Forum Jump: 

post #6691 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
HD audio in a $99 streaming device may be a bit much to ask. Are there any?

I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.

Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.

Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.

Have you looked at plex?
post #6693 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
I happen to like the AppleTV. I have three of them throughout the house and use various channels often. What I see and can access on this basement HT setup that I'm discussion here, is exactly the same as what I and my family can see and access in the living room upstairs, and in our bedroom another floor up.
I, for one, am of the opinion that one cannot overstate the value of interface consistency in a whole-house setup that is used by the family. That is why, in my case, all the media players around the house are WDTV Live-SMP. It keeps the player interface the same, TV to TV -- at one point I got pressure to replace an earlier model Live plus with another Live-SMP because the interface on that unit was quite different and the family didn't like that. I use a DLNA server for content distribution which provides for a centrally managed content source that supplies the library's organization and playlists.

Quote:
The WD Live media players pass DTS-HD and True HD and cost under $100.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6694 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc)
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6695 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

Agreed....I only pointed this out for the purposes of supporting a guess that having HD audio capability (pass or decode) is probably doable in the $99 boxes from a cost price point standpoint. You further supported this by providing your example. I too put much value in a consistent interface throughout the home that every family member is familiar with, and that a is one of the reasons I am very happy with my setup and can live with only Dolby Digital 5.1 in my theater for now and use the blue ray discs for 7.1. Everything else works flawlessly.
post #6696 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
My Lacie LaCinemas bitstream HD audio. I got mine for $30 refurb.
post #6697 of 6699 Old Today, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I promise you it will not be that easy. "pressing one button" is none existent in this hobby. I have a dozen or so mouse clicks before I get my final product. Sure, if you want to just rip to MKV via DVDfab or makemkv then it will be much simpler... but to re-encode will likely lead you down many more steps to completion. DVDfab used to allow for a pretty seamless operation but I haven't used it since it booted me out of the program (free trial).

Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
post #6698 of 6699 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
MyBD looks promising... however you can only output 720p with the free version. If you are going to encode to H265 why not keep the product as close to original as possible?

I'm not sure about the other functionality limitations because I haven't used it. But I can only imagine that if you want to control some of the scaling options, audio options, subtitle options, container options etc. that it will be more than two clicks for a final product.

Currently, the most functional product I have encountered is makemkv coupled with handbrake. Those two pieces of software are all you need to back up BD movies.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6699 of 6699 Old Today, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Can you provide more details? Which version of the product? Input container (protected blu-ray disc or existing mkv or ...), input size etc
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page