Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 206 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6151 of 6480 Old 07-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm officially annoyed. I'm able to encode MKV to MKV (it plays fine via MPC-HC) but still no encode from MKV to MP4 (error code). It was working this morning but gave up on me. Any ideas?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6152 of 6480 Old 07-11-2014, 07:29 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I'm officially annoyed. I'm able to encode MKV to MKV (it plays fine via MPC-HC) but still no encode from MKV to MP4 (error code). It was working this morning but gave up on me. Any ideas?
There is a free utility called mediainfo. Get the text output for (1) the original MKV file, (2) the MKV from HandBrake, and (3) the MP4 from HandBrake.

I believe mkvmerge will accept MP4 input and produce MKV output. It would be interesting to see if the resulting MKV plays. That would indicate a problem with the MP4 container, or lack of support for certain codecs or options in that container.

-Bill
jhughy2010 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6153 of 6480 Old 07-11-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
How big are the .mp4 files when you are done? If they are lager than 4GB, then you'll have to enable large file support or they won't playback on anything.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6154 of 6480 Old 07-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There is a free utility called mediainfo. Get the text output for (1) the original MKV file, (2) the MKV from HandBrake, and (3) the MP4 from HandBrake.

I believe mkvmerge will accept MP4 input and produce MKV output. It would be interesting to see if the resulting MKV plays. That would indicate a problem with the MP4 container, or lack of support for certain codecs or options in that container.

-Bill
Thanks for your response but I'm thinking smitbret hit the nail on the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
How big are the .mp4 files when you are done? If they are lager than 4GB, then you'll have to enable large file support or they won't playback on anything.
Thank you thank you. This has to be the solution (tried encoding on my HTPC vs laptop with same results).

Avatar was 10GB and Man of Steel was 9GB. Perhaps I can try to get smaller? (What setting do I adjust on handbrake?)
post #6155 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
As mentioned previously by Bill. Please run your 'problem' .MP4 file through an application called MediaInfo set to text mode. And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |
post #6156 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 05:44 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:

Thank you thank you. This has to be the solution (tried encoding on my HTPC vs laptop with same results).

Avatar was 10GB and Man of Steel was 9GB. Perhaps I can try to get smaller? (What setting do I adjust on handbrake?)
There is a Large File MP4 checkbox in Handbrake. The problem is described in the FAQ: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#fourgb

-Bill
jhughy2010 likes this.

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6157 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
As mentioned previously by Bill. Please run your 'problem' .MP4 file through an application called MediaInfo set to text mode. And post what it reports, IN FULL as a text (.txt) file?
Thanks for your help, however, the large file checkbox did the trick.

Quote:
There is a Large File MP4 checkbox in Handbrake. The problem is described in the FAQ: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/SupportFAQ#fourgb

-Bill
Thanks for your advice... this is precisely what was the issue. Avatar compressed nicely down to 10GB from 37GB. I'm thinking that is a very huge encode, however, the video looks decent so I may keep it for my tablets.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

Last edited by jhughy2010; 07-12-2014 at 09:37 AM.
post #6158 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
What version of Handbrake are you using? I haven't seen that Large File check box in quite a few releases. A lot of those configurations are done automatically now. If you're running v 0.9.9 or newer I'd be confused as to why you have that check box and I don't...

post #6159 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
What version of Handbrake are you using? I haven't seen that Large File check box in quite a few releases. A lot of those configurations are done automatically now. If you're running v 0.9.9 or newer I'd be confused as to why you have that check box and I don't...
It's there, right below the Destination field, v0.9.9.5530.
post #6160 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

I had the nightly builds installed on my C: drive and I uninstalled and installed 0.9.9.5530 yesterday. Apparently when I did that some or all of the settings/GUI configuration carried over from the nightly. I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and still didn't have the Large File check box. I uninstalled and installed to D: instead and there it is. I see the check box now. Very strange considering it deletes everything out of the program files folder. So it's just the nightly builds that don't have that check box. Sorry for the confusion

post #6161 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had the nightly builds installed on my C: drive and I uninstalled and installed 0.9.9.5530 yesterday. Apparently when I did that some or all of the settings/GUI configuration carried over from the nightly. I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times and still didn't have the Large File check box. I uninstalled and installed to D: instead and there it is. I see the check box now. Very strange considering it deletes everything out of the program files folder. So it's just the nightly builds that don't have that check box. Sorry for the confusion
I'm just curious but why did you opt to not use the nightly build? So far it is working ok for me I am on my third encode using H264 QSV. Only "Life of Pi" failed on me but I'm not sure why that happened. Trying it again soon (it's now at the end of my queue).

Theater set-up:  

post #6162 of 6480 Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is there any free software that allows you to identify discs that have seamless branching files? I used to use dvdfab passkey with bdinfo but the passkey was only a 30 day trial. Bdinfo wont work without software like slysoft anydvd. It helps to streamline ripping if i know there are multiple m2ts files before i rip. Thanks
post #6163 of 6480 Old 07-13-2014, 04:14 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Is there any free software that allows you to identify discs that have seamless branching files? I used to use dvdfab passkey with bdinfo but the passkey was only a 30 day trial. Bdinfo wont work without software like slysoft anydvd. It helps to streamline ripping if i know there are multiple m2ts files before i rip. Thanks
Is it enough to see that the playlist has multiple M2TS files? MakeMKV will do that. You click on the various components of the title and it will display info about them.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6164 of 6480 Old 07-13-2014, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Is it enough to see that the playlist has multiple M2TS files? MakeMKV will do that. You click on the various components of the title and it will display info about them.

-Bill
Didnt know makemkv will do that. Gotta give it another look. Thanks
post #6165 of 6480 Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm just curious but why did you opt to not use the nightly build? So far it is working ok for me I am on my third encode using H264 QSV. Only "Life of Pi" failed on me but I'm not sure why that happened. Trying it again soon (it's now at the end of my queue).
I use the nightly builds for most things but it has some weird banding issue with VC-1. So I switched back to the .9.9 release to re-encode VC-1. I typically use Ripbot for VC-1 content but didn't have it setup.

post #6166 of 6480 Old 07-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I use the nightly builds for most things but it has some weird banding issue with VC-1. So I switched back to the .9.9 release to re-encode VC-1. I typically use Ripbot for VC-1 content but didn't have it setup.
Do either of those apps allow you to encode to 10bit? That will help out your banding issue.
post #6167 of 6480 Old 07-14-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Do either of those apps allow you to encode to 10bit? That will help out your banding issue.
Personally, I would not recommend doing this...

If at some time, you decide to play your 10-bit encodes using a hardware media player (ie: STB, Blu-ray player, Smart TV, etc) - they wont work.

EDIT: Any software media player which offers GPU decoding, won't decode 10-bit encodes using the GPU. They will decode using the CPU.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 |

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 07-15-2014 at 07:12 AM.
post #6168 of 6480 Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
No idea. They are still working out issues with the decoder. Not a concern since I should be using Ripbot for VC-1 anyway.

post #6169 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Anyone looked at Grand Budapest? Makemkv reports 4 titles with different "angles" to choose from. All are the same MPLS file but different segment maps. Makemkv chose the first one by default and unchecked the others. Normally it doesn't uncheck anything for me by default. How do I know what to choose?

post #6170 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiaudio2 View Post
Anyone looked at Grand Budapest? Makemkv reports 4 titles with different "angles" to choose from. All are the same MPLS file but different segment maps. Makemkv chose the first one by default and unchecked the others. Normally it doesn't uncheck anything for me by default. How do I know what to choose?
I ripped this last night using ClownBD. It lists the m2ts files that make up each angle. I looked for where the files differed, and played those m2ts files to see. The angles are used for different languages for the on-screen text (credits, newspaper headlines). The first one is English.

This is the first movie I've seen with multiple angles like that, and I've ripped 1400+. Usually (Disney) they use multiple playlists instead of one playlist with multiple angles.
post #6171 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Perfect, thanks!

post #6172 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
Been ripping my DVD and Blu-rays for years and went back to re-rip my Blu-ray so i can have the HD track. Does anyone know if it's possible to have everything unchecked after it initially reads the disc with makeMKV?
Yes

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #6173 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedragger View Post
Been ripping my DVD and Blu-rays for years and went back to re-rip my Blu-ray so i can have the HD track. Does anyone know if it's possible to have everything unchecked after it initially reads the disc with makeMKV?
Since you only got a simple "yes" answer I'll provide the instructions

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1377
kneedragger likes this.

Theater set-up:  

post #6174 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Since you only got a simple "yes" answer I'll provide the instructions

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1377
Thanks!
post #6175 of 6480 Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Personally, I would not recommend doing this...

If at some time, you decide to play your 10-bit encodes using a hardware media player (ie: STB, Blu-ray player, Smart TV, etc) - they wont work.

EDIT: Any software media player which offers GPU decoding, won't decode 10-bit encodes using the GPU. They will decode using the CPU.

I'm pretty sure he breaks hardware compatibility with his choice of encoding parameters anyway so he might as well go 10 bit to make it look even better while also compressing even more.
post #6176 of 6480 Old 07-19-2014, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Having recently put all my CDs losslessly onto a hard drive, I thought I would investigate doing this with my blus.

However, I have 1200 blus and I find new ones that I want just about every week.

So am I right to think if I wanted to do this I would need 40Tb of hard drives and it would take countless hours and after putting say $2000 into it I would have ,... Well,... More or less pretty much what I had to begin with.

I'm interested but it really doesn't seem worth it.
post #6177 of 6480 Old 07-19-2014, 07:01 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Having recently put all my CDs losslessly onto a hard drive, I thought I would investigate doing this with my blus.

However, I have 1200 blus and I find new ones that I want just about every week.

So am I right to think if I wanted to do this I would need 40Tb of hard drives and it would take countless hours and after putting say $2000 into it I would have ,... Well,... More or less pretty much what I had to begin with.

If you look at it as a task that must be started and completed, then that is daunting indeed. But assemble the server and then rip your new purchases as they are acquired. And rip your existing titles just in advance of you wanting to watch them. Or do 10-20 at a time ... from your go to titles that you watch repeatedly. Aren't there *some* titles that you never or rarely watch? If so, rip them last or not at all until you want to watch them. IOW, break down the daunting task into smaller easy to digest bites and prioritize.

Or sequester yourself in your room with several cartons of K-cups and don't come out until you are done.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 07-19-2014 at 07:07 AM.
post #6178 of 6480 Old 07-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If i do it I imagine I will start with tv series. Stuff like lost is in packaging I don't like and also that way you watch however many episodes you like whenever.

I am still interested,... Maybe I'll just start small and grow.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6179 of 6480 Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
If i do it I imagine I will start with tv series. Stuff like lost is in packaging I don't like and also that way you watch however many episodes you like whenever.

I am still interested,... Maybe I'll just start small and grow.
If you have not already, read the first post. I don't rip TV series ... don't have any, but from what I read here they can require more fussing.

In any case, after post #1 help is here!

Jeff
post #6180 of 6480 Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:

WHen I initially ripped the hundreds of BD ISOs I had, I used a Windows Home Server. I had four or five BD drives connected to it. All I had to do was stick the disc in and the server ripped it, created a folder, added cover art etc.(This was inconjunction with "My Movies" software and Any DVD HD.) So when I left for work I put discs in and when I came home from worked I removed those and put new discs in. After several weeks I had ripped all my my titles. There is no way I would have wanted to manually do this with each title from a PC. This setup worked great for me. But this was also back in 2009/2010 so I don't know what is available now like this.
StratmanX likes this.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page