post #6871 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho2012 View Post
i would love to know the specs on some ones machine that can rip a blue ray in less than an hour my setup takes several hours
Google "riplock."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6872 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 853
I see Slysoft finally came out with their CloneBD software. Which allows you to shrink down a BD to different sizes depending on where you want to play it back. On a BD-25, BD-50, BD-9, BD-5, on a tablet, phone etc.... It still needs AnyDVD HD running in the background for Decryption.
They also say that " 3D Blu-ray and H.265/HEVC is not supported yet, but will be available soon."

I haven't tried it out since I only rip 1:1 ISOs and after shrinking hundreds of DVDs in the early 2000's I swore I would never mess around with that process again. It's just easier and quicker for me to rip 1:1 and be done with it since storage is so inexpensive.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-21-2014 at 09:40 AM.
post #6873 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
+1
post #6874 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Ok what is the best FREE alternative to makemkv? I am having trouble getting Expendables 3 to open. Makemkv says it cannot open the disc because the disc uses a newer version of AACS protection. I opened a thread at makemkv picking their brains to see what the deal is. This is the 3rd disc I have tried on two different computers all with the latest version of makemkv.

I rip only the main title with all English subs. I like my files to be MKV. So far as I can tell AnyDVD doesn't have the same functionality as makemkv as far as only ripping main title into a single file container. Handbrake would work but I need to have something running in the background correct? Also I want the file to be a mirror copy of the main film and am wondering if simply placing Handbrakes RF value to 0 would accomplish this.

Living room theater set-up:  
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1124-K.
Speakers/Sub: (4) NHT Classic Two and an NHT TwoC center + PSA-XV15 subwoofer.
HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
Content sources: OTA Winegard HD7698P, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Netflix etc.
HDTV: Sharp LC-60SQ15U (ehhh).
post #6875 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
Ok what is the best FREE alternative to makemkv? I am having trouble getting Expendables 3 to open. Makemkv says it cannot open the disc because the disc uses a newer version of AACS protection. I opened a thread at makemkv picking their brains to see what the deal is. This is the 3rd disc I have tried on two different computers all with the latest version of makemkv.

I rip only the main title with all English subs. I like my files to be MKV. So far as I can tell AnyDVD doesn't have the same functionality as makemkv as far as only ripping main title into a single file container. Handbrake would work but I need to have something running in the background correct? Also I want the file to be a mirror copy of the main film and am wondering if simply placing Handbrakes RF value to 0 would accomplish this.
You can run ANy DVD HD in the background with makeMKV. Just ignore the warnings that MakeMKV gives you. AnyDVD HD is updated regularly. When there is an issue with a disc they usually have an update for it within a few days.

The biggest issue with titles like the expendables is having the correct playlist so the scenes will play in the correct order. I usually find that info from the Slysoft forums.
jhughy2010 likes this.

LED DLP
post #6876 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
You can use AnyDVD HD with TsMuxer to rip the BD to a single .m2ts file. Load the correct playlist into TsMuxer and you can select and deselect any stream from the BR. You will need the program BDInfo to identify the correct playlist but TsMuxer & BDInfo are both free and I like the control a lot better than when I messed around with MakeMKV. Most devices will support .m2ts but you may have trouble with supported subs. I always just remux into .mkv or .mp4 using MKVToolnix/MKVMerge or MP4BoxGUI.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu...blu-ray-to-mkv

I just followed that guide, except that after I load the right playlist I just deselect the streams I don't want and choose <.M2TS Muxing> to get one container with everything in it. Then you can basically just drag the .m2ts file into MKVToolnix and hit Start.

You could also rip to .iso with AnyDVD Ripper or IMGBurn. That will remove the DRM. Then you can mount the .iso as a virtual drive and run it through MakeMKV. The actual rip will take the normal 30-45 minutes but the 2nd rip should only take 6-8 minutes since you will be working with the speed of your HDD instead of the speed of the BD Drive. It's basically the same process I described above except that with TsMuxer you don't even rip the crap you don't want in the first place.

Quote:
Do not use Handbrake as you will re encode every time. It will take hours and hours to rip and even at 0, which is supposed to be Placebo, it is still re encoding and you will end up with a file that is way bigger than the original BD. If you feel the need to use Handbrake, a CRF setting of 16 is the highest you should ever need to go and 18 should be pretty much identical. It will still take hours to rip it, though.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by smitbret; 12-21-2014 at 11:07 AM.
post #6877 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I see Slysoft finally came out with their CloneBD software. Which allows you to shrink down a BD to different sizes depending on where you want to play it back. On a BD-25, BD-50, BD-9, BD-5, on a tablet, phone etc.... It still needs AnyDVD HD running in the background for Decryption.
They also say that " 3D Blu-ray and H.265/HEVC is not supported yet, but will be available soon."

I haven't tried it out since I only rip 1:1 ISOs and after shrinking hundreds of DVDs in the early 2000's I swore I would never mess around with that process again. It's just easier and quicker for me to rip 1:1 and be done with it since storage is so inexpensive.
After ripping to a bit for bit format I have been using Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for this. You pick your device (iPad, smartphone, etc.) for the output file and it makes an optimized file. For example, I pick some movies for "output" iPad for plane trip viewing on the iPad/Beats Studio Wireless combo.
post #6878 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Google "riplock."
30-45 minutes with my Asus BD Drive.

It seems like you are more likely to run into Riplock with a BD Burner than with a regular BD Drive.
post #6879 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post

It seems like you are more likely to run into Riplock with a BD Burner than with a regular BD Drive.
I think my Pioneer BDR-2209 has it, but it seems like riplock only activates for certain titles. I've been tempted to buy a read-only BD drive for ripping and use the writer for nothing but disc burning.
post #6880 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
After ripping to a bit for bit format I have been using Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for this. You pick your device (iPad, smartphone, etc.) for the output file and it makes an optimized file. For example, I pick some movies for "output" iPad for plane trip viewing on the iPad/Beats Studio Wireless combo.
Handbrake also has those presets. Is the Wondershare program any faster?
post #6881 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You can use AnyDVD HD with TsMuxer to rip the BD to a single .m2ts file. Load the correct playlist into TsMuxer and you can select and deselect any stream from the BR. You will need the program BDInfo to identify the correct playlist but TsMuxer & BDInfo are both free and I like the control a lot better than when I messed around with MakeMKV. Most devices will support .m2ts but you may have trouble with supported subs. I always just remux into .mkv or .mp4 using MKVToolnix/MKVMerge or MP4BoxGUI.

http://www.dvd-guides.com/guides/blu...blu-ray-to-mkv

I just followed that guide, except that after I load the right playlist I just deselect the streams I don't want and choose <.M2TS Muxing> to get one container with everything in it. Then you can basically just drag the .m2ts file into MKVToolnix and hit Start.

You could also rip to .iso with AnyDVD Ripper or IMGBurn. That will remove the DRM. Then you can mount the .iso as a virtual drive and run it through MakeMKV. The actual rip will take the normal 30-45 minutes but the 2nd rip should only take 6-8 minutes since you will be working with the speed of your HDD instead of the speed of the BD Drive. It's basically the same process I described above except that with TsMuxer you don't even rip the crap you don't want in the first place.

Do not use Handbrake as you will re encode every time. It will take hours and hours to rip and even at 0, which is supposed to be Placebo, it is still re encoding and you will end up with a file that is way bigger than the original BD. If you feel the need to use Handbrake, a CRF setting of 16 is the highest you should ever need to go and 18 should be pretty much identical. It will still take hours to rip it, though.
Thank you I will give it a try. I noticed AnyDVD has a trial period. Does it require purchasing after the trial period? How about IMGBurn? How do you mount to a virtual drive?

HTPC: z97 mobo, 16GB mem, i5-4440, SSD+HD, LG BD drive, Win 8.1 pro w/WMC + MB3.
post #6882 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Handbrake also has those presets. Is the Wondershare program any faster?
I don't know and it's not free which seems to be against the religion of many in this thread. I bought it years ago on one of their limited time sales and it's a slick program that has worked well for me.
post #6883 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Thank you I will give it a try. I noticed AnyDVD has a trial period. Does it require purchasing after the trial period? How about IMGBurn? How do you mount to a virtual drive?
Yeah AnyDVD has a 25 day trial. You will have to buy it after that. It's not cheap but if your ripping project is large and is measured in hundreds of discs and will take several months then you won't regret it.

If it's just a couple dozen discs then just working through MakeMKV will be the better investment.

You just mentioned it originally so I wrongly assumed you had purchased it already.

Everything else I mentioned is completely free; IMGBurn, BDInfo, MKVToolNix/MKVMerge, MP4BoxGUI, (MakeMKV while it is in Beta). I use WinCDEmu to mount my .iso files:

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/tutorials/mount/

It's awesome, just right-click on the .iso and assign it a drive letter. Then it looks just a like another BD Drive with the disc already in it.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Last edited by smitbret; 12-21-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #6884 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I don't know and it's not free which seems to be against the religion of many in this thread. I bought it years ago on one of their limited time sales and it's a slick program that has worked well for me.
Nothing wrong with paying for features you want and need. Just that most people in these threads have enough of a working knowledge that they don't need to have the streamlined processes and interfaces that the paid options provide.

I am mostly curious about whether or not Wondershare actually provides a 1:1 remux or if it is re encoding everything.

Last edited by smitbret; 12-21-2014 at 11:51 AM.
post #6885 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
most people in these threads have enough of a working knowledge that they don't need to have the streamlined processes and interfaces
That would be me but after having been a coder for 30+ years I don't mind paying the man for good stuff, whipersnapper.
post #6886 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

I wonder why that is? After all, it is the reading process that is throttled by riplock.

Jeff
post #6887 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah AnyDVD has a 25 day trial. You will have to buy it after that. It's not cheap but if your ripping project is large and is measured in hundreds of discs and will take several months then you won't regret it.

If it's just a couple dozen discs then just working through MakeMKV will be the better investment.

You just mentioned it originally so I wrongly assumed you had purchased it already.

Everything else I mentioned is completely free; IMGBurn, BDInfo, MKVToolNix/MKVMerge, MP4BoxGUI, (MakeMKV while it is in Beta). I use WinCDEmu to mount my .iso files:

http://wincdemu.sysprogs.org/tutorials/mount/

It's awesome, just right-click on the .iso and assign it a drive letter. Then it looks just a like another BD Drive with the disc already in it.
Ok thanks again. IMGBurn opened the disc but said it will not work because of copy protection. It asked if I would like to continue anyway so I did just to experiment. I guess we will wait and see what happens but I seriously doubt it removed protection.

Makemkv works for me just about every time but this disc (Expendables 3) just seems to not work.

My next step will be AnyDVD if IMGBurn doesnt remove protection.

post #6888 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I think my Pioneer BDR-2209 has it, but it seems like riplock only activates for certain titles. I've been tempted to buy a read-only BD drive for ripping and use the writer for nothing but disc burning.
SO far I've only run into it on Fox titles with that drive. I have the BDR-209 which should be basically the same but without the ability to read BDXL media.

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-21-2014 at 12:13 PM.
post #6889 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

It does not.
post #6890 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It does not.
OK care to make any suggestions?

post #6891 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Ok thanks again. IMGBurn opened the disc but said it will not work because of copy protection. It asked if I would like to continue anyway so I did just to experiment. I guess we will wait and see what happens but I seriously doubt it removed protection.

Makemkv works for me just about every time but this disc (Expendables 3) just seems to not work.

It doesn't. You're making a DRM enrypted image now. You won't be able to do anything with it.

At this point, there's only a handful of programs that defeat DRM and only MakeMKV is free in any fashion.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #6892 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
OK care to make any suggestions?
Same as it ever was ... AnyDVD HD, a DVDFab product or, for more limited output formats, MakeMKV. Maybe there's another, but I have used AnyDVD HD for years and haven't kept up to date.

Jeff
post #6893 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It doesn't. You're making a DRM enrypted image now. You won't be able to do anything with it.

At this point, there's only a handful of programs that defeat DRM and only MakeMKV is free in any fashion.
Copy that... Literally

Working through the guide you posted now. Thanks again!

post #6894 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
SO far I've only run into it on Fox titles with that drive. I have the BDR-209 which should be basically the same but without the ability to read BDXL media.
I just noticed some go pretty quick and some take forever. I'll start paying attention to the studio now. Thanks.
post #6895 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know and it's not free which seems to be against the religion of many in this thread.
I don't mind paying a fair price for useful software. I have donated to Guide Tool, bought VideoReDo and have a lifetime PlexPass. I probably should send some money to MakeMKV, Handbrake and MCEBuddy. I use them regularly.
Gary J and jhughy2010 like this.
post #6896 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok with AnyDVD running in the background makemkv is able to get past copy protection. Very strange that I had trouble with makemkv. Their forum members suggest it was a bad disc but I have tried 3 so far all with the same results.

post #6897 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 10
that is the problem with alot of the rippers i use any dvd to decrypt i have had great success with xilisoft if that stops working i use bdtoavchd there is a bit of software that decrypts the keys i have yet to figure out how that works some sites post keys anydvd has an option to go online to find a key i belive
post #6898 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Doesn't DVDFab have a free, though not updated as quickly, decryption tool?
post #6899 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Doesn't DVDFab have a free, though not updated as quickly, decryption tool?
They've been having trouble in just keeping their website up lately. I'm not even sure where they are at.
post #6900 of 6927 Unread 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Wireless member

DVDFab HD Decrypter is the free product I was thinking of. If you know someone not in the US, the website they would see is different from the one served to US-based visitors.

Jeff
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com