Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 253 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7561 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcell View Post
To find the correct playlist I use Process Monitor; a free utility from Microsoft.
Open Process Monitor. Go to Filter > Filter.
Create a Filter to match these conditions: Path, contains, MPLS, include.
Click 'Add' then 'Apply' then 'OK'
Close Process Monitor.
Open PowerDVD and load disc. Skip through any trailers etc until you get to the disc menu.
Minimize PowerDVD and open Process Monitor. Process Monitor should have a box showing what filters were in effect last time > Click OK.
Switch back to PowerDVD and select 'Play Movie'
Wait until you see the movie start. After a few few seconds hit pause.
Switch back to Process Monitor. The MPLS will be listed in the last events shown. That is the correct main movie playlist.
This is such a great idea! This ought to be a sticky on the main post or something.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (Emby), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7562 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
To find the correct playlist I use Process Monitor; a free utility from Microsoft.
Close Process Monitor.
Open PowerDVD and load disc. Skip through any trailers etc until you get to the disc menu.
Minimize PowerDVD and open Process Monitor. Process Monitor should have a box showing what filters were in effect last time > Click OK.
Switch back to Process Monitor. The MPLS will be listed in the last events shown. That is the correct main movie playlist.
Very nice and thanks so much. On behalf of myself and Lionsgate Executives we sincerely thank you for your contribution.
johnBlanker likes this.
post #7563 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
Is there any program that will keep the HD 7.1 track? every program I tried is only good for up to 5.1 audio it seems.

Ghost protocol and The Hobbit are both good examples.
MakeMkv does. As does hd dvd/blu ray stream extractor.
post #7564 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Very nice and thanks so much. On behalf of myself and Lionsgate Executives we sincerely thank you for your contribution.
Only problem is you need a software player that does full BD menus. I don't believe any of those are free.

Can we count on you to keep posting the correct playlists here?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7565 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 30
u bet
post #7566 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Only problem is you need a software player that does full BD menus. I don't believe any of those are free.

Can we count on you to keep posting the correct playlists here?
Definitely. Mom needs a project. Since my father passed away she needs a diversion. And Lionsgate is her new pet project.
post #7567 of 7929 Old 02-28-2015, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
This is such a great idea! This ought to be a sticky on the main post or something.
Or simply select main movie in (free) DVDfab and select the title shown there which often is correct (especially when updated to bypass latest protections).

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7568 of 7929 Old 03-01-2015, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If you don't have a commercial player then one can use the free Pot Player, assuming you have AnyDVD installed.
1. AnyDVD running
2. Run Process Monitor (same filter setting as mentioned above)
3. Fire up Pot Player and wait for the movie to start playing
4. The MPLS will be listed in the last events shown.
post #7569 of 7929 Old 03-01-2015, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Or simply select main movie in (free) DVDfab and select the title shown there which often is correct (especially when updated to bypass latest protections).
i found dvdfab to not always be correct
post #7570 of 7929 Old 03-01-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
i found dvdfab to not always be correct
Same here. I don't trust it at all.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7571 of 7929 Old 03-01-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I use it pretty much all the time when a new protection is added, it's usually correct which can be verified by using the preview function. YMMV.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7572 of 7929 Old 03-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Close Process Monitor.
I'm ripping Justified Season 05 right now and this process does NOT give the right mpls for the episode that plays. Wonder if it's because it's a series and not a movie?

Alex
post #7573 of 7929 Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedEdge View Post
I'm ripping Justified Season 05 right now and this process does NOT give the right mpls for the episode that plays. Wonder if it's because it's a series and not a movie?
I would use the above process for a disc that has playlist obfuscation. Otherwise, I use BDinfo with the ISO mounted. You can easily see which m2ts file belong to a certain MPLS.
post #7574 of 7929 Old 03-11-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Hi,

I tried to search this particular post but no joy... I want to ask,... Should I rip core audio?

For example I'm about to rip a disc with a TrueHD dolby track... I never rip the corresponding core audio but I wonder if I should...?? Does it add to the file size? Should it be possble for playback devices to down sample directly if needed?... ??

Thanks,

Brian
post #7575 of 7929 Old 03-11-2015, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

I tried to search this particular post but no joy... I want to ask,... Should I rip core audio?

For example I'm about to rip a disc with a TrueHD dolby track... I never rip the corresponding core audio but I wonder if I should...?? Does it add to the file size? Should it be possble for playback devices to down sample directly if needed?... ??

Thanks,

Brian
Are you ripping to a BDMV/Blu Ray/m2ts structure or mkv? If BDMV/BluRay/m2ts/ts then the core AC3 track will be included with the TrueHD track. If doing an mkv then the core AC3 track will not be included. For an mkv I would highly recommend not only ripping the TrueHD track but also the embedded AC3 track since there are a decent amount of players out there that cannot handle the TrueHD track (in which you just simply switch to the AC3 track).
Brian Hampton likes this.

Cheers,
Damian

MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net

Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP 2010-2012

post #7576 of 7929 Old 03-11-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
Hi,

Thanks,

Brian
The only time I include an AC audio is if the audio I want is PCM - than I have to have an AC audio along with it.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7577 of 7929 Old 03-11-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 190
I understand that I should include the core audio and why I should but so far I've been skipping it and I imagine my MKV are smaller because I skip it.

I play them back on the Chromebox and can't really imagine not wanting the HD audio track so I won't be buying anything that doesn't support HD Audio playback.

I keep a separate plex server for DVD and that can be accessed all around the house via wifi.
post #7578 of 7929 Old 03-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Unhappy Can't rip!!!

I have run into an odd problem that I'm hoping one of the gurus here can help me resolve.

I've been using an LG GGC-H20L with AnyDVD HD to rip BDs for a number of years with only the occasional problem. I'm currently running on Win7 Ultimate 64bit system.

Recently, it started reading so slowly that I thought it was failing. So I bought a new LG WH16NS40 but the problem persists. I've tried this on several BD disks and DVDs and I can't complete a copy. I tried changing the SATA cable and that had no effect.

I remembered that I still had Windows XP on this computer (this box is several years old) and gave it a try there. Wouldn't you know that worked just fine.

So that tells me it is not a hardware problem but something in the software, possibly an interaction with different applications.

On this PC I use free AVG 2015 virus protection. I'm also running the latest version of My Movies. There may be some interaction here as it want to rip the movie "its way" and that is not my preference. Could be a host of other things.

Additionally, and this could be the most obvious indicator of a problem, AnyDVD will not load from startup or when clicking on the app. I've had to reinstall everytime I wanted to use it.

In any case, I'd love to hear if anyone has experienced similar problems or could venture a guess as to what might be causing this. Until I can solve it, I'm stuck switching to XP for ripping.

Thanks!

Louis
post #7579 of 7929 Old 03-13-2015, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
I have run into an odd problem that I'm hoping one of the gurus here can help me resolve.

I've been using an LG GGC-H20L with AnyDVD HD to rip BDs for a number of years with only the occasional problem. I'm currently running on Win7 Ultimate 64bit system.

Recently, it started reading so slowly that I thought it was failing. So I bought a new LG WH16NS40 but the problem persists. I've tried this on several BD disks and DVDs and I can't complete a copy. I tried changing the SATA cable and that had no effect.

I remembered that I still had Windows XP on this computer (this box is several years old) and gave it a try there. Wouldn't you know that worked just fine.

So that tells me it is not a hardware problem but something in the software, possibly an interaction with different applications.

On this PC I use free AVG 2015 virus protection. I'm also running the latest version of My Movies. There may be some interaction here as it want to rip the movie "its way" and that is not my preference. Could be a host of other things.

Additionally, and this could be the most obvious indicator of a problem, AnyDVD will not load from startup or when clicking on the app. I've had to reinstall everytime I wanted to use it.

In any case, I'd love to hear if anyone has experienced similar problems or could venture a guess as to what might be causing this. Until I can solve it, I'm stuck switching to XP for ripping.

Thanks!

Louis
Okay, I figured out what was causing the problem. I had Disc Copy on in MyMovies and it was taking over automatically and copying the files. I've turned it off and I'm now back to my regular process. I may try it again in the future. It looks interesting but not the workflow I'm use to using.

Louis
post #7580 of 7929 Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
xxx
xxx
xxx

The MPLS is shown in the 'Path' column? for last event of Potplayer? (Please see attached picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProcessMonitor.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	612481  
post #7581 of 7929 Old 03-19-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Anybody have an idea on how to get the Atmos audio track from the new Gravity blu-ray and attach it to the 3D video file from the 3D blu-ray?
post #7582 of 7929 Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmurf View Post
The MPLS is shown in the 'Path' column? for last event of Potplayer? (Please see attached picture).
Yes, correct.
post #7583 of 7929 Old 03-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Yes, correct.
Thanks
post #7584 of 7929 Old 03-20-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Are you ripping to a BDMV/Blu Ray/m2ts structure or mkv? If BDMV/BluRay/m2ts/ts then the core AC3 track will be included with the TrueHD track. If doing an mkv then the core AC3 track will not be included. For an mkv I would highly recommend not only ripping the TrueHD track but also the embedded AC3 track since there are a decent amount of players out there that cannot handle the TrueHD track (in which you just simply switch to the AC3 track).

for some reason when I rip TrueHD movies the track does not get ripped properly because the AVR does not show the True HD logo at all. DTS HD movies work without any issues.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #7585 of 7929 Old 03-21-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Use MakeMKV for creating the MKV. It works perfectly fine with the Dolby True HD track. I just select the Dolby True HD track and the DD track when creating the MKV. It has worked perfectly every time for playback with a 7.1 and lower DOlby True HD track.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7586 of 7929 Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 PM

Liked: 0
Playing bluray backups including menus, extras

I have a bluray backup workflow that uses makemkv's backup option to create complete backups of my blurays and store them on a synology NAS without transcoding (this is intentional: I know a lot about transcoding but have chosen not to go that route). I can easily play the primary movie back on various devices over the network by directly opening the correct M2TS but have not yet found a good workflow for watching the extras.. i really want a software player that i can point at the folder that will show the menus extras etc like a normal bluray player. I'm not interested in an elaborate transcoding scheme.. I have enough storage to keep backups but would like more convenience for accessing all the content.

thx

James
post #7587 of 7929 Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clarke View Post
I can easily play the primary movie back on various devices over the network by directly opening the correct M2TS but have not yet found a good workflow for watching the extras.. i really want a software player that i can point at the folder that will show the menus extras etc like a normal bluray player.
  1. Power DVD
  2. Win DVD
  3. Total Media Theater
  4. DVD Fab Media Player

1,2,3 support Cinavia DRM
4 ignores Cinavia
James Clarke likes this.

- kelson h

post #7588 of 7929 Old 03-21-2015, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Anybody have an idea on how to get the Atmos audio track from the new Gravity blu-ray and attach it to the 3D video file from the 3D blu-ray?

AnyDVDHD, tsMuxeR,BDinfo are all you need.

Rip both movies to hard drive using AnyDVD HD.
Mount both movies using Virtual Drive
Demux the Atmos out of the movie using tsMuxeR.
Load the 3D version into tsMuxeR with correct playlist found from BDinfo.
Add the Atmos track
Uncheck the DTS HD Track
Check the Atmos track
Create new ISO with tsMuxeR.

My only concern is will the Audio and Video be in Sync.

For what it is worth,I also just figured out how to combine the two parts of large 3D movies like the following: The Hobbit: An unexpected Journey Extended 3D, and The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug Extended 3D into a single ISO. If any one cares let me know and I will write a brief tutorial on what to do. I tested both movies and no issues whatsoever. It was really nice watching continuously without having to leave part one and load part two. I think my method will also work for the LOTR Extended Trilogy but I do not own these.
pepar likes this.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!

Last edited by blackssr; 03-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.
post #7589 of 7929 Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM

Liked: 0
Thx! i'm up and running! One followup question: do you know of any devices that support menus / extras from a folder rip.. eg the Roku 3?
post #7590 of 7929 Old 03-23-2015, 12:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
  1. Power DVD
  2. Win DVD
  3. Total Media Theater
  4. DVD Fab Media Player

1,2,3 support Cinavia DRM
4 ignores Cinavia
Be careful of #4 , I've been having some major payback issues with DVD Fab Media Player of retail Blu Rays. I have their Pro version and they don't seem to support it very well. I got the retail version of Mocking Jay Part 1 and it wouldn't even load it. I e-mailed them, they said that it was a known issue what "Should" be fixed in a new release but couldn't give me any hint of when that might be. They just updated it within the last few days and it will now start to load the menu but never plays, it will just hang and eventually lockup.

It seems like the ones that have the million different play lists cause the most problems but if a real Blu Ray player can play it why can't a software version play it as well?

Denon AVR-X7200 - Klipsch RF-82 II Fronts, RC-62 II Center, RS-52 II Surrounds & R-112SW & Four CDT-5800-C II Ceilings for an Atmos 5.1.4 Setup.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page