post #6361 of 6363 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Thank you all for the LG suggestion and I will give the WH16NS40 a shot.

Is it worth getting the retail version with the included Cyberlink software or just save the difference and find a decent free solution for disc playback?

Also is Riplock an issue with this drive and if so can it be addressed via a firmware upgrade?

Thanks again,
KvE
Considering you are asking this question in a "ripping blu rays" topic I would say stick with the OEM version simply because you can rip your BD in a matter of 10-20 minutes or so and play them back via MPC-HC or VLC for free. I have no experience with ISO playback but I think you'll need somthing like PowerDVD for that.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6363 Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Considering you are asking this question in a "ripping blu rays" topic I would say stick with the OEM version simply because you can rip your BD in a matter of 10-20 minutes or so and play them back via MPC-HC or VLC for free. I have no experience with ISO playback but I think you'll need somthing like PowerDVD for that.
BD ISO's can be mounted like any other ISO. They can be mounted with the freeware Virtual CloneDrive from SlySoft. From there they can be played with any player software. Just a few days ago I discovered PotPlayer Mini 64. (No tee-hees please) It is freeware and has settings and options out the wazoo. It does not display BD Java menues, you need to know which playlist to load, and then you need to manually select the audio stream you want to hear. Did I mention it is free?

BTW, "ripping" is the step where the encryption is removed and the movie/disc is transferred to the hard drive. Some rip to ISO, some to folder structure, some to MKV, etc, etc. But it's all "ripping" with no target format implied.

Jeff
post #6363 of 6363 Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Just a few days ago I discovered PotPlayer Mini 64. (No tee-hees please) It is freeware and has settings and options out the wazoo. It does not display BD Java menues, you need to know which playlist to load, and then you need to manually select the audio stream you want to hear. Did I mention it is free?
I don't know if the player is good but I enjoyed watching the kitty's play.

http://download.cnet.com/Daum-Potpla...-75587055.html

Tee hee.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com