Ripping Blu-Rays II - Page 261 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #7801 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Compressed? Select MKV Remux under Target Media and leave everything else untouched. You can't have several streams though, IIRC.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7802 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 01:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by techflaws View Post
Compressed? Select MKV Remux under Target Media and leave everything else untouched. You can't have several streams though, IIRC.
Sorry Im confused about this...
When I read about it, they say its only for making a BD half the size of the original, I don't want that.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build
post #7803 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 03:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place, but I'm going to ask my question here anyway. At least it's not about subtitles !

I have the three Lichtmond Blu-rays and I want to extract just the audio to FLAC with best possible quality and in the full 7.1 from the disc. Audio on the disc is DTS HD-MA. I also want each track separate so it shows up like a normal audio album on my PCH.

I've tried DVD Audio Extractor but it doesn't seem to recognise the 7.1, offering only 5.1.

I've also tried DVDFab but when ripping just the audio to either FLAC or WAV it doesn't offer 7.1 or 24/96. Strangely it offers only 48k and a bit rate.

So at the moment I've ripped with DVDFab using the audio copy profile which has given me each track as a DTS HD-MA file.

Any ideas on how I convert this to 7.1 FLAC ?

Googling on the problem has lead me to eac3to but it doesn't seem at all straight forward to do what I want. If this is the correct solution I'm afraid I need the dummy's guide on how to do it.

Cheers,

Eac3to inputfile.m2ts stream# outputfile.flac

For instance,
Eac3to 00800.m2ts :4 song.flac
post #7804 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 03:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As I understand the deal, if I want to rip a commercial BD to a hard drive, as a minimum I will need 1) a computer drive that reads BDs and 2) the AnyDVD HD software which costs 79 euros (currently $85). Is this correct?

And something like the free ImgBurn will be needed to do the actual ripping, but it's AnyDVD HD that makes this possible (?).
post #7805 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lils Roro View Post
As I understand the deal, if I want to rip a commercial BD to a hard drive, as a minimum I will need 1) a computer drive that reads BDs and 2) the AnyDVD HD software which costs 79 euros (currently $85). Is this correct?

And something like the free ImgBurn will be needed to do the actual ripping, but it's AnyDVD HD that makes this possible (?).
You need a computer drive that reads BDs and MakeMKV (free).
post #7806 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
You need a computer drive that reads BDs and MakeMKV (free).
Thanks much Ken.F. This isn't made clear at all in the OP's opening salvo.

What I want from each BD is the movie only, original audio, no chapter breaks, menus, or subtitles, and the ability to compress the video down to 10 gb's if I want. I presume I can do this with MAkeMKV or use another program like Handbrake on what MakeMKV gives me.
post #7807 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Thanks much Ken.F. This isn't made clear at all in the OP's opening salvo.

What I want from each BD is the movie only, original audio, no chapter breaks, menus, or subtitles, and the ability to compress the video down to 10 gb's if I want. I presume I can do this with MAkeMKV or use another program like Handbrake on what MakeMKV gives me.
Yes, you can use MakeMKV to save the movie only plus whatever audio and subtitle tracks you choose in a MKV container. You can then further process the mkv file with Handbrake to compress and remove the chapter marks. I don't know why anyone would want to remove the chapter markers but Handbrake can do that.
post #7808 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:

Any DVD HD can rip to ISO or folders. The option is there when you right click on the Fox symbol. But I typically use ImgBurn because I like the large 1GB buffer it has. Which can come into play if I rip several titles concurrently. WIth each instance of ImgBUrn open having up to a 1GB buffer.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #7809 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions for my little problem.

I looked at VLC but it's conversion abilities seem limited - all it gave me was sample freq and bit rate choices - no bit depth.

I persevered with eac3to and eventually figured it out, however after conversion I tried to play the FLAC tracks and all I got was silence ! My processor showed 7.1 PCM input but there was no sound.

I think the problem may be the DTS decoder - I didn't download anything from arcsoft and just used eac3to exactly as downloaded. It didn't throw up any errors and appeared to do the conversion OK, but now I'm thinking this may have been my problem.

What I've done to keep me going is to use DVDFab to rip to MKV just the audio as pass through and it plays fine as 7.1 DTS HD-MA.

I'll probably download the arcsoft DTS decoder and give eac3to another try.

Cheers,
post #7810 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
When I read about it, they say its only for making a BD half the size of the original, I don't want that.
Sure, but as I said it has various output options and if you wanted you could simply use it's scan function to find (unflagged) forced sub tracks.

Tech Flaws
post #7811 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sure, but as I said it has various output options and if you wanted you could simply use it's scan function to find (unflagged) forced sub tracks.

Ok can you tell me how long does it take to rip the BD as a 1to1 copy on average?
I also see that you need to buy AnyDVD BD when using direct from a BD.
I only want to rip my BDs for my HTPC.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #7812 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 11:40 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Guys,

I looked at VLC but it's conversion abilities seem limited - all it gave me was sample freq and bit rate choices - no bit depth.
?

Bit "rate" is bit depth.
post #7813 of 7826 Old 04-19-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Not as I understand it.

Bit rate = 128/256/512 kbps. Bit depth = 16/20/24 bits.

Cheers,
post #7814 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Ripping Blu-Rays II

Quote:
Guys,

I persevered with eac3to and eventually figured it out, however after conversion I tried to play the FLAC tracks and all I got was silence ! My processor showed 7.1 PCM input but there was no sound.

I think the problem may be the DTS decoder - I didn't download anything from arcsoft and just used eac3to exactly as downloaded. It didn't throw up any errors and appeared to do the conversion OK, but now I'm thinking this may have been my problem.

What I've done to keep me going is to use DVDFab to rip to MKV just the audio as pass through and it plays fine as 7.1 DTS HD-MA.

I'll probably download the arcsoft DTS decoder and give eac3to another try.

Cheers,

Your flac isn't playing because you either have no codec to decode it or your codec is setup wrong.

Edit: you don't need arcsoft to encode to flac. Each uses libav.
post #7815 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Not as I understand it.

Bit rate = 128/256/512 kbps. Bit depth = 16/20/24 bits.

Cheers,
Yes, and I am a bit confused.
post #7816 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Ok can you tell me how long does it take to rip the BD as a 1to1 copy on average?
It depends on the speed of your drive and processing power. If you're looking to make a 1:1 copy including menus etc then all you need is AnyDVDHD and a player that supports BD ISO w/full menus.

Otherwise, what I do, is rip just the main movie and HD audio track to a .ts file. I use AnyDVDHD (paid) and ToNMT (free). From posters on this thread I'm a rare-breed that uses ToNMT. ToNMT also rips HDDVDs (if you have those like I do).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #7817 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Mostly depends on the read speed of the burner you are using to do the rip and to a lesser extent the processing power of the PC. I use 16X LG burners on an i7 desktop and it generally takes 25-30 min to rip a full disk 1:1 to folder structure using either DVD Fab or MakeMKV. Some disks have peculiar copy protection and may take up to an hour.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7818 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
Your flac isn't playing because you either have no codec to decode it or your codec is setup wrong.
I don't think this is the problem as I'm using my PCH A-400 to stream and convert to 7.1 PCM. My processor confirms it is receiving 7.1 PCM.

I still think the problem is in the conversion from DTS to FLAC.

Cheers,
post #7819 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope, cause I'm not using it. I just mentioned it as pretty much the only tool to automatically identify unflagged forced subs. Just go with what Kelson wrote.

Tech Flaws
post #7820 of 7826 Old 04-20-2015, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope, cause I'm not using it. I just mentioned it as pretty much the only tool to automatically identify unflagged forced subs. Just go with what Kelson wrote.
Ok Im starting to get somewhere here....

I have bought AnyDVD HD, Ive downloaded BDtoAVCHD and done a test to MKV, it works fine. However for getting unflagged forced subtitles Im confussed here. The tutorial is very brief and doesn't go into these sorts of things, is there a more comprehensive tutorial that anyone knows for BDtoAVCHD or a forum for it?

What Im trying to find out is, does one only use the "Subtitles" Scan Bitrates if the subs are not forced? It takes a very long time to do this, after its been scanned what happens to it, is it automatically added to the film or do I have to doe something to attach it?

Also what is the Advanced section in "subtitles" what does it do and what is it used for, again its not clear?

Do I then have to select under Target Subtitle, None, Untouched or Flagged forced?

Also is there a way to moved them UP out of the black boarder on the bottom of scope films?

Sorry for all the question, just trying to get unflagged forced subtitles working on films that need them....

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
post #7821 of 7826 Old 04-22-2015, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think this is the problem as I'm using my PCH A-400 to stream and convert to 7.1 PCM. My processor confirms it is receiving 7.1 PCM.

I still think the problem is in the conversion from DTS to FLAC.

Cheers,

Play your finished file on a computer using mpc-hc without streaming to check if it is indeed your file at fault or something else in the chain.
post #7822 of 7826 Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 27
All the sudden my dvdfab stopped auto-checking for new versions. I can get the non-crippled versions, but I am curious as to why this happened. It used to be so much easier as it would prompt me "Would you like to update?" and I would click yes, and it would download the updated non-crippled version.
post #7823 of 7826 Unread Today, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Are there any drives particularly suite better for use with MakeMKV?

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #7824 of 7826 Unread Today, 11:55 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Are there any drives particularly suite better for use with MakeMKV?
BD reading drives? Whatever software you use to rip will be limited by the drive read speed. So, whatever software you use, use a drive with the fastest read speed.
post #7825 of 7826 Unread Today, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
BD reading drives? Whatever software you use to rip will be limited by the drive read speed. So, whatever software you use, use a drive with the fastest read speed.
I use MakeMKV on linux, but I was just curious. I thought I recalled back in the day certain drives were better to use than other because of direct disc access mode or something like that. Perhaps those days are in the past, not sure. I wanted to buy a new drive...

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #7826 of 7826 Unread Today, 12:25 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
I use MakeMKV on linux, but I was just curious. I thought I recalled back in the day certain drives were better to use than other because of direct disc access mode or something like that. Perhaps those days are in the past, not sure. I wanted to buy a new drive...
"DMA?" (Direct Memory Access) That would be a hardware and operating system issue, if it is still an issue at all. I think that went away with SATA, but I could be mistaken.
Reply Networking, Media Servers & Content Streaming

Tags
Dune Hd Smart B1 1080p Media Player
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page