Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 259 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7741 of 8060 Old 04-12-2015, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
Any advice or opinion on what the best external bd drive is best for ripping. ..is internal better?
I've been using this one and it's worked pretty well for me:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But I don't think I did any comparisons other than ratings on Amazon.

I think internal vs external would depend on the quality of your particular USB vs SATA drivers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7742 of 8060 Old 04-12-2015, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Not sure if anyone saw this as of today. I have not been on here lately.Busy at work.

Slysoft has made some progress in beating the cancer that is Cinavia. Not perfect but progress none the less.

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread...val-Suggestion

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #7743 of 8060 Old 04-12-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Waste of time, IMHO.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7744 of 8060 Old 04-12-2015, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Waste of time, IMHO.
I disagree, IMHO.
post #7745 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 02:41 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Don't most streamers, e.g. PCH, not have a problem with Cinevia?
post #7746 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Unlicensed mkv players certainly don't have any problem with cinavia (kodi, some upnp/dlna steamers, emby, etc) . . . essentially as long as the player doesn't support playing an "unripped" blu-ray (aka ps3, pdvd, etc) it's probably not going to implement cinavia just for kicks
post #7747 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Slayer View Post
Unlicensed mkv players certainly don't have any problem with cinavia (kodi, some upnp/dlna steamers, emby, etc) . . . essentially as long as the player doesn't support playing an "unripped" blu-ray (aka ps3, pdvd, etc) it's probably not going to implement cinavia just for kicks
Yes, "licensed" is the determining factor. I would think that would be the overwhelming majority of us here. Don't you need to rip a BD, burn it to a blank and try to play it in a licensed player to have a problem with Cinevia?
post #7748 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Yes, "licensed" is the determining factor. I would think that would be the overwhelming majority of us here. Don't you need to rip a BD, burn it to a blank and try to play it in a licensed player to have a problem with Cinevia?
No, it can be an mkv rip or even an x264 encode played back from a NAS or server

A lot are surprised when their ps3 randomly won't play a title through plex. Not an issue most of the time with streaming though. The ps3 just happens to play licensed blu rays.
post #7749 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1883 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackssr View Post
Not sure if anyone saw this as of today. I have not been on here lately.Busy at work.

Slysoft has made some progress in beating the cancer that is Cinavia. Not perfect but progress none the less.

https://forum.slysoft.com/showthread...val-Suggestion
Sounds like they still have a ways to go. Apparently it sounds like crap with echos right now and audio speed changes and it gets re-encoded to lossy audio. So you currently would lose any lossless quality. Or did I read that wrong? I'm glad I don't need to worry about any of it.
pepar likes this.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7750 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm curious how most of you guys are doing this.

Currently, my process is - main title > mkv (with Makemkv), convert HD audio track to flac since all my playback hardware supports it and it saves space.

Should I then use something like BDtoAVCHD (which uses x264) and convert them all to BD25? I'm concerned with creating an archival copy. I don't think a BD9 @ 1080p looks bad but it's definitely not going to look or sound like Blu-ray because the video and audio bandwidth is much lower.

(I'm not actually putting these to disc, but creating a ~20GB mkv file to store on my drive).

Is there any advice that you guys have? Anything I should be doing differently?

Last edited by hogger129; 04-13-2015 at 06:15 AM.
post #7751 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

I only store content on hard drive. I've owned multiple BD burners for many years and have only burned a few BD for things other than testing. And that was just for some recorded TV content. I would never rip a BD and put it back on a BD. I typically rip a full copy except for the handful of titles I run into that have hundreds of titles to choose from . For those I use MakeMKV and rip the movie with all the english audio tracks and english subtitle tracks.

LED DLP
post #7752 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I only store content on hard drive. I've owned multiple BD burners for many years and have only burned a few BD for things other than testing. And that was just for some recorded TV content. I would never rip a BD and put it back on a BD. I typically rip a full copy except for the handful of titles I run into that have hundreds of titles to choose from . For those I use MakeMKV and rip the movie with all the english audio tracks and english subtitle tracks.
Do you store the content uncompressed? How large of a hard drive are you running? I was thinking about getting a WD Green 4TB, but not sure if I want to spend the money if the larger 6TB would come down in price any time soon.
post #7753 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Do you store the content uncompressed? How large of a hard drive are you running? I was thinking about getting a WD Green 4TB, but not sure if I want to spend the money if the larger 6TB would come down in price any time soon.
Yes, most of us are ripping uncompressed. And many are ripping only the main movie, lossless audio and, if needed, subtitles. Also popular is a RAID scheme like Snap RAID or unRAID, or maybe more of a pre-rolled solution such as an NAS. Personally, I didn't move to Bluray's audio/video superiority to then compress to save a few bucks on storage. A TB these days is $35. Average file size for the scheme I mentioned is about 25GB. That's 40 movies per TB.

Jeff

Last edited by pepar; 04-13-2015 at 06:24 AM.
post #7754 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:22 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I run three unRAID setups to store my content. Currently I'm using a total of 55 hard drives in them.

LED DLP
post #7755 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:
No, it can be an mkv rip or even an x264 encode played back from a NAS or server
A lot are surprised when their ps3 randomly won't play a title through plex. Not an issue most of the time with streaming though. The ps3 just happens to play licensed blu rays.
Cinavia also kills playback through the Plex app on my Samsung Blu-ray players. The titles with Cinavia will play fine for about 20 minutes, then the audio blanks and an error message pops up.
post #7756 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:27 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
If you need a drive or drives now, buy the best solution at the time. Otherwise you will never buy because the newer, larger drives are ALWAYS coming down in price.
post #7757 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 06:30 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
I run three unRAID setups to store my content. Currently I'm using a total of 55 hard drives in them.
You're an outlier.
post #7758 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Waste of time, IMHO.
I disagree. Look at the bigger picture. Every time a new copy protection is defeated it is good for end users with media servers, media streamers and even HTPCs. The studios waste a tremendous amount of money on this and I personally smile when it was all a waste of time. If anyone is going to defeat Cinavia, I had hoped it would be Slysoft. They have the resources and the pedigree to do so successfully. Reports are saying the method they use is working but not optimal, this will improve over time. I have no horse in this race and Cinavia has never been an issue for me. I just like it when Studio executives scramble for more ways to prevent the unpreventable.

post #7759 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Don't most streamers, e.g. PCH, not have a problem with Cinevia?
Quote:
That pretty much says it. A licensed BluRay player (hardware or software) made after 2/2012 will support Cinavia. All of them will trigger on a burned BD-R (or DVD-R) with Cinavia protected content -- disk-based piracy is still a very large outlet. Many of those BD players will also trigger when used to play ripped Cinavia protected content streamed over a network or from a local drive -- however, many of them currently will not. They are supposed to but it kind of slips through the cracks since they are mainly focused on disk-based Cinavia enforcement. I'm not aware of a list that distinguishes between the players' disk vs. streaming Cinavia support, but in general expect Sony players to implement Cinavia in any and every way they can -- predictable, since Sony is responsible for >90% of all Cinavia infected titles. I'm not aware of a single media player that currently or has ever supported Cinavia. The requirement of a BDA license and Cinavia implementation to play Java BD menus is what eliminated BD menu support from the higher end media streamers (i.e. Dune) -- nobody would buy them if they supported Cinavia.

Cinavia is almost exclusively a problem for people who play content from burned disks -- largely pirates and to a much lesser extent people who want to make backups for their kids to destroy. It can be a problem for people who want to use their BD players to stream local content -- they simply need to add a media player to solve the problem. Cinavia is of no consequence or concern to people like us -- a very small minority -- who rip and unprotect content for playback using media players without a BDA license. Hence what SlySoft is doing is of academic interest but will have no impact on us -- their efforts are largely for servicing their pirate clientèle. Of note, DVD Fab has taken a different approach to Cinavia. It has them beat, so they have their moderators berate and ridicule posters on their forum who complain about DVD Fab's lack of a "Cinavia solution" for burning disks and tell them to put the rips on an external HDD and buy a media player -- and stop complaining.
pepar likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7760 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
I disagree. Look at the bigger picture. Every time a new copy protection is defeated it is good for end users with media servers, media streamers and even HTPCs. The studios waste a tremendous amount of money on this and I personally smile when it was all a waste of time.
Except of course that they're whining to their governments demanding tougher enforcement such as the one against DVDfab's programmer.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7761 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Except of course that they're whining to their governments demanding tougher enforcement such as the one against DVDfab's programmer.

That is all fine and good.. But once Pandora's box is open there is no closing it. The governments can do whatever they want, but the cat is out of the bag and development will continue with or without consent. Legit or grey market. Cinavia's armor has been tarnished. I would love to see it eradicated just like Polio was many years ago.
Of no importance to the topic at all. I just watched The Imitation Game again last night. Everyone said the German Enigma machine was unbreakable. We all know how that turned out. Great movie by the way. Cinavia will be beaten and rendered useless.

Last edited by blackssr; 04-13-2015 at 01:29 PM.
post #7762 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:21 PM
Wireless member

Some have lost perspective on this and have romanticized it into an epic battle of Good vs. Evil.
post #7763 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 129
this one could have used a few more bad analogies though

Quote:
That is all fine and good.. But once Pandora's box is open there is no closing it. The governments can do whatever they want, but the cat is out of the bag and development will continue with or without consent. Legit or grey market. Cinavia's armor has been tarnished. I would love to see it eradicated just like Polio was many years ago.
Of no importance to the topic at all. I just watched The Imitation Game again last night. Everyone said the German Enigma machine was unbreakable. We all know how that turned out. Great movie by the way. Cinavia will be beaten and rendered useless.
post #7764 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
this one could have used a few more bad analogies though
I agree... I lost control. . I have a problem with rules and being told what to do. Too much caffeine this morning.

post #7765 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1207 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Quote:
Apparently it sounds like crap with echos right now and audio speed changes and it gets re-encoded to lossy audio. So you currently would lose any lossless quality.
Anything I have ever read about efforts to combat Cinavia anticipated this. The watermark is so tightly entwined in the audio that reconstructing it after watermark removal would require reference to the original soundtrack. I'm sure they will eventually refine their algorithms and get it to sound "OK", probably even "good", but it will never be up to the quality of the original lossless HD audio. I suspect that really won't matter for the audience this crack is aimed at.

Like you I'm glad I don't have to concern myself with it. I only follow the goings on of Cinavia from an academic interest. As I've noted before, Cinavia is almost purely a Sony play. The other studios have shown little interest and over the past couple years only Universal has released a smattering of Cinavia protected titles.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7766 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I agree, most down loaders have no interest in HD audio or even video quality. Cinavia doesn't impact my viewing experience or my equipment. I just want it defeated because it has been so persistent and difficult to defeat.

post #7767 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 03:53 PM

Well if they want to keep putting in these stupid DRM restrictions to annoy the hell out of "pirates" (which isn't even the right word since making a backup of a movie you bought is not the same thing as robbery on the high seas), let them. Someone always has and always will find ways around it.

If they really want to make it so inconvenient, then I will stop buying their stuff and soon everyone else will too. Cinavia is exactly the reason why Blu-ray player manufacturers lost a customer in me. Rip it out of the Blu-ray player and I'll buy one. All it is about and all it's ever been about is the studios having 100% total control over the content you paid for. That's the same reason why music and movie studios are pushing streaming so heavily.

This is all caused by that worthless 1999 DMCA written by lobbyists.

Last edited by hogger129; 04-13-2015 at 03:58 PM.
post #7768 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Wireless member

^^^ Geez, hogger, tell us how you really feel.
post #7769 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
^^^ Geez, hogger, tell us how you really feel.
It pisses me off. If I am buying the content, then why can't I have it without DRM? The people uploading this stuff to torrent sites are going to find ways around the DRM anyway, so what difference does it make other than to annoy me, the paying customer?
DotJun likes this.
post #7770 of 8060 Old 04-13-2015, 05:59 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
It pisses me off. If I am buying the content, then why can't I have it without DRM? The people uploading this stuff to torrent sites are going to find ways around the DRM anyway, so what difference does it make other than to annoy me, the paying customer?
The studios are not selling you content. They are selling you a product that contains content as well as some level of means to protect their content. Why have a cow over it? The product is well known in advance, what it is, what it isn't. It's not like we are ignorant and unsuspecting customers being forced to purchase. Plus, discussed every time this comes up are the ways to avoid being negatively impacted by Cinevia. Read Kelson's post.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
3d blu-ray , blu ray , copier , Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player , home cinema , ripper
Gear in this thread - blu by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page