Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 240 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 238  239  240
Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming > Ripping Blu-Rays II
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 09:43 AM 01-22-2015
Here's a question... Anyone consider custom storage for the discs after ripping? (I keep the discs for back up in addition to the NAS Raid protection.)

I thought for a moment about using the slim line CD cases and then making a number scheme for the discs in storage.

I guess I realize though I live in a fairly large house not a tiny apartment ... I guess I don't need to reduce the amount of room the discs take up in storage.

GreySkies's Avatar GreySkies 10:09 AM 01-22-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Here's a question... Anyone consider custom storage for the discs after ripping? (I keep the discs for back up in addition to the NAS Raid protection.)
Mine will be in custom shelving outside my theater once it's done. For now, they're packed in a couple of boxes in my office.
aaronwt's Avatar aaronwt 10:14 AM 01-22-2015
Quote:

I thought for a moment about using the slim line CD cases and then making a number scheme for the discs in storage.

I guess I realize though I live in a fairly large house not a tiny apartment ... I guess I don't need to reduce the amount of room the discs take up in storage.
Most of mine go in storage containers in a storage facility. Of course that can be a pain if you need to rip them again. Like recently when I ran a rebuild tree command in unRAID and I forgot to put it in maintenance mode first. So I lost the content on that drive. So I need to re-rip those titles again.
Kelson's Avatar Kelson 10:16 AM 01-22-2015
Quote:

To save significant space, one has to first be willing to throw away the original BD cases -- a significant energy barrier for many. For high density disk storage I put the disks in combinations of single and double-sided Tyvek storage sleeves with a labeled tab on the top and store the sleeves vertically in simple Snap-n-Store disk boxes. I can store 125 disks in sleeves in one of these inexpensive boxes. They are covered to keep out light and dust and they stack nicely in a cool, dry closet. For me, organization is simply alphabetical.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 11:02 AM 01-22-2015
Quote:
All of my discs are stored in their original cases. I'm more concerned about digital storage space than the physical space required to store the boxes.
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 12:16 PM 01-22-2015
Thanks,.... Just getting started with this... like I said I think I did about 400 and that's about a third of what I've got here. It will take me maybe years to get all the Hard Drives I need and I don't really plan to stop buying new releases anyways... ha ha.

Just seemed like I ought to really try to minimize the overall space of the physical copies.... I think I'll continue to use boxes and keep them vertical in original cases....

But, I was interesting to hear what others have done about it.
vaha's Avatar vaha 06:16 AM Yesterday
I have dvdfab bluray copy lifetime. I getting a mac next week and was wondering if the lifetime is transferable to the mac version.
DotJun's Avatar DotJun 02:23 AM Today
Quote:

I put all of mine on old 50 or 100 disc spools which go into a storage bin in the closet.
DotJun's Avatar DotJun 02:33 AM Today
So I was playing around with non-burned in subs the other day and a few questions came up.

1. Holy crap, them are some huge fonts!
2. Why are they positioned in the letterbox and how do I change their position?
3. Did I mention how big the font was? How can I change font type, size and color?
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 06:14 AM Today
All of the subtitle text formatting is done by the player. What playback method and are you using?
Brian Hampton's Avatar Brian Hampton 07:21 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I put all of mine on old 50 or 100 disc spools which go into a storage bin in the closet.
That would be highly efficient. I may be into something like that. Once on the server the discs are just back ups and I don't think I would have much trouble getting rid of packaging and cover art and so on in the name of being much better organized.

I think of those types of spools that I've thrown out over the years.

The slim CD boxes in packs of 100 don't take up too much room. But they take up a lot of room compared to the spool idea.

Getting rid of the original cases removes most sell back ability but then, I don't think I ever want to sell back my movies and when I do they will be nearly worthless aside from the odd out of print title that actualy can gain in value for a while.
ScottJ's Avatar ScottJ 09:17 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
All of the subtitle text formatting is done by the player. What playback method and are you using?
Not with Blu-Ray it isn't. The subs on Blu-Ray are PGS format which is a series of bitmap images.

You can move them out of the letterbox area using BDSup2Sub during the ripping process.

Changing the size and/or font would require OCR which I've never tried.
Ken.F's Avatar Ken.F 09:35 AM Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Not with Blu-Ray it isn't. The subs on Blu-Ray are PGS format which is a series of bitmap images.
Thanks. I've been messing around with SRT subs all week so they were fresh in my mind. I absolutely got that one wrong.
Tags: Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
First ... 238  239  240

Up
Mobile  Desktop