Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 250 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7471 of 7826 Old 02-18-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
A pox on you.

We do have a rule though. If she picks the movie and we start to watch it, she has to finish it -- no matter how bad it is.
We have a 20 minute rule... 20 minutes to grab us or we move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7472 of 7826 Old 02-18-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Transcoded at what bit rate? So you are not sending out full quality BD rips with HD Audio?
That all depends on the capability of the player hardware. The server will automatically transcode if the player can't handle the video or audio format, or if the client has requested a lower resolution than the media source.

More info at: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...30303-Overview
post #7473 of 7826 Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
That all depends on the capability of the player hardware. The server will automatically transcode if the player can't handle the video or audio format, or if the client has requested a lower resolution than the media source.

More info at: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/art...30303-Overview
With 50/50 FIOS if someone (remote client) has a substantial download speed (like 50/50 FIOS) can they direct play? In other words does the server transcode if the player is capable?

The reason why I ask is that I have Xfinity and according to my internet speed test I get only 12Mbps upload. Xfinity advertises that I should get "up to" 20Mbps upload. Anyhow, anything over 4Mbps on the client side (4Mbps is even sometimes choppy) the movie ends up being pretty choppy. I am pretty much limited at 3Mbps quality setting when streaming remotely.

It makes me wish my area had 50/50 FIOS!

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
post #7474 of 7826 Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
With 50/50 FIOS if someone (remote client) has a substantial download speed (like 50/50 FIOS) can they direct play? In other words does the server transcode if the player is capable?
I suppose it's possible for remote users to direct play but I haven't noticed anyone doing it. I can direct play everything in my library across the home network through the Plex app on my blu ray players. The Roku streamers will direct play h.264 up to level 4.1, anything else needs to be transcoded.

I don't mind answering questions about Plex but we are getting pretty far off topic.
post #7475 of 7826 Old 02-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
I suppose it's possible for remote users to direct play but I haven't noticed anyone doing it. I can direct play everything in my library across the home network through the Plex app on my blu ray players. The Roku streamers will direct play h.264 up to level 4.1, anything else needs to be transcoded.

I don't mind answering questions about Plex but we are getting pretty far off topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post

The reason why I ask is that I have Xfinity and according to my internet speed test I get only 12Mbps upload. Xfinity advertises that I should get "up to" 20Mbps upload. Anyhow, anything over 4Mbps on the client side (4Mbps is even sometimes choppy) the movie ends up being pretty choppy. I am pretty much limited at 3Mbps quality setting when streaming remotely.

It makes me wish my area had 50/50 FIOS!
Yes this is possible as I accidentally did it at work once. I also use Plex (huge fan) and I do not compress my BR Rips at all, I actually keep the HD Audio as well since i just updated my Home Theater System.

Anyway I loaded Plex Home Theater on a PC at work and started playing movies, it wasn't until I looked at my Plex "Activity" and said my movies was playing via "Direct Play" I ended up checking my monitoring software and sure enough I was using 30+ Mb/sec (I have FIOS 75/75) and it is AWESOME!

Just as an FYI Plex Home Theater Version defaults to direct play so I had to go in and change it to 3mb / sec which is HD quality on my 22" Monitor!

Also worth noting with Plex Home Theater you can set the buffer size so depending on the quality of your internet connection you might be able to get away with a higher quality / bit rate that way.

And yes we are getting off topic here, there is a whole area dedicated to Plex, feel free to check it out and ask any questions and I am sure you will get your answers quickly.
jhughy2010 likes this.

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
post #7476 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
I'm getting serious about compression now while I still have some wiggle room. I know it's going to take some time to get comfortable with Handbrake and get the settings dialed in to my liking but it's looking pretty good so far. I'd love to be able to remove an empty HDD or two from the server instead of adding more.
If you ever want to move to megui or cli for more options give me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I guess I'm a renegade/chance taker since I don't have/use a RAID system: I just have 10 USB drives daisy-chained to my PCH A400 along w/mapping 2 other drives to it (of those 2 - one is inside my main PC and the other is connected USB to said PC). So I don't have any back-up should the drive 'fail' and I lose the rips: i'll just have to rip them ALL over again which I've done in the past when I accidentally deleted a 2TB drive moving them around. It sucked for sure and now that I have several 3TB drives that's a lot more to re-rips should one fail!
I run raid so that I have minimal downtime. I make backups because I compress my media. If I were doing 1:1 I would not make backups as ripping without compressing takes no time, relatively.

Quote:
Raid 6 is the best way to go for large amounts of data. In 5 years, myself and over 30 clients have never lost a single bit of data. With Raid 6 and hot spare you will be protected.
The amount of parity drives should be based on the length of time it takes to build an array. Even raid 6 on one and a half dozen 3tb+ drives would be borderline insane as an all in one solution.

Maybe it's just my aging card, but it took a week for my raid 6 to expand two more drives. That was going from four to six drives of the 3tb capacity. That was done in the background btw so as to have zero downtime on the array.
post #7477 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 04:52 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post

Maybe we can annoy these guys enough that one day someone from this knowledgeable group will take the time to create a sticky on the first page with some of this basic stuff. Until then everyone has to earn their dues I guess )
one of the regulars here created this ... it is his website .... and I think still has the link in his sig.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011...omes-personal/
post #7478 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
one of the regulars here created this ... it is his website .... and I think still has the link in his sig.

I thought that was from dbone1026? HE still posts in this thread.

I used to be on that site all the time when I used Windows Home Servers years ago. But I eventually dumped my WHS when I went to unRAID a few years ago.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7479 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I personally wouldn't trust a word that clown wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I thought that was from dbone1026? HE still posts in this thread.

I used to be on that site all the time when I used Windows Home Servers years ago. But I eventually dumped my WHS when I went to unRAID a few years ago.
Site pretty much died anyhow when MS moved away from home servers and for me at least the media player market got boring.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7480 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Maybe it's just my aging card, but it took a week for my raid 6 to expand two more drives. That was going from four to six drives of the 3tb capacity. That was done in the background btw so as to have zero downtime on the array.
True, but the option is nice to have. Some of the higher end, hardware based cards from Areca are much quicker. Also when adding space we usually add drives in banks of 4 so it minimizes the inconvenience to the client.
post #7481 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Raid 6 is the best way to go for large amounts of data. In 5 years, myself and over 30 clients have never lost a single bit of data. With Raid 6 and hot spare you will be protected.
But that MUST be much more expensive than my current set-up.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7482 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Just my personal opinion, but I think hardware RAID for a media server is overkill compared to a software RAID solution. The drives on my media server are used to store and supply content. They are read but rarely written to -- only when I have a title to put on them -- so the data of the "active drive" may change only a couple times a week. My individual disks get filled up one by one to the point where there is only 10-20 GB of free space left and from that point on they are only read. So there is only 1 "active disk" at a time that gets new content. A soft-RAID solution like FlexRAID, which updates the parity disk(s) nightly or on demand is perfect. It places no overhead on the read/write operations during normal use. Disks of the array can be addressed individually. You can designate multiple parity disks and add new disks to the array by simply plugging them in. Data disks can be any size as long as the parity disk(s) are equal to the largest drives.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7483 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But that MUST be much more expensive than my current set-up.
I have used card this quite a few time in lower end builds. Email notification in the event of failure, Raid 5,Hot Spare and On line expansion. Not bad for ~ 150.00.

http://www.amazon.com/HighPoint-Rock...ghpoint+raid+6
post #7484 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have used card this quite a few time in lower end builds. Email notification in the event of failure, Raid 5,Hot Spare and On line expansion. Not bad for ~ 150.00.

Wow - ok - color me out of my league now. I'm a computer nut but I know nothing about this card or even how to use it to set up a Raid. I'm tech support for the home and such (even at work with my team) but this is something I know extremely little about. I wish I had a 'friend' that could teach me about it (lay mans terms) or easy videos. My set up is a Popcorn Hour A400 with an internal SATA drive w/8 USB drives connected to it (all 2TB or 3TB) and w/my main PC I have one internal drive and one USB external drive mapped to the PCH and use YAMJ from my main PC to create the jukebox. I rip the BD (main movie only w/HD audio but full ISO rips for 3D BDs) to my main PC and then move/copy it to one of the drives. I love the idea of using a Raid in the event of drive failure I don't lose what's on that drive.

post #7485 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Wow - ok - color me out of my league now. I'm a computer nut but I know nothing about this card or even how to use it to set up a Raid. I'm tech support for the home and such (even at work with my team) but this is something I know extremely little about. I wish I had a 'friend' that could teach me about it (lay mans terms) or easy videos. My set up is a Popcorn Hour A400 with an internal SATA drive w/8 USB drives connected to it (all 2TB or 3TB) and w/my main PC I have one internal drive and one USB external drive mapped to the PCH and use YAMJ from my main PC to create the jukebox. I rip the BD (main movie only w/HD audio but full ISO rips for 3D BDs) to my main PC and then move/copy it to one of the drives. I love the idea of using a Raid in the event of drive failure I don't lose what's on that drive.
Unless you really want to be an IT expert as a hobby, I'd recommend you buy a Qnap NAS, or similar brand, that supports RAID. Install a bunch of HDDs and be done with it.

I speak from experience. It is a hassle and a pain to build, configure, and maintain a custom NAS.
post #7486 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will help you if need guidance on what to buy. I'll even assist in setup. Just PM Me.. It is not that hard to setup. As with anything, you get out of it what you put in. HighPoint cards are very user friendly unlike Areca.
post #7487 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Unless you really want to be an IT expert as a hobby, I'd recommend you buy a Qnap NAS, or similar brand, that supports RAID. Install a bunch of HDDs and be done with it.

I speak from experience. It is a hassle and a pain to build, configure, and maintain a custom NAS.
Not True.. it is a lot easier than programming a custom patch for the Dunes.
post #7488 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
When I think of all those USB drives all over the place I cannot help but think of the first photo:

When I think of a elegant raid setup with the same amount of space the second comes to mind.:

All in good fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shanty_Town_Hong_Kong_China_March_2013.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	555729   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	555737  
post #7489 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Not True.. it is a lot easier than programming a custom patch for the Dunes.
Maybe I'm just too hardcore then. If I build it myself, I do it thoroughly, and since I'm not a pro and don't do this every day, I require an enormous amount of time to learn and research before I do anything. Server-grade mobo, CPU, ECC RAM, why not? Oh, turns out my CPU is too new so Ubuntu LTS doesn't support ECC on that CPU. Oops. I've spent way too much time dealing with silly things like that.

Then you get it up and running -- are you sure it's working correctly? When a drive fails, will it use the hot spare automatically? Will it properly notify me if it detects a failing RAM chip? If the power fails, will it cleanly shut down before turning off the UPS? All those things take a lot of time to set up and test properly.

If I just buy a Qnap box and plug it in, all that work is done for me. It won't be as hardcore and might be less reliable, but it's far easier, and cheaper than the hardcore homebrewed thing I would have built instead.

If you want to slap a RAID card in an old desktop and plug in a bunch of drives, configure Samba and leave it at that, then DIY might not be so bad. But the hard-core in me won't stand for it.
post #7490 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
If I was in the position where she insisted they be retained, then I would certainly dumb the audio down to AC3 and have Handbrake shrink them down to 5GB.
Or switch to DVDs and use DVD Shrink to compress to still pictures which'd save tons of space

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7491 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you want to slap a RAID card in an old desktop and plug in a bunch of drives, configure Samba and leave it at that, then DIY might not be so bad. But the hard-core in me won't stand for it.

Wryker mentioned he wanted Raid. I assume he is a Windows user as is 93+ % of the free world. Re-purposing a windows desktop with a raid card is a great way to build a SMB server that the Dunes and similar players work well with. Any raid solution is better than having 8 USB drives plugged in all over the place. Even if I wasn't in the business, the mess would drive me insane and I would pay a pro to install a server and do it correctly. He has the basic foundation in place and I am willing to assist in getting him a nice raid setup. My offer stands.

Last edited by blackssr; 02-19-2015 at 11:57 AM.
post #7492 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I have two of the cards in my server. I however do JBOD and use software (Stablebit) for basically Raid1

Cheers,
Damian

post #7493 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
I have two of the cards in my server. I however do JBOD and use software (Stablebit) for basically Raid1
It has been a while, do these do Raid 6?
post #7494 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
JBOD or BSOD?
post #7495 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
It has been a while, do these do Raid 6?
Honestly no clue, since I don't use hardware RAID I never really looked to see what it supported. All I checked for was that it supported JBOD.

Cheers,
Damian

post #7496 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
JBOD or BSOD?
Haha, I think we may be getting closer to resolving my problem. I just need to find some time t o finish troubleshooting. Tough to do since I am in the middle of a move ...

Cheers,
Damian

post #7497 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Wryker mentioned he wanted Raid. I assume he is a Windows user as is 93+ % of the free world. Re-purposing a windows desktop with a raid card is a great way to build a SMB server that the Dunes and similar players work well with. Any raid solution is better than having 8 USB drives plugged in all over the place. Even if I wasn't in the business, the mess would drive me insane and I would pay a pro to install a server and do it correctly. He has the basic foundation in place and I am willing to assist in getting him a nice raid setup. My offer stands.
I mentioned RAID since that seems to have always been the 'buzzword/thing to do'. I'm not sure I'm a good candidate at this point since my external USB drives are enclosed - meaning I didn't buy the bare drive and box. In the beginning I ONLY bought Fantom Green Drives since they would only run when necessary. With the low cost 3TB WD external drives I've purchased those the last few times.

post #7498 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

It was never a pain for my Windows Home Servers I had or with the three unRAID setups I currently have. What would be a pain is using something that is pre-built and very limited. They typically cost a lot more than my own setups and only allows for a fraction of the storage capacity.

Although I do still have an Intel RAID5 setup. But again it is limited. It only allows for four drives and I currently have it in a RAID 5 configuration. But that only allows for a small amount of storage compared to what I'm able to store in my unRAID setups. Plus I trust my unRAID setups more.

LED DLP
post #7499 of 7826 Old 02-19-2015, 09:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Then you get it up and running -- are you sure it's working correctly? When a drive fails, will it use the hot spare automatically? Will it properly notify me if it detects a failing RAM chip? If the power fails, will it cleanly shut down before turning off the UPS? All those things take a lot of time to set up and test properly.

The first thing I do when I setup any storage systems, is to test it under those conditions. I want to make sure it behaves properly and can also restore content before I actually put my data on it. So I typically put test data on a system and put it through it's paces for a couple of weeks to make sure there are no issues. Otherwise, how do you actually know it work work properly. I got burned many years ago when I tried using a pre-built storage system. And when it came time to try and restore some data it failed. Which is why I test everything now before putting them into service. To make sure they work like they are supposed to.
Sure it takes some extra time, but that is the only way you can make sure it will work properly. No matter what you use.

LED DLP
post #7500 of 7826 Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Although I do still have an Intel RAID5 setup. But again it is limited. It only allows for four drives and I currently have it in a RAID 5 configuration. But that only allows for a small amount of storage compared to what I'm able to store in my unRAID setups. Plus I trust my unRAID setups more.
On board controller?
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com