink 4.7Gb please shoot me.
Back in the early 2000's the idea was to shrink the dual layer DVD to a single layer DVD which was 4.7GB. I used to do it all the time back then. But in the early 2000's the only network content I used was my HD recordings. I made a bunch of HD recordings from 2001 to 2005(with my HiPix cards) and stored them on a networked PC I had setup with twelve drives and 3TB of storage(I still can't believe I paid almost $300 for each 250GB drive in that thing) . I didn't put any DVD content on the network storage. And then in 2005 I stopped watching DVDs completely and just threw out the hundreds of single layer discs I had. Since I couldn't stand watching the SD content from DVDs anymore. And was eagerly awaiting HD DVD and BD content coming out in 2006.

That is the reason I never got into network media playback with SD content. Since i had moved on in 2005. SO it wasn't until 2009 when I got a PCH C200 that I got into storing HD content, from the Blu-ray Discs, on my network.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-04-2014 at 05:45 PM.
post #6112 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc11369 View Post
Here we go again, this has been discussed ad nauseam if you read through this thread. If your happy with the way it looks then that's all that matters.
There are 6k plus posts on this thread. As you may imagine, that's a lot to read. It's inevitable that there will be redundancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Not helpful... I didn't say there is no difference, I said I cannot tell the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
This always turns into a strangely nasty debate. I don't know why. Apparently people can't stand it when people use procedures different from their own. It's implied criticism of some sort.

Resist, people! Please keep it technical, answer questions and be helpful.

The reduction achieved with HandBrake varies greatly depending on the title, even when using the same settings. Modern, grainless, CGI-heavy titles are capable of great compression: 8x or 9x. Older grainy titles may achieve just about nothing or 1.5x.

After some experimentation I use:

• Blu-ray: Normal profile, q=20
  • DVD: High profile, q=18

Reductions of 2-3x are common for DVD.

-Bill
Thank you Bill. I like the idea of saving space. I will run a few more through handbrake and elect to keep DTS-HD and see how much space that takes up. Any idea if it's easier to transcode a file that's compressed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Really? A BD shrunken to 2.9GB looks the same quality as the BD?
I'm not sure whose question this is... but I'm not debating about which looks better, I'm asking if people opt for this cause, according to my eyes, there doesn't seem to be a quality difference.
post #6113 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
I will run a few more through handbrake and elect to keep DTS-HD and see how much space that takes up.
The DTS-HD stream is 2.5-3.5GB itself.

I wonder if you misspoke when you said you compressed a BD to 2.9GB. Compressing a BD to 2.69 GB is simply not worth discussing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6114 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:

So many variables. The video can be taken down to that size if there are lots of solid colors (think animated movies), very dark movies, lots of fast moving scenes, very little grain (this is the most important), dropping resolution, increasing compression, tweaking other compressor params.

It can be done, but to say that all movies can be taken down to that level without any perceived loss in quality would be hard to believe.

If you're serious about encoding you should try your hand out and megui or cli as handbrake, afaik, doesn't allow you full control over x264 parameters.

P.S. Don't let all the anti-compression posts get to you, just ask your questions. I've learned that people that don't compress like to bash those that do. On this forum anyway.
post #6115 of 6194 Old 07-04-2014, 07:41 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I wonder if you misspoke when you said you compressed a BD to 2.9GB. Compressing a BD to 2.69 GB is simply not worth discussing.
Using the settings above, some recent films compress by a factor of 10x. It's not unreasonable that they would have been 29GB to begin with.

-Bill
post #6116 of 6194 Old 07-05-2014, 03:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I'm not sure whose question this is... but I'm not debating about which looks better, I'm asking if people opt for this cause, according to my eyes, there doesn't seem to be a quality difference.
There are conditions that affect whether one perceives a quality difference from native Blu-ray to some compressed version of it. Display size, display quality, viewing distance, vision quality and whether or not the movie is the main entertainment or is on in the background.

Of course, the amount of compression and the skill of the compressionist are also large factors.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 07-05-2014 at 04:38 AM.
post #6117 of 6194 Old 07-05-2014, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Perhaps, however, I used handbrake in its default settings (the only thing I changed was the container... from mp4 to mkv).
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
So many variables. The video can be taken down to that size if there are lots of solid colors (think animated movies), very dark movies, lots of fast moving scenes, very little grain (this is the most important), dropping resolution, increasing compression, tweaking other compressor params.

It can be done, but to say that all movies can be taken down to that level without any perceived loss in quality would be hard to believe.

If you're serious about encoding you should try your hand out and megui or cli as handbrake, afaik, doesn't allow you full control over x264 parameters.

P.S. Don't let all the anti-compression posts get to you, just ask your questions. I've learned that people that don't compress like to bash those that do. On this forum anyway.
The 3 movies I've done so far are "World War Z", "Toy Story 3", and "The Nut Job", so 2/3 are animated. However, all three compressed down to ~3GB.

I do believe there is a loss of quality, therefore I have been keeping both files (full BD rip and the encode) until I decide which is best. I originally tried encoding to put a few movies on my galaxy s5... now I'm more interested in transcoding from my MB3 server at home to my laptop remotely (like at work and hotels). I'm wondering if perhaps it's better to transcode the full ripped BD or to "remux" (this is what MB3 calls it) an encoded movie? The bitrate gets reduced after encoding so I'm assuming it's better to stream encoded movies?
post #6118 of 6194 Old 07-05-2014, 02:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010
.... galaxy s5... laptop remotely (like at work and hotels)...
This is starting to make sense ....
post #6119 of 6194 Old 07-05-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would think it would just be easier to do the full rip and throw it on a flash drive or a USB powered hard drive. Then connect that up to playback the ISo or MKV on the laptop. At least this is what I've done in the past. But I just want to rip a title and be done with it. I don't want to spend a bunch of time dealing with it. And since the portable drives are small and inexpensive for a lot of storage, it makes it easy to bring with me. Then it can be played back from a laptop/netbook or a media player like a boxee box or netgear or whatever can play the content back. You just connect the HDMI out to the TV and watch.

LED DLP

post #6120 of 6194 Old 07-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Perhaps, however, I used handbrake in its default settings (the only thing I changed was the container... from mp4 to mkv).

The 3 movies I've done so far are "World War Z", "Toy Story 3", and "The Nut Job", so 2/3 are animated. However, all three compressed down to ~3GB.

I do believe there is a loss of quality, therefore I have been keeping both files (full BD rip and the encode) until I decide which is best. I originally tried encoding to put a few movies on my galaxy s5... now I'm more interested in transcoding from my MB3 server at home to my laptop remotely (like at work and hotels). I'm wondering if perhaps it's better to transcode the full ripped BD or to "remux" (this is what MB3 calls it) an encoded movie? The bitrate gets reduced after encoding so I'm assuming it's better to stream encoded movies?

Last I looked, handbrake defaulted to q 0.5 multichannel AAC. Also I think that it also resized by default instead of just cropping and keeping full resolution?

As someone said earlier, it's probably easier to just rip to iso and put it on a mobile drive if your end game will be watching it on a laptop. You will have to encode for your mobile device though.

*If I remember to, I will check out the file size for wwZ when I get home to see how well it compressed.

Last edited by DotJun; 07-05-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: add
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page