Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 206 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 6160 Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm officially annoyed. I'm able to encode MKV to MKV (it plays fine via MPC-HC) but still no encode from MKV to MP4 (error code). It was working this morning but gave up on me. Any ideas?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6160 Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm officially annoyed. I'm able to encode MKV to MKV (it plays fine via MPC-HC) but still no encode from MKV to MP4 (error code). It was working this morning but gave up on me. Any ideas?
There is a free utility called mediainfo. Get the text output for (1) the original MKV file, (2) the MKV from HandBrake, and (3) the MP4 from HandBrake.

I believe mkvmerge will accept MP4 input and produce MKV output. It would be interesting to see if the resulting MKV plays. That would indicate a problem with the MP4 container, or lack of support for certain codecs or options in that container.

-Bill
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6153 of 6160 Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
How big are the .mp4 files when you are done? If they are lager than 4GB, then you'll have to enable large file support or they won't playback on anything.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6154 of 6160 Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There is a free utility called mediainfo. Get the text output for (1) the original MKV file, (2) the MKV from HandBrake, and (3) the MP4 from HandBrake.

I believe mkvmerge will accept MP4 input and produce MKV output. It would be interesting to see if the resulting MKV plays. That would indicate a problem with the MP4 container, or lack of support for certain codecs or options in that container.

-Bill
Thanks for your response but I'm thinking smitbret hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
How big are the .mp4 files when you are done? If they are lager than 4GB, then you'll have to enable large file support or they won't playback on anything.
Thank you thank you. This has to be the solution (tried encoding on my HTPC vs laptop with same results).

Avatar was 10GB and Man of Steel was 9GB. Perhaps I can try to get smaller? (What setting do I adjust on handbrake?)
post #6155 of 6160 Old Today, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
As mentioned previously by Bill. Please run your 'problem' .MP4 file through an application called MediaInfo set to text mode. And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
post #6156 of 6160 Old Today, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Thank you thank you. This has to be the solution (tried encoding on my HTPC vs laptop with same results).

Avatar was 10GB and Man of Steel was 9GB. Perhaps I can try to get smaller? (What setting do I adjust on handbrake?)
There is a Large File MP4 checkbox in Handbrake. The problem is described in the FAQ: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#fourgb

-Bill
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6157 of 6160 Old Today, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
As mentioned previously by Bill. Please run your 'problem' .MP4 file through an application called MediaInfo set to text mode. And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?
Thanks for your help, however, the large file checkbox did the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There is a Large File MP4 checkbox in Handbrake. The problem is described in the FAQ: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#fourgb

-Bill
Thanks for your advice... this is precisely what was the issue. Avatar compressed nicely down to 10GB from 37GB. I'm thinking that is a very huge encode, however, the video looks decent so I may keep it for my tablets.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Last edited by jhughy2010; Today at 09:37 AM.
post #6158 of 6160 Old Today, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 170
What version of Handbrake are you using? I haven't seen that Large File check box in quite a few releases. A lot of those configurations are done automatically now. If you're running v 0.9.9 or newer I'd be confused as to why you have that check box and I don't...
post #6159 of 6160 Old Today, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
What version of Handbrake are you using? I haven't seen that Large File check box in quite a few releases. A lot of those configurations are done automatically now. If you're running v 0.9.9 or newer I'd be confused as to why you have that check box and I don't...
It's there, right below the Destination field, v0.9.9.5530.
post #6160 of 6160 Old Today, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 170
I had the nightly builds installed on my C: drive and I uninstalled and installed 0.9.9.5530 yesterday. Apparently when I did that some or all of the settings/GUI configuration carried over from the nightly. I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and still didn't have the Large File check box. I uninstalled and installed to D: instead and there it is. I see the check box now. Very strange considering it deletes everything out of the program files folder. So it's just the nightly builds that don't have that check box. Sorry for the confusion
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page