Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 229 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That's part of the reason I am not up to date on this like I used to be. Using Mezzmo as the server and XBMC for the client I just stream all of the embedded subs. There are still a few times when I prefer to burn the forced subs over foreign speaking parts then I don't have to mess with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has Atmos track on the Redbox Rental.

Only one playlist.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has Atmos track on the Redbox Rental.

Only one playlist.
That's excellent. Usually rentals get DTS or DD with some movies. I really don't care for Atmos. I rather have DTS-MA.

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8599

Home Theater Set Up:

http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/8597

Old 12-16-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
That's excellent. Usually rentals get DTS or DD with some movies.
So far that appears to be pretty much Lions Gate.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s View Post
That's excellent. Usually rentals get DTS or DD with some movies. I really don't care for Atmos. I rather have DTS-MA.
I just "downgraded" my Denon AVR 5308CI to a Denon AVR X5200W with Atmos. I added 4 ceiling speakers as per Dolby Specs. I upgraded all 7 speakers to B&Ws and am thrilled. I was on the fence about Atmos until I actually heard it in play. The Atmos 7.2.4 is a worthy upgrade and surpasses even the mighty DTS MA for sound immersion. I highly recommend it for anyone with the space or the resources. The DSU processing is incredible and fills the room with sound. Native tracks are limited but the DSU makes my favorite movies come alive. It is like watching/hearing them for the first time. The Dunes bitstream Atmos perfectly to the Denon AVR. Eagerly waiting for a true Denon AVR 5308CI replacement with Atmos.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I upgraded all 7 speakers to B&Ws
I guess it better with that kind of expense + AVR + cables!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
I guess it better with that kind of expense + AVR + cables!
Not too bad. I cleared out Best Buy Magnolia in Pembroke Pines Florida when remodeling. I grabbed CM10s (L and R), CM9s ( Surrounds) CM5s(Surround Back) CM2 (Center) all for 60-70% off. Could not pass it up. Always liked the way they sound and love the black gloss finish.

Last edited by blackssr; 12-16-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
I just "downgraded" my Denon AVR 5308CI to a Denon AVR X5200W with Atmos. I added 4 ceiling speakers as per Dolby Specs. I upgraded all 7 speakers to B&Ws and am thrilled. I was on the fence about Atmos until I actually heard it in play. The Atmos 7.2.4 is a worthy upgrade and surpasses even the mighty DTS MA for sound immersion. I highly recommend it for anyone with the space or the resources. The DSU processing is incredible and fills the room with sound. Native tracks are limited but the DSU makes my favorite movies come alive. It is like watching/hearing them for the first time. The Dunes bitstream Atmos perfectly to the Denon AVR. Eagerly waiting for a true Denon AVR 5308CI replacement with Atmos.
This is interesting as I just pulled the trigger on the X5200 (should have it tomorrow) and will be going with an Atmos 5.1.4 setup as I can't really do surround back speakers. I can't wait to get it all setup and see how it sounds.

My question is how does it do with non Atmos Movies? There aren't many of them out there yet but I believe that the receiver will still use the additional speakers if you want? Does it really add something to a Non-Atmos Movie?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
This is interesting as I just pulled the trigger on the X5200 (should have it tomorrow) and will be going with an Atmos 5.1.4 setup as I can't really do surround back speakers. I can't wait to get it all setup and see how it sounds.

My question is how does it do with non Atmos Movies? There aren't many of them out there yet but I believe that the receiver will still use the additional speakers if you want? Does it really add something to a Non-Atmos Movie?
As we'll as a multichannel listening mode "adds" to stereo content.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post

I was on fence for a while also. I really loved my 7.1 setup with the Denon AVR 5308CI. The DSU of the Denon X5200W adds more overhead effects and "opens up" the sound field to surround the listener with subtle but noticeable realism.
It definitely was worth the "downgrade" for me. I run 7.2.4 and look forward for more Atmos content. The DSU is worth the upgrade alone. TV shows and PC Games also benefit from it. In the Walking Dead, it was raining in one scene and the rain was coming from above. In Borderlands sounds also come from above if enemy is above you or in a helicopter.

Last edited by blackssr; 12-17-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Not too bad. I cleared out Best Buy Magnolia in Pembroke Pines Florida when remodeling. I grabbed CM10s (L and R), CM9s ( Surrounds) CM5s(Surround Back) CM2 (Center) all for 60-70% off. Could not pass it up. Always liked the way they sound and love the black gloss finish.
Curious: What speakers did you use for the ceiling?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuz1 View Post
Curious: What speakers did you use for the ceiling?
B&W CCM382 x 4 pcs. High humidity rated. TF & TR

South Florida summers are tough, especially in the attic.

Last edited by blackssr; 12-17-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I'll have my external blu ray burner delivered tomorrow. Complete noob when it comes to ripping but I've decided to just dive in and see how it works out. I'll be ripping my blu ray collection to my toshiba external HDD into an MKV format. The toshiba will be hooked up to my Oppo 103D which should have no problem playing it. MakeMKV will be my software of choice so hopefully it won't be a hard learning curve.

Any one recommend any beginner sites/ resources for complete noobs? Where does one go to when they first start out?
Old 12-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I'll have my external blu ray burner delivered tomorrow. Complete noob when it comes to ripping but I've decided to just dive in and see how it works out. I'll be ripping my blu ray collection to my toshiba external HDD into an MKV format. The toshiba will be hooked up to my Oppo 103D which should have no problem playing it. MakeMKV will be my software of choice so hopefully it won't be a hard learning curve.

Any one recommend any beginner sites/ resources for complete noobs? Where does one go to when they first start out?
Read the first post of this thread, and a few pages past it. Then read the last MONTH of newest posts. The thread meanders on and off course in that time, but should have enough relevance. After you've done that, ask more questions if needed. Or just gather and play with the tools/techniques and see what happens. You can't break anything.

You are ON one of the best, if not the best resources for ripping Blu-Rays.

Jeff
Kelson likes this.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

You are ON one of the best, if not the best resources for ripping Blu-Rays.

Jeff
Don't forget about being a resource for arguing about transcoding and storage space as well!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Thanks! I have been following this thread for the last couple of months which has helped quite a lot
Old 12-19-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm like Chere - noob, read several hundred posts here.. so hopefully this will be a logical question and not completely boneheaded. Several folks have mentioned their 3-year-old as being the reason they got started ripping. That's me! Mine grabs my 3D Cars 2 package and just starts pulling out discs. Arrgh! So I practiced with smaller titles like Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus is Coming to Town which I just bought on Blu-Ray. I created the MKV file with MakeMKV, then used Handbrake to pull out the main title. I followed the suggestions a couple of pages back in this thread to get lossless encoding and practiced with subtitles a bit. (With my 3-year old, you ALWAYS have to use subtitles because he talks through everything.)

Next I tried Cars 2. Just the Blu-Ray - not the 3D one. The MKV created fine. Handbrake scanned all of the titles, and it settled on title 161. It says "161 00923.MPLS (01:47:01)." That seemed right - it's close to 2 hours.. so I pressed Start and let it work its magic overnight. Then I moved the file into my Plex library and pulled it up for him on the iPad. (Not COMPLETELY a noob now, right?)

All looked great... until I noticed that the coordinates in the ocean for Finn McMissile were printed in SPANISH. Oops! I figured at first that I got the subtitles wrong. But after glancing over at the movie a couple of times while he watched it, I noticed that the whole thing was in Spanish! Not the audio - that was great. But the Tire Store said "Casa De Tires" or something like that. I guess it's a completely different rendering of the movie, because it had Spanish stuff all over. Funny!

So I went back into Handbrake, and I noticed another title: "162 00924.MLPS (01:46:16)". I figured that must be the English rendering. But why is it 45 second shorter? That's question 1. So I clicked Start and let it render again the next night.

When I got up to check the print, the Disney logo, the Cars logo, and Finn McMissile's coordinates were all in English. Success! Except that when I turned on the volume, I have the English Descriptive Service audio on. While SUPER aggravating, at least it was funny to hear her describe the Disney logo. "Fireworks pop over the castle. Words appear." etc. UGH.

So I chose the 'other' audio track on that title. Same thing. On closer inspection, title 161 has all of the normal language soundtracks (English, French, Spanish etc) and 45 extra seconds of movie. 162 has the correct street signs and logos, but no normal English audio. I figure that's a good trick by Disney to keep me from doing this, but that's why I read AVSForum.com, right? So I throw myself upon the mercy of the Ripping Blu-Rays II thread:

1. Why is title 162 :45 shorter than title 161?
2. How do I get the English video and the English Audio to work together?
3. Is this a common movie studio tactic, or is it just Disney being extra-difficult?

Thanks all!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
I'm like Chere - noob, read several hundred posts here.. so hopefully this will be a logical question and not completely boneheaded. Several folks have mentioned their 3-year-old as being the reason they got started ripping. That's me! Mine grabs my 3D Cars 2 package and just starts pulling out discs. Arrgh! So I practiced with smaller titles like Frosty the Snowman and Santa Claus is Coming to Town which I just bought on Blu-Ray. I created the MKV file with MakeMKV, then used Handbrake to pull out the main title. I followed the suggestions a couple of pages back in this thread to get lossless encoding and practiced with subtitles a bit. (With my 3-year old, you ALWAYS have to use subtitles because he talks through everything.)

Next I tried Cars 2. Just the Blu-Ray - not the 3D one. The MKV created fine. Handbrake scanned all of the titles, and it settled on title 161. It says "161 00923.MPLS (01:47:01)." That seemed right - it's close to 2 hours.. so I pressed Start and let it work its magic overnight. Then I moved the file into my Plex library and pulled it up for him on the iPad. (Not COMPLETELY a noob now, right?)

All looked great... until I noticed that the coordinates in the ocean for Finn McMissile were printed in SPANISH. Oops! I figured at first that I got the subtitles wrong. But after glancing over at the movie a couple of times while he watched it, I noticed that the whole thing was in Spanish! Not the audio - that was great. But the Tire Store said "Casa De Tires" or something like that. I guess it's a completely different rendering of the movie, because it had Spanish stuff all over. Funny!

So I went back into Handbrake, and I noticed another title: "162 00924.MLPS (01:46:16)". I figured that must be the English rendering. But why is it 45 second shorter? That's question 1. So I clicked Start and let it render again the next night.

When I got up to check the print, the Disney logo, the Cars logo, and Finn McMissile's coordinates were all in English. Success! Except that when I turned on the volume, I have the English Descriptive Service audio on. While SUPER aggravating, at least it was funny to hear her describe the Disney logo. "Fireworks pop over the castle. Words appear." etc. UGH.

So I chose the 'other' audio track on that title. Same thing. On closer inspection, title 161 has all of the normal language soundtracks (English, French, Spanish etc) and 45 extra seconds of movie. 162 has the correct street signs and logos, but no normal English audio. I figure that's a good trick by Disney to keep me from doing this, but that's why I read AVSForum.com, right? So I throw myself upon the mercy of the Ripping Blu-Rays II thread:

1. Why is title 162 :45 shorter than title 161?
2. How do I get the English video and the English Audio to work together?
3. Is this a common movie studio tactic, or is it just Disney being extra-difficult?

Thanks all!
Ok you definitely don't need to use handbrake for any of this. Handbrake is mainly for re-encoding into different formats or to reduce file size. If you want your MKV to be in MP4 and under 4GB that's when you use Handbrake.

So for Cars 2 you open up makemkv and it will bring up a list of things checked or unchecked. Cars 2 has two main titles... one is english and the other is spanish. These will be obvious because they have the largest size with chapters. Check both those boxes and uncheck every other box. Then those two titles you'll expand and check only DTS-HD track and its daughter DTS track. You can grab DD if you want as well. I uncheck all subtitle tracks except English. Check both the main and daughter track under every english check box.

Now rip the movie and you'll end up with two files. Play the beginning of both and determine which is english. Discard the other.

Since you unchecked all the boxes except the main feature film you'll have a default HD audio track, everything is lossless and the forced subs should be enabled. If the forced subs aren't enabled you'll need mergemkv to fix it. We'll teach you how once you get that far.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
Old 12-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ok you definitely don't need to use handbrake for any of this. Handbrake is mainly for re-encoding into different formats or to reduce file size. If you want your MKV to be in MP4 and under 4GB that's when you use Handbrake.

So for Cars 2 you open up makemkv and it will bring up a list of things checked or unchecked. Cars 2 has two main titles... one is english and the other is spanish. These will be obvious because they have the largest size with chapters. Check both those boxes and uncheck every other box. Then those two titles you'll expand and check only DTS-HD track and its daughter DTS track. You can grab DD if you want as well. I uncheck all subtitle tracks except English. Check both the main and daughter track under every english check box.

Now rip the movie and you'll end up with two files. Play the beginning of both and determine which is english. Discard the other.

Since you unchecked all the boxes except the main feature film you'll have a default HD audio track, everything is lossless and the forced subs should be enabled. If the forced subs aren't enabled you'll need mergemkv to fix it. We'll teach you how once you get that far.
Awesome - I'll get started on that right away. Thank you for the quick reply!

I may do a lossy file for the animated movies that he will watch on the iPad - but I figure that we may end up watching on the big screen occasionally, so I want to go ahead and max out the audio and video just in case. Finding problems like this is the best way to learn, right?
jhughy2010 likes this.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photokid1970 View Post
Awesome - I'll get started on that right away. Thank you for the quick reply!

I may do a lossy file for the animated movies that he will watch on the iPad - but I figure that we may end up watching on the big screen occasionally, so I want to go ahead and max out the audio and video just in case. Finding problems like this is the best way to learn, right?
Yep. Once you get the hang of it the process is pretty seamless.

HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Did anyone have difficulty encoding amazing spider man 2? It wouldn't encode in its entirety without my encoder spitting out an error. I ended up having to split it in two at frame 15318, then appending the two resulting files after compression.
Old Yesterday, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No I did not.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Did anyone have difficulty encoding amazing spider man 2? It wouldn't encode in its entirety without my encoder spitting out an error. I ended up having to split it in two at frame 15318, then appending the two resulting files after compression.
I've never even heard of this. Are you using Handbrake? Which build?

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
Don't forget about being a resource for arguing about transcoding and storage space as well!
Side roads along the way.

Jeff
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectrader View Post

Sent from my kfthwi ...
wtf?
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
I've never even heard of this. Are you using Handbrake? Which build?

I use megui with dgindexnv to frame serve. I also use 64 bit x264 @ 10bit depth.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM

first off you will need a program to recovert the blue ray to a iso image file i use any dvd for decrypting the blue ray disc and xilisoft to rip the main blue ray title that works mostly there is mkv how ever the problem is the encryption key so far i ahve had only issue with the girl the the dragon tatto series when i run into encryption issue i use bd to avcd the over all issue is going to be the p.c and and codecs to play the files vlc is a good bit of media player how ever latly when i have played a file the colors is off another issue is ripping the blue ray takes a lot of time and non of the software is cheap the over all issue with blue ray is the encryption key there is some talk that the keys are not too unique with xilisoft some disc stop after a percentage done and your left to guess at the main title usually the largest file ripping blu ray disc is more difficult and time consuming than ripping dvds
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

i would love to know the specs on some ones machine that can rip a blue ray in less than an hour my setup takes several hours
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho2012 View Post
i would love to know the specs on some ones machine that can rip a blue ray in less than an hour my setup takes several hours
It's trivial to rip in less than an hour. A 2 hour movie at 4X should (and does) take half an hour for a one to one copy. Perhaps you are confusing the ripping (one to one copy) with encoding (applying additional compression). Encoding takes time. I have a 4 or 5 year old i7 2600 and an LG drive and using MakeMKV have never taken near an hour.
Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
It's trivial to rip in less than an hour. A 2 hour movie at 4X should (and does) take half an hour for a one to one copy. Perhaps you are confusing the ripping (one to one copy) with encoding (applying additional compression). Encoding takes time. I have a 4 or 5 year old i7 2600 and an LG drive and using MakeMKV have never taken near an hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho2012 View Post
I think we need a little more information on your process. When you say "Rip" what are you using for software? Are you doing any kind of conversion of the Rip. As olyteddy mentioned to just rip a movie shouldn't take more than 15 - 30 minutes depending on how large the movie it (they can range from say 10GB all the way up to 40GB+ for something like Avatar. This is obviously without any compression. This is using a current 16X Drive which I never see going any faster than say 10 - 12x but sometimes for some reason can / will only read at 2 to 4x which will also slow down the process.

Another question would be where are you storing the files when you do rip them? Are you copying them on your PC itself or on an external drive or NAS? This can also affect the process significantly.

If you are talking about using something like DVD Fab or Handbrake to convert the movie from its original state well that is a different story as that can take several hours depending on the level of compression you use and the desired file size.

So for me to rip a Blu-Ray using something like MakeMKV will take anywhere from 5 - 20 minutes depending on the size of the movie and the speed at which the drive will read the disc. To convert a movie using Handbrake to a smaller file size takes about 2 - 3 hours depending on the file size. Keep in mind that Handbrake doesn't decode discs you will need something else running in the background to do that.

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player