Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
What is your intended goal for this software? A quick skim looked like it does basic transcoding, which other free apps like even vlc is capable of performing.

I did not see anywhere that showed it is capable of inputting .vob or .m2ts.

I'm looking to eventually convert my MKV rips into mp4s which I think this one will do. I'm just not sure if it'll output those same MKV rips into 1:1 blu ray rips as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I'm looking to eventually convert my MKV rips into mp4s which I think this one will do.
MKV to MP4 is just a container change and you shouldn't need it in most cases; even portable devices have media players these days that can handle MKV files. Even if you did need this, there should be better options available.

Don't understand this bit:

Quote:
I'm just not sure if it'll output those same MKV rips into 1:1 blu ray rips as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 64
transferring this conversation to another thread at the request of the mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlittle View Post
tsMuxer gives you full quality .mt2s using the time stamps.

I'm not getting audio out of my output clips - pretty sure I'm doing something stupid.

my source is my blu-ray rip mkv and I'm just trying to cut a 10s test clip.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I'm looking to eventually convert my MKV rips into mp4s which I think this one will do. I'm just not sure if it'll output those same MKV rips into 1:1 blu ray rips as well.
My question is why?

Are you having device compatibility issues with the .mkv?

MP4BoxGUI will let you just remux into an .mp4 in just a few minutes as long as the streams are compliant:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/My-MP4Box-GUI
Old 12-28-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

In most cases you can just rename mkv to MP4 and it'll play just fine. Pretty sure that's all I did when my friend told me his PS3 didn't play mkv.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
In most cases you can just rename mkv to MP4 and it'll play just fine. Pretty sure that's all I did when my friend told me his PS3 didn't play mkv.
I can't believe that worked. I would never recommend that.

Are you sure that you weren't renaming an .m4v to .mp4?
Old 12-28-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
In all honesty I wouldn't go through the trouble... Mediabrowser 3 does this for you. If you use Mediabrowser then there is a simple guide to follow (probably takes five minutes once if you already have the audio format intro) that will do this seamlessly. What I love about it is that it does it for every single one of my films. I have a Dolby TrueHD intro and a DTS-HD intro. Mediabrowser determines which file to grab and when you start the movie it plays the audio intro first. You can also get it to do all sorts of other intros as well (I only do the audio intro). I have Mediabrowser 3 Classic coupled with WMC (MPC-HC/madVR) playing the files.
That sounds like an interesting set up. I am using local storage on my Dune Base 3, so that's why I was curious about merging streams together. I have used tsmxuer on a few test merges and it seems to work well. Even though the file size of the main movie somehow ended up being about 600 megs smaller after the merge. Not quite sure how that happens if there is no vide processing going on.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
MKV to MP4 is just a container change and you shouldn't need it in most cases; even portable devices have media players these days that can handle MKV files. Even if you did need this, there should be better options available.

Don't understand this bit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
My question is why?

Are you having device compatibility issues with the .mkv?

MP4BoxGUI will let you just remux into an .mp4 in just a few minutes as long as the streams are compliant:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/My-MP4Box-GUI

As a noob I'm just trying to learn and gain experience for the most part. I've already successfully converted most of my blu ray collection into mkv rips using MakeMKV. Next I want to convert those mkv rips back to blu ray rips and burn them back to blank blu ray discs for backup.

In regards to mp4, I just want to also learn how to convert my mkv rips to this format so I can easily compress and transfer them to my smartphone, tablet and computer.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
That sounds like an interesting set up. I am using local storage on my Dune Base 3, so that's why I was curious about merging streams together. I have used tsmxuer on a few test merges and it seems to work well. Even though the file size of the main movie somehow ended up being about 600 megs smaller after the merge. Not quite sure how that happens if there is no vide processing going on.
It's a great set up indeed. MB3 allows transcoding to many many devices. I mainly use WMC and Roku. Of course WMC direct plays and there is transcoding involved for Roku. Amazon Fire will eventually support it. The folks over at Mediabrowser have done some pretty incredible things.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
As a noob I'm just trying to learn and gain experience for the most part. I've already successfully converted most of my blu ray collection into mkv rips using MakeMKV. Next I want to convert those mkv rips back to blu ray rips and burn them back to blank blu ray discs for backup.
First off, you can simply burn an MKV (or multiple MKV) to a BD-R as a data disk using ImgBurn and just about any modern BD player will recognize it and present you with a menu of the MKV titles on the disk to play directly. If you still want to convert the MKV to BDMV format, use Clown_BD. In the output screen check the box to make "Blu-ray". This will create the proper BDMV folder structure to burn to BD-R.

But I'm curious. If you have converted your Blu Ray collection to MKV, then your original BD disks are the backups to the MKV so why do you need to convert the MKV back to BDMV and burn them to BD-R?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 12-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In regards to mp4, I just want to also learn how to convert my mkv rips to this format so I can easily compress and transfer them to my smartphone, tablet and computer.
Cool, I get it. You need to be aware that .mkv is a much for flexible container than .mp4. You can stuff just about any stream into an .mkv file but .mp4 won't let you do that. Also, just because a file is in .mp4 doesn't mean your device will play it. Let me give you an example:

You use MakeMKV to rip a BD to an .mkv file that has an .h264 stream for video, a DTS-HD track for the audio and a .pgs file for the subs. It will work fine for your PC or better HTPC or playback device. However, neither DTS-HD or .pgs is supported my the .mp4 container format. You probably won't even be able to remux an .mp4 file;it will just error out or remux without the incompatible streams. Even if you could get them into .mp4, I don't think there is a playback device that would playback DTS-HD in an .mp4 container. You'll need to make sure that you are ripping the AC3 tracks from the BD, too or else make plans to convert the DTS audio tracks to an .aac format.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Chere,

A large hard drive is a good backup medium for situations like this; write additional files to it occasionally and store it in a cool, dry place for a long life. 4TB+ drives are so much more affordable these days and it's easier to handle than 100 discs.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
But I'm curious. If you have converted your Blu Ray collection to MKV, then your original BD disks are the backups to the MKV so why do you need to convert the MKV back to BDMV and burn them to BD-R?

Last edited by pepar; 12-29-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
In all honesty I wouldn't go through the trouble... Mediabrowser 3 does this for you. If you use Mediabrowser then there is a simple guide to follow (probably takes five minutes once if you already have the audio format intro) that will do this seamlessly. What I love about it is that it does it for every single one of my films. I have a Dolby TrueHD intro and a DTS-HD intro. Mediabrowser determines which file to grab and when you start the movie it plays the audio intro first. You can also get it to do all sorts of other intros as well (I only do the audio intro). I have Mediabrowser 3 Classic coupled with WMC (MPC-HC/madVR) playing the files.
What platforms does Mediabrowser 3 work with? Just PC?

Honestly, I'd like an option for a HT intro, but I'm using Zappiti with a Dune.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post

We are in the exact same boat. It seems that merging the files in TSMuxer is the best solution.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_abbot View Post
We are in the exact same boat. It seems that merging the files in TSMuxer is the best solution.

Yeah, but that would be a HUGE project for an already existing library.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, but that would be a HUGE project for an already existing library.
You're right. I have decided to only add the intros to all of the new blockbuster releases going forward. No need to add a THX intro for something like the Godfather.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Check out their website. The server can be installed on Windows, Linux, OSX, etc. while the playback apps are too large to list:

http://mediabrowser.tv/download/#apps

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Check out their website. The server can be installed on Windows, Linux, OSX, etc. while the playback apps are too large to list:

http://mediabrowser.tv/download/#apps
I just didn't immediately see a way to make this work on Dune players.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:56 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I guess all of our stripping out unwanted stuff precludes using folder structure with a customized playlist that includes the desired intro clip before the main movie? The into would need to be dropped into the correct folder ....

Jeff
Old 12-29-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I'm just assuming we haven't put together an "encoding" thread yet so I'll ask here.... has something changed in the past year with CUDA accelerated encoding? I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 and I was certainly able to use CUDA acceleration (at least with DVDfab) last year but now both DVDfab and Freemake are telling me that my video card doesn't support it and that only series 8- video cards do. Any ideas?

... I seem to have this habit of thinking of possible solutions when I'm asking the question... ergo, I'm going to try reinstalling my drivers.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
First off, you can simply burn an MKV (or multiple MKV) to a BD-R as a data disk using ImgBurn and just about any modern BD player will recognize it and present you with a menu of the MKV titles on the disk to play directly. If you still want to convert the MKV to BDMV format, use Clown_BD. In the output screen check the box to make "Blu-ray". This will create the proper BDMV folder structure to burn to BD-R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
Cool, I get it. You need to be aware that .mkv is a much for flexible container than .mp4. You can stuff just about any stream into an .mkv file but .mp4 won't let you do that. Also, just because a file is in .mp4 doesn't mean your device will play it. Let me give you an example:

You use MakeMKV to rip a BD to an .mkv file that has an .h264 stream for video, a DTS-HD track for the audio and a .pgs file for the subs. It will work fine for your PC or better HTPC or playback device. However, neither DTS-HD or .pgs is supported my the .mp4 container format. You probably won't even be able to remux an .mp4 file;it will just error out or remux without the incompatible streams. Even if you could get them into .mp4, I don't think there is a playback device that would playback DTS-HD in an .mp4 container. You'll need to make sure that you are ripping the AC3 tracks from the BD, too or else make plans to convert the DTS audio tracks to an .aac format.

I should have explained my reasons a bit more clearly. I have a huge project that I'll be undertaking in about a month. Basically I'll be working on making copies of 4 blu ray discs authored by a professional videographer who worked on a wedding for our family a couple of months back. Not only is he late delivering the final product but he expects $25 per any additional copy on top of the original price that we've already agreed upon. That's a total of $100 per set. Needless to say this is outright robbery and I've decided that I'll make the additional copies once he delivers the original 4 BDs.

Since I'm a complete noob who's just starting out, I wasn't sure if making the copies in an mkv format would be the best idea as some of the people that will be receiving these copies are older and probably own early model blu ray players and possibly just dvd players. That's why I'm contemplating making a straight 1:1 BD copy as that will be compatible with every blu ray player and possibly mp4 for the ones that just own dvd players.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:38 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked: 534
It's unlikely those discs will have copy protection on them, so you may just be able to copy and burn them to new media directly.

However: the videographer may own the copyright. Did you have contract? Better check it to see if you have the right to duplicate. If not, best keep mum about it here.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
Old 12-29-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_carton View Post
Chere,

A large hard drive is a good backup medium for situations like this; write additional files to it occasionally and store it in a cool, dry place for a long life. 4TB+ drives are so much more affordable these days and it's easier to handle than 100 discs.
I agree Mike. That's why I have a toshiba 5TB external player that I've been using to back up my blu ray collection. This has worked out quite well for me as my Oppo 103D can play all my ripped mkv movies without any problem and has also allowed me to free up a lot of shelf space as I've been able to move all my hard copy BDs to storage.

I've heard Seagate will be releasing 8TB External hard drives next year for under $300. I'll be getting one as soon as they're available.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
It's unlikely those discs will have copy protection on them, so you may just be able to copy and burn them to new media directly.

However: the videographer may own the copyright. Did you have contract? Better check it to see if you have the right to duplicate. If not, best keep mum about it here.

-Bill

Absolutely not and that was one of the agreed upon written terms before we signed the contract. The family is very picky about privacy and we didn't want to see our faces plastered on social media on behalf of the videographer promoting his services. And his services have been less than stellar so far to say the least...
Old 12-29-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
I agree Mike. That's why I have a toshiba 5TB external player that I've been using to back up my blu ray collection. This has worked out quite well for me as my Oppo 103D can play all my ripped mkv movies without any problem and has also allowed me to free up a lot of shelf space as I've been able to move all my hard copy BDs to storage.

I've heard Seagate will be releasing 8TB External hard drives next year for under $300. I'll be getting one as soon as they're available.
There were already some deals on 6TB drives earlier this month for around $220. I picked up a 6TB WD drive for my TiVo Desktop PC.

I also picked up several 4TB drives for $140 each for my unRAID1 setup. I plan on re-configuring it with mostly 4TB and 3TB drives. This way I can stop using these 5/6 year old 1.5TB and 2TB WD green drives since they are so old and run hot. But it will also cut my storage in the unRAID1 down to 30TB. But I did move 20TB of content over to my unRAID2 setup. So I don't need as much storage capacity in my unRAID1 any more.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 12-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
I should have explained my reasons a bit more clearly. I have a huge project that I'll be undertaking in about a month. Basically I'll be working on making copies of 4 blu ray discs authored by a professional videographer who worked on a wedding for our family a couple of months back.
Your explanation clarified. To make copies of the disks, simply use ImgBurn to rip each BD disk to an image file (.iso). You then use ImgBurn to burn those image files to as many BD-R as you want to make copies of the sets. This is very easy to do.

If the BD disks the videographer made are fully authored with menus and chapters etc. then there are tools for converting a BluRay to DVD for your situation. Here is one such tool. There are others.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
I'm just assuming we haven't put together an "encoding" thread yet so I'll ask here.... has something changed in the past year with CUDA accelerated encoding? I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX760 and I was certainly able to use CUDA acceleration (at least with DVDfab) last year but now both DVDfab and Freemake are telling me that my video card doesn't support it and that only series 8- video cards do. Any ideas?

... I seem to have this habit of thinking of possible solutions when I'm asking the question... ergo, I'm going to try reinstalling my drivers.
Encoding is discussed on occasion here, however, I have yet to see anyone discuss CUDA accelerated encoding. Is it similar to quicksyn by Intel?

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Old 12-30-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Encoding is discussed on occasion here, however, I have yet to see anyone discuss CUDA accelerated encoding. Is it similar to quicksyn by Intel?
My guess would be yes but I actually have no idea. It just uses the GPUs in the graphics card in addition to the processing power in the CPU.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
My guess would be yes but I actually have no idea. It just uses the GPUs in the graphics card in addition to the processing power in the CPU.
Funny I was just reading up on it... answered my own question (it is a hardware encoder). My experience with hardware encoding is that the quality suffers drastically. I usually do x264/x265.

PSA V1500 (x2)
OTA Winegard HD7698P

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player