Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 207 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6181 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Hampton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 6,679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have already converted all my CDs to lossless files and with 300-ish ... they fit on a 500GB hard drive with room to spare so the whole process was so much easier than I imagne it will be with my Blu.

I will "start" with my small remaining DVDs... I never keep DVDs when I get a blu ray... (I don't care about special features--- just personally) The DVDs will be easier for one thing because I have so few left.

I'm still unsure about the Blus ... seems like I would need a very nice NAS setup ... if I wanted to rip all of them ... I suppose the end result would rival Kaliedescape ... sort of ... could be fun .. time will tell.
Brian Hampton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6182 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
There are CDs with lossless audio?
Gary J is offline  
post #6183 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 1,638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
There are CDs with lossless audio?
The audio on all commercially produced audio CD's is classed as 'lossless' ie: 2Ch LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulated) audio sampled at 44.1KHz with a 16-bit quantization sample depth
Marc Wielage likes this.

I SUPPORT 'FAIR USE'. MY MORALS PREVENT ME FROM HELPING ANYONE WHO OBTAINS COPYRIGHTED CONTENT ILLEGITIMATELY
I've been testing hardware media playback devices and software A/V encoders and decoders since 2001 | My Network Layout and A/V Gear
SeeMoreDigital is online now  
post #6184 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I have already converted all my CDs to lossless files and with 300-ish ... they fit on a 500GB hard drive with room to spare so the whole process was so much easier than I imagne it will be with my Blu.

I will "start" with my small remaining DVDs... I never keep DVDs when I get a blu ray... (I don't care about special features--- just personally) The DVDs will be easier for one thing because I have so few left.

I'm still unsure about the Blus ... seems like I would need a very nice NAS setup ... if I wanted to rip all of them ... I suppose the end result would rival Kaliedescape ... sort of ... could be fun .. time will tell.
A tower with nine front bays, three 5-in-3 cages (or six bays/two cages), a simple mobo with an i3 processor and unRAID. Add drives as needed. Ofhers will recommend other OS solutions, or maybe a more robust CPU. Movies, stripped of all "extras" consumes ~25GB. Dunno about TV shows.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
post #6185 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The audio on all commercially produced audio CD's is classed as 'lossless' ie: 2Ch LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulated) audio sampled at 44.1KHz with a 16-bit quantization sample depth
Gary?
pepar is offline  
post #6186 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Gary J is offline  
post #6187 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
The audio on all commercially produced audio CD's is classed as 'lossless' ie: 2Ch LPCM (Linear Pulse Code Modulated) audio sampled at 44.1KHz with a 16-bit quantization sample depth
I know that sample rates and resolution can be changed when encoding to PCM, is this what you mean by compression?

Afaik, audio cd's used PCM while video discs used LPCM?
DotJun is offline  
post #6188 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 06:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Marc Wielage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
There are CDs with lossless audio?
Lossless in that there is no loss from compression. One can argue whether a non-compressed format is lossless, but I think you're arguing semantics.

I believe I've seen arguments on this topic on the net going back to 2000, so you're not the first pedant to bring this up.
Marc Wielage is online now  
post #6189 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Lossless in that there is no loss from compression. One can argue whether a non-compressed format is lossless, but I think you're arguing semantics.



I believe I've seen arguments on this topic on the net going back to 2000, so you're not the first pedant to bring this up.

I thought PCM was 1:1 from its source material? Please correct me if I'm wrong and also provide a link so I can better educate myself [emoji4]
DotJun is offline  
post #6190 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 08:35 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 24,932
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Afaik, audio cd's used PCM while video discs used LPCM?
They are the same. The "L" is dropped, but it is all linear pulse code modulation.
pepar is offline  
post #6191 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
... you're not the first pedant to bring this up.
Use of any form of the word 'pedant' is pedantic.
StratmanX is offline  
post #6192 of 6194 Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Marc Wielage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
Use of any form of the word 'pedant' is pedantic.
Exactly! Although I generally try to be didactic, rather than pedantic.
StratmanX likes this.
Marc Wielage is online now  
post #6193 of 6194 Old 07-20-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,582
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
Lossless in that there is no loss from compression. One can argue whether a non-compressed format is lossless, but I think you're arguing semantics.

I believe I've seen arguments on this topic on the net going back to 2000, so you're not the first pedant to bring this up.
You might also consider use of the term "arguing".
Gary J is offline  
post #6194 of 6194 Old 07-20-2014, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Marc Wielage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northridge, CA
Posts: 346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
You might also consider use of the term "arguing".
Considered and discarded. Sometimes, the right word is the right word.
Marc Wielage is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off