post #6571 of 6575 Old Today, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Turns out it was much easier than I thought to get started but now I realize the forced subtitle issue doesn't seem to have a solution. Some discs have multiple forced subs. So, I guess some discs just won't be comparable with my plan.

If I have to consult a database of titles with subtitle tracks that have to be enabled manually, That doesn't work the way I hoped.

I think I'm out... Luckily my investment so far with the NAS has been small. (And, It can be used for other things as well.)

-Brian
I'm not sure what your goal is. If your playback device supports forced subs (in one form or another), and you rip your discs carefully, then no manual intervention is required at playback time. But, getting the discs ripped properly can be a hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6572 of 6575 Old Today, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
I'm not sure what your goal is. If your playback device supports forced subs (in one form or another), and you rip your discs carefully, then no manual intervention is required at playback time. But, getting the discs ripped properly can be a hassle.
I didn't realize there were playback devices that correctly handled forced subs... I use the WDLIVE and I'm new to all this.

Why the subs aren't burned it like at the movies is purely beyond me.... Actually now in the age of digital theaters ... maybe they are on a separate file at movie theaters too.... I don't know.
post #6573 of 6575 Old Today, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I didn't realize there were playback devices that correctly handled forced subs... I use the WDLIVE and I'm new to all this.

Why the subs aren't burned it like at the movies is purely beyond me.... Actually now in the age of digital theaters ... maybe they are on a separate file at movie theaters too.... I don't know.
Some of the Dunes can handle forced subs properly. I'm not sure what else is out there.

Having subs separate enables the studio to easily handle different languages on the same disc.
post #6574 of 6575 Old Today, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 View Post
^ Maybe the reviewer is confused. The player has no way to tell if the AVR supports Atmos, and the same bitstream will work on non-Atmos AVRs (the extensions just get ignored). So an Atmos track effectively defaults to 7.1 automatically, and there should be no reason to include a separate non-Atmos 7.1 track.
I think you're right. The problem was they listed the 7.1 track (as part of the disc spec) along side the Atmos track as well as the usual lossy formats. This lead the reviewer to think it was a discrete track. Even blu-ray.com's review lists TrueHD 7.1 separately from Dolby Atmos.
post #6575 of 6575 Old Today, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Problems with forced subtitles make me want to forget my idea of ripping Blu.
What problems? Granted, they take a bit of extra work but once you've muxed them as first track and set the flags properly, it's no issue (especailly given the comparatively small amoun of BDs with forced subs out there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I was merging the Extended Editions using TSMuxer if that makes any difference.
I was using MKVToolnix, worked just fine and plays on the WDTV too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Things can only get better
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page