Forum Jump: 
post #6691 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
HD audio in a $99 streaming device may be a bit much to ask. Are there any?

I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.

Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6692 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
I think the issue is more a file size one than cost. My HT ATV is wired all the way but typically these things are used wirelessly as in my other rooms where I have no desire for DTS-MA or TruHD.

Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc) price point is probably not the issue. Imo.

Have you looked at plex?
post #6693 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
I happen to like the AppleTV. I have three of them throughout the house and use various channels often. What I see and can access on this basement HT setup that I'm discussion here, is exactly the same as what I and my family can see and access in the living room upstairs, and in our bedroom another floor up.
I, for one, am of the opinion that one cannot overstate the value of interface consistency in a whole-house setup that is used by the family. That is why, in my case, all the media players around the house are WDTV Live-SMP. It keeps the player interface the same, TV to TV -- at one point I got pressure to replace an earlier model Live plus with another Live-SMP because the interface on that unit was quite different and the family didn't like that. I use a DLNA server for content distribution which provides for a centrally managed content source that supplies the library's organization and playlists.

Quote:
The WD Live media players pass DTS-HD and True HD and cost under $100.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6694 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Considering you can buy a new blu-ray player from a major brand for well under $100 that has the ability to not only pass through the HD audio bit stream but also has on-board DTS-MA and Dolby Tru-HD converters (and wi-fi, Ethernet, Netflix/Hulu/etc)
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6695 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
In most cases, BluRay players do not make for good streamers for ripped content. In most cases they support limited codecs and are DLNA clients and therefore need a DLNA server to deliver content and transcode where necessary. It is not a given that just because they can pass HD audio when playing from a disk that they can do the same when streaming from the network. Also, all BluRay players made after 2/12 include support for Cinavia so they probably won't stream any Cinavia protected content which means just about every Sony BD title released in the last 3 yr.

Agreed....I only pointed this out for the purposes of supporting a guess that having HD audio capability (pass or decode) is probably doable in the $99 boxes from a cost price point standpoint. You further supported this by providing your example. I too put much value in a consistent interface throughout the home that every family member is familiar with, and that a is one of the reasons I am very happy with my setup and can live with only Dolby Digital 5.1 in my theater for now and use the blue ray discs for 7.1. Everything else works flawlessly.
post #6696 of 6716 Unread 10-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
My Lacie LaCinemas bitstream HD audio. I got mine for $30 refurb.
post #6697 of 6716 Unread 10-25-2014, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I promise you it will not be that easy. "pressing one button" is none existent in this hobby. I have a dozen or so mouse clicks before I get my final product. Sure, if you want to just rip to MKV via DVDfab or makemkv then it will be much simpler... but to re-encode will likely lead you down many more steps to completion. DVDfab used to allow for a pretty seamless operation but I haven't used it since it booted me out of the program (free trial).

Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
post #6698 of 6716 Unread 10-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Hi, I download and do my first test with mybd, thus so for was great, perhaps it was a total of 2 hours to convert the bd to h265 but yes, 1 click only, well 2, first I selected the drive, then i clicked on convert, believe me its great and free
MyBD looks promising... however you can only output 720p with the free version. If you are going to encode to H265 why not keep the product as close to original as possible?

I'm not sure about the other functionality limitations because I haven't used it. But I can only imagine that if you want to control some of the scaling options, audio options, subtitle options, container options etc. that it will be more than two clicks for a final product.

Currently, the most functional product I have encountered is makemkv coupled with handbrake. Those two pieces of software are all you need to back up BD movies.

Theater set-up:  

AVR:  Pioneer VSX-820

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

Sub:  PSA-XV15

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

OTA antenna:  Winegard HD7698P

HDTV:  Sharp LC-60SQ15U

post #6699 of 6716 Unread 10-25-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CesarLorean View Post
Can you provide more details? Which version of the product? Input container (protected blu-ray disc or existing mkv or ...), input size etc
post #6700 of 6716 Unread 10-25-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 70
For anyone looking to purchase an external blu ray writer, Newegg has the Asus BW-12D1S-U LITE/BLK/G/AS for $75 after a $20 rebate.

It is well spec'd (USB 3.0) and has very good reviews overall. What do you guys think? Anyone own one of these? I'm a complete noob when it comes to ripping so I want to make sure I purchase the right hardware before I start dabbling.
post #6701 of 6716 Unread 10-26-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Sounds like a good price for an external BD writer. I have an old LG external BD writer from years ago that I got for $200 on sale. It was a great price at the time. Prices have really come down since then. But it was also a waste for me since I never really bothered burning anything but test discs. Burning BDs just take so much time. It's much easier to rip content to my server and play it back from the server. Or even just use an external hard drive or flash drive than to use optical media.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6702 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
So I hear this is a good thread for MakeMKV questions?

I've been unable to connect to makemkv.com all day to get the new registration key - cleared cache, rebooted router & modem, tried IE instead of FF so maybe an ISP DNS issue. I know the site is up and wanted to see if anyone could PM me the new key?

Thanks...
sdspga likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #6703 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
So I hear this is a good thread for MakeMKV questions?

I've been unable to connect to makemkv.com all day to get the new registration key - cleared cache, rebooted router & modem, tried IE instead of FF so maybe an ISP DNS issue. I know the site is up and wanted to see if anyone could PM me the new key?

Thanks...
PM sent
cc_in_oh likes this.

Theater set-up:  

Speakers:  5.1 consists of four NHT Classic Two bookshelf and an NHT TwoC center

HTPC - ridiculously over-the-top, home-built gaming PC that I tinker with daily!

post #6704 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
PM sent
Thank you - since the key didn't work, can you tell me whether 1.8.13 is still the current version? Got it on 30Sep so maybe obsolete by now?

CC

post #6705 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Thank you - since the key didn't work, can you tell me whether 1.8.13 is still the current version? Got it on 30Sep so maybe obsolete by now?
No problem. 14 is the current version. Now sure why the key wouldn't work.

Theater set-up:  

post #6706 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

I didn't realize a new version of MakeMKV came out last week. Version 1.8.14
Mine was three versions old. That is how rarely I use it.

I see they added support for Dolby Atmos audio streams.

LED DLP

post #6707 of 6716 Unread 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM

Quote:
No problem. 14 is the current version. Now sure why the key wouldn't work.
Yep - looks like I'm dead in the water for now - tomorrow I'll take my laptop over to the library and hopefully download the new version there.

Thanks for the help...

CC

post #6708 of 6716 Unread Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So first of all, I think this is an appropriate place to post this question, as opposed to starting a new thread (if not, my apologies in advance), as I think the question falls in line with the topic being discussed...

I have a Synology NAS I'm just starting to build, looking to rip DVDs and BluRays for family use. I plan to stream to various Iphone/Ipad devices, AND an Oppo BD103/Onkyo NR 626 (configured for 7.1). I think, to minimize transcoding on the Synology, I want to store the rips in (I think) .mp4 or maybe .m4v format. BUT, if I do that, I think I loose my 7.1 (HD Audio?) to the Oppo/Onkyo (correct)? And if correct, is there a format which will enable/maintain the Dolby True HD audio, while also playing nice with iPhone/Ipads.

With all of this said, in case not apparent, I'm extremely new to all of this and might be butchering what I think I know

All in all, is there a 'format' to store rip'ed DVD/Blu Rays in which maintains high vide resolution, and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD if present, while also allowing to stream appropriately to Apple devices?
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6709 of 6716 Unread Yesterday, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadams View Post
So first of all, I think this is an appropriate place to post this question, as opposed to starting a new thread (if not, my apologies in advance), as I think the question falls in line with the topic being discussed...

I have a Synology NAS I'm just starting to build, looking to rip DVDs and BluRays for family use. I plan to stream to various Iphone/Ipad devices, AND an Oppo BD103/Onkyo NR 626 (configured for 7.1). I think, to minimize transcoding on the Synology, I want to store the rips in (I think) .mp4 or maybe .m4v format. BUT, if I do that, I think I loose my 7.1 (HD Audio?) to the Oppo/Onkyo (correct)? And if correct, is there a format which will enable/maintain the Dolby True HD audio, while also playing nice with iPhone/Ipads.

With all of this said, in case not apparent, I'm extremely new to all of this and might be butchering what I think I know

All in all, is there a 'format' to store rip'ed DVD/Blu Rays in which maintains high vide resolution, and Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD if present, while also allowing to stream appropriately to Apple devices?
YOu are asking in enormous amount of questions that really require a separate thread to help you walk through it.

Here are some questions for you:

1. What are you using for your server? A NAS will not transcode sufficiently.

2. What software will you use to transcode? Mediabrowser? Plex?

3. If you plan on transcoding from a server and storing the media onto a NAS (which I recommend both), then you will not need to convert your media to MP4 (same as m4v). You should use makemkv or comparable software to rip your BD/DVD to MKV. Then store that media onto a NAS. Connect the NAS to a high quality router, connect your server to the high quality router. Use your server to transcode via Mediabrowser (I prefer but you can use plex) to all sorts of fine devices like apple, android, roku, etc.

High resolution audio will be a topic for another post as you'll not be getting either DTS HD or TrueHD unless you transcode to a compatible device.

Theater set-up:  

post #6710 of 6716 Unread Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not but I will take a stab at it since I can offer some advice.

I would suggest Ripping / Using the MKV Format it seems to be widely accepted and more so then others especially when it comes to certain players / apps. I would rip them at as high a quality as possible or as you want to use storage keeping in mind that a full blu-ray rip can take upwards of 30 - 40GB per movie. It will support whatever Audio you want including DTS.

I am not sure which Synology Box you have or are going to get as some are more powerful then others but most if not all of them support Plex, I would strongly suggest using plex as it can / will transcode your media for various players. This would be good for your various devices but that can be CPU Intensive which the Synology Boxes might have an issue with. I believe the newer "Play" Model has a beefier CPU.

When you are playing the movie on something like your Oppo you won't be using plex you will just be using the Synology Box as a Storage device and the Oppo will just play directly from there. When playing on your other devices like phone / tablet you will be using Plex which will transcode the media to a suitable format for the device that does include audio.

I would strongly suggest that you used Wired Connections to the Oppo Player and anything else you can and leave the wireless to only the devices that can't be wired (phones / tablets).

Plex also allows you (if you want) to access your media outside if your house / network. It is really good at it depending on what kind of Internet Speed you have going out / up which might be an issue depending on your provider.

I've been doing this for a long time in a lot of different directions and I have settled on a Synology NAS, a Dedicated System I built using some spare parts as a Plex Server, Roku 3's and Mede8er Players, as well as an HTPC and I love the experience. Plex is awesome and so relatively simple to use / set up.

Hope this helps, if I missed something let me know.
post #6711 of 6716 Unread Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am curious if anyone knows why some DVD / Blu Ray Drives read a disc faster (sometimes much faster) then others and it isn't consistent at all.

For example, I am ripping a Series (The original Addams Family) and while using MakeMKV my Asus Drive won't read the disc at more than say 3X while my Pioneer Blu Ray Drive will read it at 10 - 12x which obviously cuts the rip time considerably. The kicker is that there isn't any rhyme or reason to it, if the drive is reading really slow I switch it to the other one and 95% of the time it will read it much faster.

This will also happen with the Blu Ray drive as well (reading slower) so the DVD Drive is not consistently slow. I can't say if this happens with Blu Ray's as obviously the ASUS Drive won't read them.

Anyway just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has any explanation as to why this might happen and if there is anyway to do anything about it. Is there a drive out there that is better suited at reading a disc consistently faster
post #6712 of 6716 Unread Today, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The simple answer to this is that if you want to maintain only a single copy of a video title and you want it to be compatible across all of your devices and you don't want to transcode -- then you must rip and store that file in the lowest common denominator format that is compatible with the least of your devices.

If you want to obtain the highest fidelity that each device is capable of delivering then you must either store multiple versions of the title to accommodate all your devices or you must store a single high fidelity copy and employ a transcoding engine to deliver it to the lesser devices on-the-fly.

- kelson h

post #6713 of 6716 Unread Today, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I am curious if anyone knows why some DVD / Blu Ray Drives read a disc faster (sometimes much faster) then others and it isn't consistent at all.
I will see this also from time to time. Most BD drives come with riplock in their firmware which limits the ripping speed if it is not removed -- you must rewrite the firmware and accept the possibility of bricking your drive. There have been times where I will start a rip and see that it is very slow. Many times I will stop the rip and find that the simple act of opening the drive tray and moving the disk around so it will re-seat in the drive cures the problem and the disk rips at full speed.

Then there are times where I will try to rip the disk in several different drives and it is slow in each one. I can only conclude that the copy-protection is giving the ripping software more than its usual share of problems.

- kelson h

post #6714 of 6716 Unread Today, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Even with riplock 3X read speed is very slow. All my BD drives with untouched firmware read at least twice that fast.

LED DLP

post #6715 of 6716 Unread Today, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I didn't realize a new version of MakeMKV came out last week. Version 1.8.14
Mine was three versions old. That is how rarely I use it.

I see they added support for Dolby Atmos audio streams.
I ripped T4 3D with TsMuxer and Atmos worked perfectly with all Dunes that I have. I didn't think anything had to be added to extract the stream.
post #6716 of 6716 Unread Today, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
I ripped T4 3D with TsMuxer and Atmos worked perfectly with all Dunes that I have. I didn't think anything had to be added to extract the stream.
I don't know but that is what it said in the change log.

LED DLP

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com