AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Thanks. I have more things to research.

Re the i5 over i3 ... i3 a bit on the weak side for your workload?

Jeff
No, the i3 is not at all weak and runs the server apps quite well. The built-in Intel graphics on the i3 can play a 40Mbps BD rip without a hint of stutter. The i5 is just more muscle with a quad-core and I like more muscle. When I got done putting together the system with all the disk drives etc I was in for about $11-1200. It then seemed silly that I skimped on the $60 it would have cost to put in an i5. I won't make that "mistake" with the next box.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I'm triple posting now... Guess I need to look for the WD live mentioned... I need something that will playback the backed up files I made in a robust manor but without any un-needed manipulation....

I hope this can be done... I'm a bit discouraged though ... really....
You seem to be skirting around the solid solutions. Get a real media player. The WDTV Live, Mede8er, Dune -- these are all established media streamers that handle full bitrate BD rips in MKV, .m2ts, .iso, whatever. You you get 1080p/24 and HD audio passthrough and you don't transcode anything to these because they play everything native. They work with DLNA servers or as direct network clients using your choice of SMB or NFS shares. I favor the WDTV Lives as I noted in my post above. They cost under $100 and beat everything in their price class unless you are into 3D in which case you go with the mede8er.

Last thing -- if you want to stream full bitrate BD's don't even think wireless.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6213 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
No, the i3 is not at all weak and runs the server apps quite well. The built-in Intel graphics on the i3 can play a 40Mbps BD rip without a hint of stutter. The i5 is just more muscle with a quad-core and I like more muscle. When I got done putting together the system with all the disk drives etc I was in for about $11-1200. It then seemed silly that I skimped on the $60 it would have cost to put in an i5. I won't make that "mistake" with the next box.
Ahhh, my basement server will only serve. Not even transcode. Two BD or DSD/MLP streams max. I was headed to an i3, so I guess I still am.

Thanks,
Jeff
post #6214 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I would have preferred an i3 for the lower power usage. I picked up a Dell Core i5 PC last Thanksgiving for under $400 with 8GB of memory. I just put in a couple of BD drives for rips, 8GB more of memory, a 180GB SSD for the OS, and a 4TB drive for my recordings and IP camera clips. I use it for my Blue Iris/TiVo Desktop Server. I would have preferred the Core i3 for lower power since it runs 24/7 but it would have cost me around $150 more back then. But still at 42 to 45 watts the PC running the core i5 isn't too much of a power hog. Especially when compared to the quad core AMD PC it replaced that used over 120 watts.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6215 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am curious which is the currently best BR drive for ripping that is readily available?
Ideally with no or minor riplock concerns?

Thanks,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #6216 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Well,....

I did some more testing and I do believe I've made a cost club sized mistake. I took my Mac Mini down to the HT and used it to view one of the MKVs I made ... it choked quite a bit here and there.

Point being a thousand dollar computer can't play back the files like a $40 Blu Ray player would.

-Brian
I think it's more illustrative of the limitations of the Mac Mini as an HTPC. Or perhaps an inadequate network (were you attempting wireless?). I have several sub-four hundred dollar PCs (latest one is a Celeron 1900) fed by a $150 Seagate NAS that all handle BluRay rips (to MKV) just fine. I also have 2 HDHomeRun Primes on the network.
post #6217 of 6217 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
I think it's more illustrative of the limitations of the Mac Mini. Or perhaps an inadequate network. I have several sub-four hundred dollar PCs (latest one is a Celeron 1900) fed by a $150 Seagate NAS that all handle BluRay rips (to MKV) just fine. I also have 2 HDHomeRun Primes on the network.
YEs. Even my old Netbook can handle my BD rips from my unRAIDs without difficulty.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread