Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 231 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6901 of 6929 Old 12-21-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 113
So I just finished ripping my first blu ray disc and boy did it take a while. I should have probably chosen an easier disc from my collection but instead I went with with Avatar 3D. I unchecked 3D and everything else except for all the english subtitles and audio and the whole thing still came at 30.5GB. It took about an hour and 35 mins to rip the whole thing.

I used MakeMKV and now have my 5TB HDD hooked up to my Oppo 103D and man it looks amazing. It was completely worth it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to rip a movie faster the next time I jump right back in ? I'm using a USB 3.0 Asus external blu ray burner hooked up to my Dell laptop's corresponding USB 3.0 port. My laptop has 8GB of RAM and my toshiba external hard drive is also USB 3.0.

I want to Thank everyone here for all the helpful advice which has been a lot of help especially for someone like me who's not as computer savvy to begin with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 6929 Old 12-21-2014, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
So I just finished ripping my first blu ray disc and boy did it take a while. I should have probably chosen an easier disc from my collection but instead I went with with Avatar 3D. I unchecked 3D and everything else except for all the english subtitles and audio and the whole thing still came at 30.5GB. It took about an hour and 35 mins to rip the whole thing.

I used MakeMKV and now have my 5TB HDD hooked up to my Oppo 103D and man it looks amazing. It was completely worth it.

Any suggestions on what I can do to rip a movie faster the next time I jump right back in ? I'm using a USB 3.0 Asus external blu ray burner hooked up to my Dell laptop's corresponding USB 3.0 port. My laptop has 8GB of RAM and my toshiba external hard drive is also USB 3.0.

I want to Thank everyone here for all the helpful advice which has been a lot of help especially for someone like me who's not as computer savvy to begin with
Yes. Get a real computer. You'll never get great speed reading from an external drive and writing back to one. Good job for what you have though.
post #6903 of 6929 Old 12-21-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ Hmm, not sure what you mean but I have a high end laptop with very good specs. Anyways I just ripped my 2nd bluray (Skyfall) and it only took 26 minutes

The only thing I did different this time is use the opposite ends (left and right) of my laptop's USB 3.0 ports to hook up the external blu ray burner and the external hard drive instead of next to each other. My Avatar BD included both the 2D and 3D versions too so maybe that's why it took longer although I only chose the 2D rip.
post #6904 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Yes. Get a real computer. You'll never get great speed reading from an external drive and writing back to one. Good job for what you have though.
It depends. If you get a decent enclosure and stick a drive in there you can get similar speeds to when connected to an internal SATA port. At least that has been my experience with the drives I have put in external enclosures.

For instance when I got my Pioneer BD rom drive I took out my LG UH12NS29/30 and put it in an exclosure. I then tried one of the titles I had tested ripping speeds with last week. I got similar speeds with it in the external enclosure. It was only around 20 seconds slower. They both hit over 6x speeds with the dual layer disc. I need to try it with a full 50GB disc to try and max it out. I do only h ave USB 2.0 enclosures so that will limit how high it can go. I really should get a USB 3.0 enclosure for this LG drive since it is faster than the other drives I have in external enclosures.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-22-2014 at 12:14 AM.
post #6905 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Are you saying that an optical drive can saturate usb 3.0?
post #6906 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 06:55 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Quote:

I think he's citing an urban myth.

Jeff
post #6907 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
^^ Hmm, not sure what you mean but I have a high end laptop with very good specs. Anyways I just ripped my 2nd bluray (Skyfall) and it only took 26 minutes ...
Yes, but you are depending on an external bus to bring the data into that laptop and simultaneously output that data over that same bus.

Quote:
No, and I'm also not saying ripping is at all a CPU intensive task. All I'm saying is that a BD drive on SATA feeding a HD on SATA is going to be fastest and most dependable.
post #6908 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I originally posted this in the Theater Construction forum, but it might be better suited here. Can anyone answer this question?

Do any of you guys add things to your bluray bdmv rips?
I was thinking about manually adding one of those Dolby countdown/intros to each of my movies, (because I LOVE it when the theater plays one of those clips before a movie starts.) So I would like to have the same thing in my home theater. Some bluray releases already have those clips, but most don't. Would it be difficult to add one of those streams/clips to a ripped bluray that's already in bdmv folder format?
Essentially I would like to start the movie on my media player, let the Dolby countdown play, then the movie starts.
post #6909 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
I originally posted this in the Theater Construction forum, but it might be better suited here. Can anyone answer this question?

Do any of you guys add things to your bluray bdmv rips?
I was thinking about manually adding one of those Dolby countdown/intros to each of my movies, (because I LOVE it when the theater plays one of those clips before a movie starts.) So I would like to have the same thing in my home theater. Some bluray releases already have those clips, but most don't. Would it be difficult to add one of those streams/clips to a ripped bluray that's already in bdmv folder format?
Essentially I would like to start the movie on my media player, let the Dolby countdown play, then the movie starts.
You could certainly use a video editing program to do it.

I am thinking, though, that if you can grab the countdown clip, it could be joined/remuxed into any other .mkv file with MKVMerge much more quickly and without re encoding everything. It wouldn't be a smooth fade in, but I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
post #6910 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
You could certainly use a video editing program to do it.

I am thinking, though, that if you can grab the countdown clip, it could be joined/remuxed into any other .mkv file with MKVMerge much more quickly and without re encoding everything. It wouldn't be a smooth fade in, but I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
I am just curious if there is an easy way to add a .m2ts file to the bdmv format. And once added, what do else do you have to edit in the folder for the additional stream to play before the actual main movie.
post #6911 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
I am just curious if there is an easy way to add a .m2ts file to the bdmv format. And once added, what do else do you have to edit in the folder for the additional stream to play before the actual main movie.
For .m2ts files you can use TSMuxer to join the header clip to the main movie.m2ts file.
the_abbot likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6912 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
For .m2ts files you can use TSMuxer to join the header clip to the main movie.m2ts file.
Aha! Thank you so much!
Adding these dolby/dts intros will add to the theater atmosphere in my room.
Edit: Oh man... now I am thinking about creating MEGA bluray's for my collection. Merging multiple movies into one and creating a menu to make each movie selectable. Hmmm.......

Last edited by the_abbot; 12-22-2014 at 10:54 AM.
post #6913 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Quote:
Whoops, should have noted that he was in BDMV format. My bad. Same concept, but Kelson is correct.
post #6914 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Whoops, should have noted that he was in BDMV format. My bad. Same concept, but Kelson is correct.
Thanks guys.
For those who are curious, this is what I am trying to do:
-I have downloaded about 20 of those short Dolby/DTS/THX intro clips. They are all in .mt2s format (bluray).
-I have some of my bluray movies already ripped to bdmv folder structure.
-I want to incorporate the external .mt2s file into the existing bluray bdmv stream structure.
-I would like to be able to press play on my media player, then have the short clip play before the main movie starts.
-Once the intro clips ends, I would like the main movie stream to automatically play next.
post #6915 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Yes, but you are depending on an external bus to bring the data into that laptop and simultaneously output that data over that same bus.

No, and I'm also not saying ripping is at all a CPU intensive task. All I'm saying is that a BD drive on SATA feeding a HD on SATA is going to be fastest and most dependable.
USB has been just as dependable for me over the years. When I first started ripping my BD collection in 2009 I had four or five BD drives in external enclosures attached to my WHS. They were very dependable. All I needed to do was put the discs in . The WHS created the folder, picked the coverart and fan art and after ripping the disc ejected. Then I would stick more titles in. And I did that for several weeks until my collection was finally ripped. Ove rthe last 5+ years of ripping BDs, whether internal or external, the drives have been just as dependable.

LED DLP
post #6916 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What is more important than the interface is whether or not the drive has been rip-locked.

Load a BD disk to the drive, start ImgBurn and select the "Create Image File from Disk" tool. In the info window on the right you will see an entry for "Supported Read Speeds". That entry will show you the maximum rip speed of your drive -- if it is rip-locked that max speed will be well below what the drive is advertised as.

One of my burners is an LG WH10LS30. When I first got it, I used MediaCodeSpeedEdit to eliminate the rip-lock and get a max rip speed of 10X. The other day I discovered there had been a firmware update (v1.02) to the drive. I downloaded it and updated the drive -- this replaced the rip-lock -- my WH10LS30 was now limited to a max rip speed of 4X. This is what was listed in ImgBurn and I did a rip of a BD-R to confirm it to be the case.

I then ran MediaCodeSpeedEdit on the v1.02 firmware file to remove the rip-lock and reloaded the firmware to the drive. My max rip speed was back up to 10X and I did another rip on the same BD-R to verify that -- it rips the first layer of an unprotected BD-R in 12:35, hitting 10X at the outer edge of the disk.
Chere likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6917 of 6929 Old 12-22-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
What is more important than the interface is whether or not the drive has been rip-locked.

Load a BD disk to the drive, start ImgBurn and select the "Create Image File from Disk" tool. In the info window on the right you will see an entry for "Supported Read Speeds". That entry will show you the maximum rip speed of your drive -- if it is rip-locked that max speed will be well below what the drive is advertised as.

One of my burners is an LG WH10LS30. When I first got it, I used MediaCodeSpeedEdit to eliminate the rip-lock and get a max rip speed of 10X. The other day I discovered there had been a firmware update (v1.02) to the drive. I downloaded it and updated the drive -- this replaced the rip-lock -- my WH10LS30 was now limited to a max rip speed of 4X. This is what was listed in ImgBurn and I did a rip of a BD-R to confirm it to be the case.

I then ran MediaCodeSpeedEdit on the v1.02 firmware file to remove the rip-lock and reloaded the firmware to the drive. My max rip speed was back up to 10X and I did another rip on the same BD-R to verify that -- it rips the first layer of an unprotected BD-R in 12:35, hitting 10X at the outer edge of the disk.
When I use imgBURN with my Pioneer drive and a rip lock FOX disc, it will still show 8X max or 12x max. It will get up to 2.4x or so and then drop to 2X.

LED DLP
post #6918 of 6929 Old 12-23-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do all involved files have to be the same resolution? I don't remember if this was true for tsmuxer and/or mkvmerge.
post #6919 of 6929 Old 12-23-2014, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do all involved files have to be the same resolution? I don't remember if this was true for tsmuxer and/or mkvmerge.
Good question. I don't know but I would not be surprised if that is the case.

- kelson h

post #6920 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good question. I don't know but I would not be surprised if that is the case.

I just tried to mux two files with different resolutions and tsmuxer gave errors.
post #6921 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just tried to mux two files with different resolutions and tsmuxer gave errors.
I think the root of that is not TSMuxer but more probably the specification for .m2ts containers. I know .m2ts can accommodate a number of different video resolutions, but it probably doesn't allow a single .m2ts file to have multiple resolutions. I seem to recall running into that with DVD .VOB files -- only a single resolution within a given .VOB file.

It would be interesting to take the two video clips you employed and attempt to use Video ReDo to join them. VRD will follow .m2ts specifications when it saves so if single resolution is required, it will force a re-code of one of the segments.

- kelson h

post #6922 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
It would be interesting to take the two video clips you employed and attempt to use Video ReDo to join them. VRD will follow .m2ts specifications when it saves so if single resolution is required, it will force a re-code of one of the segments.
I did that once with a .wtv recording. I had a short power outage in the middle of a WMC recording. That left me with two recordings, the beginning and the end, with the portion that didn't record during the power failure in the middle missing. I found the episode online and recorded the missing portion on my DVD recorder through my Roku. I used VideoReDo to edit and join the three segments. I had to manually convert the DVD recording with settings that matched the rest of the .wtv recording before the joiner would allow me to put the segments together. I ended up with a single seamless wtv file. You can see the picture quality difference in the part that was recorded on my DVD recorder but it plays right through without even the slightest hiccup.
post #6923 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think the root of that is not TSMuxer but more probably the specification for .m2ts containers. I know .m2ts can accommodate a number of different video resolutions, but it probably doesn't allow a single .m2ts file to have multiple resolutions. I seem to recall running into that with DVD .VOB files -- only a single resolution within a given .VOB file.

I don't know what video redo does so I cannot comment. I can say though, that even copy /b does gives me an error.
post #6924 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

So when I join mt2s files using tsmuxer, will it do any conversions/processing of the video or audio? The source that I will be using is bluray video and HD Audio, so I wouldn't want any conversions or processing done to the files. Just merging them together.
post #6925 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So when I join mt2s files using tsmuxer, will it do any conversions/processing of the video or audio? The source that I will be using is bluray video and HD Audio, so I wouldn't want any conversions or processing done to the files. Just merging them together.
No processing. It simply demuxes the streams, joins the like streams together then remuxes the streams into an .m2ts container.

That is what we were discussing here. Unless the resolution (and I would presume the codec) of the video streams is matched it won't do it and issues errors.

- kelson h

post #6926 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I did that once with a .wtv recording. . . .
Good data point.

- kelson h

post #6927 of 6929 Old 12-24-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
No processing. It simply demuxes the streams, joins the like streams together then remuxes the streams into an .m2ts container.

That is what we were discussing here. Unless the resolution (and I would presume the codec) of the video streams is matched it won't do it and issues errors.
Thanks guys
post #6928 of 6929 Old Today, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have any experience with AnyMP4 Video Converter Platinum? Giveaway of the day has it for free today and I'm thinking about downloading it. User reviews seem to be pretty positive overall.

Link
post #6929 of 6929 Old Today, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone have any experience with AnyMP4 Video Converter Platinum? Giveaway of the day has it for free today and I'm thinking about downloading it. User reviews seem to be pretty positive overall.

Link

What is your intended goal for this software? A quick skim looked like it does basic transcoding, which other free apps like even vlc is capable of performing.

I did not see anywhere that showed it is capable of inputting .vob or .m2ts.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page