Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 214 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Senior Member
 
StratmanX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
What are you guys doing, hosting the Library of Congress??
Backing up the internet.
StratmanX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-03-2014, 01:52 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by StratmanX View Post
Backing up the internet.
Gosh, I hope they got the hacked celebrity nudes before they were taken down!
pepar is offline  
Old 09-03-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,497
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
What are you guys doing, hosting the Library of Congress??
On average one can store ~35 full bitrate BluRay titles/TB. I get ~105 on a 3TB drive and 140 on a 4TB drive. If you are ripping the full disk, the space requirements go up very quickly because of all the filler junk (excuse me, "extras") they put on a BD disk. Someone with a 1000 disk collection can easily fill up a bunch of drives.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Old 09-03-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
On average one can store ~35 full bitrate BluRay titles/TB. I get ~105 on a 3TB drive and 140 on a 4TB drive. If you are ripping the full disk, the space requirements go up very quickly because of all the filler junk (excuse me, "extras") they put on a BD disk. Someone with a 1000 disk collection can easily fill up a bunch of drives.
Even ripping the full disk, my average BD ISO size is only around 31GB. It was around that when I was at 1000 titles and is still around that size at 2000 titles.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was around that when I was at 1000 titles and is still around that size at 2000 titles.
Owww, just owww.
pepar is offline  
Old 09-03-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Better someone else than me who can't keep up with a watchlist of current stuff to watch.
CruelInventions likes this.
Gary J is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
That sounds like it's hardly worth the trouble for such a small increment. Why not leave the 2TB drives as-is and replace the 1.5TB with the 3TB? And why not use 4 or 6TB HDDs? And 8TB is coming soon.
I agree. Why not just get a bigger drive right? I currently have a 4TB drive and a 1TB drive (both WD Red) and will replace both with the 8TB drive when they come out and stabilize in price. At the rate that I rip BD movies it will take me about two years to fill up an 8TB drive... I don't keep what I really don't like and all my rips are makemkv (not ISO). When the 8TB fills up I'll probably just get another one, however, what I really have not considered is backing up those MKV files. I have not pondered setting up any sort of RAID (seems like a bit of a headache). I would almost just consider purchasing a few giant external drives to backup the MKV but that doesn't sound efficient either. One thing that I like about just having a bunch of drives with their own drive letters is that if the drive fails you only loose the media on that particular drive. Not really a big deal I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
So what do folks agree on here as far as resolution? Better to rip at 720p or 1080p if I want to keep my rips down below ~8GB?

I'm just using DVDFab for transcoding which seems to do 'good enough' in comparison to better encoders like Handbrake with x264.

Thanks.
I would say that most of my Disney movies encode to less than 4GB at 1080p with 20 constant quality. Some grainy films were 12GB though.... the average between all of my BD encodes is probably less than 8GB.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
jhughy2010 is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
^^^^

I have w-a-y too many BDs I do not watch. I certainly don't rip them. Someone with thousands of rips either has widely varied tastes and 48 hours in a day, or they have a lot of content that they don't watch. If I am wrong and there is a third scenario, I'd like to hear it.

Jeff
pepar is offline  
Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
^^^^

I have w-a-y too many BDs I do not watch. I certainly don't rip them. Someone with thousands of rips either has widely varied tastes and 48 hours in a day, or they have a lot of content that they don't watch. If I am wrong and there is a third scenario, I'd like to hear it.

Jeff
For me, I never know what I will be in the mood to watch, so I like to have a wide variety available. I could be in the mood to watch something at 5PM, when I'm still at work, but by the time I get home at 6:30PM, I want to watch something different.

It's also the same reason I record several hundred things, every couple of weeks, on my TiVos. I only watch a small percentage of it, but I want a wide variety of things available to watch when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
^^^^

OK, you like options!

Jeff
pepar is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Those 8 TB are sweet but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.. I have 16 4 TB hdds and just built a new RAID 6 server to replace my aging RAID 5 Server. Never had an issue with the Raid 5 at all. I just figured after 5 years of service it was time. After Raid 6 proves itself I will break down RAID 5 and dump parts on eBay.
Which reminds me, I picked up a 6TB drive a few weeks ago and haven't even taken out of the box ...

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blackssr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,639
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
For me, I never know what I will be in the mood to watch, so I like to have a wide variety available. I could be in the mood to watch something at 5PM, when I'm still at work, but by the time I get home at 6:30PM, I want to watch something different.

It's also the same reason I record several hundred things, every couple of weeks, on my TiVos. I only watch a small percentage of it, but I want a wide variety of things available to watch when I sit down to watch TV. Since I never know what I will be in the mood to watch.
Same here. I watch 30% of what I record on my Tivo's. During the day, I always plan watch this or that but it almost always changes. It is nice to have a choice and no stupid commercials.
blackssr is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Senior Member
 
smitbret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: East Idaho - Pocatello
Posts: 420
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I agree. Why not just get a bigger drive right? I currently have a 4TB drive and a 1TB drive (both WD Red) and will replace both with the 8TB drive when they come out and stabilize in price. At the rate that I rip BD movies it will take me about two years to fill up an 8TB drive... I don't keep what I really don't like and all my rips are makemkv (not ISO). When the 8TB fills up I'll probably just get another one, however, what I really have not considered is backing up those MKV files. I have not pondered setting up any sort of RAID (seems like a bit of a headache). I would almost just consider purchasing a few giant external drives to backup the MKV but that doesn't sound efficient either. One thing that I like about just having a bunch of drives with their own drive letters is that if the drive fails you only loose the media on that particular drive. Not really a big deal I guess.



I would say that most of my Disney movies encode to less than 4GB at 1080p with 20 constant quality. Some grainy films were 12GB though.... the average between all of my BD encodes is probably less than 8GB.
Yeah, weird. Just for fun after reading this thread and checking out Matt Gadient's website, I went through and reencoded several of my animated features at RF 18, Fast, Animated Preset and kept the resolution at 1080p:

Wall-E
How to Train Your Dragon
Despicable Me
Megamind

All of them came in at less than 4.5GB from BR Rip sizes of 25-30GB.

You just never know what the encoder is going to decide given an RF setting. After I did the animated movies, I wanted to play around with some more encodes with RF and the presets rather than Advanced Settings in Handbrake.

I re-encoded "300" on RF 18, Slow, Grain, and kept the resolution at 1080p. It came back 1.5GB smaller than the BR Rip (22.5GB - 21.5GB) and if I had kept the True-HD track instead of downsampling to DD 5.1 then it probably would have been bigger than the original. All 3 Transformers movies only came in about 20% smaller at the same settings (except change 'Grain' to 'Film'). Both Hobbit movies compressed to 10GB and 8.5GB respectively. Which was about 30% the size of the original BR rip.

Grain matters even more than I thought.
Lots of Grain (300) = Big file.
Quite a bit of Grain (Tranformers) = Almost as big
No Grain (Animated Films) = Compresses to about 20% of the original size
jhughy2010 likes this.
smitbret is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:00 PM
Member
 
Skeewashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ive been waiting to find a good program to do this.

Looking for Oculus and Kindergarten Cop digital copies
Skeewashy is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
^^^^

I have w-a-y too many BDs I do not watch. I certainly don't rip them. Someone with thousands of rips either has widely varied tastes and 48 hours in a day, or they have a lot of content that they don't watch. If I am wrong and there is a third scenario, I'd like to hear it.

Jeff
I have a household with more than one avid movie watcher, and all of us have vastly different tastes in what we watch. Also, since we've been acquiring titles since the very earliest launch of DVD, the collection is massive. We held off on 1080p stuff until HD-DVD officially threw in the towel. So on the BD front we only have about 900 titles.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
I have a household with more than one avid movie watcher, and all of us have vastly different tastes in what we watch. Also, since we've been acquiring titles since the very earliest launch of DVD, the collection is massive. We held off on 1080p stuff until HD-DVD officially threw in the towel. So on the BD front we only have about 900 titles.
Do you have 128 terabytes like Aaron?

pepar is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I agree. Why not just get a bigger drive right? I currently have a 4TB drive and a 1TB drive (both WD Red) and will replace both with the 8TB drive when they come out and stabilize in price. At the rate that I rip BD movies it will take me about two years to fill up an 8TB drive... I don't keep what I really don't like and all my rips are makemkv (not ISO). When the 8TB fills up I'll probably just get another one, however, what I really have not considered is backing up those MKV files. I have not pondered setting up any sort of RAID (seems like a bit of a headache). I would almost just consider purchasing a few giant external drives to backup the MKV but that doesn't sound efficient either. One thing that I like about just having a bunch of drives with their own drive letters is that if the drive fails you only loose the media on that particular drive. Not really a big deal I guess.

There was just a pair of topics about this very thing over on the HTPC side of the forums. If you are approaching 5TB of ripped data, it's probably time to start looking into redundancy if it would actually be bothersome to lose the data. The time to re-rip 25 BD is one thing (and would still probably take a few days). The time to re-rip 100+ titles is enough of a time-suck that many people consider the added expense of redundancy to be a wise investment.

With affordable 6TB drives on the market already,and consumer-ready, affordable 8TB drives on the way probably in the next 2 years, even a simple mirror back-up is relatively inexpensive and easily achievable at this point, though there are free RAID-like options out there as well - but those don't really kick in until you get ot the point where you'll have 2+ large drives of filled data.
jhughy2010 likes this.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Do you have 128 terabytes like Aaron?

I am only at 48TB

Granted, since I pretty much run 1:1 mirror only half of that is used for storage

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Do you have 128 terabytes like Aaron?

Alas, I do not - though I suspect that has more to do with SWMBO tempering the purchases more than anything else. I'm still at a modest 32 TB loaded up onto the server with ~33-35 TB more to go. By the time we finish loading all of that, there will probably be about 5 TB more. Once we finish with that and are all "caught up" I figure about 3-5 TB/year depending on the quality of movies and the release of those rare catalog titles that have just been gathering dust and have not seen the light of day in a generation.

So I doubt I will ever get to that 128 TB mark. Heck, it's quite possible I may never quite hit 100 TB, though I wouldn't be shocked if I eventually crept beyond that point ever so slightly.

Of course the release of 4K 3D HFR Extended Editions of all the Hobbit movies and the 4K and 8K versions of Lawrence of Arabia could very well change my math right, quick, and in a hurry.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ScottJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Of course the release of 4K 3D HFR Extended Editions of all the Hobbit movies and the 4K and 8K versions of Lawrence of Arabia could very well change my math right, quick, and in a hurry.
One of the reasons I started collecting movies was my realization that Blu-ray is Good Enough for the vast majority of the movies I want to watch. I'd say for 98% of my collection, I will never need to buy another copy. I can't imagine any technology that would make me want a newer copy of (say) Forrest Gump, or Weird Science, or WarGames. The Blu-ray is literally as good as, or better, than those movies ever looked in a movie theater.

4K? Meh. Atmos? Meh. HFR? Meh. All solutions in search of a problem, a desperate effort to keep the upgrade dollars flowing.
Brian Hampton likes this.
ScottJ is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,155
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

4K? Meh. Atmos? Meh. HFR? Meh. All solutions in search of a problem, a desperate effort to keep the upgrade dollars flowing.
+10

Re 4k: Apple's got the trademark, but "retina display" is based on solid science.
pepar is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
One of the reasons I started collecting movies was my realization that Blu-ray is Good Enough for the vast majority of the movies I want to watch. I'd say for 98% of my collection, I will never need to buy another copy. I can't imagine any technology that would make me want a newer copy of (say) Forrest Gump, or Weird Science, or WarGames. The Blu-ray is literally as good as, or better, than those movies ever looked in a movie theater.

4K? Meh. Atmos? Meh. HFR? Meh. All solutions in search of a problem, a desperate effort to keep the upgrade dollars flowing.
For the most part, I wholly agree. I too see essentially zero chance that I will be investing enough in anything beyond Blu-ray and DTS-HD MA. There are a few exceptions. The Hobbit films are among them, not because they are incredible films (though they are very entertaining), but because 3D HFR was how they were intended to be seen, and I am a big enough Tolkien aficionado that I would invest in them. And for me, Lawrence of Arabia stands as one of the greatest visual epics of all time. I rushed to order the remastered Blu-ray when it was produced. If they ever release a higher quality transfer (4K, 8K, VR) I would probably be clobbering people to get to the head of the line. Outside of a few truly elite titles though, I don't see me going beyond Blu-ray.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I am only at 48TB

Granted, since I pretty much run 1:1 mirror only half of that is used for storage
I think my Mediasmart WHS days are over. I used to have around 56TB that was mirrored with WHS but I repurposed that to unRAID to be able to have more storage space to use. I think it's been a year since i turned on my WHS now.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ScottJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 1,505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
If they ever release a higher quality transfer (4K, 8K, VR) I would probably be clobbering people to get to the head of the line. Outside of a few truly elite titles though, I don't see me going beyond Blu-ray.
Exactly. For new releases, or a few elite titles where it makes sense to retrofit, the new technologies can be useful. I will probably upgrade to all of those technologies eventually, because why not? But for catalog titles, including practically all my current library, I can rip with confidence knowing it will last forever.
ScottJ is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
There was just a pair of topics about this very thing over on the HTPC side of the forums. If you are approaching 5TB of ripped data, it's probably time to start looking into redundancy if it would actually be bothersome to lose the data. The time to re-rip 25 BD is one thing (and would still probably take a few days). The time to re-rip 100+ titles is enough of a time-suck that many people consider the added expense of redundancy to be a wise investment.

With affordable 6TB drives on the market already,and consumer-ready, affordable 8TB drives on the way probably in the next 2 years, even a simple mirror back-up is relatively inexpensive and easily achievable at this point, though there are free RAID-like options out there as well - but those don't really kick in until you get ot the point where you'll have 2+ large drives of filled data.
Good point. Yes I will invest in a redundant (1:1) drive set-up... With that said I wish NAS wasn't so expensive.

If anyone is looking for a Western Digital Red drive (I have 1TB and 4TB) please PM me. I'll part with them for a great deal (I'm going to setting on a single 6TB drive for the moment).

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
jhughy2010 is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Aryn Ravenlocke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 492
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Good point. Yes I will invest in a redundant (1:1) drive set-up... With that said I wish NAS wasn't so expensive.

If anyone is looking for a Western Digital Red drive (I have 1TB and 4TB) please PM me. I'll part with them for a great deal (I'm going to setting on a single 6TB drive for the moment).
Depending on how many disks you will be running, a NAS doesn't really have to cost much of anything. If you are running with 4 drives or less, especially if you are not doing parity through snapshot, you can find some nice enclosure solutions for under $100. If you have upgraded (or are upgrading) to a 6 TB drive and it is capable of holding most of your data already, there are plenty of very inexpensive solutions available. It's once you get past the 4 drives that things can really get out of control in a hurry.
Aryn Ravenlocke is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I think my Mediasmart WHS days are over. I used to have around 56TB that was mirrored with WHS but I repurposed that to unRAID to be able to have more storage space to use. I think it's been a year since i turned on my WHS now.
I am actually running Windows Server 2012 Essentials

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

dbone1026 is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 05:15 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 22,110
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I am actually running Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Is that what replaced Windows Home Server?

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now  
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,337
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I am actually running Windows Server 2012 Essentials
Is that what replaced Windows Home Server?
Not really. The whole windows home server thing Microsoft let die.
dbone1026 is offline  
Old 09-05-2014, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn Ravenlocke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Good point. Yes I will invest in a redundant (1:1) drive set-up... With that said I wish NAS wasn't so expensive.

If anyone is looking for a Western Digital Red drive (I have 1TB and 4TB) please PM me. I'll part with them for a great deal (I'm going to setting on a single 6TB drive for the moment).
Depending on how many disks you will be running, a NAS doesn't really have to cost much of anything. If you are running with 4 drives or less, especially if you are not doing parity through snapshot, you can find some nice enclosure solutions for under $100. If you have upgraded (or are upgrading) to a 6 TB drive and it is capable of holding most of your data already, there are plenty of very inexpensive solutions available. It's once you get past the 4 drives that things can really get out of control in a hurry.
Oh ok I didn't know... say I decide to keep the 4TB red drive... what would be a good NAS solution? Would I have to have all 4 drives to start with?
jhughy2010 is offline  
 

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off