Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #6901 of 6904 Unread Yesterday, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 112
So I just finished ripping my first blu ray disc and boy did it take a while. I should have probably chosen an easier disc from my collection but instead I went with with Avatar 3D. I unchecked 3D and everything else except for all the english subtitles and audio and the whole thing still came at 30.5GB. It took about an hour and 35 mins to rip the whole thing.

I used MakeMKV and now have my 5TB HDD hooked up to my Oppo 103D and man it looks amazing. It was completely worth it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to rip a movie faster the next time I jump right back in ? I'm using a USB 3.0 Asus external blu ray burner hooked up to my Dell laptop's corresponding USB 3.0 port. My laptop has 8GB of RAM and my toshiba external hard drive is also USB 3.0.

I want to Thank everyone here for all the helpful advice which has been a lot of help especially for someone like me who's not as computer savvy to begin with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6904 Unread Yesterday, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
So I just finished ripping my first blu ray disc and boy did it take a while. I should have probably chosen an easier disc from my collection but instead I went with with Avatar 3D. I unchecked 3D and everything else except for all the english subtitles and audio and the whole thing still came at 30.5GB. It took about an hour and 35 mins to rip the whole thing.

I used MakeMKV and now have my 5TB HDD hooked up to my Oppo 103D and man it looks amazing. It was completely worth it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to rip a movie faster the next time I jump right back in ? I'm using a USB 3.0 Asus external blu ray burner hooked up to my Dell laptop's corresponding USB 3.0 port. My laptop has 8GB of RAM and my toshiba external hard drive is also USB 3.0.

I want to Thank everyone here for all the helpful advice which has been a lot of help especially for someone like me who's not as computer savvy to begin with
Yes. Get a real computer. You'll never get great speed reading from an external drive and writing back to one. Good job for what you have though.
post #6903 of 6904 Unread Yesterday, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 112
^^ Hmm, not sure what you mean but I have a high end laptop with very good specs. Anyways I just ripped my 2nd bluray (Skyfall) and it only took 26 minutes

The only thing I did different this time is use the opposite ends (left and right) of my laptop's USB 3.0 ports to hook up the external blu ray burner and the external hard drive instead of next to each other. My Avatar BD included both the 2D and 3D versions too so maybe that's why it took longer although I only chose the 2D rip.
post #6904 of 6904 Unread Today, 12:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1046 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Yes. Get a real computer. You'll never get great speed reading from an external drive and writing back to one. Good job for what you have though.
It depends. If you get a decent enclosure and stick a drive in there you can get similar speeds to when connected to an internal SATA port. At least that has been my experience with the drives I have put in external enclosures.

For instance when I got my Pioneer BD rom drive I took out my LG UH12NS29/30 and put it in an exclosure. I then tried one of the titles I had tested ripping speeds with last week. I got similar speeds with it in the external enclosure. It was only around 20 seconds slower. They both hit over 6x speeds with the dual layer disc. I need to try it with a full 50GB disc to try and max it out. I do only h ave USB 2.0 enclosures so that will limit how high it can go. I really should get a USB 3.0 enclosure for this LG drive since it is faster than the other drives I have in external enclosures.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; Today at 12:14 AM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page