Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 240 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7171 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Here's a question... Anyone consider custom storage for the discs after ripping? (I keep the discs for back up in addition to the NAS Raid protection.)

I thought for a moment about using the slim line CD cases and then making a number scheme for the discs in storage.

I guess I realize though I live in a fairly large house not a tiny apartment ... I guess I don't need to reduce the amount of room the discs take up in storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7172 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Here's a question... Anyone consider custom storage for the discs after ripping? (I keep the discs for back up in addition to the NAS Raid protection.)
Mine will be in custom shelving outside my theater once it's done. For now, they're packed in a couple of boxes in my office.
Brian Hampton likes this.
post #7173 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:

I thought for a moment about using the slim line CD cases and then making a number scheme for the discs in storage.

I guess I realize though I live in a fairly large house not a tiny apartment ... I guess I don't need to reduce the amount of room the discs take up in storage.
Most of mine go in storage containers in a storage facility. Of course that can be a pain if you need to rip them again. Like recently when I ran a rebuild tree command in unRAID and I forgot to put it in maintenance mode first. So I lost the content on that drive. So I need to re-rip those titles again.
post #7174 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

To save significant space, one has to first be willing to throw away the original BD cases -- a significant energy barrier for many. For high density disk storage I put the disks in combinations of single and double-sided Tyvek storage sleeves with a labeled tab on the top and store the sleeves vertically in simple Snap-n-Store disk boxes. I can store 125 disks in sleeves in one of these inexpensive boxes. They are covered to keep out light and dust and they stack nicely in a cool, dry closet. For me, organization is simply alphabetical.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7175 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
All of my discs are stored in their original cases. I'm more concerned about digital storage space than the physical space required to store the boxes.
post #7176 of 7192 Old 01-22-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks,.... Just getting started with this... like I said I think I did about 400 and that's about a third of what I've got here. It will take me maybe years to get all the Hard Drives I need and I don't really plan to stop buying new releases anyways... ha ha.

Just seemed like I ought to really try to minimize the overall space of the physical copies.... I think I'll continue to use boxes and keep them vertical in original cases....

But, I was interesting to hear what others have done about it.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #7177 of 7192 Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have dvdfab bluray copy lifetime. I getting a mac next week and was wondering if the lifetime is transferable to the mac version.
post #7178 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

I put all of mine on old 50 or 100 disc spools which go into a storage bin in the closet.
post #7179 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

So I was playing around with non-burned in subs the other day and a few questions came up.

1. Holy crap, them are some huge fonts!
2. Why are they positioned in the letterbox and how do I change their position?
3. Did I mention how big the font was? How can I change font type, size and color?
post #7180 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

All of the subtitle text formatting is done by the player. What playback method and are you using?

Last edited by Ken.F; 01-25-2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Incorrect info
post #7181 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
I put all of mine on old 50 or 100 disc spools which go into a storage bin in the closet.
That would be highly efficient. I may be into something like that. Once on the server the discs are just back ups and I don't think I would have much trouble getting rid of packaging and cover art and so on in the name of being much better organized.

I think of those types of spools that I've thrown out over the years.

The slim CD boxes in packs of 100 don't take up too much room. But they take up a lot of room compared to the spool idea.

Getting rid of the original cases removes most sell back ability but then, I don't think I ever want to sell back my movies and when I do they will be nearly worthless aside from the odd out of print title that actualy can gain in value for a while.
post #7182 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
All of the subtitle text formatting is done by the player. What playback method and are you using?
Not with Blu-Ray it isn't. The subs on Blu-Ray are PGS format which is a series of bitmap images.

You can move them out of the letterbox area using BDSup2Sub during the ripping process.

Changing the size and/or font would require OCR which I've never tried.
post #7183 of 7192 Old 01-25-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Not with Blu-Ray it isn't. The subs on Blu-Ray are PGS format which is a series of bitmap images.
Thanks. I've been messing around with SRT subs all week so they were fresh in my mind. I absolutely got that one wrong.
post #7184 of 7192 Old 01-26-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I use Mediaportal as my front end.

Quote:
That would be highly efficient. I may be into something like that. Once on the server the discs are just back ups and I don't think I would have much trouble getting rid of packaging and cover art and so on in the name of being much better organized.

I think of those types of spools that I've thrown out over the years.

The slim CD boxes in packs of 100 don't take up too much room. But they take up a lot of room compared to the spool idea.

Getting rid of the original cases removes most sell back ability but then, I don't think I ever want to sell back my movies and when I do they will be nearly worthless aside from the odd out of print title that actualy can gain in value for a while.
My original discs are not my backup, they are my source files. My backups go onto spare hdd that I keep in a personal closet at work. The reason I backup my movie files is because I compress my movies.

Quote:

You can move them out of the letterbox area using BDSup2Sub during the ripping process.

Yep, I had a total brain failure also in that I forgot that pgs were bitmaps.

I don't like not being able to manipulate my subs. Changing font type isn't that big of a deal but changing colors is very important sometimes. Having white fonts on a primarily white colored anime spells for disaster.
post #7185 of 7192 Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Rip

Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles rip So I'm trying to rip the blue-ray of the new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie. Typically I rip movie by using this process of

1. Rip with DVDFab
2. Use Clown_BD
3. Convert the subs using BDsup2sub400
4. Combine with mkvmerge
5. Encode with handbrake to a reasonable file size

I don't know if there is an easier way but this is the way I've always don't it (noob here).

Anyways, for some reason after combining the files with mkvmerge, the resulting mkv does not have audio on playback. I tried the whole process again and still no audio. I also noticed something odd when I ran the Clown_BD on the movie. It said "TrueHD/AC3, English, unknown parameters" for audio track 3 (the main audio for the movie). Audio track 7 "AC3, English 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48Hz, dialnorm: -27dB" is the hearing impaired track and that track was fine on the mkv.

Any help or suggestions on how people ripped the new turtles movie?

Sam
post #7186 of 7192 Old 01-28-2015, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snirmy621 View Post
Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles rip So I'm trying to rip the blue-ray of the new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie. Typically I rip movie by using this process of

1. Rip with DVDFab
2. Use Clown_BD
4. Combine with mkvmerge

I don't know if there is an easier way but this is the way I've always don't it (noob here).

Anyways, for some reason after combining the files with mkvmerge, the resulting mkv does not have audio on playback. I tried the whole process again and still no audio. I also noticed something odd when I ran the Clown_BD on the movie. It said "TrueHD/AC3, English, unknown parameters" for audio track 3 (the main audio for the movie). Audio track 7 "AC3, English 5.1 channels, 640kbps, 48Hz, dialnorm: -27dB" is the hearing impaired track and that track was fine on the mkv.

Sam

I thought handbrake can handle a movie right from the disc without having to do any of the other things you do?

Sorry I can't be of more help as I don't use dvdfab or clown.
post #7187 of 7192 Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Not real sure but sounds like the Turtles rip problem you describe is caused by the Dolby Atmos track.
post #7188 of 7192 Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snirmy621 View Post

1. Rip with DVDFab
2. Use Clown_BD
4. Combine with mkvmerge

Sam
I use DVDFab and not sure why all the extra steps you are doing but I am not concerned with size of file because I want a bit for bit rip of the movie. DVDFab should be a one stop shop regarding the ripping. I rip using .M2ts passthrough (there is a mkv.passthrough as well) and audio copy and it takes around 30 mins for the process. I select only the HD audio (Keep HD Audio) and I keep all the subtitles selected. When I watch the movie via XBMC for the first time I cycle through the subtitles and select the one I want and XBMC remembers it the next time the movie is played.

Doing it this way, I had no problems with the new turtle movie.
post #7189 of 7192 Old 01-28-2015, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Just use MakeMKV and it will rip Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles to an MKV. Well I know for sure it will with Any DVD HD running in the background.
jhughy2010 likes this.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7190 of 7192 Old Yesterday, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

My NAS is nearly full, I guess it will hold about 450 titles.

I think I'm going to set aside an entire day to clean all the discs that I'm hoping to put in storage for a long time.

I recently found an old CDR that was attacked by some sort of chemical and could not be read so I guess that's my inspriation. That and the discs should be able to go into storage for a long time so no better time to make them all spotlessly clean in hopes they will last longer.
post #7191 of 7192 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Regarding TMNT, if you're using DVDFab (which I do), the audio is there. I always use the Copy settings for audio and video. You have to cycle through the audio streams. You can do this in VLC as a test and you'll find the audio does exist. I've noticed this same behavior on other Dolby Atmos discs. Same with the latest Transformers and John Wick. The Dolby TrueHD audio stream should be present.

Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva XPA-5
Klipsch RF-7II Main Cherry (x2), RC-64II Center Cherry, RF-15 Wide (x2), RS-62II Surround (x2)
SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer (x2)
OPPO BDP-103D
Samsung PN64F8500
post #7192 of 7192 Unread Today, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Before Handbrake supported burning in PGS subtitles, I tried to OCR the Avatar subtitles - It was painful. I started to manually correct all the OCR errors and I gave up. I procrastinated long enough until Handbrake supported PGS.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page