post #6331 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
The major dis-advantage is the possibility of having to re-do 100+ movies... and also the mess of trying to salvage data from a bad drive .. I guess that's not really a big deal though is it... maybe when the drive if found to be faulty I can save 80% or more of the data ....

=Brian
I have 1500+ movies with no RAID. I do a weekly long self-test (via SMART) and replace a disk ASAP if the self-test fails for any reason. I've had several HDDs get read errors but I've only had to re-rip one movie. The other times, the data would eventually read successfully (if very slowly).

Keep in mind that RAID is really intended for high availability, not backup. There are many failure scenarios with RAID that could result in the loss of the entire pool. With individual disks, it's easy to take one disk and move it to another system, if necessary to get the data.
Brian Hampton likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6332 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
That is just my thought process on the whole subject of server and transcoding. I can tell you that when my HTPC's i5-4440 is transcoding to my phone over the cellular network (I experimented) all the cores of the i5 were maxed out at 100%. This shouldn't be the case over the home network though. But to my dismay it is in regards to transcoding to my laptop (just checked). The thought was that UNC paths reduced server resources but that obviously is not the case. Anyhow, there is no transcoding when I am watching movies on my HTPC so I'm too concerned.
With an i5 that sounds like a bit much. Have you messed with your transcoder settings? It might be trying to transcode the whole movie in one go, but you can adjust so that it takes a break every (enter the amount of time you select) seconds.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6333 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 02:46 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Do you mean that you now have to download a separate program to bypass encryption?
You have always needed a "separate" program to defeat encryption. They have been DVDFab, AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV. DVDFab has had legal entanglements, so except for those who have purchased a lifetime subscription, renewal time might be a good time to bail.

Edit: You need a "separate" program UNLESS you use DVDFab for everything. Most/many here use Clown BD and an array of free utilities.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 08-26-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #6334 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
With an i5 that sounds like a bit much. Have you messed with your transcoder settings? It might be trying to transcode the whole movie in one go, but you can adjust so that it takes a break every (enter the amount of time you select) seconds.
I'll have to check that out

edit: I checked on my dashboard (MB3) and under transcoding I have it set to "auto". I'm assuming that this yields the best balance as far as quality and speed?

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Last edited by jhughy2010; 08-26-2014 at 05:52 PM.
post #6335 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
That the .h265 discussion added nothing relating to the forum topic "Ripping Blu-Rays II". The conversation was certainly not without merit but had just started dragging and was diluting more relevant posts.
Even though it doesn't add to the exact subject of "ripping" it is related none the less... besides, there are other "discussions" on this thread that aren't precisely relating to "ripping".
mike_carton likes this.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #6336 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 07:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Even though it doesn't add to the exact subject of "ripping" it is related none the less... besides, there are other "discussions" on this thread that aren't precisely relating to "ripping".
Any that go on for pages?

I'm just sayin'

Jeff
post #6337 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Re-encoding has nothing to do with Ripping Blu-rays," period. I would be in favor of a thread dedicated to "re-encoding" ...

My $.02.

Jeff
Quote:
That the .h265 discussion added nothing relating to the forum topic "Ripping Blu-Rays II". The conversation was certainly not without merit but had just started dragging and was diluting more relevant posts.

I suggest you two re-read the OP. It clearly states Handbrake as a topic of discussion for this thread.
mike_carton likes this.
post #6338 of 6357 Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techmattr View Post
I suggest you two re-read the OP. It clearly states Handbrake as a topic of discussion for this thread.
You're right and I am wrong.

Let the tedium continue!

Jeff
post #6339 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Let the tedium continue!

Jeff
LOL, I suppose that I could use it for when I am having a hard time sleeping at night.
pepar likes this.
post #6340 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

Let the tedium continue!

Jeff
I sense a bit of sarcasm. Just sayin... it only incites a bickering battle to chastise people and tell them to make their own thread for discussion of relevant topics per the OP. If someone reads the OP where re-encoding is a discussion topic and then you flame them for discussing it they are only going to take your comments as flame bait or trolling. If you want a thread dedicated to only ripping discussion then you should make one instead of telling other people to do so. I'm just making an honest suggestion. These dedicated and very specific threads keeps getting suggested but I never see anyone actually create and support one....
mike_carton and jhughy2010 like this.
post #6341 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
You have always needed a "separate" program to defeat encryption. They have been DVDFab, AnyDVD HD and MakeMKV. DVDFab has had legal entanglements, so except for those who have purchased a lifetime subscription, renewal time might be a good time to bail.

Edit: You need a "separate" program UNLESS you use DVDFab for everything. Most/many here use Clown BD and an array of free utilities.

Jeff
I guess you haven't freshly downloaded DVDfab lately... though you do seem aware of their legal entanglements. I had to download a new copy on my HTPC. Based on a recent NY case, they are now forbidden from selling any software in the U.S. that bypasses encryption. Their workaround, vague as it was, was to suggest downloading either anyDVD (I think) or some other software. That some other software was an add-on to DVDfab that bypassed the encryption.

Quote:
You have always needed a "separate" program to defeat encryption.
Ya don't say!

Last edited by javanpohl; 08-27-2014 at 03:24 PM.
post #6342 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you want a thread dedicated to only ripping discussion then you should make one instead of telling other people to do so.
Just make sure you name it something un-ambiguous. How about "ripping blu-rays"?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6343 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
I sense a bit of sarcasm. Just sayin... it only incites a bickering battle to chastise people and tell them to make their own thread for discussion of relevant topics per the OP. If someone reads the OP where re-encoding is a discussion topic and then you flame them for discussing it they are only going to take your comments as flame bait or trolling. If you want a thread dedicated to only ripping discussion then you should make one instead of telling other people to do so. I'm just making an honest suggestion. These dedicated and very specific threads keeps getting suggested but I never see anyone actually create and support one....
I have reread the first page a couple of times and I guess I am missing the "Thread Guidelines". All I see is a casual mention of Handbrake as a tool the OP uses. In fact, I thought he pretty clearly avoided mentioning re encoding and only casually mentioned that it could ALSO be used to convert for your iPad.

I don't mind the conversation about .h265 (there will always be brief tangents) it just continued on and on and never came back to topical subject matter. It just diluted the actual conversations about actually ripping Blu-Rays.
post #6344 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have reread the first page a couple of times and I guess I am missing the "Thread Guidelines". All I see is a casual mention of Handbrake as a tool the OP uses. In fact, I thought he pretty clearly avoided mentioning re encoding and only casually mentioned that it could ALSO be used to convert for your iPad.

I don't mind the conversation about .h265 (there will always be brief tangents) it just continued on and on and never came back to topical subject matter. It just diluted the actual conversations about actually ripping Blu-Rays.
I think we all see your point... however, ripping BD films to a hard drive is just one step of the a users process in getting that "media" to a point where they can thoroughly enjoy it. For me, I rip the movie to my laptop hard drive to a folder that will eventually be offloaded to my HTPC server (untouched copy of the MKV file) and then I also immediately take the same file and make an x264 copy of the file with stereo sound for an external hard drive (for traveling and so forth).

My point is... BD ripping and re encoding are so closely related that it is almost synonymous with BD ripping. In fact, DVDfab can rip the movie and re-encode the movie all at the same time (at least that is how I remember it doing things during my one month trial with the product before the feds shut them down).

I think most would agree, re encoding is a topic that can easily be discussed in a thread titled "BD ripping" even if the topic drags on for several pages (God forbid).

Theater set-up:  

post #6345 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
My suggestion was not only for the benefit of those here ... many, most? ... that don't even know what H.265 is, but for those who are deep in the weeds with the HEVC. Re that, do you think that the only people who are working withit are on this thread and a dedicated thread wouldn't attract more? If so,then again I am mistaken. I do not think that is the case, and yes that was a large dollop of sarcasm in my "tedium" comment.

That's my second $.02 on this and my last.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 08-27-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #6346 of 6357 Old 08-27-2014, 08:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 667
So when will HEVC capable media players be released? Have they announced a chip with HEVC decoding that the media players would use? I mean real media players that play many different type of content and BD ISOs.

Of course it would be nice if the BDA would ratify a UHD BD format.
post #6347 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Ripping, yet alone transcoding, is such a vast topic that it should have its own forum, much less a single thread. Granted, this thread seems to have become the kind of catch-all, meandering thread of which there is usually a need for; however, if there is not already a thread on the topic of compressing/encoding/transcoding files, then I think it'd be in everyone's best interest (particularly those who are looking for info on the subject) to make one.

Last edited by javanpohl; Yesterday at 10:08 AM.
post #6348 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I had to download a new copy on my HTPC. Based on a recent NY case, they are now forbidden from selling any software in the U.S. that bypasses encryption. Their workaround, vague as it was, was to suggest downloading either anyDVD (I think) or some other software. That some other software was an add-on to DVDfab that bypassed the encryption.
This is covered in a thread on DVD Fab in this forum, but to save you the trouble of looking:

The US version of DVD Fab does not have the AACS decryption module, however the European version does. If you download the latest build from the DVD Fab website it will always deliver you the US version based on your IP address. You can, however, download the EU version from the same IP address that you get the US version from. The only difference in the filename is to leave off the "US". Here is the link to download the EU version of the latest build of DVD Fab -- v9.1.6.4.

http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9164.exe

Keep that link. As you need to download newer builds, just change the "9164" in the filename to the latest build number. You will also find that older versions can be downloaded from that IP address. They go back to build 9.1.3.6 (but it's not the "Gold" 9.1.3.6). Again, just change the "9164" to the build # you want.

The download DVD Fab points you to is called "WooKao". It is an older version of DVD Fab PassKey lite which is essentially an AACS decryption module.
javanpohl likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6349 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
This is covered in a thread on DVD Fab in this forum, but to save you the trouble of looking:

The US version of DVD Fab does not have the AACS decryption module, however the European version does. If you download the latest build from the DVD Fab website it will always deliver you the US version based on your IP address. You can, however, download the EU version from the same IP address that you get the US version from. The only difference in the filename is to leave off the "US". Here is the link to download the EU version of the latest build of DVD Fab -- v9.1.6.4.

http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9164.exe

Keep that link. As you need to download newer builds, just change the "9164" in the filename to the latest build number. You will also find that older versions can be downloaded from that IP address. They go back to build 9.1.3.6 (but it's not the "Gold" 9.1.3.6). Again, just change the "9164" to the build # you want.

The download DVD Fab points you to is called "WooKao". It is an older version of DVD Fab PassKey lite which is essentially an AACS decryption module.
Good to know, thanks! Are there any other diffrences? Once you download the aforementioned "other software", the US DVDfab works just as it always did.

... I should probably check out that thread. Maybe you guys have the answer for my NOSCAN issue.

Guess I'll be leaving the ripping thread to go talk about ripping
post #6350 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Good to know, thanks! Are there any other diffrences? Once you download the aforementioned "other software", the US DVDfab works just as it always did.
At least for the BluRay COPY and DVD COPY modules there does not appear to be any other differences.

The potential problem with using their WooKao solution is what happens when a new version of AACS is implemented requiring a new version of WooKao. I have no clue how that will be supported.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6351 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
At least for the BluRay COPY and DVD COPY modules there does not appear to be any other differences.

The potential problem with using their WooKao solution is what happens when a new version of AACS is implemented requiring a new version of WooKao. I have no clue how that will be supported.
Hmm... good point. I wonder if WooKao is sophisticated enough to auto-update.
post #6352 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Excellent idea to post a exe link.
post #6353 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Excellent idea to post a exe link.
Astute observing there...It's a link to DOWNLOAD an exe...
post #6354 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I would appreciate some advice on picking out a solid BR drive, any suggestions?

Best regards,
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #6355 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
I would appreciate some advice on picking out a solid BR drive, any suggestions?

Best regards,
KvE
I've purchased 3 LG drives for BD ripping and all have been exceptional. They usually were on sale at Newegg during the time of purchase.

I have had great experience with all three. The last one I purchased was this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136269

Also found at Amazon for a bit cheaper.

The laptop drive I bought to replace my stock one was this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136257

All great drives for playback and ripping.

Theater set-up:  

post #6356 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
I've purchased 3 LG drives for BD ripping and all have been exceptional. They usually were on sale at Newegg during the time of purchase.

I have had great experience with all three. The last one I purchased was this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136269

Also found at Amazon for a bit cheaper.

The laptop drive I bought to replace my stock one was this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136257

All great drives for playback and ripping.
I've also had great luck with LG drives. I've used over half a dozen of them and half a dozen from Lite-On, and several from Samsung. The LG ones seemed to be the best drives I have used over the years. With the Samsung being next. At least that has been my experience.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6357 of 6357 Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 209
+1 on the LD drives. Highly rated over at CDFreaks (MyCE.com).
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com