Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 260 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #7771 of 7795 Old 04-13-2015, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
It pisses me off. If I am buying the content, then why can't I have it without DRM? The people uploading this stuff to torrent sites are going to find ways around the DRM anyway, so what difference does it make other than to annoy me, the paying customer?
You are right that there are people that will undoubtedly always find away around DRM especially the crowd who torrents... however, if DRM didn't exist then there wouldn't be a deterrent. Just think of how many people are deterred by the fact that DRM creates a little bit of a hassle for them when it comes to ripping media.

Gear: Pioneer VSX-1124-K, NHT Classic Three (L/R), Classic Two (rear) TwoC (center).
PSA V1500 (x2)
HTPC/server (MB3), Fire TV Stick, Chromecast
OTA Winegard HD7698P
Sharp LC-60SQ15U (HCFR calibrated)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7772 of 7795 Old 04-13-2015, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Do you store the content uncompressed? How large of a hard drive are you running? I was thinking about getting a WD Green 4TB, but not sure if I want to spend the money if the larger 6TB would come down in price any time soon.
You can get very nice 8tb external WD duo books for 329 they have 2 red 4tb and can do raid 0,1 or jbod and you can connect them to each other to keep expanding..i just added 2 because my 20tb internal on my pc was getting full and its been pretty seamless...they even have larger a 2x5 and 2x6 the 2x6 is like 500 and their not as fast as the 2x4.... thats why I went with the 2....but if you look around prices have really came down on the self contained units that are the easiest to integrate. I actually think if you dont mind having a couple of dictionary sized books you cant go wrong with them....considering that a bare 6tb red is 300 and you have to install it or put it in something...IMO

Last edited by JimSatala77; 04-13-2015 at 10:18 PM.
post #7773 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 05:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughy2010 View Post
if DRM didn't exist then there wouldn't be a deterrent. Just think of how many people are deterred by the fact that DRM creates a little bit of a hassle for them when it comes to ripping media.
I wonder about that. I realize it is a different media business, but the music industry seems to be thriving without DRM. MP3's purchased from Amazon have no DRM, CD's have no DRM and can be easily ripped. Maybe rock stars are not making as much money as they possibly can but they appear to be making more than enough to support their high-end lifestyles.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7774 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I wonder about that. I realize it is a different media business, but the music industry seems to be thriving without DRM. MP3's purchased from Amazon have no DRM, CD's have no DRM and can be easily ripped. Maybe rock stars are not making as much money as they possibly can but they appear to be making more than enough to support their high-end lifestyles.
More layers, more fingers in the pie with film than music.
post #7775 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
More layers, more fingers in the pie with film than music.
And more money on the line.
http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/budgets/all
pepar likes this.
post #7776 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSatala77 View Post
You can get very nice 8tb external WD duo books for 329 they have 2 red 4tb
The WD "Cloud" products have red drives. The WD "Book" products do not.

David
post #7777 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Has anyone noticed the dvdfab servers were down yesterday evening? The program kept coming up with "Unknown error". I haven't tried yet today.
post #7778 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Even easier, search back in this thread for my posts that list the IP address for downloading the European versions (uncrippled).

edit:
http://174.142.97.100/download/DVDFab9196.exe
Get out. Is this a joke? All you have to do is install that version and you get the full suite of fab? Or just the dvdfabhddecryptor?
post #7779 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Wireless member

No joke. All they could do was stop DVDFab from offering the software on their US website, and maybe serve up the US site to any IP address in the US. Direct IP address access to the site - as in the one Kelson provided, or somehow not showing a US IP address, still works.
post #7780 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 01:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Get out. Is this a joke? All you have to do is install that version and you get the full suite of fab? Or just the dvdfabhddecryptor?
That is direct to one of their non-US servers and the downloads are for people who have a paid license for DVD Fab. I've read people say the free HD decrypter from these newer downloads doesn't work for anything new any more. They have cut way back on the free decrypter capabilities.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7781 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
That is direct to one of their non-US servers and the downloads are for people who have a paid license for DVD Fab.
You mean they use DRM to prevent piracy??
ScottJ likes this.
post #7782 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
You mean they use DRM to prevent piracy??
No, what I meant is that they have cut way back on the capabilities of the free HD Decrypter so that the download is only really useful to people who have paid the fee for the software's full capabilities.

- kelson h

post #7783 of 7795 Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Maybe rock stars are not making as much money as they possibly can but they appear to be making more than enough to support their high-end lifestyles.
The RIAA certainly doesn't see it like that.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
post #7784 of 7795 Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
That is direct to one of their non-US servers and the downloads are for people who have a paid license for DVD Fab.
Oh it's for paid customers. Someone posted above about VPN' to an IP in Canada to get the full-featured free version.
post #7785 of 7795 Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM
Wireless member

The comment was that they were, as a worldwide strategy, not updating the free version as often. I'd guess their sales revenue has taken a hit since the takedown was put into effect. That has caused them to lessen the utility of the free version. With a non-US IP address I am told that one can still BUY the ripper or whatever the heck it is called.

Jeff
post #7786 of 7795 Old Yesterday, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnBlanker View Post
Oh it's for paid customers. Someone posted above about VPN' to an IP in Canada to get the full-featured free version.
There are only 2 versions of DVD Fab: the US version and the rest-of-the-world version. There is nothing free any more. The utility of the free HD Decrypter module has been substantially decreased. If you are looking for free, I think MakeMKV is your only choice that stands a chance of ripping current BD titles.

If you don't want MKV, you can use the full disk rip option to rip it to the HDD and process it with whatever you want. I ran it along side DVD Fab for comparison and found that MakeMKV kept up with DVD Fab and ripped >95% of current titles. Very few that it choked on and they have probably been accommodated in updates since I experimented.

- kelson h

Last edited by Kelson; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
post #7787 of 7795 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you don't want MKV, you can use the full disk rip option to rip it to the HDD and process it with whatever you want.
Are you talking about the backup option in MakeMKV or something else?
post #7788 of 7795 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Are you talking about the backup option in MakeMKV
Yes, it does a full disk rip for BD's.
Ken.F likes this.

- kelson h

post #7789 of 7795 Old Today, 05:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Yes, it does a full disk rip for BD's.
How does that work in MakeMKV? The only thing I've noticed is if you select all the titles it will have a version of each one. So with a lionsgate title that would be hundreds. And too many to store on a hard drive.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7790 of 7795 Old Today, 05:57 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 949 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
How does that work in MakeMKV? The only thing I've noticed is if you select all the titles it will have a version of each one. So with a lionsgate title that would be hundreds. And too many to store on a hard drive.
There is a Backup menu option available before you open the disc. After you open the disc the option is removed.

-Bill

Review older films here: 1979 and earlier | 1980s | 1990s | Combined reviews: Strange Picture Scroll
Unofficial OPPO FAQS: BDP-103 | BDP-93 | BDP-83 | BDP-80    
post #7791 of 7795 Old Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post
There is a Backup menu option available before you open the disc. After you open the disc the option is removed.

-Bill
If you do already have a disc open, you can just click "Close" from the file menu and the backup option will be enabled again. I was completely exiting out of the program and opening it again to enable backup before I realized I could just close the disc.
post #7792 of 7795 Old Today, 06:15 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

-Bill
OK. Thanks. I see that now. Although It looks like it puts it in a folder format. Which is something I've always tried to avoid.

Although for being a free program, it does a lot more than expected.

LED DLP
post #7793 of 7795 Old Today, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
OK. Thanks. I see that now. Although It looks like it puts it in a folder format. Which is something I've always tried to avoid.
In my case, a folder rip is preferred because it is easily fed to other processing tools like Clown_BD for main_title extraction. An ISO is easily obtained with ImgBurn if desired. That would be a preferred tool for someone like you who just does full disk rips to ISO.

- kelson h

post #7794 of 7795 Old Today, 06:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
In my case, a folder rip is preferred because it is easily fed to other processing tools like Clown_BD for main_title extraction. An ISO is easily obtained with ImgBurn if desired. That would be a preferred tool for someone like you who just does full disk rips to ISO.
ImgBurn is what I typically use with AnyDVD HD running in the background.

LED DLP
post #7795 of 7795 Old Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm going to ask my question here anyway. At least it's not about subtitles !

I have the three Lichtmond Blu-rays and I want to extract just the audio to FLAC with best possible quality and in the full 7.1 from the disc. Audio on the disc is DTS HD-MA. I also want each track separate so it shows up like a normal audio album on my PCH.

I've tried DVD Audio Extractor but it doesn't seem to recognise the 7.1, offering only 5.1.

I've also tried DVDFab but when ripping just the audio to either FLAC or WAV it doesn't offer 7.1 or 24/96. Strangely it offers only 48k and a bit rate.

So at the moment I've ripped with DVDFab using the audio copy profile which has given me each track as a DTS HD-MA file.

Any ideas on how I convert this to 7.1 FLAC ?

Googling on the problem has lead me to eac3to but it doesn't seem at all straight forward to do what I want. If this is the correct solution I'm afraid I need the dummy's guide on how to do it.

Cheers,
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com