Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 224 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6691 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Member
 
meegwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
HD audio in a $99 streaming device may be a bit much to ask. Are there any?

I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.

Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.
meegwell is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6692 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
DotJun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 942
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.



Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.

Have you looked at plex?
DotJun is offline  
post #6693 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I happen to like the AppleTV. I have three of them throughout the house and use various channels often. What I see and can access on this basement HT setup that I'm discussion here, is exactly the same as what I and my family can see and access in the living room upstairs, and in our bedroom another floor up.
I, for one, am of the opinion that one cannot overstate the value of interface consistency in a whole-house setup that is used by the family. That is why, in my case, all the media players around the house are WDTV Live-SMP. It keeps the player interface the same, TV to TV -- at one point I got pressure to replace an earlier model Live plus with another Live-SMP because the interface on that unit was quite different and the family didn't like that. I use a DLNA server for content distribution which provides for a centrally managed content source that supplies the library's organization and playlists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
HD audio in a $99 streaming device may be a bit much to ask. Are there any?
The WD Live media players pass DTS-HD and True HD and cost under $100.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #6694 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,285
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc)
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #6695 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Member
 
meegwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

Agreed....I only pointed this out for the purposes of supporting a guess that having HD audio capability (pass or decode) is probably doable in the $99 boxes from a cost price point standpoint. You further supported this by providing your example. I too put much value in a consistent interface throughout the home that every family member is familiar with, and that a is one of the reasons I am very happy with my setup and can live with only Dolby Digital 5.1 in my theater for now and use the blue ray discs for 7.1. Everything else works flawlessly.
meegwell is offline  
post #6696 of 6699 Old 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
artur9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: near philly
Posts: 760
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
HD audio in a $99 streaming device may be a bit much to ask. Are there any?
My Lacie LaCinemas bitstream HD audio. I got mine for $30 refurb.
artur9 is offline  
post #6697 of 6699 Old Today, 01:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I promise you it will not be that easy. "pressing one button" is none existent in this hobby. I have a dozen or so mouse clicks before I get my final product. Sure, if you want to just rip to MKV via DVDfab or makemkv then it will be much simpler... but to re-encode will likely lead you down many more steps to completion. DVDfab used to allow for a pretty seamless operation but I haven't used it since it booted me out of the program (free trial).

Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
CesarLorean is offline  
post #6698 of 6699 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
jhughy2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
MyBD looks promising... however you can only output 720p with the free version. If you are going to encode to H265 why not keep the product as close to original as possible?

I'm not sure about the other functionality limitations because I haven't used it. But I can only imagine that if you want to control some of the scaling options, audio options, subtitle options, container options etc. that it will be more than two clicks for a final product.

Currently, the most functional product I have encountered is makemkv coupled with handbrake. Those two pieces of software are all you need to back up BD movies.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

jhughy2010 is offline  
post #6699 of 6699 Old Today, 01:47 PM
Member
 
mike_carton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
Can you provide more details? Which version of the product? Input container (protected blu-ray disc or existing mkv or ...), input size etc
mike_carton is online now  
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off