Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 238 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2015, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
His physical BD disk or his rip thereof?
I assumed, at the time, his physical disc since I thought he wasn't able to play the output rips using any method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agogley View Post
Ok, so I ripped Divergent to my hard drive using AnyDVD HD. I used txmuxer to create an m2ts file. I then used eac3to to extract the audio and video. Then I used txmuxer to create a a BD file folder which I then made into an ISO. It works fine.

So for whatever reason eac3to just doesn't like the source of this particular movie. Strangest thing.
I'm even more curious now. I have a couple questions if you please?
1. The m2ts you created with tsmuxer, did that play fine?
2. Can you take the resulting eac demuxed files and remux using tsmuxer into an m2ts and not be folder or ISO? Does it play ok?
3. Is the movie a single large file according to the mpls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
are you collecting a fee on answering all these questions? you should be

I ran tsmuxer on that Star Wars mkv (which is fully loaded as you can see, maybe even too much) and it gave no audio - just testing 10s clips for now.
Haha no fee. I like to help out whenever I can. So the file you have started out as an mkv? Why did you run tsmuxer on an mkv? I've never tried it myself, but I didn't think it could open mkv's.

Quote:
I did the test with Divergent. I gave up on Stargate a while back and put it up in the attic with my other movies.

And yes, with eac3to and TxMuxer, although I used the txmuxer gui.

I use the tsmuxer GUI myself. Can I ask you to check if stargate is a single large file and if not, how many files are in the list?

I'm very sorry for all the work i am asking you to do just to scratch my curiosity itch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 01:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

All this talk on another thread about how storage is so cheap got me thinking about the cost and logistics of it all so as usual I found some time and checked on how different I see things vs others.

So here is what I'm asking:

Let me know if you can notice a difference in these stills. Please forgive the fact that one of them wasn't cropped and that the color might be slightly off on one or all because I was just doing a quick test in which color wasn't a factor.

Also, please try to not think too much about the name of these files as they were just named by the batch, which is why one of them isn't cropped cause I had run out of time but decided to include it in the test anyway.

Most importantly, please please please do not look at the file size! It's not that hard to look at the file size and see what is going on here but then, the goal isn't to win the I guessed right game [emoji4]

After all that, just let me know which you think looks best, if there is a best or let me know if you think they all look identical.

Btw, this is just a test for curiosities sake as I've said it many times over that at these resolutions, it's pretty damned hard for a person to tell a difference when watching it in motion.

Last edited by DotJun; 01-15-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Haha no fee. I like to help out whenever I can. So the file you have started out as an mkv? Why did you run tsmuxer on an mkv? I've never tried it myself, but I didn't think it could open mkv's.
I tired ripping it straight from the blu-ray but there is something unique about the copy protection on those star wars blu-rays - I suppose I could try it with another disk like The Matrix. Even ripping the Star Wars movies took FOREVER compared to my other discs.

The MKV recognized just fine but again no audio on the output file.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1389 Post(s)
Liked: 931
It's a still picture though. It's different between watching one still and watching 24 stills played every second.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Old 01-15-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It's a still picture though. It's different between watching one still and watching 24 stills played every second.
My last paragraph addresses this fact doesn't it? I might have used the wrong word though (details), so I edited the paragraph to read resolutions instead.

Quote:
I tired ripping it straight from the blu-ray but there is something unique about the copy protection on those star wars blu-rays - I suppose I could try it with another disk like The Matrix. Even ripping the Star Wars movies took FOREVER compared to my other discs.

1. Try to rip just one audio track instead of all of them and see what happens.

Just to make sure, when you play the disc, you get audio yes? When you play your ripped file and tell your player to play the same audio stream that the disc played, you get no audio yes? You are using the same player to play both files yes?
Old 01-15-2015, 06:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I know the Fox distributed titles will enable rip lock on my Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD burner. So they will be limited to 2x rip speeds. While non Fox distributed titles have no problem with fast rip speeds. While my Pioneer BDC-207DBK BD rom drive won't get hit by rip lock with the Fox distributed titles. But it is also limited to only 8x rip speeds on single layer discs while the Pioneer BD burner will hit 12x rip speeds.

LED DLP
Old 01-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My last paragraph addresses this fact doesn't it? I might have used the wrong word though (details), so I edited the paragraph to read resolutions instead.

1. Try to rip just one audio track instead of all of them and see what happens.

Just to make sure, when you play the disc, you get audio yes? When you play your ripped file and tell your player to play the same audio stream that the disc played, you get no audio yes? You are using the same player to play both files yes?
The disc just produces an error message, it won't rip at all. That's why I went the MKV route.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
I know the Fox distributed titles will enable rip lock on my Pioneer BDR-209DBK BD burner. So they will be limited to 2x rip speeds. While non Fox distributed titles have no problem with fast rip speeds.
I'm having a hard time understanding how a BD title can cause rip-lock. Rip-lock is a drive firmware implementation to lower the read speed that can be removed from many drives with MediaSpeedCodeEdit. Are you sure what you are seeing is not just a result of the particular DRM that is being employed that is requiring more processing and slowing things down that way? It may be causing the particular drive to reset or track seek more than another drive.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-15-2015, 08:35 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
All this talk on another thread about how storage is so cheap got me thinking about the cost and logistics of it all so as usual I found some time and checked on how different I see things vs others.

So here is what I'm asking:

Let me know if you can notice a difference in these stills. Please forgive the fact that one of them wasn't cropped and that the color might be slightly off on one or all because I was just doing a quick test in which color wasn't a factor.

Also, please try to not think too much about the name of these files as they were just named by the batch, which is why one of them isn't cropped cause I had run out of time but decided to include it in the test anyway.

Most importantly, please please please do not look at the file size! It's not that hard to look at the file size and see what is going on here but then, the goal isn't to win the I guessed right game [emoji4]

After all that, just let me know which you think looks best, if there is a best or let me know if you think they all look identical.

Btw, this is just a test for curiosities sake as I've said it many times over that at these resolutions, it's pretty damned hard for a person to tell a difference when watching it in motion.
Alright I will take a stab at this. FROM MY IPAD MINI, the second image looks like it has more detail that the first. Maybe more than the third.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:36 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
The disc just produces an error message, it won't rip at all. That's why I went the MKV route.
AnyDVD HD up to date with latest version?
Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AnyDVD HD up to date with latest version?
What is that? And therefore, no.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding how a BD title can cause rip-lock. Rip-lock is a drive firmware implementation to lower the read speed that can be removed from many drives with MediaSpeedCodeEdit. Are you sure what you are seeing is not just a result of the particular DRM that is being employed that is requiring more processing and slowing things down that way? It may be causing the particular drive to reset or track seek more than another drive.
Yes. If i go to my LG drive there is no issue. If I use my Pioneer BD rom drive there is no issue. It will rip up to 8X on the dual layer Fox Disc. But if I use my Pioneer BD burner it will go up to something like 2.4x speed and then drop to the 2X rip lock speed and stay there. I've ripped a bunch of titles now with that BD burner. Only Fox distributed discs have this issue with my Pioneer BD burner. I've never had that issue with my dozen other BD drives from LG, LiteOn and Samsung.

LED DLP
Old 01-15-2015, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Yes. If i go to my LG drive there is no issue. If I use my Pioneer BD rom drive there is no issue. It will rip up to 8X on the dual layer Fox Disc. But if I use my Pioneer BD burner it will go up to something like 2.4x speed and then drop to the 2X rip lock speed and stay there. I've ripped a bunch of titles now with that BD burner. Only Fox distributed discs have this issue with my Pioneer BD burner. I've never had that issue with my dozen other BD drives from LG, LiteOn and Samsung.
I am with you on this. I have the same issue with my pioneer drive. That's why its good to have an assortment from different manufacturers... :-)
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
I assumed, at the time, his physical disc since I thought he wasn't able to play the output rips using any method.
Incorrect. I've been able to rip using AnyDVD HD and play. I've been able to convert to AC3 using Clown_BD GUI. And I've been able to use Slysoft's new CloneBD as well as MakeMKV.

Quote:
I'm even more curious now. I have a couple questions if you please?
1. The m2ts you created with tsmuxer, did that play fine?
2. Can you take the resulting eac demuxed files and remux using tsmuxer into an m2ts and not be folder or ISO? Does it play ok?
3. Is the movie a single large file according to the mpls?
Yes to #1 and #2 . I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with #3 . I produce a single m2ts not sure how the playlist is different?

Quote:
I use the tsmuxer GUI myself. Can I ask you to check if stargate is a single large file and if not, how many files are in the list?

I'm very sorry for all the work i am asking you to do just to scratch my curiosity itch.

Not sure what you mean. Please specify what I'm looking at and for.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
What is that? And therefore, no.
Newer versions are developed and released to deal with the encryption that is on new movies.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
I'm not understanding what the "mkv route" is? Do you mean downloaded?

Quote:
Alright I will take a stab at this. FROM MY IPAD MINI, the second image looks like it has more detail that the first. Maybe more than the third.
Thanks pepar, I appreciate your time and effort, and if you want the details on the differences between the files I can pm you.

There isn't a right or wrong answer mind you, I'm just curious as to people's answers and whether the file name and files sizes (for those that looked at them) changed people's minds in perceived quality.

Anyone else? Someone with a huge screen take a stab? @Kelson , help a brother out? [emoji2]

Quote:
Incorrect. I've been able to rip using AnyDVD HD and play. I've been able to convert to AC3 using Clown_BD GUI. And I've been able to use Slysoft's new CloneBD as well as MakeMKV.

Yes to #1 and #2 . I'm not sure what you are trying to get at with #3 . I produce a single m2ts not sure how the playlist is different?

Not sure what you mean. Please specify what I'm looking at and for.

Open the correct mpls file using tsmuxer. In the area labeled "input files", how many m2ts files are nested under the mpls file you selected to open?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm not understanding what the "mkv route" is? Do you mean downloaded?
instead of ripping the piece from the disk, I ripped the piece from my ripped MKV (referenced above in that ridiculously long info dump)

whoever asked about AnyDVD - wouldn't a recent copy of MakeMKV do the same thing? I've noticed they are always pushing out new versions of that every 3 months or so.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
@Kelson , help a brother out?
I'm sorry @DotJun , this whole discussion has taken so many twists and turns, it has left me in a confused dust.

I'm just waiting for the next topic to start fresh, at this point.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 01-16-2015 at 05:28 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
whoever asked about AnyDVD - wouldn't a recent copy of MakeMKV do the same thing? I've noticed they are always pushing out new versions of that every 3 months or so.
I've been playing a lot with MakeMKV using the full-disk rip option -- not making an MKV file. In my experience over the last 4-5 months, I have found that MakeMKV alone can crack and rip about 90% of the commercial BD disks I have tried. For the other 10% (usually the newest releases) I have to use one of the big-2 rippers (DVD Fab or AnyDVD HD) to do a full-disk rip -- in my case I use DVD Fab.
mr266 likes this.

- kelson h

Old 01-16-2015, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I've been playing a lot with MakeMKV using the full-disk rip option -- not making an MKV file. In my experience over the last 4-5 months, I have found that MakeMKV alone can crack and rip about 90% of the commercial BD disks I have tried. For the other 10% (usually the newest releases) I have to use one of the big-2 rippers (DVD Fab or AnyDVD HD) to do a full-disk rip -- in my case I use DVD Fab.
MakeMKV worked for Star Wars - it was just incredibly slow.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
MakeMKV worked for Star Wars - it was just incredibly slow.
I use LG burners with rip-lock removed (currently a pair of WH16NS40) and a full disk BD rip generally takes 25 min with DVD Fab or MakeMKV. I rarely see one take more than 30 min -- and that is ripping two disks at a time.

- kelson h

Old 01-16-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
When I use MakeMKV I still have AnyDVD HD running in the background.

LED DLP
Old 01-16-2015, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I use LG burners with rip-lock removed (currently a pair of WH16NS40) and a full disk BD rip generally takes 25 min with DVD Fab or MakeMKV. I rarely see one take more than 30 min -- and that is ripping two disks at a time.
Two, three, five or six discs at a time. They will all rip just as fast individually or concurrently as long as the storage medium they are going to can keep up.

LED DLP
Old 01-16-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
When I use MakeMKV I still have AnyDVD HD running in the background.
From what I read here, most people do. I don't have AnyDVD, I have DVD Fab and either way my preferred workflow is to rip the full disk to my HDD before further processing.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; 01-16-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:57 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
From what I read here, most people do. I don't have AnyDVD, I have DVD Fab and either way my preferred workflow is to rip the full disk to my HDD before further processing.
Rip to an SSD? And then "bounce it around" SSDs when processing with Clown?

Jeff
Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm sorry @DotJun , this whole discussion has taken so many twists and turns, it has left me in a confused dust.

I'm just waiting for the next topic to start fresh, at this point.
Oh, I was just asking you to check out the pics I posted like three posts ago, and give me an honest opinion.

Quote:
instead of ripping the piece from the disk, I ripped the piece from my ripped MKV (referenced above in that ridiculously long info dump)

I am so confused right now haha when you say your original rip soul not play the audio portion even though the audio streams were present, how did you actually rip it? Using what?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh, I was just asking you to check out the pics I posted like three posts ago, and give me an honest opinion.

I am so confused right now haha when you say your original rip soul not play the audio portion even though the audio streams were present, how did you actually rip it? Using what?
YAH! Forums! Good for confusing threads of different stories! LOL.

OK, so to recap...

1) open tsmuxer,
throw in Star Wars in the Blu-Ray Drive,
open SW4 from tsmuxer,
gives error message (something about the disc, not a read error),
close tsmuxer

2) open tsmuxer,
import SW4 MKV ripped using MakeMKV (at an earlier date) using all default settings (so EVERYTHING is in that MKV file right down to the Aramaic subs),
MKV imports into tsmuxer just fine.
I go to give it a 10s clip that I want copied out of the MKV (split and cut, no split, cut 10s, can't remember what output settings were) ,
click start muxing, and it creates the file with the correct video but no audio.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Rip to an SSD? And then "bounce it around" SSDs when processing with Clown?
No, just SATA III drives. SSD would offer me no benefit over mechanical HDD since the limitation is processing.

I do use separate physical HDD's for Clown_BD processing so that for each stage it is reading from one drive and writing to the other. That does speed things up quite a bit than using a single drive.

- kelson h

Old 01-16-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
YAH! Forums! Good for confusing threads of different stories! LOL.

OK, so to recap...

1) open tsmuxer,
throw in Star Wars in the Blu-Ray Drive,
open SW4 from tsmuxer,
gives error message (something about the disc, not a read error),
close tsmuxer

2) open tsmuxer,
import SW4 MKV ripped using MakeMKV (at an earlier date) using all default settings (so EVERYTHING is in that MKV file right down to the Aramaic subs),
MKV imports into tsmuxer just fine.
I go to give it a 10s clip that I want copied out of the MKV (split and cut, no split, cut 10s, can't remember what output settings were) ,
click start muxing, and it creates the file with the correct video but no audio.

Looks like your problem with #1 is not having a decrypter?
I can't really help with #2 as I've never used makemkv.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks like your problem with #1 is not having a decrypter?
I can't really help with #2 as I've never used makemkv.
so on the one hand that makes sense for 1 but then why can I rip it with MakeMKV if I can't decrypt it? OK, anyways. Sounds like best practice is install AnyDVD HD and then try again with the blu ray?

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com