Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 244 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7291 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
What functionality does Windows Server have, and that you need, that a "consumer" version of Windows does not?

Jeff
Honestly for how I use it not much different. I use Stablebit for my software JBOD setup. One of the reasons I like is the built in PC backup and recovery which I have used. For how I use it though, Server 2012 is probably overkill (I got it for free so cost wasn't an issue). Streaming has been flawless as long as I don't get a BSOD. I still do my ripping on my Desktop PC and just simply copy over to the server once done.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7292 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I still do my ripping on my Desktop PC and just simply copy over to the server once done.
Have you thought of ripping to - or transferring to - a local external USB 3.0 drive and then using sneakernet to attach it to your server for transfer to your RAID drives? Onesey, twosey rips wouldn't be worth it, but once you go over 5 to transfer it would be a timesaver.
post #7293 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Have you thought of ripping to - or transferring to - a local external USB 3.0 drive and then using sneakernet to attach it to your server for transfer to your RAID drives? Onesey, twosey rips wouldn't be worth it, but once you go over 5 to transfer it would be a timesaver.
Or just rip to the Shared Network Location.
post #7294 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 933 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Maybe from a laptop if you needed to free it up right away, but probably not from a desktop. I too rip my BD's and DVD's on my desktop then send them to my servers over the network. At 110MBps transfer rates it takes about 5 min to send an large BD.m2ts. I usually just start them transferring when I'm ready to walk away from my PC and do something else. Yes I could rip directly to the server but I keep a copy on the array attached to the desktop PC.

A USB-3 drive tops out at ~160MBps on my systems so it would actually take longer and more of my intervention time to first transfer the rips to the external drive then move them over to the server.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7295 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Perhaps I should rephrase in the form of a question.

Why are you not just ripping it to a shared folder on the server in the first place?
post #7296 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
At 110MBps transfer rates it takes about 5 min to send an large BD.m2ts. I usually just start them transferring when I'm ready to walk away from my PC and do something else. Yes I could rip directly to the server but I keep a copy on the array attached to the desktop PC.

A USB-3 drive tops out at ~160MBps on my systems so it would actually take longer and more of my intervention time to first transfer the rips to the external drive then move them over to the server.
Ummm, maybe I was thinking USB 3.1 or maybe I just wasn't thinking! The initiate and walk away really cinches it.

Is the copy on your desktop array a backup?
Jeff
post #7297 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 12:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is the copy on your desktop array a backup?
yes, until I watch the title.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7298 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
A way to keep track of what you have watched and not watched? Otherwise, it would stream ... nevermind
post #7299 of 7839 Old 02-07-2015, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Says who? Haven't seen a mod step in so far on any of those threads here on the forum.

So, in the US, if I circumvent the copy protection of a BD I bought for myself (no rental) to put on my NAS, that's 100% fair use and can be freely discussed? What about other countries like Switzerland?
I thought that "Technically" circumventing the Copy Protection on a Blu Ray Disc is a violation of the DMCA and how they are blocking sites like DVD Fab as well as putting out US Only Versions of their Software?

This is (in my opinion) the way that movie companies are trying to prevent us from copying their movies.

As for copying Rentals sure you CAN do it but just because you can doesn't mean you SHOULD do it as you should always have your original discs just in case the MPAA comes knocking on your door one day =)

This is in the US only, I've heard that in other countries it is LEGAL to rip your movies and even legal to give away the original to a friend / family member. I don't know how true that is but it wouldn't surprise me as here in the US the companies run the country / government not the other way around.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #7300 of 7839 Old 02-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse69 View Post
I thought that "Technically" circumventing the Copy Protection on a Blu Ray Disc is a violation of the DMCA and how they are blocking sites like DVD Fab as well as putting out US Only Versions of their Software?
That is correct. Technically, the software used to circumvent is illegal in the U.S.

Quote:
This is (in my opinion) the way that movie companies are trying to prevent us from copying their movies.
An entirely understandable goal on their part.

Quote:
As for copying Rentals sure you CAN do it but just because you can doesn't mean you SHOULD do it as you should always have your original discs just in case the MPAA comes knocking on your door one day =)
Really, you don't think the rental rippers are deleting their rips when they return the rentals?

Quote:
This is in the US only, I've heard that in other countries it is LEGAL to rip your movies and even legal to give away the original to a friend / family member. I don't know how true that is ....
Also correct. Other countries strike a different balance between the rights of intellectual property owners and the rights of those who use that property.

Jeff
post #7301 of 7839 Old 02-08-2015, 05:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Another great option, thanks. I like that at least in the specs it explicitly states 3D and 4K pass thru

Yeah, I do have a Receiver. Currently I have a 5.1 setup at home (custom built wall unit, in ceiling center channel/ surround speakers). For the new home I don't want to cut through any walls for a while until I live in the space for a bit (plus the in ceiling speakers are staying in the house). I am just trying to make things simple and clutterfree to start off. I will probably take the AVR and throw it in the basement for a small HT type setup, and get a soundbar (Sony or Yamaha) for the family room.

Anyways, I know this has gotten a bit off topic, so back to your regular programming
The low end Sony $300 sound bar will pass through 3D and 4K. Plus decode the advanced audio codecs and accept 7.1 pcm along with having three HDMI inputs.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7302 of 7839 Old 02-08-2015, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The low end Sony $300 sound bar will pass through 3D and 4K. Plus decode the advanced audio codecs and accept 7.1 pcm along with having three HDMI inputs.
Model #? I want to get for Mom for V-Day.
post #7303 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Someone give me a title that has the audio dropouts. Tell me which copy and which playlist and which track is giving the problem. I'm very curious as I have not run into this problem before.

I even went back and re-watched total recall at high volume to hear the audio popping problem, but I did not hear anything like that going on.

I bitstream to a denon avr.
post #7304 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I'm watching TV shows now that I recorded 5 years ago. As an alternative to keeping the backup copies for years, do you know of a way to force write verification on the network drives? Or, when corruption occurs, to perform CRC checks on the files?

Thanks,
CC

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #7305 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 04:01 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 1004 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I'm watching TV shows now that I recorded 5 years ago. As an alternative to keeping the backup copies for years, do you know of a way to force write verification on the network drives? Or, when corruption occurs, to perform CRC checks on the files?

Thanks,
CC
I use SnapRAID. It is specifically designed for collections of large, mostly static files, like a media file library. It (a) keeps one or more parity discs allowing lost discs to be rebuilt, and (2) a checksum database so file integrity can be verified and corrected from parity.

It is a minimalistic approach and runs as a snapshot of the file collection; some other programs in the same niche operate in real time.

The author provides this comparison table: http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7306 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
I use SnapRAID. It is specifically designed for collections of large, mostly static files, like a media file library. It (a) keeps one or more parity discs allowing lost discs to be rebuilt, and (2) a checksum database so file integrity can be verified and corrected from parity.

It is a minimalistic approach and runs as a snapshot of the file collection; some other programs in the same niche operate in real time.

The author provides this comparison table: http://snapraid.sourceforge.net/compare.html

-Bill
Thanks for the info - that sounds like a good option to explore...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #7307 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Really, you don't think the rental rippers are deleting their rips when they return the rentals?

Jeff
That's exactly what I have to do. Rent / rip / watch / delete. I don't own a bluray player and use a linux based HTPC. No native way to watch a bluray without ripping it. In fact, even using a makemkv workaround to stream the disk as you watch is just ripping it in real time.

If there was licensed linux based bluray software I'd happily use it to watch the physical disks but until that point I have to use a workaround. I have no desire to add another big piece of hardware to my equipment rack just to watch the occasional movie...
post #7308 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I don't own a bluray player

Quote:
I have no desire to add
Newsflash: does not make it OK.
mrfattbill likes this.
post #7309 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 06:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Model #? I want to get for Mom for V-Day.
Here are links to them at the Sony store. They all decode the Advanced audio codecs and are supposed to pass through 4K and 3D.

$300
http://store.sony.com/tv-sound-syste...All-Sound-Bars

$350
http://store.sony.com/300w-2.1-sound...All-Sound-Bars

$450
http://store.sony.com/300w-2.1-sound...All-Sound-Bars

$900
http://store.sony.com/hd-sound-bar-w...All-Sound-Bars

$1150
http://store.sony.com/hd-sound-bar-w...All-Sound-Bars

LED DLP

Last edited by aaronwt; 02-09-2015 at 06:39 AM.
post #7310 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
That's exactly what I have to do. Rent / rip / watch / delete. I don't own a bluray player and use a linux based HTPC. No native way to watch a bluray without ripping it. In fact, even using a makemkv workaround to stream the disk as you watch is just ripping it in real time.

If there was licensed linux based bluray software I'd happily use it to watch the physical disks but until that point I have to use a workaround. I have no desire to add another big piece of hardware to my equipment rack just to watch the occasional movie...
http://www.libregeek.org/2014/01/05/...-ubuntu-linux/
post #7311 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I have to do. Rent / rip / watch / delete. I don't own a bluray player and use a linux based HTPC. No native way to watch a bluray without ripping it.
Do you rip under Windows or under Linux?
pepar likes this.

- kelson h

post #7312 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Do you rip under Windows or under Linux?
Linux. I use makemkv.
post #7313 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Newsflash: does not make it OK.
I also tend to drive with the flow of traffic even though it's typically above the posted speed limit. That's not OK either.

I'm not a good person but I do fall asleep each night knowing I've deleted the movies I've watched once I'm done.
pepar, GreySkies and WMConey like this.
post #7314 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I've tried some of those before (quite a while back) but the makemkv / mythtv interaction was not that great. Now that things have matured maybe I should give it a try again. Part of the problem comes from makemkv not always selecting the correct title on the disks that have the 100+ fake sequences.

The funny things is even this is technically A Bad Thing because you are using software to "illegally" decrypt the disk as you are streaming it to your video player.

Oh well.
post #7315 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I've tried some of those before (quite a while back) but the makemkv / mythtv interaction was not that great. Now that things have matured maybe I should give it a try again. Part of the problem comes from makemkv not always selecting the correct title on the disks that have the 100+ fake sequences.
I find that info at the Slysoft forum. It's never failed me to find the correct playlist for a newer release.

LED DLP
post #7316 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The funny things is even this is technically A Bad Thing because you are using software to "illegally" decrypt the disk as you are streaming it to your video player.
As you said, Linux users have no other choice.

- kelson h

post #7317 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

Oh well.
IMO, in reality it is A Bad Thing; technically we are Skating On Thin Ice.

If you could find a workable Linux player, you'd save time and aggravation associated with sorting through playlists and then maybe not being 100% sure you watched the "right" movie. There is a lot more obfuscation in rentals than retail versions.
post #7318 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
On more than one occasion REDBOX did not have the Blu-ray version of the movie so I had to go to NetFlix to rent . . . In a perfect world DVDs would just go away and force the slow adopters to get a BD player
Quote:
While I wish DVDs would go away forever . . .
Just read an interesting article which indicated BluRay make up less than 20% of Redbox rentals.
Looks like it is still a DVD world.

- kelson h

post #7319 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Just read an interesting article which indicated BluRay make up less than 20% of Redbox rentals.
Must still be an SD world.
post #7320 of 7839 Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Even my 76 old mom has a Dune Base 3.0, 8 TB Server, 70" HD TV and a HD sound bar (that I am getting her for V-day). It is up to us to change the world.. She is really fast at finding the correct playlist on troublesome titles.

Last edited by blackssr; 02-09-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com