Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 211 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6301 of 6303 Unread 08-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm doing this out of curiosity about the progress of H.265 encoders. Which is why I'm avoiding animated clips as I suspect they're less challenging for encoders. If you're planning on actually using this, I suspect leaving the original file untouched is the best option followed by transcoding to H.264.

The file I mentioned above I coverted to H.265 again (same bitrate and format as above), this time using VLC; it didn't offer a choice of profiles. Took 28 minutes and produced a 35% smaller file. Even VLC itself won't play the video probably because the FourCC is hvc1 (Handbrake and MediaCoder are using hev1)

Next up: Try uncompressed 1080p AVI clip of 1 minute or so, if I can find such a thing on the web.

Last edited by mike_carton; Yesterday at 04:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6302 of 6303 Unread 08-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
I'm doing this out of curiosity about the progress of H.265 encoders. Which is why I'm avoiding animated clips as I suspect they're less challenging for encoders. If you're planning on actually using this, I suspect leaving the original file untouched is the best option followed by transcoding to H.264.

The file I mentioned above I coverted to H.265 again (same bitrate and format as above), this time using VLC; it didn't offer a choice of profiles. Took 28 minutes and produced a 35% smaller file. Even VLC itself won't play the video probably because the FourCC is hvc1 (Handbrake and MediaEncoder are using hev1)

Next up: Try uncompressed 1080p AVI clip of 1 minute or so, if I can find such a thing on the web.
Nice! Keep experimenting and report back.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6303 of 6303 Unread Yesterday, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The tool I've been trying out is MediaCoder, not MediaEncoder. Will edit the previous posts to reflect that.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com