Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 252 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #7531 of 7541 Old 02-23-2015, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I may have been confusing with my statement. I was stating that the LG is much much faster at ripping than the Pioneer was. I understand all about USB speeds etc.

Current Sets:
PN64F8500 Plasma (The Last Great Plasma)
Sony XBR65X900B with BDP-S6200 Blu-Ray Player

Previously Owned:
UN65HU7250 (4k Curved) UN55HU6840 (4K Flat) UN65HU8550 (4K Flat) Vizio P65 (4K Flat) All Returned due to Poor Quality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7532 of 7541 Old 02-23-2015, 06:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Conversion from the ext drive's native interface, i.e. SATA to USB, could introduce some transactional overhead that slows the throughput.

Jeff
I guess it's possible. But I'm just going by my internal drives that I put in enclosures. The speeds have been identical for me except for when exceeding USB 2.0 speeds which only happens if it's a single layer disc. I never bothered getting any USB 3.0 enclosures since I don't use the external enclosures very much any more.

53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7533 of 7541 Old 02-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper32 View Post
Pioneer BDC-207D unit I have only rips at about 2.0x, very slow.........
i am ripping a disc right now with that drive at 8X with anydvd runnin in the background...

http://www.firmwarehq.com/Pioneer/BDR-207D/files.html
post #7534 of 7541 Old 02-24-2015, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I think hardware RAID for a media server is overkill compared to a software RAID solution. The drives on my media server are used to store and supply content. They are read but rarely written to -- only when I have a title to put on them -- so the data of the "active drive" may change only a couple times a week. My individual disks get filled up one by one to the point where there is only 10-20 GB of free space left and from that point on they are only read. So there is only 1 "active disk" at a time that gets new content. A soft-RAID solution like FlexRAID, which updates the parity disk(s) nightly or on demand is perfect. It places no overhead on the read/write operations during normal use. Disks of the array can be addressed individually. You can designate multiple parity disks and add new disks to the array by simply plugging them in. Data disks can be any size as long as the parity disk(s) are equal to the largest drives.
Has the verify/validate problem been hashed out of flexraid-f yet? That is the only thing pointing me towards flexraid-t over it. The problem happened when a verify/validate would run while a file was being used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
Wow - ok - color me out of my league now. I'm a computer nut but I know nothing about this card or even how to use it to set up a Raid. I'm tech support for the home and such (even at work with my team) but this is something I know extremely little about. I wish I had a 'friend' that could teach me about it (lay mans terms) or easy videos. My set up is a Popcorn Hour A400 with an internal SATA drive w/8 USB drives connected to it (all 2TB or 3TB) and w/my main PC I have one internal drive and one USB external drive mapped to the PCH and use YAMJ from my main PC to create the jukebox. I rip the BD (main movie only w/HD audio but full ISO rips for 3D BDs) to my main PC and then move/copy it to one of the drives. I love the idea of using a Raid in the event of drive failure I don't lose what's on that drive.
Hardware raid is actually easier to setup than software raid imo. The GUI for my 3ware raid card can be setup in minutes.
post #7535 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Got a question about BD audio tracks. I figure I can save some space by getting rid of audio tracks I don't need on my rips. "Memento" for instance has 1 DTS 5.1 track and 3 AC-3 2-channel tracks. I am worried that if I just leave the 5.1 track (DTS or DTHD) some players, not connected to an A/V receiver, might not be able to decode the audio. Is this still a problem, or will most devices be able to downmix to stereo for the tv on their own? I use a kdlinks720 and a wdtv live smp. These 2 players are just hdmi directly to the tv. (Bedroom and band room).
Dvdfab doesn't show a whole lot of info on these tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	568137  
post #7536 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Got a question about BD audio tracks. I figure I can save some space by getting rid of audio tracks I don't need on my rips. "Memento" for instance has 1 DTS 5.1 track and 3 AC-3 2-channel tracks. I am worried that if I just leave the 5.1 track (DTS or DTHD) some players, not connected to an A/V receiver, might not be able to decode the audio. Is this still a problem, or will most devices be able to downmix to stereo for the tv on their own? I use a kdlinks720 and a wdtv live smp. These 2 players are just hdmi directly to the tv. (Bedroom and band room).
It depends on the player. I know for a FACT if you rip just the HD audio and the play back devices don't support it you get NO audio. My folks tried some DVDs (not even BD) with DTS audio and no sound came out their player. Yes -an older player for sure. I've since upgraded them to a new TV and bluray player!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7537 of 7541 Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Most players will internally decode to at least 2 Channel PCM and send out over HDMI. I know the Dune Base Series 3.0 will decode to Multi-channel PCM/Analog while the 303D and Base 3D will only do 2 Channel Analog. If memory serves the KDLinks will do only 2 channel PCM over HDMI. I only spent a short time with the 720 while at a client. I have no idea about the WD. It is a cheap player so I would guess it only does 2 channel PCM over HDMI if even that.

Last edited by blackssr; Yesterday at 04:47 PM.
post #7538 of 7541 Unread Yesterday, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
It depends on the player. I know for a FACT if you rip just the HD audio and the play back devices don't support it you get NO audio. My folks tried some DVDs (not even BD) with DTS audio and no sound came out their player. Yes -an older player for sure. I've since upgraded them to a new TV and bluray player!
Not necessarily true. If the source device is capable of de-embedding the audio to analog (2 or multi channel) or down sampling to 2 channel PCM then the TV should accept it and play the audio.
post #7539 of 7541 Unread Yesterday, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Not necessarily true. If the source device is capable of de-embedding the audio to analog (2 or multi channel) or down sampling to 2 channel PCM then the TV should accept it and play the audio.
Most definitely is. If the player doesn't support DTS and that's the only audio on the disc you get no sound. I know this for a fact since, as I already posted, that's what happened with my parents. Now those DVDs play fine w/the BD player and new TV.

post #7540 of 7541 Unread Yesterday, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Most definitely is. If the player doesn't support DTS and that's the only audio on the disc you get no sound. I know this for a fact since, as I already posted, that's what happened with my parents. Now those DVDs play fine w/the BD player and new TV.
I have experienced this on dvds. I even remember it was "road to perdition. I just saved the dts audio. I brought the backup disc to a friends house who just had a dvd player hooked up to his tv. No sound. This was years ago. I didn't know if the dvd player was passing the dts to the tv and the tv couldnt play it, or it the dvd wasent downmixing.

I assume the consensus is that it is the media players job is to down mix to stereo if it can. I guess it worries me that even if my current players do indeed downmix, im not future proof if i get a new player down the road. I was reading something about guys keeping a "spare" 2-channel audio track on the rip for this reason. Do you guys do this? You can probably guess what my next question would be😳
post #7541 of 7541 Unread Today, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have experienced this on dvds. I even remember it was "road to perdition. I just saved the dts audio. I brought the backup disc to a friends house who just had a dvd player hooked up to his tv. No sound. This was years ago. I didn't know if the dvd player was passing the dts to the tv and the tv couldnt play it, or it the dvd wasent downmixing.

I assume the consensus is that it is the media players job is to down mix to stereo if it can. I guess it worries me that even if my current players do indeed downmix, im not future proof if i get a new player down the road. I was reading something about guys keeping a "spare" 2-channel audio track on the rip for this reason. Do you guys do this? You can probably guess what my next question would be😳
I don't. Though sometimes I add the audio track that's the 'commentary'. It depends on the player. If it's a BD player I'd be surprised if it doesn't support the various audio formats.

Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page