post #6361 of 6379 Old 08-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Thank you all for the LG suggestion and I will give the WH16NS40 a shot.

Is it worth getting the retail version with the included Cyberlink software or just save the difference and find a decent free solution for disc playback?

Also is Riplock an issue with this drive and if so can it be addressed via a firmware upgrade?

Thanks again,
KvE
Considering you are asking this question in a "ripping blu rays" topic I would say stick with the OEM version simply because you can rip your BD in a matter of 10-20 minutes or so and play them back via MPC-HC or VLC for free. I have no experience with ISO playback but I think you'll need somthing like PowerDVD for that.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6362 of 6379 Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Considering you are asking this question in a "ripping blu rays" topic I would say stick with the OEM version simply because you can rip your BD in a matter of 10-20 minutes or so and play them back via MPC-HC or VLC for free. I have no experience with ISO playback but I think you'll need somthing like PowerDVD for that.
BD ISO's can be mounted like any other ISO. They can be mounted with the freeware Virtual CloneDrive from SlySoft. From there they can be played with any player software. Just a few days ago I discovered PotPlayer Mini 64. (No tee-hees please) It is freeware and has settings and options out the wazoo. It does not display BD Java menues, you need to know which playlist to load, and then you need to manually select the audio stream you want to hear. Did I mention it is free?

BTW, "ripping" is the step where the encryption is removed and the movie/disc is transferred to the hard drive. Some rip to ISO, some to folder structure, some to MKV, etc, etc. But it's all "ripping" with no target format implied.

Jeff
post #6363 of 6379 Old 08-29-2014, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Just a few days ago I discovered PotPlayer Mini 64. (No tee-hees please) It is freeware and has settings and options out the wazoo. It does not display BD Java menues, you need to know which playlist to load, and then you need to manually select the audio stream you want to hear. Did I mention it is free?
I don't know if the player is good but I enjoyed watching the kitty's play.

http://download.cnet.com/Daum-Potpla...-75587055.html

Tee hee.
post #6364 of 6379 Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
I would appreciate some advice on picking out a solid BR drive, any suggestions?
I stuck an internal BD player into my Mac Pro. About this mac says: PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-207D

Just to buck the LG parade here
post #6365 of 6379 Old 08-31-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 684
Pioneer is supposed to have good BD drives too. Or so I've heard. I've never personally used one though.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6366 of 6379 Old 08-31-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Pioneer is supposed to have good BD drives too. Or so I've heard. I've never personally used one though.
Good review of the Pioneer BDR-209DBK at http://goughlui.com/?p=8997.

I have the previous model Pioneer BDR-208M and has been functioning fine for my purposes. I have not ripped a BD so don't know about read speeds.
post #6367 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I have 1500+ movies with no RAID. I do a weekly long self-test (via SMART) and replace a disk ASAP if the self-test fails for any reason. I've had several HDDs get read errors but I've only had to re-rip one movie. The other times, the data would eventually read successfully (if very slowly).

Keep in mind that RAID is really intended for high availability, not backup. There are many failure scenarios with RAID that could result in the loss of the entire pool. With individual disks, it's easy to take one disk and move it to another system, if necessary to get the data.
Raid 6 with a global hot spare is what I run in my video server. I would have to loose 2 drives at once in order to have an issue. I have the built in email client notify me of any issue that occurs. The hot spare is set to come on line and rebuild automatically with highest priority.
post #6368 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
If I'm ripping Blus that I own and I own 1500 of them....

Should I use Raid 5 ... or just let the discs themselves serve as a backup and not use any type of Raid?

... One advantage if I decide not to do the raid backup notion is I can add the drives as I can afford them rather than saving up for 4 drives at a time type thing. Another advantage is 20% more storage capacity.

The major dis-advantage is the possibility of having to re-do 100+ movies... and also the mess of trying to salvage data from a bad drive .. I guess that's not really a big deal though is it... maybe when the drive if found to be faulty I can save 80% or more of the data ....

=Brian
Raid 6 with hot spare.
post #6369 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

That is one thing I wish unRAID could do. Have two drive failures and still be able to rebuild. Although I can't say I've run across that issue yet so my three unRAID setups have been performing well over the years. One day I've got to get back to replacing my old 1.5TB drives with 2TB drives and replacing my 2TB drives with 3TB drives.

I still have several 3TB drives I bought on sale a while ago that are still sitting in the Newegg box. I replace the 2TB drives with the 3TB drives. Then move the 2TB drives over to replace the 1.5TB drives. It's just the process takes so long.

LED DLP

post #6370 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
I still have several 3TB drives I bought on sale a while ago that are still sitting in the Newegg box. I replace the 2TB drives with the 3TB drives. Then move the 2TB drives over to replace the 1.5TB drives. It's just the process takes so long.
That sounds like it's hardly worth the trouble for such a small increment. Why not leave the 2TB drives as-is and replace the 1.5TB with the 3TB? And why not use 4 or 6TB HDDs? And 8TB is coming soon.
post #6371 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
That is one thing I wish unRAID could do. Have two drive failures and still be able to rebuild. Although I can't say I've run across that issue yet so my three unRAID setups have been performing well over the years. One day I've got to get back to replacing my old 1.5TB drives with 2TB drives and replacing my 2TB drives with 3TB drives.

Why not just clear the drives, add them to the pool and just expand the storage? Or are you using 2TB parity drives?
post #6372 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Liked: 38
So what do folks agree on here as far as resolution? Better to rip at 720p or 1080p if I want to keep my rips down below ~8GB?

I'm just using DVDFab for transcoding which seems to do 'good enough' in comparison to better encoders like Handbrake with x264.

Thanks.
post #6373 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
So what do folks agree on here as far as resolution? Better to rip at 720p or 1080p if I want to keep my rips down below ~8GB?

I'm just using DVDFab for transcoding which seems to do 'good enough' in comparison to better encoders like Handbrake with x264.

Thanks.
That's a good question.

I used to be a big proponent of a high bitrate 720p was better than a low bitrate 1080p. Honestly, for me, it just came down to how much grain I wanted to keep and/or how much action was in the movie. Really, only you can decide because it's very subjective. As .x264 encoding has advanced, there are some really good 1080p encodes that are less than 4GB these days.

If I really care and I am still strapped for space, I will still go for 720p, especially for action and movies with lots of shadows and dark scenes (to avoid blocking). For comedies and dramas that are relatively static I'm not afraid to go 1080p.

It's just a personal choice. I'm sure I have some encodes that would just make some people throw up and others that people would call absolute overkill.
post #6374 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

Thanks.
If "good enough" is good enough for you then rip to 720p.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6375 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
That's a good question.

I used to be a big proponent of a high bitrate 720p was better than a low bitrate 1080p. Honestly, for me, it just came down to how much grain I wanted to keep and/or how much action was in the movie. Really, only you can decide because it's very subjective. As .x264 encoding has advanced, there are some really good 1080p encodes that are less than 4GB these days.

If I really care and I am still strapped for space, I will still go for 720p, especially for action and movies with lots of shadows and dark scenes (to avoid blocking). For comedies and dramas that are relatively static I'm not afraid to go 1080p.

It's just a personal choice. I'm sure I have some encodes that would just make some people throw up and others that people would call absolute overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If "good enough" is good enough for you then rip to 720p.
Thanks guys. These were really the answers I was after. Seems that 720p is probably a better way for me to go if I am concerned with conserving disk space. I guess if 1080p quality really matters to me, I'll just get the BD out.
post #6376 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
That sounds like it's hardly worth the trouble for such a small increment. Why not leave the 2TB drives as-is and replace the 1.5TB with the 3TB? And why not use 4 or 6TB HDDs? And 8TB is coming soon.
Because they cost a lot more. The 3TB drives I got were under $100. The cost per TB is much lower with the 3TB and lower drives. Although they are coming down on the 4TB drives. While above 4TB is very expensive per TB. I don't plan on using any of those in my unRAID setups for a long while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Why not just clear the drives, add them to the pool and just expand the storage? Or are you using 2TB parity drives?
I only have a 2TB parity drive in my unRAID 1 setup, so I don't plan on going over 2TB. In my unRAID 2 and unRAID 3 setups I have 3TB parity drives so those are the ones I use 3TB drives in.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; Yesterday at 04:37 PM.
post #6377 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Because they cost a lot more. The 3TB drives I got were under $100. The cost per TB is much lower with the 3TB and lower drives. Although they are coming down on the 4TB drives. While above 4TB is very expensive per TB. I don't plan on using any of those in my unRAID setups for a long while.

I only have a 2TB parity drive in my unRAID 1 setup, so I don't plan on going over 2TB. In my unRAID 2 and unRAID 3 setups I have 3TB parity drives so those are the ones I use 3TB drives in.
Gotcha, forgot about unRAID. Still seems like it would more efficient to replace only the smallest drives -- including the parity drive -- before messing with the other boxes.

As for cost per TB, don't neglect the not-insignificant cost of each HDD bay. Case, SATA controllers, power supply, etc. Including that, and placing a relatively high value on my time, the 4TBs have been economical for nearly two years, and 6TB at $300 is already there. Again, for me. Your value measure is obviously different.
post #6378 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 151
IIRC, with unRAID the parity drive must be as large as the largest array drive.
post #6379 of 6379 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Gotcha, forgot about unRAID. Still seems like it would more efficient to replace only the smallest drives -- including the parity drive -- before messing with the other boxes.

As for cost per TB, don't neglect the not-insignificant cost of each HDD bay. Case, SATA controllers, power supply, etc. Including that, and placing a relatively high value on my time, the 4TBs have been economical for nearly two years, and 6TB at $300 is already there. Again, for me. Your value measure is obviously different.
I've already got around 68 drives between my three unRAID setups. So it's not too economical for me to switch to a larger drive. Although I guess I could sell some of the smaller capacity drives. I sold several dozen 1.5TB and smaller drives last year. WHich was at least better than me trashing them. But at this point since two of my unRAID setups have the maximum number of drives and I still have space in all three, I can afford to wait until the 4TB and larger drives come down in price.

Although if I do ever go to the 4TB and larger drive sizes I will probably build a fourth unRAID setup. And then retire my unRAID 1 and unRAID 2 setups.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page