post #6481 of 6503 Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Mmh, it never crossed my mind to use TSMuxer for MKVs so I can't say. But if you do rip your DVD episodes, you should be able to do so by changing the minimum title length in MakeMKV.
Ripping the DVD episodes in MakeMKV was not a problem, it was actually quite easy. From the ones I did, it seemed to rip them in numerical title order so as long as I know how the episode text titles correspond to the numerical order on the disk (easy to do) it is a simple matter to assign title names to the episode MKV's that are produced.

My reference to foolishness regarding ripping DVD episodes stems from my having close to 800 DVD.iso of TV series on my NAS units. I would have to be nuts to go back and start ripping individual episodes from all these disks just to save a little space. The thought makes me shudder.

As to TSMuxeR, it is pretty dated, development was stopped years ago and so its problems with MKV files may be historical. I believe there is a new version of TSMuxeR out. Someone has picked up development and added support for 3D. I haven't paid much attention to it because Clown_BD uses the older version so that is what I have stuck with and have not had problems up until now. I think I'll read up on the new version and give it a try.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6482 of 6503 Old 09-16-2014, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
My reference to foolishness regarding ripping DVD episodes stems from my having close to 800 DVD.iso of TV series on my NAS units. I would have to be nuts to go back and start ripping individual episodes from all these disks just to save a little space. The thought makes me shudder.
Why? Add a temporary external disk, fire up MakeMKV Batch Converter and come back later when it's done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things can only get better
post #6483 of 6503 Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Or just leave them as ISOs and it's easier to deal with. All my TV show BDs are just in ISO format. I just use my older media players with them that show the full BD menus. If those ever crap out then I guess I would need to convert them to MKV. But right now I typically only use MKVs for those titles where they have hundreds of playlists, so I create an MKV of BD movie since I would not be able to remember the correct playlist.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6484 of 6503 Old 09-17-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Or just leave them as ISOs and it's easier to deal with.
Ding, ding, ding . . .

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6485 of 6503 Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Well, I hate all the clutter, especially those animated menus plus saving space is always nice. YMMV.
DotJun likes this.

Things can only get better
post #6486 of 6503 Old 09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Ripping the DVD episodes in MakeMKV was not a problem, it was actually quite easy. From the ones I did, it seemed to rip them in numerical title order so as long as I know how the episode text titles correspond to the numerical order on the disk (easy to do) it is a simple matter to assign title names to the episode MKV's that are produced.

As to TSMuxeR, it is pretty dated, development was stopped years ago and so its problems with MKV files may be historical. I believe there is a new version of TSMuxeR out. Someone has picked up development and added support for 3D. I haven't paid much attention to it because Clown_BD uses the older version so that is what I have stuck with and have not had problems up until now. I think I'll read up on the new version and give it a try.

2.6.12 is the most current version of tsmuxer.
post #6487 of 6503 Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The original post to this thread is quite old now, so I'm wondering which programs are suggested for ripping Bluray these days? I've heard AnyDVD works well, but are there any free programs that work with Bluray?

jcg
post #6488 of 6503 Old 09-20-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Any DVD HD easily pays for itself over time. I've been using it to rip BD titles to ISOs for five years now. WIth the Lifetime option I've easily received more than my moneys worth. I never wanted to deal with any of the free options since they weren't updated on a regular basis. Which is what you need with new releases each week to be able to rip some of them properly.

post #6489 of 6503 Old 09-20-2014, 07:14 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcg View Post
The original post to this thread is quite old now, so I'm wondering which programs are suggested for ripping Bluray these days? I've heard AnyDVD works well, but are there any free programs that work with Bluray?

jcg
MakeMKV.

-Bill

|

Unofficial OPPO FAQS:
|
|
|

post #6490 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 09:01 AM
jcg
AVS Special Member

I just downloaded MakeMKV to test it out and it's only free for a 30 day trial period. Is there anything that is really free with no time limits?

jcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
MakeMKV.

-Bill
post #6491 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Quote:
I just downloaded MakeMKV to test it out and it's only free for a 30 day trial period. Is there anything that is really free with no time limits?

jcg
Anytime I forget and try to download and use MakeMKV I get the message that the trial has ended and I will need to purchase it. So I just uninstall it and go back to AnyDVD with TSMuxeR.

Usually it's just for fun or to try an help someone out on a forum so it has no real world effect to me but I would be curious how everyone gets around this as well.
post #6492 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

jcg
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Anytime I forget and try to download and use MakeMKV I get the message that the trial has ended and I will need to purchase it. So I just uninstall it and go back to AnyDVD with TSMuxeR.

Usually it's just for fun or to try an help someone out on a forum so it has no real world effect to me but I would be curious how everyone gets around this as well.
Bookmark this link
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

MakeMKV is free while in beta -- it has been in beta for a long, long time.
Copy/Paste the key into the registration box in the Help menu and it will be functional
It is updated with the newest beta key regularly.
The current key is good until the end of September 2014.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 09-21-2014 at 09:47 AM.
post #6493 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

jcg
Let me ask you a question. How much money do you have invested in Home Theater Equipment and Media? And you're bitching about a hundred bucks or so?
aaronwt, Kelson, Wryker and 2 others like this.

(Just as big an idea thief as)

post #6494 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^ wish I could have liked it twice.

- kelson h

post #6495 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I get a new key every month or so that can be used with MakeMKV. But I only use MakeMKV for titles that have the hundreds of playlists. Otherwise I just rip to a BD ISO. But MakeMKV does do a good job. I also have AnyDVD HD running in the background so I have no idea how well MakeMKV works by itself in ripping the BDs. I always use MakeMKV on a BD ISO I had previously ripped. Never directly from my disc.

post #6496 of 6503 Old 09-21-2014, 05:10 PM
jcg
AVS Special Member

OK, sounds good. Unfortunately my first attempt to backup a bluray disk failed as MakeMKV hangs in the middle of the backup (I'm assuming I should be checking the decrypt box under backup). The disc is the just released "Bears" documentary, but I'll give it another try on a different disc next week.
jcg

Quote:
Bookmark this link
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

MakeMKV is free while in beta -- it has been in beta for a long, long time.
Copy/Paste the key into the registration box in the Help menu and it will be functional
It is updated with the newest beta key regularly.
The current key is good until the end of September 2014.
post #6497 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 05:20 AM

Quote:
OK, sounds good. Unfortunately my first attempt to backup a bluray disk failed as MakeMKV hangs in the middle of the backup (I'm assuming I should be checking the decrypt box under backup). The disc is the just released "Bears" documentary, but I'll give it another try on a different disc next week.
jcg
Yes, Decryption would be a necessity for any retail Blu-Ray or DVD.
post #6498 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I get a new key every month or so that can be used with MakeMKV. But I only use MakeMKV for titles that have the hundreds of playlists. Otherwise I just rip to a BD ISO. But MakeMKV does do a good job. I also have AnyDVD HD running in the background so I have no idea how well MakeMKV works by itself in ripping the BDs. I always use MakeMKV on a BD ISO I had previously ripped. Never directly from my disc.
I thought that they didn't play well together (MakeMKV & AnyDVD)?
post #6499 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
I thought that they didn't play well together (MakeMKV & AnyDVD)?
I've never had an issue, but I know MakeMKV does mention a possible conflict if you have AnyDVD running in the background

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) -

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #6500 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I've never had an issue, but I know MakeMKV does mention a possible conflict if you have AnyDVD running in the background
Yes. I always see the warning pop up, but I just ignore it. So far it hasn't caused a problem for me. But I also don't use MakeMKV very often either.

post #6501 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My primary ripper is DVD Fab so I do not have a resident decryption app constantly running in the background. In my continuing experimentation with MakeMKV, I'm finding that it decrypts all the most recent BD releases I have acquired -- doing a full disk "backup". -- MakeMKV is doing the decryption on its own.
Impressive.

I've taken these full disk rips and run them through Clown_BD to extract the main_title to BD.m2ts to make sure nothing was screwy with the MakeMKV rip. So far, so good. They seem the same as a DVD Fab folder rip.

Something amusing I've found. If I use DVD Fab to rip a full disk DVD to folder then run MakeMKV on it, MakeMKV issues a warning error that DVD Fab is known to make bad VOB files that may be corrupted and I should use MakeMKV to rip from the original disk. If I use DVD Shrink to rip the same DVD's to folder or .iso then run MakeMKV on them, I get no such error.

- kelson h

post #6502 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post
I bought the lifetime too about 2 years ago. Maybe I'm wrong though. Any of the newer updates actually installs a different program that wont let you rip your BDs so I still have the old one but the issue is that it doesnt seem like its updating the encryption for newer titles. I will try some more but I tried to rip Divergent and it just spit it back out.
Unless it changed AGAIN, you can download an add-on to DVDfab to get it to bypass the encryption and it works just the same as it used to.
post #6503 of 6503 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 100
So for my automated robotic ripping software I've put together some code to help select the primary title in makeMKV. It works in conjunction with the minlength, which for movies I set to 3600 (seconds--60 minutes... note to self: change that for 3d movies). It does:

~~# of titles = 1? Rip that one
else
~~"primary title" identified by makeMKV? Rip that one
else
~~number of tracks over minimum length with matching segments = 1? Rip that one
else
~~rip track zero and hope for the best

I'm also working on pulling the runtime from TMDB for help in getting the correct movie name/year and could add that to the matching segment check, but what I'm curious about is if anyone knows of code out there that matches to the correct title by analyzing the java code (or whatever it is) for the menu? That would be the best way and it's not something I'm real interested in learning how to do.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page